Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
does combat realism work with the beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there a way to intentionally start a fire without a molotov or incendiary launcher? The pyromaniacs manage to do it all the time, but only on their own initiative it seems.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a way to intentionally start a fire without a molotov or incendiary launcher? The pyromaniacs manage to do it all the time, but only on their own initiative it seems.

Enough heaters in a small room to reach ignition temperature and a wooden door so it gets through?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Would be cool if certain factions liked/disliked drugs, and would be more likely to raid or trade with you based on those modifiers. Could see raiders attacking for crack or alternatively outlander towns attacking you for growing marijuana.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The game really has it out for me lately.

A group of bandits shows up and sets up a mortar in cul-de-sac that I can't root them out of. I manage to inflict one kill and a few injuries before my team is forced to retreat. Shelling kills one colony member before the raiders decide to attack and are shredded by my precision turret (which I dropped with for some reason, possibly because all of my starting colonists had godawful combat skills). The guy killed was the father of one of my colonists and friends with everyone else, so between that and the freezer full of raider tenderloin (for trading only -- there's plenty of caribou meat -- but "butchering humanlike" is a debuff to the entire colony) everyone is unhappy.

A new guy, Bjorn, joins the colony, immediately asks my one-armed farmer (Lars) out four times and gets shot down every time. So now he's on the verge of snapping.

Then the toxic fallout plume arrives. I immediately set up area limitations and embark on a crash roof-construction program. A few brave volunteers wade through the green ash to get the rest of the corn harvest in before it's buried.

Over the following day, I'm hit with a solar eclipse, then a solar flare, then my power conduit -- the one running right through my main storeroom -- explodes. All of this I manage to survive. A few people go on eating binges. Bjorn snaps and goes berserk only to be laid out cold by Lars.

The next day, with the toxic ash still falling, a starship fragment containing a hostile psi projector crash-lands in the swamp to the west. Well, poo poo. I gear up my four-person militia and send them out to deal with the problem, figuring that while it'll take a while to plink the ship to death, the toxin buildup won't happen fast enough to be a problem.

As soon as they open fire, killer robots boil out of the ship. Lars is killed stone cold dead in the first volley. Everyone else retreats. The robots destroy my turret (which I have no way of replacing) before I can get Kerman re-equipped with EMP grenades, only to discover that the robots rapidly build EMP resistance. It buys some time, but everyone suffers injuries and Kerman's jaw is shot clean off. The fight ends with him punching the disabled centipede to death. Everyone returns to base for medical care, and then I grab the least injured of them, hand her a bandolier of frag grenades, and send her out to finish demolishing the starship. That at least goes as planned.

Meanwhile, back at base, Bjorn has gone berserk again as his stalking obsession Lars is dead. He picks a fight with all the cobras in the dining room --

Wait, why the gently caress are there cobras in the dining room?
Right, because I have Hospitality installed and some visitors decided it would be fun to leave me a clutch of fertilized cobra eggs as a thank-you gift, and I forgot to deal with them.

-- and kills them all, but not before they bite the poo poo out of him. He's now bedridden (again) and in extreme pain (again).

Finally, the one bright spot in this litany of failure and incompetence arrives, a bulk goods caravan that I can trade all of my long pig to in exchange for vast wealth and medical supplies. I send my surviving trader out into the ashfall to deal with them, and just as I'm finalizing the trade, the game crashes.

:negative:

(This latest version seems really crashy if I play it for more than an hour at a time or so, but I'm not sure if that's a problem with the game or with the mods. That's definitely the least opportune crash I've seen so far, though.)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mzbundifund posted:

You can also give pacifists a power shield and your strongest armor and have them run around in front of the enemy, distracting them while the other colonists fill them with lead.

This is extremely effective, especially because they are protected from friendly fire. Do this.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It seems like its impossible to save a colonist dying of an infection if you don't get to it early enough. I'm guessing the way it works is that as soon as the colonist develops an infection/disease, they slowly start building immunity (safe). But the 'treatment' cycles seem to step up very fast as well. So you have to hope they hit immunity before the treatment timer during the 'extreme' phase expires I guess. And lately it seems like my colonists are incredibly prone to getting infection; in fact I think I'm going to restart and try again because while I have a modest colony going with 7 people, so much as a scratch on one dooms them to die a horrible, painful death. I have a hospital bed and medkits, as well as a few colonists with 8 or 9 in medicine. But time and time again they get hurt and I have to MANUALLY tell my other guys (even with Doctoring set to 1 priority) to treat them, manually clean the areas around them, etc. Its extremely frustrating.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Is it possible to cure someone with gut worms/sensory mechanites/fibrous mechanites or are they just in pain until I get one of those pain blocker thingies?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Gut worms can be cured by replacing their stomach with another one, and I hear it can also eventually go away on its own if you keep treating it, although it's a hell of a medicine sink. I do not know of a way to cure mechanites, but they also will go away on their own.

Panfilo posted:

It seems like its impossible to save a colonist dying of an infection if you don't get to it early enough.
Its extremely frustrating.

Yeah infections are a huge pain. The best way to handle them without enormous micro is to set up an "ER zone" composed of a bedroom (for the doctor), the hospital, and a small food/medicine freezer. When someone gets an infection, restrict the doctor to only that zone, and pump cleaning / doctoring tasks to priority 1. The doctor will have little to do so will automatically clean everything obsessively, and will see to treatment tasks right away. Once you get wealthier you can add sterile floors, vitals monitors, hospital beds, etc., and you'll be guaranteed to be safe from infection.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's weird, either all that medical stuff ends up being overkill or you never have it when you desperately need it.

A hospital room with sterile tile, hospital bed and vitals monitor appears to allow you the biggest bonus to treating sick and injured. Chances are though when you get that stuff your colonists just tend to die outright and it seldom gets used.

I'm curious about the efficiency of breathing, circulation and filtering in regards to disease. Most seem to just affect consciousness but I'd imagine having a bad heart and one kidney can really make an infection much worse; certainly in real life people die all the time due to cascading organ failures that lead to a normally benign infection finishing them off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ChickenWing posted:

Is it possible to cure someone with gut worms/sensory mechanites/fibrous mechanites or are they just in pain until I get one of those pain blocker thingies?

They both require a fixed number of treatments to cure. The desurgeries mods let's you cure it outright (at the cost of like 12 medicine)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gut worms definitely go away if you keep treating them. I've never replaced a stomach.

Infections can be handled like so: Treat them as often as possible, as quickly as possible. Each treatment will raise the immunity level depending on the quality (which goes up with better medicine and better doctors). Keep them bedridden until the infection goes away, the immunity level goes up 110% faster in beds (114% in a medical bed). You also want to treat wounds before they get infected. Prioritize prompt medical care. Once they develop an immunity the infection will rapidly disappear and they'll be fine.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
restrict the wounded to the hospital, with their own fridge and medicine store, walking wounded can help clean and feed

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Set the sick people's work restrictions to 24 hour sleep, about the only thing I've found that'll actually keep them in bed

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Azhais posted:

Set the sick people's work restrictions to 24 hour sleep, about the only thing I've found that'll actually keep them in bed

If they haven't been put in a hospital bed yet, select the pawn and right-click an open bed -> rest until healed

If they are already in bed, select them, press 'r', move them one square over, press 'r' again then right-click bed -> rest until healed

If they are incapacitated, wait to do this until they are able to move on their own.

Patient Priority 1 is fine also, for less serious non-bleeding injuries.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

If their "patient" priority is set higher than everything else, clicking them and choosing "rest until healed" on a bed will keep them there until they are healed. Under normal circumstances they will get out of bed for fires and to tend other people, but that's just usually the default of how the priority system is set up. If they aren't set as doctors or as firefighters then they will not get up at all.

^^ yeah, right.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How do you prevent infection from occurring in the first place? I used to think that prompt medical treatment of injuries would help, but it doesn't seem to; injured colonists who receive immediate medical treatment seem to get infected just as often as the ones who shrug off those half-dozen emu bites and go right back to work.

Azhais posted:

In a previous settlement I lost my chef because, despite having an infected lung and bleeding profusely from eight bullet wounds, he absolutely refused to stay in bed long enough to be treated. He'd collapse from blood loss or something, the medics would drag him back into the hospital and patch another wound or two, and then he'd leap out of bed, shove them aside, and stagger back towards to the kitchen because the colony really needed those loving roast potatoes. Eventually the lung infection claimed him and he was found face down in the potatoes later that day.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
nailed it.

I kinda like micromanaging the health of the colony. Reminds me a little bit of Theme Hospital.

"Poor Timmy's back with the gut worms again"

No, don't give him the good medicine...

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 18, 2016

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

How do you prevent infection from occurring in the first place? I used to think that prompt medical treatment of injuries would help, but it doesn't seem to; injured colonists who receive immediate medical treatment seem to get infected just as often as the ones who shrug off those half-dozen emu bites and go right back to work.

In a previous settlement I lost my chef because, despite having an infected lung and bleeding profusely from eight bullet wounds, he absolutely refused to stay in bed long enough to be treated. He'd collapse from blood loss or something, the medics would drag him back into the hospital and patch another wound or two, and then he'd leap out of bed, shove them aside, and stagger back towards to the kitchen because the colony really needed those loving roast potatoes. Eventually the lung infection claimed him and he was found face down in the potatoes later that day.

Clean hospital rooms. The sterile tiles help a ton (that's their purpose) because they are the only thing with a positive cleanliness rating (0 is clean, a positive number is sterile).

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Welp, just had a dude go on a sad wander in the middle of a shootout because he was rejected earlier by a girl.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tsyni posted:

If their "patient" priority is set higher than everything else, clicking them and choosing "rest until healed" on a bed will keep them there until they are healed. Under normal circumstances they will get out of bed for fires and to tend other people, but that's just usually the default of how the priority system is set up. If they aren't set as doctors or as firefighters then they will not get up at all.

^^ yeah, right.

It used to, it doesn't anymore. If they're schedule is set to work, no force on heaven or earth short of removing their drat legs will keep them in bed. A13 or thereabouts broke that. Now if they're set to work even "rest until healed" won't keep them in bed if their rest need is maxed out. The only thing even forbidding their doors accomplishes is preventing them from wandering off, but they won't stay in bed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bunleigh posted:

Welp, just had a dude go on a sad wander in the middle of a shootout because he was rejected earlier by a girl.

Reminds me of that Commodore in Pirates of the Caribbean 3 where he's just zoned out as his ship gets blasted apart.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azhais posted:

It used to, it doesn't anymore. If they're schedule is set to work, no force on heaven or earth short of removing their drat legs will keep them in bed. A13 or thereabouts broke that. Now if they're set to work even "rest until healed" won't keep them in bed if their rest need is maxed out. The only thing even forbidding their doors accomplishes is preventing them from wandering off, but they won't stay in bed.

Here's why:

code:
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Anything)
                return (double)curLevel < 0.300000011920929 ? 8f : 0.0f;
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Work)
                return 0.0f;
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Joy)
            if (timeAssignmentDef != TimeAssignmentDefOf.Sleep)
                throw new NotImplementedException();
            return (double)curLevel < 0.75 ? 8f : 0.0f;
If their schedule is set to Work, they will not rest. Period.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Bunleigh posted:

For the last two games, I've had no one get into a relationship. I hope it's not a mod causing it, ugh. Anyone know one that might cause it off the top of their head?

I had a colonist keep hitting on all the women continuously and get the mood debuff. A rescue I took in was his ex, and they keep getting in fights. He usually loses. Guy goes crazy after being a whiny pisser, starts sad wandering and strips himself of all his clothes while walking around a big plain.

First, I think, cool, he'll get over it and it'll be fine. Fucker stays that way for so long he's about to die from starving, so I send someone to arrest him, figuring I can force feed him. He fights and gets knocked out, I put him in bed. His doctor is a woman, who he keeps hitting on, and after patching him up, he hits on her from his sick bed and she rejects him. They start social fighting and she knocks him out. Both into a medical bed they go where he develops an infection and dies.

I was glad to be done with the sad sack at that point. He was this weirdo that literally was jumping out at the women all the time and trying to get with one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the constant advances/rebuffs loop driving your morale into the loving ground is extremely annoying.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's p realistic in my experience

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I have a constructor who has been nonstop hitting on this one girl for 2 years before suddenly out of the blue she accepted. He's such a good constructor by now he made a masterwork double bed for them. It depicts an empty duster moving to the right.

I don't really understand art.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

The number of times my colonist has decided vomiting was an event worth memorializing is at least at a solid dozen at this point.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
When you can't take photos and upload them to make fun of your friends for getting hammered for all eternity, you engrave headboards.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Squeegy posted:

Here's why:

code:
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Anything)
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Work)
                return 0.0f;
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Joy)
            if (timeAssignmentDef != TimeAssignmentDefOf.Sleep)
                throw new NotImplementedException();
            return (double)curLevel < 0.75 ? 8f : 0.0f;
If their schedule is set to Work, they will not rest. Period.

This makes sense, I only ever use 'anything' designation and mandatory joy periods, and don't have this problem.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Skaw posted:

When you can't take photos and upload them to make fun of your friends for getting hammered for all eternity, you engrave headboards.

That makes sense, but I would hesitate to put it on their sarcophagus, with an elephant looking on mournfully. It was apparently beautiful.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
What sort of herbal medicine heals a 'shredded torso' in a day :stare:

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mzbundifund posted:

I have a constructor who has been nonstop hitting on this one girl for 2 years before suddenly out of the blue she accepted. He's such a good constructor by now he made a masterwork double bed for them. It depicts an empty duster moving to the right.

I don't really understand art.

It is simple his sick new duster moved his attractiveness bar far enough right for her to say yes.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

What sort of herbal medicine heals a 'shredded torso' in a day :stare:

Eh, just stuff it full of leaves and sticks.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

What determines how long a siege lasts? I thought they'd give up once the shells ran out but they keep pulling more out of their arses.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I was checking the workshop to see what mods have been updated to A15 so far and I found the greatest scenario:

Good work there, Vinilly :thumbsup:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^^ A lonely bundle of sticks, off on his own

Walton Simons posted:

What determines how long a siege lasts? I thought they'd give up once the shells ran out but they keep pulling more out of their arses.

They'll eventually decide they've done enough damage and charge, but until then keep getting supplies dropped in. Just go murder them in their sleep.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Hmm, I'm in too bad a way to do that, really, I have personal shields but one of my guys still got shot during a midnight raid (I don't know what those numbers on the bottom of the screen mean and I can't find an explanation anywhere).

I'm think sneak up with personal shields and shotguns, kill one, run away?

Or just keep harassing them from cover and hope we can get a shot? They have more fighters than I do, more weapons and we're always injured and stressed.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 18, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Personal shields will prevent you using ranged weapons, just fyi. Those are melee items.

Which numbers on the bottom of the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I thought personal shields were useless at point blank range, would it not work the other way, as in walking right up to a sleeping besieger and shooting them?

Like Personal Shield (normal, 32%) then say, 80/80 below it.

I'm guessing the first two are shield quality, condition until it falls apart and I don't know what the 80/80 does.