Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

yeah it's tone is all over the place before the end of act 3 and everything after, but I really love that part of the game and kinda forget about the first 5 hours where snake is wandering around the desert and forest and every metal gear character ever pops in for a chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It definitely has some issues cohering into a whole, but taken individually so many of the cutscenes are so good.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
4 needed to be a lot longer than it was to stretch out the plot dumps over some more time and add in more organic story transitions

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

no they will not posted:

i think MGS4 is more focused with wrapping up plot threads than developing a main uh thematic base like the other games in the series. which is a shame because the stuff with old snake realising the world has moved on without him, going back to a similarly crippled shadow moses, fist fighting ocelot until they're both exhausted and battered etc was all really good

That's my main issue. Everything is a retread. The bosses are reconfigured combinations of the older, more memorable ones. It even turns out that Psycho Mantis is really controlling the BB unit from beyond the grave, ignoring the fact that he seemed to regret his life and felt good in his final moments by helping Snake and Meryl in MGS1. The only new major gameplay element is the battlefield stuff and that's in less then 40% of the game.

And of course Snake is going to have a different perspective as an old man. I'm talking about his lack of character development or exploration of his condition. He had all these monologues in the other games that that explored his state of mind - MGS1 has the cynical, survival at all costs experienced solider stuff while still hitting on every chick he talks to. He regrows his humanity by the end of the game and learns to open up to people again. MGS2 follows that and he carries those lessons forward, developing a more philosophical and humanitarian outlook of social responsibility that he tries to pass onto Raiden and by extension you the player. In MGS4, War Has Changed and Snake is out of time and place. Okay, good and interesting, but like the guy above said, that stuff doesn't get much exploration in favor of concentrating on the plot of chasing Liquid around. Snake seems like he's reverted back to his cynical MGS1 personality. He says that he's no hero, just an old killer. That's interesting but it doesn't really go anywhere. It just feels shallower IMO.

Octocamo is a great idea.
The controls are really good.
Certain moments are excellent: The intro commercials, Act 1 and 2 gameplay, the setting of Act 3(wish it was another war zone though), the bike chase, Shadow Moses reveal and feels, microwave hallway, Ocelot fight.

I still like the game, don't get me wrong. I just think there's a lot of missed opportunity there.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

4 is amazing and it's the perfect conclusion to solid snake's story. the metal gear ray fight and the final liquid battle are pitch perfect

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nostradingus posted:

4 is amazing and it's the perfect conclusion to solid snake's story. the metal gear ray fight and the final liquid battle are pitch perfect

This

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

beepstreet posted:

I did some nice early morning gaming and beat MGS4. I got the Bear ranking. The last boss and certain points in the game are really great but overall I have a much lower respect for this game after this playthrough.

The gameplay is good, when you get to play that is, but the storyline is so fuckin bad. The futurist military dystopia is cool but it's constantly undermined by awful melodrama and lovely (literally) jokes. I realize this is Metal Gear but it's on a whole other level. The fact that Johnny gets Meryl and marries her in the already super bloated ending is insane. Snake goes through total hell in this game yet they still didn't have the balls to finish him off with dignity. Instead Big Boss shows up at the last minute to steal the spotlight, drops some last minute lovely plot twists (Eva knew that the body in Act 3 belonged to Solidus? So why the gently caress did she get so upset and jump in the fire?) I realize the whole game is kind of an allegory for Kojima being sick of the series but Jesus Christ.

Every character is way more shallow then any other iteration they've had and the new ones are all totally worthless. Drebin sucks rear end and his weapon shop system totally undermines the stealth mechanic. Johnny is insanely out of place in this supposedly deadly serious war setting. The BB unit is shallow as gently caress and their cutscenes with the models crying and crawling around as the camera zooms up on their gyrating tits rear end and labia is super cringey. Their back stories are a total joke. Otacon cries more about a woman he barely knows. Naomi speaks in bullshit riddles about fate and genes. Vamp returns and does his thing but we're supposed to feel sorry for him when he dies? Snake goes from this super confident philosophical optimist in MGS2 to one note cynical rear end in a top hat who acts more like Naked Snake then the guy from MGS1 or 2. Speaking of MGS2, Raiden goes from clever player metaphor to another bullshit tragic ninja, this time with the melodrama cranked to 11. The fact that MGS4 exists as a sequel to MGS2 at all pisses all over the point and ending of that game. It should have totally ignored it.

In MGS4, Kojima clearly is trying to clean his hands of the series by wrapping up every loose end and injecting in as much retarded fan service as possible. The charming, light hearted support team from MGS3 turns out to be The Patriots, Para Medic is Dr. Clark, Sigint is the DARPA chief and Zero, the guy who was obsessed with Bond movies and wanted to make a snake-shaped gun turns out to be the insane Illuminati mastermind behind it all. I could go on but this is already a huge friggin post.

If I ever play it again, I'm definitely skipping every last cutscene. My apologies to elf help book (I think) when I made fun of him awhile back for saying he would do the same.

All that being said I would still rather play it then this Metal Gear Survive bullshit.

I think your retarded. In fact, I wanna kick your rear end for saying that stuff.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Come at me little bish.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

All that aside, playing all the main games back to back over a month or so has been a trip. Taking Solid Snake from a tiny 8 bit sprite to a gloriously modeled ps3 character in a single unified storyline has been nuts and was definitely worth it. Killing BB and uh, the other guy, was crazy with all this other context the rest of the series builds up around them.

Has anyone played through Ghost Babel? Worth it?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beepstreet posted:

All that aside, playing all the main games back to back over a month or so has been a trip. Taking Solid Snake from a tiny 8 bit sprite to a gloriously modeled ps3 character in a single unified storyline has been nuts and was definitely worth it. Killing BB and uh, the other guy, was crazy with all this other context the rest of the series builds up around them.

Ghost Babel is cool

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The best part of 4 for me was how snake went from this legendary warrior to some old guy who gets poo poo on at every opportunity. This really comes through in the final briefing where he keeps trying to inject his opinion and everyone is like "uh huh ok old man, we've got this under control." I feel like kojima was expressing how his pupils has grown beyond his control and he felt left out

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

rediscover posted:

I think your retarded. In fact, I wanna kick your rear end for saying that stuff.

He works out

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

best voice acting in the series? (Other than david hayter of course)

robin atkin downes as kaz in v is great, he just sounds so bitter and pissy all the time. when you hear him on tapes more than you actually see him, it really helps characterize kaz

patric zimmerman as liquid ocelot in 4 was good too, perfectly ride the line between cheesy and TOO cheesy. if I had a brother I'd yell "brotherrrr!" at him

metal gear is cool

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

robin atkin downes as kaz in v is great, he just sounds so bitter and pissy all the time. when you hear him on tapes more than you actually see him, it really helps characterize kaz

patric zimmerman as liquid ocelot in 4 was good too, perfectly ride the line between cheesy and TOO cheesy. if I had a brother I'd yell "brotherrrr!" at him

metal gear is cool
The Boss

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kiefer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He was fantastic

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Colonel Campbell is really good as a straight man amidst loads of crazy ppl who occasionally turns into an insane AI

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

metal gear is cool

Liquid Snake, Vulcan Raven, Solidus, Volgin and Liquid Ocelot. I love all the theatrical over the top villains. Also a shout out to Grey Fox in MGS1, that guy sounded like he was making his lungs bleed to sound like that.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

beepstreet posted:

first mgs game i ever beat. I had like 2 game boy color only games and that was one of them. I love it

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

metal gear is cool

gotta go christopher randolph on this one. he nails hal and huey

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
much like emma's mom ha ha

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

no they will not posted:

gotta go christopher randolph on this one. he nails hal and huey

agreeing with this

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

just thinking about her voice gives me chills

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
second place quinton flynn because he does a great job as raiden in mgs2 and then in rising he gets progressively more and more like batman

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

HORMELCHILI posted:

just thinking about her voice gives me chills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxvN8CcouyQ

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I love how in MGS3 all the bosses are super proud of their names and say them to themselves all the time

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

I love how in MGS3 all the bosses are super proud of their names and say them to themselves all the time
Also they're fire type, insect type, etc.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also they're fire type, insect type, etc.

lol

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

no they will not posted:

much like emma's mom ha ha

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

beepstreet posted:

I still like the game, don't get me wrong. I just think there's a lot of missed opportunity there.

Agreed, OP. O waiyte, were talking about MGSV, rite? :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

New Yorker as Arsenal Gear crushes several city blocks: Hey!!! I'm walkin here!!!!!!!

Thought about this post and laughed again

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing MGS4 for the first time now and it's pretty good. I managed to avoid spoilers for eight years. I just finished Act 4

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fronz posted:

I'm playing MGS4 for the first time now and it's pretty good. I managed to avoid spoilers for eight years. I just finished Act 4
Act 4 is some good gaming.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I was a little annoyed that there wasn't much sneaking but it was still one of the most impressive acts in the game, especially the MGS1 flashback intro and the RAY fight and subsequent cutscene

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
adding in an entire chapter of robots so you can feel ok about killing everything is cool

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fronz posted:

I was a little annoyed that there wasn't much sneaking but it was still one of the most impressive acts in the game, especially the MGS1 flashback intro and the RAY fight and subsequent cutscene
I don't think the Metal Gear nostalgia in some of the earlier chapters necessarily works, but it sure does in 4 and 5.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

adding in an entire chapter of robots so you can feel ok about killing everything is cool

anyone else see snake go into hyper mode w/ the MG there

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The last boss was freaking badass.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

fronz posted:

The last boss was freaking badass.

YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snake and Ocelot injecting each other with the syringe juice is one of the greatest scenes in gaming history.

• Locked thread