Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ThndrShk2k posted:

Wait, so you're not bitching about campaign finances but the more un-noteworthy personal finances that come with appropriate time, especially since he had to deal with the whole election and didn't get it out at the normal time?

:psyduck:

This is more petty than I loving thought. Any semblance of a moral high ground on your part is shot.
I thought you were at least continuing on the expected campaign finance fraud bandwagon.

Not something so :sad:

Guess people who don't mail in taxes by the 18th of April are super felons for fraud in that case.

Everyone else managed to do it somehow

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ThndrShk2k posted:

Wait, so you're not bitching about campaign finances but the more un-noteworthy personal finances that come with appropriate time, especially since he had to deal with the whole election and didn't get it out at the normal time?

:psyduck:

are they un-noteworthy? probably. but in general we have disclosure laws because "trust me" has not worked very well in the past.

every other candidate is able to get their finances out on time despite also running campaigns. candidates worth vastly more money, with more complicated finances. the sanders campaign made quite a bit of money so it would not have cost a whole lot of money to just hire an accountant to compile the data into a form and submit it. so why didn't he do that?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
sandeerrs is a loving lame rear end scammer and shame SHAME on you if you donated to his scam
he never intended to get presidentcy
he intended to fluff his old rear end ego one last time

so his trumstone reads "dead gay sanders - he was important for a month once in 2016"

what a lame rear end poo poo
sanders, what a joke

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
the fact that bernie didn't release his financials is lovely and Bad, and I find it very objectionable, but i still think his campaign was in general a wonderful thing to have happened and i sincerely hope it creates the foundation for meaningful political change going forward

that's my post thanks for reading

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Concerned Citizen posted:

the bad thing is ]abusing the very generous law regarding extensions. whether or not there is actual fraud is irrelevant.

That is a very liberal choice of words you have there. To bad that's the absolute extent of your argument. It wasn't illegal. It wasn't unethical. From reading this thread, half of the people here aren't even really sure what goes into these disclosures, seeing that they're looking up dirt on his campaign finances instead of his tax returns or net worth.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

are they un-noteworthy? probably. but in general we have disclosure laws because "trust me" has not worked very well in the past.

every other candidate is able to get their finances out on time despite also running campaigns. candidates worth vastly more money, with more complicated finances. the sanders campaign made quite a bit of money so it would not have cost a whole lot of money to just hire an accountant to compile the data into a form and submit it. so why didn't he do that?

The other candidates were also running more organized and professional non-grassroots based campaigns that had the full backing of some sort of organization. (DNC, RNC, TRUMP Industries, etc)
Complicated finances =Sanders' campaign due to the small donations coming in so much.
Complicated finances != large donations that are easily logged and tracked.

Do you even realised how much of a quagmire Sander's financial tracking is compared to the other candidates who got less frequent donations of significantly larger amounts?

Pick up Quicken and start buying poo poo one item at a time at the store and try to organize that properly when you're buying $1000 worth of stuff every day at the store.
It's easier to do if you buy large items that cost more, not small items that cost less than a dollar each.

I'm pretty sure Sanders is more afraid of FEC poo poo for his campaign than prioritizing his own personal finance details. Especially since he was able to get an appropriate extension

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

That is a very liberal choice of words you have there. To bad that's the absolute extent of your argument. It wasn't illegal. It wasn't unethical. From reading this thread, half of the people here aren't even really sure what goes into these disclosures, seeing that they're looking up dirt on his campaign finances instead of his tax returns or net worth.

How do you feel about Priorities USA supporting Hillary.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Badger of Basra posted:

Everyone else managed to do it somehow

Mostly everyone submits their taxes before the deadline in April
Must be that those who get extensions are terrible people who want to defraud the government.

I mean, Everyone else managed to get their taxes in on time somehow, that must be the case.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pinterest Mom posted:

How do you feel about Priorities USA supporting Hillary.

They, like other PACs after the CU ruling, are legally barred from coordinating with Hillary's campaign so w/e

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005

ThndrShk2k posted:

Must be that those who get extensions are terrible people who want to defraud the government.

I mean, Everyone else managed to get their taxes in on time somehow, that must be the case.

Having worked for an accounting firm, I can assure you most extensions actually are terrible people who want to defraud the government. :(

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ThndrShk2k posted:

The other candidates were also running more organized and professional non-grassroots based campaigns that had the full backing of some sort of organization. (DNC, RNC, TRUMP Industries, etc)
Complicated finances =Sanders' campaign due to the small donations coming in so much.
Complicated finances != large donations that are easily logged and tracked.

Do you even realised how much of a quagmire Sander's financial tracking is compared to the other candidates who got less frequent donations of significantly larger amounts?

Pick up Quicken and start buying poo poo one item at a time at the store and try to organize that properly when you're buying $1000 worth of stuff every day at the store.
It's easier to do if you buy large items that cost more, not small items that cost less than a dollar each.

I'm pretty sure Sanders is more afraid of FEC poo poo for his campaign than prioritizing his own personal finance details. Especially since he was able to get an appropriate extension

i actually know exactly how much of a "quagmire" sander's financial tracking is. it is not at all, because it is almost entirely automated by NGP. it is not actually that difficult. the sanders campaign was a professional operation, it wasn't some ragtag group of rebels in a vermont forest. they had some of the most prominent and expensive consultants working for them. many of their staff had worked on other campaigns before.

the fec poo poo is small-fry, and really so are the personal finances. it would have taken maybe a day or two at most to put together the personal financial disclosure for sanders. he simply chose not to do so, and that was bad!

ThndrShk2k posted:

just to be clear: it's not just that he got an extension. it's that he took 2 extensions, then dropped out and decided that means he will never have to disclose because he is no longer a candidate. it's fairly blatant that he simply did not wish to disclose the information.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

it was definitely unethical, i disagree entirely. he used the extensions in an unprecedented way to dodge personal financial disclosure requirements until after voters had already cast their ballots. that's wrong.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ThndrShk2k posted:

Some people who file for extensions actually end up submitting returns eventually, instead of waiting out the clock until they magically don't have to anymore

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bill Buckner posted:

Having worked for an accounting firm, I can assure you most extensions actually are terrible people who want to defraud the government. :(

I don't think he was trying to defraud the government, it's just hard to justify a populist anti-1% message when you're a member of the 1%

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
actually, it's about ethics in financial disclosure statements

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
maybe he doesn't want people to know about those $100k payments from david brock to endorse hillary

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

maybe he doesn't want people to know about those $100k payments from david brock to endorse hillary

probably all the money he took from big maple

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Bill Buckner posted:

But not all!

The rest are lazy people or people who had a complicated year (and were too lazy to organize poo poo before april)

But yeah, most tax shenanigans are for more illicit purposes :(

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005

Bernie holding in a laugh while DEFRAUDING the United States of America with donations from his foreign national spy supporters!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

*INTERIOR: Bernie's luxurious bedroom in his new 5 million dollar vermont vacation home*
BERNIE (jolts awake): holy poo poo holy poo poo jane i had that dream again
JANE: what bernie, what is it?!
BERNIE: z.. zo... zoux. he was here. posting about me. AGAIN
JANE: jesus christ

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

just to be clear: it's not just that he got an extension. it's that he took 2 extensions, then dropped out and decided that means he will never have to disclose because he is no longer a candidate. it's fairly blatant that he simply did not wish to disclose the information.
Ah,
Probably would've better to explain that last part earlier as I don't read random twitter links from people who usually post non-important random twitter links about the candidate is bad.

Not just for Sanders, but for any candidate
Most of it is just people bitching about nothing

Because it's twitter.

---

For the extensions I can understand.
The whole not revealing it because he dropped out is sort of understandable too. Especially with the reaction they got for buying a new vaca home closer to home (after selling their Maine vacation home his wife inherited.)

Since he hasn't broken any laws yet, lets just rate this Goldman Sachs speech level of poo poo.
Slightly concerning but nothing unless they are revealed and shows some poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

*INTERIOR: Bernie's luxurious bedroom in his new 5 million dollar vermont vacation home*

Speaking of posting about me again...

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ThndrShk2k posted:

For the extensions I can understand.
The whole not revealing it because he dropped out is sort of understandable too. Especially with the reaction they got for buying a new vaca home closer to home (after selling their Maine vacation home his wife inherited.)

Since he hasn't broken any laws yet, lets just rate this Goldman Sachs speech level of poo poo.
Slightly concerning but nothing unless they are revealed and shows some poo poo.

well i think it's basically following the normal sanders pattern of being very reticent in revealing his personal financial data. he needed to be cajoled to release his tax returns, and then released only one year. and i certainly understand why people don't want to disclose their personal financial information, but it's actually a good thing and he should just do it and not make such a big deal about it. he's a public official.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

well i think it's basically following the normal sanders pattern of being very reticent in revealing his personal financial data. he needed to be cajoled to release his tax returns, and then released only one year. and i certainly understand why people don't want to disclose their personal financial information, but it's actually a good thing and he should just do it and not make such a big deal about it. he's a public official.
And I think Hillary not releasing the transcripts follows the same pattern and reasoning too.

TBH I am glad we reach this point without the back and forth bickering like I did with AWIJ yesterday in the other thread, Thank you :unsmith:

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Aug 18, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Private prisons are over...well soon. I don't know how long the process will take to phase them out.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Look, no one post about any body or anything PLEASE

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

it was definitely unethical, i disagree entirely. he used the extensions in an unprecedented way to dodge personal financial disclosure requirements

I don't think you realize that this is frequently practiced in the senate and it certainly wouldn't be a presidential campaign first. Without the legality and only the ethics, Lyndon Johnson never, ever fully revealed his net worth. Nixon only released this in hindsight. FDR never, ever did until after his death.

until after voters had already cast their ballots. that's wrong.

Out of all the things to be mad about with the personal finance disclosure you picked probably the weirdest one.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

GlitchThief posted:

Look, no one post about any body or anything PLEASE

this

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also, guess which other candidate requested extensions in a previous presidential election? That's right.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Nonsense posted:

Private prisons are over...well soon. I don't know how long the process will take to phase them out.

:bernget:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Karl Barks posted:

Zoux's posting makes me say, "Jesus Christ," too.

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!
Well, I'm convinced. This possibly shady personal thing has turned me off of Bernie's policies forever.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Revolution is over. Go home.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

zen death robot posted:

If you don't like it here move to Mexico!

Is there a dedicated meme-friendly Bernie Sanders thread there?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ur postin in it pal

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

ur postin in it pal

Home at last! :bernget:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
stop posting that loving emoticon

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

stop posting that loving emoticon

Fuckin' make me, m8 :bernget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ima tell PETA that Bernouts hunt chickens for sport. I reckon they deserve each other.

• Locked thread