Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I was waiting for a wind of death that whole second fight, it would have creamed that infantry line.

Honestly, I just don't think you can take any air against brets. Louen and pegasus knights plus their bowmen is something that goes in every decent bret army so they can all fight air. Maybe terrorgeists, since they have anti large?

I opted to go for gaze of nagash instead to try to kill louen. It almost worked, I hit him a few times and would've been able to pop him if not for starting with 4-5 winds of magic. If I took my time and built up winds of magic instead of rushing in and was able to kill him at the start it might've gone a lot differently but I rushed in too quickly. And yeah, in retrospect I shouldn't have tried to use a death from above build against Bretonnia but I thought that just having an overwhelming amount of air (2 flying heroes, 5 vargheist coming in behind bats) would've been enough to overwhelm a Bretonnian air force unless it had a lot of pegasus knights. When I saw just the two flying units I thought I'd be able to kill them, pull back and heal and then rear charge when the zombies arrived but Louen and the Pegasus knights survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fangz posted:

Actually playing as Chaos is fast and fun, it's just difficult for people to understand what you are supposed to do, whereas Beastmen play more intuitively. Beastmen are basically the slow steady clearing of the map, whereas Chaos is intended to penetrate deep and hard and keep always 1 step away from certain failure.

See, Beastmen are better at infiltration too what with their Hidden Camp thing and the ability to loot and raze in a single turn. :saddowns:

The two things Chaos has going for it are better unstoppable god-kings, and the ability to carefully nurture the northern tribes and have them do the work for you.

...Except the Beastmen get the northern tribes trashing the Empire many games anyway and the NPC Storm of Chaos besides. :geno: So really it's just "Kholek and Sigvald can out-punch Khazrak before eating a devolve to the face and getting squashed by fifteen minotaurs".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
TASTE THE BEAST

MINOTAUR

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had an all Minotaur army wreck a pretty well balanced army behind castle walls. Minotaurs are good.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Replays for Obstacle2 v Vox Nihili

Game 1: Greenskins (Vox) vs. Empire (Obstacle)
Game 2: Dwarfs (Vox) vs. Greenskins (Obstacle)

Good games, well-fought.

Results:
I won both.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Results:
I played really badly both games

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
when you teleport to a quest do you teleport back afterwards or does it leave you in the battle location

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

You teleport back

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

when you teleport to a quest do you teleport back afterwards or does it leave you in the battle location

Yes. The tradeoff to teleporting is that when you teleport back, depending on how many casualties you took during the quest battle, you could be hosed when you return to your starting point.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Hey, Asmodai, what's your steam name? I will be unavailable this weekend unfortunately, but I could do early next week

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

See, Beastmen are better at infiltration too what with their Hidden Camp thing and the ability to loot and raze in a single turn. :saddowns:

The two things Chaos has going for it are better unstoppable god-kings, and the ability to carefully nurture the northern tribes and have them do the work for you.

...Except the Beastmen get the northern tribes trashing the Empire many games anyway and the NPC Storm of Chaos besides. :geno: So really it's just "Kholek and Sigvald can out-punch Khazrak before eating a devolve to the face and getting squashed by fifteen minotaurs".

The things Chaos has over Beastmen are the ability to sack cities and move in the same turn, 1 turn recruitment on a bunch of elite units, tribes of chaos on tier 1 of the skill tree, fire or death sorcerer lords and a victory condition that can be achieved in 40 turns.

Devolve is a lot weaker these days and I somewhat expect minotaurs to be nerfed as well at some point.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I like beastmen and agree they add interesting unique mechanics. But boy do I inwardly groan whenever I hear people complain about spending 130 turns fighting norscans and then finding themselves unable to take on an united imperial alliance.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 19, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Everyone can sack and move, it's razing that stops you dead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

toasterwarrior posted:

Everyone can sack and move, it's razing that stops you dead.

My point is that being unable to just sack and move on (as beastmen can't) is a disadvantage a lot of the time. You have more success with Chaos if you get comfortable with the idea of leaving enemies alive behind you.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm loving this game, which is unusual since the last total war game I played for more than a few hous was medieval 2.

I appreciate the amount of work done on the diverging factions and units. But I find the game to be shallow when it comes to beginning a new campaign.

Every faction usually has a single proven and logical playstyle, with little room for replayability.

I'm stoked on them implementing many new factions and starting positions / legendary lords.

But I can't justify paying 18€ every time to get there. It's just too much. I could have lived with like 7-8€ considering there will be a decent amount of updates of this kind. Having to spend over 100€ on this game in the end for just the base + DLC is unacceptable tbh.

I'm not really that familiar with CA pricing policy. Around what time frame can I expect the DLC to be on going on deep sale?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Every elf unit better yell LUMBERFOOTS and MAYFLIES as like 90% of their dialogue or I will be disappointed.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

If you buy everything new you'll easily pay 2 - 3 times that much.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes. The tradeoff to teleporting is that when you teleport back, depending on how many casualties you took during the quest battle, you could be hosed when you return to your starting point.

It's also worth noting that if you teleport to the location and then choose to retreat instead of fight, it refunds the 5000 moneys and puts you back where you were with no movement spent.

e: Actually I'm not 100% sure about the movement. Confirm/deny anyone?

Flakey fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 19, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol if your chaos leader isn't level 30 and annihilation of the enemy is all but guaranteed so you fight as many armies at once

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
a whole army of beards was willing to pay 10 bucks a piece for lovely little metal (or plastic) guys in the shapes of fantasy warriors, hundreds of which you would have to own to play a lovely game with other fat sweaty nerds, but any discussion of tww can't go thirty seconds without someone menstruating over "15$ dlc I can't afford that on my allowance:( :( :("

just don't buy it then or wait for a steam sale in 7 years who cares

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
phone posting

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

Hey, Asmodai, what's your steam name? I will be unavailable this weekend unfortunately, but I could do early next week

http://steamcommunity.com/id/asmodai_00

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

terrorist ambulance posted:

a whole army of beards was willing to pay 10 bucks a piece for lovely little metal (or plastic) guys in the shapes of fantasy warriors, hundreds of which you would have to own to play a lovely game with other fat sweaty nerds, but any discussion of tww can't go thirty seconds without someone menstruating over "15$ dlc I can't afford that on my allowance:( :( :("

I understand it is expensive for videogames, but you know, it is still very cheap compared to pretty much any other activity I have to spend money for.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A lot of games have DLC and expansions that add a lot of new interesting things to the game in a way that makes you feel like you're missing out on something if you don't buy the DLC when you first buy and play through the base game. This game is totally not like that so far since all of the DLC other than the 'blood' pack exists in the game whether or not you buy it. The only difference is whether or not you can actually play multiplayer or the grand campaign as the extra race (chaos or beastmen). So for instance if you buy just the base game today and start a dwarf campaign you'll be playing the same game that I would be if I started a dwarf campaign even though I have all the DLC.

So for a newcomer I actually would recommend NOT buying the extra factions right away unless you are a super fan of them from the tabletop or something. The base game has plenty of fun factions to play that are (so far) getting things added to them for free, and even if you never buy DLC your game still benefits from the release of the DLC in the form of new NPC content being introduced into the grand campaign (and new opponents to play against in multiplayer). Instead, just play the base game and if you're like me and put a lot of time into the factions you'll know for sure whether the $18 or whatever cost is worth it. For me, the mini-campaign + playing the beastmen grand campaign was totally worth it and got me more hours of fun game time than a lot of $20 games I've purchased off of Steam. Then again, this game has totally hit my sweet spot and even with no further changes I know it's a game I will eventually come back to over and over again throughout the years.

The obvious other strategy is to just wait until the game and DLC go on sale, which historically has happened a lot with other Total War games (many of which have even been featured in Humble Bundles). The only difference is that I get the feeling from watching the Steam charts that this Total War has been extremely successful and CA might not be in any hurry to sell it at a discount so you might have to wait a long time.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Speaking of DLC, here's a random CA update from Reddit:

quote:

Welcome back, it's time to relax, it's nearly the weekend...

Latest is that Beastmen proved to be a best-seller, so there's a lot of stuff about those guys sloshing around, I've been watching Warrior of Sparta's playthrough of the mini campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNNiRxL9Wo

Next DLC is coming soon and we haven't officially announced what it is yet, but it will be a Lords Pack featuring a couple of new legendary lords, general lords and new units. Will also include a handful of new ' Regiments of Renown' these are tweaked and unique versions of existing units that come from the Warhammer lore. You'll only be able to recruit one at a time but they will typically come with boosted stats and abilities, or maybe an unusual mix for their troop type that makes them tactically useful in an interesting way. Visually, they have minor changes to make them stand out from the base unit type and your General will need to be of a certain level before you can recruit them. What's perhaps more interesting is that modders will be able to mess with the recruitment system to add their own.

More Detail here, with some pics: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Regiments_of_Renown

The contents of the next free-LC is yet to be spoken of (we are not fit to mention his name). There will be a patch update to the game as well of course, and amongst other things it will address the reinforcement issue people have been having.

Other things you might have missed:

We wrote a blog on the design behind the Gorebull: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Gorebull_Blog

The Beastmen art is available in a handy wallpaper size: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Beastmen_Wallpaper

PCInvasion took a look at the weirdest units we could still add (madness... or is it...): http://www.pcinvasion.com/total-war-warhammer-silliest-tabletop-units-add

Our friends at Feral are releasing Mac and Linux versions of TW:Warhammer in the next few months, which you will also get for free automatically if you own the PC game.

In other news, and from the same guys at Feral, Rome Total War is coming to iPad this autumn: https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/games/rome-ios/

We partnered with the Ashmolean Museum to help out with their latest exhibition which is based on the archaeology found in the sea around Sciliy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZiaKKDK3A

There were some cracking multiplayer battles in combination too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY9K0jVojwk

And THFE did a very neat video on the Roman Navy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PhRpvPZuIc

Oh, and we had our 29th birthday yesterday! https://twitter.com/CAGames/status/766363995645313024

Best place for a full news recap is probably our facebook page, you don't even need to be on facebook to look at it: https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar

permalinkembed

It seems weird to me that they decided to start talking about the DLC a week ago and still haven't gotten around to announcing it, must have been some sort of last minute delay going on. Whatever I guess.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

Speaking of DLC, here's a random CA update from Reddit:

It seems weird to me that they decided to start talking about the DLC a week ago and still haven't gotten around to announcing it, must have been some sort of last minute delay going on. Whatever I guess.

Probably due to the Rome: Total War announcement for iPad, don't want too many things with the TW brand being advertised at the same time. Or maybe a delay on the implementation of the LL DLC.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Some hints dropped about the new dlc there but I don't know enough about the game universe to get them... What's the not fit to speak his name thing about

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some hints dropped about the new dlc there but I don't know enough about the game universe to get them... What's the not fit to speak his name thing about

I don't really know the lore or anything but based on their FLC release schedule it's probably a new VC LL.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Maybe Vlad von Carstein?

Edit: Actually it might be really interesting if picking Vlad as the LL removed the diplo penalty with humans so that the VC could play the diplo game like the Empire does. Maybe even give them the option of annexing human provinces if you drive their corruption up high enough.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The two revealed units from the DLC are both from "Sigmar's Blood" which was apparently (I don't know these things firsthand) an Empire vs VC scenario, specifically Volkmar the Grim vs Mannfred, so that's probably the theme of the pack. I have no idea who the Vampire Lord or Lords will be though, apparently 8th edition didn't have actual rules and models for a lot of Vampire Generals so it's pretty up in the air.

The twitter account also just posted this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqOdzY4WYAErlFz.jpg:large

Which is an...odd choice of new map given the apparent theme but who knows at this point. It's almost definitely someone's quest battle since that's where we got most of the new Beastmen maps.

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe they would drop in Vlad+Isabella and that's why one of them is a freebie. Vlad's long dead but he at least has a model and poo poo, and I seem to remember people saying they found voice files for Isabella when the game first dropped.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 19, 2016

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm really hoping we get the red duke. I want to play VCs in Mousillon more than I care about any lore poo poo in particular.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tehan posted:

Edit: Actually it might be really interesting if picking Vlad as the LL removed the diplo penalty with humans so that the VC could play the diplo game like the Empire does. Maybe even give them the option of annexing human provinces if you drive their corruption up high enough.

That sounds awesome, but maybe tweak it so the aversion penalty is applied when you declare war on an Imperial faction.

Some hints dropped about the nWhat's the not fit to speak his name thing about

Might still be referring to Volkmar the Grim, aka The BattlePope. He's like the inverse opposite of Pope Francis, and definitely pulls the "Holier Than Thou" card all the time.

Warpstone is usually associated with Skaven but it's really just bundles of raw magic and gets used by Vampires and Wizards often enough (and in moderation) to create magical weapons and artifacts. It's just that Skaven will happily snort and smoke that poo poo until they explode into meaty chunks.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i really feel like flamethrowers should be armor piercing. its way the heck up on the tech tree, and also i believe that napalm could probably drip in through the joints in my chaos armor and sizzle all the cool mutations i keep inside

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

i really feel like flamethrowers should be armor piercing. its way the heck up on the tech tree, and also i believe that napalm could probably drip in through the joints in my chaos armor and sizzle all the cool mutations i keep inside

If the Witcher 3 game taught me anything, it is that fire is EXTREMELY effective against armor. :colbert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just had two Mortars win two back-to-back Vampire battles thanks to the "shoot ground behind enemy melee units" trick. They were decent before, but now they're absolutely brutal against anything lightly armored.

I'm seriously considering not taking Great Cannons now since Empire doesn't need to checkerboard as much as Dwarves do.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

toasterwarrior posted:

I just had two Mortars win two back-to-back Vampire battles thanks to the "shoot ground behind enemy melee units" trick.

Can you elaborate? Is this for when they are in melee or does it just help with accuracy in general? Seems micro intensive if you have to keep doing it as they approach but that's what the pause button's for.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Speaking of vampire matchups, does anyone else feel like their heroes are a little weak right now? I feel that they've been hit pretty hard by balancing, when tough characters are supposed to be part of their schtick.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really hope the Vampire legendary lord isn't Vlad.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
With the vampire structures in the background it looks like a vampire map, probably using undead labour to mine the warpstone. That has the added advantage of not causing the labourers to spontaneously sprout extra limbs. Volkmar the Grim seems very likely, given the hints.

Vox Nihili posted:

Replays for Obstacle2 v Vox Nihili

Game 1: Greenskins (Vox) vs. Empire (Obstacle)
Game 2: Dwarfs (Vox) vs. Greenskins (Obstacle)

Good games, well-fought.

Results:
I won both.

Sadly, I found the first match barely watchable due to the poor lighting conditions of that map. In the second Dwarf vs Orcs match, Vox's deployment of his Dwarfs at an oblique angle was a good way to get some extra shooting time out of his artillery, causing a lot of damage to the Black Orcs. Obstacle's early scouting of the forest for hidden units was prudent, as was his targeting of the Hammers. Not sure what he brought 2000 gold worth of Orc archers for since it's hard to trade evenly with the shielded Dwarf Quarrelers; if anything I would have used them to target the Hammerers some more. He needed more troops to throw into the melee grinder since that's where he lost the match.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 19, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

fnordcircle posted:

Can you elaborate? Is this for when they are in melee or does it just help with accuracy in general? Seems micro intensive if you have to keep doing it as they approach but that's what the pause button's for.

Holding alt+right-click will let you target the ground with artillery units. Using Mortars, you can target the ground right behind the enemy's melee line while they're busy scrapping with yours; by doing this, you minimize the chance of your artillery dropping shells on your own units while having a decent chance of shots drifting into the enemy. Naturally, this is brutal as all hell and will lead to quick routs against lightly-armored infantry, which happens to be most of your enemies for most of the game as Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

using menstruating like that is kinda lame

also it is pretty expensive dlc but im way more fine with it than i am in past total war games. the factions in warhammer are completely different and have unique units, spells, campaign mechanics, etc. unlike rome where the 10 dollar dlc got you a couple of head swaps with barely different stats and a different starting position on the map

• Locked thread