Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Loxbourne posted:

Hawk have mentioned scenarios where one side just shrugs and decides to blow up the clusters/targets instead of landing troops. Taking a Tokyo might be the equivalent of a all-demo force in Dropzone.

If anything I'd be worried about it ending up overpowered. "Screw the objectives, I'm gonna blow everything up and win on kill points".

Unless they changed the rules for bombardment it seemed really weak in the test games I've played, so having a heavy ship that could bomb the heck out of an area might actually feel like you are doing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

LordAba posted:

Unless they changed the rules for bombardment it seemed really weak in the test games I've played, so having a heavy ship that could bomb the heck out of an area might actually feel like you are doing something.

Were you using dedicated bombardment ships? Think I heard somewhere ages ago that using non-dedicated weapons would be kinda meh.

+1 to the Shaltari gravity shenanigans! They could be pretty hilarious. I'm not sure what to make of the close action frigates. If the rest of the fleet is so built around keeping at range it sounds like you would be feeding a handful of frigates into the enemy guns to get primaried.

Something else in the vid that struck me was Dave saying how cruisers are fielded in pairs? That sounds like I cant just build one of everything with my pledge and need to plan ahead more. :/

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
What i remember from old videos and stuff is that it's supposedly very easy to turn a city into a smoldering crater but no one actually wants to do that so it comes with point penalties and you better be sure it's enough of an actual advantage to make up for it. The bombardment cannon are more precision strikes trying to kill enemy troops without leveling too many city blocks. So actual objective destruction should be pretty rare if they haven't changed that.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Ugleb posted:

Something else in the vid that struck me was Dave saying how cruisers are fielded in pairs? That sounds like I cant just build one of everything with my pledge and need to plan ahead more. :/

I think that was light cruisers specifically.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on Dropfleet, can't wait to get stuck in and properly plan my fleets...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm a little worried that Dave mentioned he hadn't finished writing some stuff for the rulebook, which means that it hasn't even started printing that yet. If Dropfleet hasn't loving arrived by the Nova Open, that Dropfleet tournament they scheduled is gonna be interesting. Maybe they'll use the resin stuff from the demo games?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

wdarkk posted:

I'm a little worried that Dave mentioned he hadn't finished writing some stuff for the rulebook, which means that it hasn't even started printing that yet. If Dropfleet hasn't loving arrived by the Nova Open, that Dropfleet tournament they scheduled is gonna be interesting. Maybe they'll use the resin stuff from the demo games?

Judging by the other stuff mentioned (especially the comment that they hadn't finished the space station sprue yet, I'm pretty sure that was filmed in late June-ish (the tool for the station was shown on 4th July). So I wouldn't worry too much!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lobster God posted:

Judging by the other stuff mentioned (especially the comment that they hadn't finished the space station sprue yet, I'm pretty sure that was filmed in late June-ish (the tool for the station was shown on 4th July). So I wouldn't worry too much!

Whew.

Still working on filling out my list:
code:
Reconquest 2
Clash: 1400/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1400/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [450 pts]
			Oppressor: Oppressor(Master), Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [300 pts]
			Annihilator: Annihilator [150 pts]
		Vanguard [304 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
			Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
		Warriors [94 pts]
			Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [94 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [276 pts]
			Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]
			Corruptors: Corruptor [80 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [276 pts]
			Monitors: 4x Monitor, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
FFoR still has the Oppressor costing 145 instead of 140 so there's actually 105 points to work with.

I'm still trying to figure out what sixth battlegroup I can add. I can add another Warrior Horde in an Intruder Alpha (which has the advantage of me already owning it) but that's six infantry squads (counting the Corruptors).

Alternately I could add a single Corsair (and some support somewhere else), but 4+ Acc is brutal on a thing that already won't necessarily be available each turn.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

After looking into things, I'll probably switch over to an Overseer based list later, but I don't have time to do it by Nova Open.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Lobster God posted:

That was my conclusion too. It was probably filmed at the same time as the phase 2 book preview video they put out a little while back. Still a bit tight on time scale IMO but probably nothing to worry about.

It clearly wasn't done in the last week as those battleships were at gencon and Dave was talking about phase 2 shipping late July.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone tested Falcon-Bs? they seem an amazing way to spend 100pts.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone tested Falcon-Bs? they seem an amazing way to spend 100pts.

You wanna test 'em - lemmie know the time and points for the game...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Soon as I built them I will.

My store just got the preorder into for Dropfleet. Will post a link to them later. :)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Dark Sphere in London has put up pre-orders for the battleships with a release date at the end of October.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh I'm trying to convince myself to not spend 80 bucks on revamping my Scourge list into an Overseer-based list immediately.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Embrace the jellyfish my friend.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Haha maybe I will, I was pretty good the last couple steam sales.

Checking the Hawk forums, the new Scourge meta will apparently be an Overseer backed by a poo poo-ton of warriors. The list I'm modifying uses TEN bases of warriors. Combined fire turns into the potential for a single E11 attack to a potential THREE E10 attacks. Per base.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Checking the Hawk forums, the new Scourge meta will apparently be an Overseer backed by a poo poo-ton of warriors. The list I'm modifying uses TEN bases of warriors. Combined fire turns into the potential for a single E11 attack to a potential THREE E10 attacks. Per base.

I think I feel an FAQ coming on... :aaa:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

wdarkk posted:

holy gently caress

if you keep this I want my Phoenix missiles back.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

"Three E10 attacks" is the FAQ. Otherwise it'd be three E11 attacks.

EDIT: The range upgrade also should apply to their AA shots, so Warriors are now something of a jack of all trades as long as the Overseer is alive. Bring lots of fast movers!

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 15, 2016

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Can someone with access to a core book post the exact wording of the combined fire rule, please? Mine is about 4 hours drive away!

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
"Special Rule - Combined Fire: 3 hits on a single enemy unit may be combined into a single Energy 11 hit."

That's from the 1.1 rule book - where are you getting 3 E10 hits from, I can't see that in the FAQ ?

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Thank you.

So the argument is that the E of the weapon is reduced, but as the rule gives a hit of specified energy then that is not reduced. There seems to be nothing limiting this to once per turn - so you are likely getting 2 E11 hits out of a squad of warriors, or reliably getting a single E11 on skimmers. Ouch.

The proposed "fix" is that the combined fire hit also has its E reduced by one in the event that the rapid fire from the overseer is used?

Going by this (overseer affects weapon profiles not special rules) does this not mean the small arms range is fixed at 6? I'd have to check the wording on the overseer to be sure.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

FSG now has Dropfleet Preorders up. :)

http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wargames-miniatures/dropfleet-commander

Gonna nab mine, I didn't back the KS.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

FSG now has Dropfleet Preorders up. :)

http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wargames-miniatures/dropfleet-commander

Gonna nab mine, I didn't back the KS.

Heathen!

I kinda expected to see Battleships on there, wonder if they are coming a bit later?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They're uploaded but they won't show publicly yet. We don't show most preorders more than a certain time in advance because of how hit or miss some companies are. They're there and should show in a week or so. :)

Also i didn't back it because staff discount owns too hard.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah, fair play. ;)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Unfortunately my FLGS was unable to get 3/4 of what I wanted from their distributor, so I had to put my order into Miniature Market. Probably saved me 20-30 bucks though.

Even with slowish shipping it should be enough time before Nova Open to paint everything decently.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

Yeah, fair play. ;)
35% off buddy and I can cherry pick the first pre-order I want. :v:

I've got a random rear end Strike Carrier lying around, I might paint that bad boy up ready to get me in the mood.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So I was in the tournament at Gen Con and at least one person said they wanted to hear how it went so here is my report. I used almost exactly the below list. Differences are I took the oppressor instead of a desolator, and I dropped the vampires so I could put three warriors in an invader rather than having just two of them walk on.

Grey Hunter posted:

Corrupter's are a good unit, but I doubt you need to add EXTRA infantry - in fact, I was thinking about dropping a infantry squad and using the compulsory warriors as ferrys for objectives found by the Razorworms.

This is what I'm thinking of giving a go - Maybe swapping the Desalator for the Oppressor.

pre:
Max Corruption
Clash: 1496/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1496/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [305 pts]
			Desolator: Desolator(Master) [225 pts]
		Vanguard [314 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder(+Vampire) [156 pts]
			Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
		Vanguard [351 pts]
			Ravagers: 3x Ravager, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [190 pts]
			Stalkers: 3x Stalker, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster, +Vampire) [161 pts]
		Warriors [134 pts]
			Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors [54 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Monitors: 4x Monitor, Intruder Beta [56 pts]

First game I lost handily, though since the guy I played won last year's Gen Con tournament and went on to win this year's tournament I couldn't feel too bad about it. Scenario was the standard find objectives and I suffered from just learning how to best use this list. He was playing resistance. I learned that the corruptors, if they survive, tie up infantry in buildings well, but unfortunately you can't just use the razor worms as fodder because you are not allowed to shoot a building when they are in them, so if you just want to tie up infantry long enough for you to blow up the building they are in you unfortunately can't use the corruptors to fly up close, inject worms, and them pummel away. In all 3 of my games the corruptors got, at best, 2 worms into any building before getting blown out of the sky. Opponent got 2 objectives, I got 1, and he killed about 1000 points of my units while I killed 300 of his.

Second game was scourge on scourge in an occupy quadrants format. I won this one pretty easily. I used the corruptors to just plunk razor worms into one quad to occupy it and then harrass infantry in his deployment quad while our main forces fought over a single other quad. I won initiative in the key 3rd turn that let me decimate most of his ground forces and I had most of the field till his desolator did a fair number on things (and I killed it a turn later). Game ended with me controlling 3 quadrants and contesting the fourth, him killing something like 500 points of scourge and me 1200.

Third game was focal points with me vs UCM and I lost big here as well. His list was far better for this scenario than mine was and he got some lucky rolls in with air support the first turn and took out a corruptor and both of my marauders and the units they were carrying before I could do a single thing with them. I ended up controlling two objectives at the end and no focal points and he had both focal points and 1 objective. He killed something like 1000 points of scourge and I only took out about 100 points of UCM so that one just didn't go so well.

Overall it was fun, but I have got to find more people to play with in the Philadelphia area. My lack of experience really showed at certain parts of the tournament and its just because I can't get enough local games in.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I thought I'd missed out, leaving it so late, but there are sill tickets available for the Drop Fleet event in Cardiff this Saturday- not thorough Firestorm (the venue), but here:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dropfleet-commander-pre-launch-event-cardiff-tickets-26038377488

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Renfield posted:

I thought I'd missed out, leaving it so late, but there are sill tickets available for the Drop Fleet event in Cardiff this Saturday- not thorough Firestorm (the venue), but here:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dropfleet-commander-pre-launch-event-cardiff-tickets-26038377488

It should be noted that Hawk announced that people will not be able to buy the 2 player starter sets at the even, but will instead be able to preorder it and everyone that goes will get a free frigate spru of UCM or Scourge and a cruiser spru if you preorder stuff. They said this was necessary because backers will not have gotten their stuff yet.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yup, we had that information confirmed last night. Bit of a bummer, but we will have a till open near the bar for people to pre-order stuff with us on the day. :)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Had my first game (using proxies) with the Overseer tonight. I feel like missions that are primarily objective marker based really hurt it since some of your warriors will be busy and/or spread out. It definitely felt powerful but not absurdly so.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Had another game of Dropfleet tonight and used some Strike Craft. They were pretty cool! I also managed to double crit burnthrough lasers with a Berlin class and just utterly ripped through a Wyvern. It was horrific. Posted some pics on the Dropzone Facebook pages.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

nesbit37 posted:

So I was in the tournament at Gen Con and at least one person said they wanted to hear how it went so here is my report. I used almost exactly the below list. Differences are I took the oppressor instead of a desolator, and I dropped the vampires so I could put three warriors in an invader rather than having just two of them walk on.

Not gonna lie: this thread has terrible results in Tournaments, and I don't think I would take list advice from here with our track record.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

thread tactical level: hitler

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Speleothing posted:

Not gonna lie: this thread has terrible results in Tournaments, and I don't think I would take list advice from here with our track record.

Hey, I finish top half in most of my tournaments now. Apart from that first one where I was still putting stuff together a day before hand and I barely escaped coming last (I knew that was a bad list going in but hey, I didn't even own any light dropships).

I need to work on not having one truly terrible result per tournament that junks my standing. Or in the case of my last one, getting my opponents to play faster. In a 4 game event the only one I finished was against Incy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Set paints to drybrush!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Looks like Hawk is still hoping to ship Dropfleet this month, but still has not gotten the printed items they are waiting for. I hope they make it because I can't wait... At least the expected shipping time is way quicker than I would have thought, only 2-3 days to the US seems quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Not that surprised, but a bit disappointed tbh. Looks like we are getting our stuff at the very end of August or early September then.

quote:

Some key updates including timings:
Firstly, we want to give you an update on where we are at and what the last few steps are. We have every plastic sprue, and every resin model being packed currently into sets and rewards in our warehouse. Along with this, we have all the dice, tapemeasures, pins, dog-tags and UCM credits too, (as well as many other elements). We are just now waiting on a print delivery to arrive in order for us to begin shipping out rewards. This print delivery (all printed in the UK as planned) has been the main reason behind the extended delay to getting all rewards out, but we are committed, above everything, to getting rewards dispatched before any product is sold in a retail environment. We have a lot of your rewards being packed and have been collating all the various elements that feature in each backer reward. Here's a little taster of some of the packing that the team has been doing:

(boxes full of plastic crack)

Looking at timing, we are making every effort to have started dispatching rewards in August. Not only this, but we are committed to getting items delivered to you as quickly as possible, as soon as they are dispatched, and all items are being sent via courier (or will be sent via signed tracked shipping methods). 

To me, this says the delay is probably the rulebook taking longer to edit and print than expected.