Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Emanuel Collective posted:

They're Canadian, iirc Canada's version of social security only cares about how long you've lived in the country, not your time working.
You're half-right. Canada's public pension is made up of two separate plans: Canada Pension Plan ("CPP") and Old Age Security ("OAS"). The amount of CPP that you're entitled to is directly related to your working years. OAS, on the other hand, is not.

Either way- when combined OAS and CPP alone are basically poverty-level income. It's meant to supplement your retirement savings- not replace them.

But, hey. "I've got real estate, and that should be more than enough to retire! :haw:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Even when they get to SS age, their social security payout will be a pittance with only 8 meaningful years in the workforce.

I don't think you get anything with 8 years. You need 10 years of credits to qualify. But they changed some of those rules so as long as they pay social security taxes on all this blogging money they'll be making, they should qualify for something when they hit 65. If they're still living off whatever 40k is after 30 years of inflation, that'd be a big bump in income.

Edit: Canada, eh.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

I see what he's getting at here, but having 10% more to put towards paying down your debts or just to make your budget more comfortable/livable would be a huge difference for a lot of people.

I don't see what he's getting at at all. If you can't live on 100% of your income then it is vile to demand that you give money you can't afford to an organization that is already very rich and powerful.

To deny the possibility that tithing could be the difference between stability and debt is to deny reality and mathematics. It's complete bullshit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Magic Underwear posted:

I don't see what he's getting at at all. If you can't live on 100% of your income then it is vile to demand that you give money you can't afford to an organization that is already very rich and powerful.

To deny the possibility that tithing could be the difference between stability and debt is to deny reality and mathematics. It's complete bullshit.
:goonsay:

Would you say the same about someone in financial distress who spends more on groceries in order to keep kosher or halal? What about paying for transport to worship services?

It's not about the money to them. Do you genuinely not understand it?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What about not working on certain days? I know mine forbids working after 4pm on Fridays.

Magic Underwear posted:

But he is trying to convince people who don't already hold that belief.

Is he?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

canyoneer posted:

:goonsay:

Would you say the same about someone in financial distress who spends more on groceries in order to keep kosher or halal? What about paying for transport to worship services?

It's not about the money to them. Do you genuinely not understand it?

If that's what they believe, sure. But he is trying to convince people who don't already hold that belief. And offering very flawed arguments for doing so.

If he was honest about it, said "tithing is more important than financial stability, work around it" then I wouldn't complain. But trying to say that there is no difference in budgeting between 100% and 90% irks me.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Tithing: BWM?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't really know how I feel about Ramsey's argument but I think it raises an interesting point - being GWM is not an end in an of itself, it's an enabler that allows you to be good with life. Losing sight of that end goal is easy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

canyoneer posted:

To a stranger? No. To a close friend who I knew was suffering for the sake of arbitrary dietary guidelines? Yes, absolutely. I'd put it delicately and try to maximize my chance of actually changing their mind, just as I'd expect they'd do for me if I were hurting myself for a not-very-good reason.
Hell, part of Talmudic law is that, if a human life is at stake, you're required to break the commandment to save the life. Human life is that precious. I'm not going to go so far as to imply that an increased time until debts are paid off is always a life or death issue, but there really are people who die from stress-related injuries and finances are a huge cause of stress.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 18, 2016

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Krispy Kareem posted:

My wife got new boobs and an upper body lift for 13k. And this was a really good plastic surgeon who specialized in reconstructive surgery .

It does seem inexpensive compared to even minor care from a hospital, but that's because you aren't getting it from a hospital. And since it's all elective it's not like your bill is compensating for someone who got rear end implants, but didn't have the money to pay for it.

Also because those are pretty minor procedures, all things considered (the breasts more so).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Teeter posted:

Tithing: BWM?

Depends, I'm sure for some particularly religious people it's more powerful than xanax in terms of putting your mind at ease about life.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Magic Underwear posted:

If you aren't disciplined enough to account for losing 10% of your income, then you will not have long-term financial success. Being the type of person that is willing to work and plan to give a significant part of your income to charity or whatever is one of the best ways to set yourself up with the proper perspective to make wise and difficult decisions regarding your own finances.

If you want to be all selfish about it, someone who is a faithful member of a religious community may well receive excess value from additional benefits, either in the form of direct support (having a hard time? Dinner for a week!), or indirectly (car broke down? Borrow my extra car while I pop the hood. Just bake me some cookies!). Not all communities are created equal, and such benefits only really make sense if you actually have some belief, but it does tend to keep you humble. Volunteering time is another way keep yourself grounded.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I Like Jell-O posted:

If you want to be all selfish about it, someone who is a faithful member of a religious community may well receive excess value from additional benefits, either in the form of direct support (having a hard time? Dinner for a week!), or indirectly (car broke down? Borrow my extra car while I pop the hood. Just bake me some cookies!). Not all communities are created equal, and such benefits only really make sense if you actually have some belief, but it does tend to keep you humble. Volunteering time is another way keep yourself grounded.

My girlfriend told a coworker about a bank issue she was having (cable company she never used had been incorrectly charging her) and that coworker set her up with a Mormon bishop who is also a lawyer. Apparently Mormons get free legal counsel from bishops which is awesome.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

melon cat posted:

People are weirdly-attached to their heavily-financed vehicles. They're often willing to borrow more for a new pick-up truck than they are for their post-secondary education. And when poo poo hits the fan, they're willing to sell their furniture before they sell their vehicle. And if you dare suggest that they buy something that's used and less expensive, they'll laugh at the idea and scoff at you as if you're being the dummy.

People are strange.

Part of that is that most people with highly financed vehicles are deeply underwater on them, and selling them would be essentially impossible as the bank isn't going to turn over the title for less than the full amount of the loan, and almost nobody will buy out a car at the loan value used. Not to mention that it lands them with debt to service and no transportation, and in the vast majority of the country not having a car is not an option due to the way our cities are put together.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Liquid Communism posted:

Part of that is that most people with highly financed vehicles are deeply underwater on them, and selling them would be essentially impossible as the bank isn't going to turn over the title for less than the full amount of the loan, and almost nobody will buy out a car at the loan value used. Not to mention that it lands them with debt to service and no transportation, and in the vast majority of the country not having a car is not an option due to the way our cities are put together.

You can usually roll debt in to a new loan within reason, but you typically have to be buying a fairly new car with a decent amount of money financed.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tomfoolery posted:

My girlfriend told a coworker about a bank issue she was having (cable company she never used had been incorrectly charging her) and that coworker set her up with a Mormon bishop who is also a lawyer. Apparently Mormons get free legal counsel from bishops which is awesome.
Being mormon is kind of like having a big extended family automatically wherever you go.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mormons have to tithe though. With direct deposit, even!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Judaism is the frills-free version

Unless you count the guilt

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

In theory, most of the tithing denominations should also use that money to run charitable programs that should be providing help for congregation members in dire straights. Should being the operative word.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Liquid Communism posted:

In theory, most of the tithing denominations should also use that money to run charitable programs that should be providing help for congregation members in dire straights. Should being the operative word.
They do strictly less good than spending the money on bed nets for African children would and thus are BWM. Suboptimal charity kills.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Depends, I'm sure for some particularly religious people it's more powerful than xanax in terms of putting your mind at ease about life.

In most cases people paying the 10% will receive the equivalent value back. Most churches will help their members in various ways if they have problems and provide support that wouldn't otherwise be available. I only have issues with churches that have competitive donations and read out lists of donations to create competition. Clearly you can buy favour with God in those churches because what does a God need most :10bux:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
New hot content!

My friend's sister is getting married. She would be the sole breadwinner in the marriage since her fiance is a starving artist (she's a dentist). She agreed not to sign a prenup since her fiance and his family believed it would "damage" their relationship.

And the best part? *drumroll*

He and his family are scientologists! He also apparently refused to agree that they wouldn't raise their kids as scientologists.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Well, if it's true that Scientology is really just a tax scam, it could be GWM.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TLG James posted:

Well, if it's true that Scientology is really just a tax scam, it could be GWM.

It's a tax scam for the church itself; the people who follow it just get fleeced by required increasingly large donations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Gorman Thomas posted:

New hot content!

My friend's sister is getting married. She would be the sole breadwinner in the marriage since her fiance is a starving artist (she's a dentist). She agreed not to sign a prenup since her fiance and his family believed it would "damage" their relationship.

He and his family are scientologists! He also apparently refused to agree that they wouldn't raise their kids as scientologists.

oh god

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Gorman Thomas posted:

New hot content!

Wow that girl needs to get some self respect.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The NZ housing bubble is gaining increasing momentum and it's building up to be out of control. It's so bad the follow article is criticising real estate music videos. Apparently no one over 40 listens to upbeat EDM.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/83184423/these-real-estate-music-videos-are-whats-wrong-with-the-auckland-housing-market

Never mind the $3b in mortgages that are in arrears. Apparently when interest rates are low the number of problem mortgages is less. Some surprise revelations with that. Of course when the rates go up (and the Reserve Bank tends to increase them quickly) we are going to have a major problem.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/83262206/mortgage-arrears-down-but-still-billions-in-problem-loans

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Devian666 posted:

real estate music videos

Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-yGL7kQqxY

Are these common? They're showing off a house that's nice, sure, but it doesn't seem at all worthy of this treatment.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

the littlest prince posted:

Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-yGL7kQqxY

Are these common? They're showing off a house that's nice, sure, but it doesn't seem at all worthy of this treatment.

I got a minute in. Ricky Cave is a oval office.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Here's a new story from my girlfriend's old roommate, Jessica.

Jessica is a part time teacher in the Canadian prairies ( her exact position is unclear to me). She makes approximately $40,000 per year, gross. She has significant student loan debt since she got a four year undergrad degree, and then a two year teaching degree. She views life through these time based goalposts, i.e. "I am 30 years old so I should have a house by now." So she decides to buy a house. She plans to buy a house $220,000.

I trying talk to her and tell her that her plan is a bad idea and that she shouldn't buy a house that is more than 5 times her current income. The mortgage is a 30 year mortgage and even if we keep the insanely low interest rate that we have, it will still end up costing her thousands of extra dollars in interest. I also tell her that she won't be able to afford the mortgage, utilities and upkeep with her current salary. I also tell her that she'll have no financial cushion in case anything goes wrong. She dismisses my concerns by saying that she's getting a roommate. She also tells me that I'm throwing money away by renting (I rent a two bedroom apartment).

Jessica decides to buy the house anyway. Her down payment is $5,000 the bare minimum allowed for the down payment This down payment only really covered the costs of the CHMC insurance that a person is legally required to get with a down payment that low. She essentially bought the entire loving thing on credit.

Of course, her roommate that she had set up backs out at the last minute. Panicking, Jessica agrees to room with this guy who moved from Ireland. He's a complete stranger, but they talked on skype for a bit beforehand. She knows he's employed at the steel mill in town, but that's about it.

Now she wants kids, since you know, the time based goalposts. She wants three kids. She wants to have these kids with her current boyfriend who will have sex with her, but vehemently refuses to actually spend the night with her. She's planning on having the kid next year or two. I feel like my girlfriend or I should warn him.

People get so emotional over not having certain things by a certain time in their life and it just baffles me. Also gently caress this cult of home ownership that we have up here.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

I got a minute in. Ricky Cave is a oval office.

That goes for a lot of Auckland real estate agents. It doesn't cost that much to get someone to produce a video like that and the commissions they'll be making they won't be short of cash either. Not all of them are terrible but there's been some pretty lovely behaviour with some real estate agents buying properties themselves to flip for large profits. Greed is fueling the property bubble, and the properties in those videos are in very expensive areas. A reasonable house there might set you back $2m+. Mansions cost a lot more.

Monaghan posted:

Jessica decides to buy the house anyway. Her down payment is $5,000 the bare minimum allowed for the down payment This down payment only really covered the costs of the CHMC insurance that a person is legally required to get with a down payment that low. She essentially bought the entire loving thing on credit.

Now she wants kids, since you know, the time based goalposts. She wants three kids. She wants to have these kids with her current boyfriend who will have sex with her, but vehemently refuses to actually spend the night with her. She's planning on having the kid next year or two. I feel like my girlfriend or I should warn him.

The house is just the first in series of giant gently caress ups in her life.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 19, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Monaghan posted:

People get so emotional over not having certain things by a certain time in their life and it just baffles me. Also gently caress this cult of home ownership that we have up here.

I agree with everything you said.

I have two questions.

Is there anything upon this Earth you wish to accomplish, before you shuffle off this mortal coil?

and

What's your age?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I Read Some Article about how a lot of investment banks noticed that NZ fared the recession unusually well and decided that it must be some kind of safe-haven and are now loading enough stuff into NZ that the eventual popping of the housing bubble there could very well be amplified and affect the global economy way more than you'd expect it to, whee

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

I agree with everything you said.

I have two questions.

Is there anything upon this Earth you wish to accomplish, before you shuffle off this mortal coil?

and

What's your age?

I think I know where you're going with this but what the hell.

Travel.

Have a nice relaxing retirement.

Marry a good woman.

I'm 28.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I think I know where you're going with this but what the hell.

Travel.

Have a nice relaxing retirement.

Marry a good woman.

I'm 28.

No ulterior motive, just generally curious.

Safe travels. :)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I Read Some Article about how a lot of investment banks noticed that NZ fared the recession unusually well and decided that it must be some kind of safe-haven and are now loading enough stuff into NZ that the eventual popping of the housing bubble there could very well be amplified and affect the global economy way more than you'd expect it to, whee

There are huge flows of foreign currency into NZ. We've figured out where the money is coming from and why it has massively pushed up the value of our currency. While we wouldn't bring down the world economy we could start a panic in China if one of the asset bubbles bursts.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm coming to visit NZ in November, please try not to have mini Mad Max'd your gorgeous country by then; I'm not allowed to bring my guns with me on the plane.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Having a time-based goal is not in and of itself bad, but I'm pretty sure the point is that you work towards being able to achieve those goals by the set date in a sane manner, not wake up, note you're 30, and therefore it's time to buy a house.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Devian666 posted:

The NZ housing bubble is gaining increasing momentum and it's building up to be out of control. It's so bad the follow article is criticising real estate music videos. Apparently no one over 40 listens to upbeat EDM.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/83184423/these-real-estate-music-videos-are-whats-wrong-with-the-auckland-housing-market

Never mind the $3b in mortgages that are in arrears. Apparently when interest rates are low the number of problem mortgages is less. Some surprise revelations with that. Of course when the rates go up (and the Reserve Bank tends to increase them quickly) we are going to have a major problem.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/83262206/mortgage-arrears-down-but-still-billions-in-problem-loans

Vancouver just put the squeeze on their housing bubble by adding a 15% real estate tax on Chinese foreign buyers, I wonder if NZ is getting some of that mad cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014

Monaghan posted:

This woman sounds crazy overall, but if she's already over 30 and wants to have kids herself, it makes sense for that to be a time-based goalpost. As women approach 35, doctors start talking about the increased risk of various disorders in their babies, plus it can be more difficult to conceive in general. There are blood tests for expectant mothers over 35 to rule out things like Down syndrome.

I know one couple that wanted 3 kids, but they waited until they were more financially stable to have their first. The mother was 32. The experience was physically traumatizing, so she wasn't sure she wanted more kids after all. A couple of years later, she had more or less healed up from the childbirth and decided she wanted another kid. That's when they discovered her fertility was basically gone due to some hormonal condition. She managed to get pregnant, but the fetus didn't finish developing and had to be aborted.

Plenty of women manage to have perfectly healthy babies in their mid- to late-thirties, but I'd certainly be in a hurry if I were her and that was something I wanted out of life.

I know another couple who has 2 young kids already, and the woman is pregnant again at age 35. They've decided to do the extra blood tests due to her age. They also weren't really planning to have another baby, so they'd just gotten rid of all of their baby supplies. Plus their house is a 3-bedroom, and their current cars don't have room for 3 car seats.

Accidental kids: BWM. Waiting too long to have kids that you want: BWL?

• Locked thread