Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Chip and Ironicus were serious about how the Drakes pay for everything: when they get short on cash, they just sell off some trinket he picked up and get 4 or 5 figures.

Actually, don't salvagers make pretty good money?

Yeah salvage pays really well, but there's tons of risk because you've got a lot of up-front investment (boat, people, gear, etc.) and if a single risky job doesn't work out you may just have hosed your financials forever. The game's depiction of basic milk-run salvage jobs that keep things running vs the shady high-risk job that would be a big score is pretty accurate from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

From the sounds of it they're not even working Salvage on that one, they're being paid by the original owner to recover it.

Also don't those tanks hold a couple hours worth of air? How'd Drake manage to get critically low scouting a presumably small search area (a trailer truck can only fly so far off a bridge) in a river? Probably hunting for treasures (love the arcade token).

Also IT'S AN AIR TANK NOT AN OXYGEN TANK. One is for first aid the other for breathing under water. This is not difficult people.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Goddamn, Nolan North and Emily Rose are just earning their goddamn pay in this game. North gets made fun of a lot because of how ubiquitous and typecast he's gotten, but the guy's legitimately a goddamn fantastic VA.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd heard about the Crash Bandicoot scene but had no idea of the context. That was incredible.

I loved this episode

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

double nine posted:

Also IT'S AN AIR TANK NOT AN OXYGEN TANK. One is for first aid the other for breathing under water. This is not difficult people.

If we're getting pedantic, can I just point out that it's not really "Nate's" salvage company - the name is Jameson Marine Inc (you can see it on the sign @13:22). Jameson is the Black guy Nate was talking to. Nate's maybe co-founder or something.

Also, am I the only one who finds it interesting that Nate's big objection to the proposed treasure hunt is that they don't have permits, given how this series began?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
All right guys, I just heard some really disheartening things about comments left on DeviousDrake69's channel and that poo poo has to stop. We won't keep making videos like this if people keep acting like assholes over it. Using a camcorder is not a moral failing.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Well, when you can clearly afford stuff like a destination wedding or a fancy rear end Cintiq-esque tablet but still refuse to get proper LP equipment, maybe it should be :colbert: just cut down on delivery and sodas for a month and how hard could it be to save up, jeez

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

General Ironicus posted:

All right guys, I just heard some really disheartening things about comments left on DeviousDrake69's channel and that poo poo has to stop. We won't keep making videos like this if people keep acting like assholes over it. Using a camcorder is not a moral failing.

I actually did a reverse search on DeviousDrake's profile and found his Facebook page. Should I post it? Anyone want his deets? :smug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Apep727 posted:

Also, am I the only one who finds it interesting that Nate's big objection to the proposed treasure hunt is that they don't have permits, given how this series began?

And what happened then? That's right, he got shot at by a bunch of pirates. and met his future wife

He has a wife to think about now! Adventure, bah. Excitement, bah.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And what happened then? That's right, he got shot at by a bunch of pirates. and met his future wife

He has a wife to think about now! Adventure, bah. Excitement, bah.

Hey, that didn't stop him last time.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

All the details in that video were so good, and the Nate/Elena interaction was so sweet! :3:

Basically, Ironicus is my emotional stand in here.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I cannot think of a game with better looking hair in it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nathan would probably be able to do pretty well in academia if it weren't for his kleptomania and the fact that he ends up destroying every ruin he finds.

I don't know why Elena is encouraging him to go off the straight and narrow, they seem to be alright financially. They could just go on another vacation instead.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Spiritus Nox posted:

Goddamn, Nolan North and Emily Rose are just earning their goddamn pay in this game. North gets made fun of a lot because of how ubiquitous and typecast he's gotten, but the guy's legitimately a goddamn fantastic VA.

I should mention that in previous games, the actors did the VO and body motion capture for the cutscenes. This is the first Uncharted game where they're actually mocapping the actor's faces as well, and it really shows. Pretty much everybody in this game is an awesome actor, but Emily Rose especially knocks it out of the park in later parts of the game. There's some specific facial animation stuff later on in the game that's just fuckin' mind blowing to me. Like, there are times where you see people swallow nervously after finishing talking in this game and it just looks completely real.

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 19, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nathan would probably be able to do pretty well in academia if it weren't for his kleptomania and the fact that he ends up destroying every ruin he finds.

I don't know why Elena is encouraging him to go off the straight and narrow, they seem to be alright financially. They could just go on another vacation instead.
I think Nate would get bored with academia when he has to deal with stick in the mud archaeologists who get mad when you want to find a lost civilization instead of looking at some peasant's trash pit. That poo poo didn't bring in the big bucks when museums first started, going to other countries' and taking their priceless treasures did!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Because it's fairly obvious that Nathan's going through Treasure withdrawal. The small stuff he finds while salvaging keeps him going but he's really hankering for his next big thing and there's this Malaysia job where everything is good except the permits it seems like it would be a nice, 'safe' risk to take.

Elena has already forgotten that sending him on a treasure hunt means something's going to explode horribly and collapse, but she's only been on what, two of his adventures total?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

When you love someone you want to see them fulfilled and happy, even if their path to happiness inevitably ends up with them being flung around by some catastrophic transportation-related disaster, and is also littered with corpses

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Since Naughty Dog exists in the Uncharted universe because of Crash Bandicoot, what did they develop in Uncharted's place??

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chip Cheezum posted:

Since Naughty Dog exists in the Uncharted universe because of Crash Bandicoot, what did they develop in Uncharted's place??
It's still Uncharted, but it's an award winning series about cartographers during the colonial era with amazing graphics

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chip Cheezum posted:

Crash Team Racing 2 through 18

edit: In this universe Crash Team Racing is actually a long-beloved series akin to Need for Speed or Burnout

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Chip Cheezum posted:

I'd like to imagine they never would have sold the rights and keep on making Crash games that are actually good.

:gbsmith:

(fake edit: ^^^yeah this. Crash Team Racing is still the best cart racer I've ever played.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They made the Uncharted games, and are currently in lawsuits with Drake et all for "coincidences that just keep getting weirder".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

They made the Uncharted games, and are currently in lawsuits with Drake et all for "coincidences that just keep getting weirder".
No, see, in our game the submarine came from downriver

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

JT Jag posted:

No, see, in our game the submarine came from downriver

i love this joke because it is all based on c&i mishearing a line

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chip Cheezum posted:

Still making Jak and Daxter games which must have become really popular seeing how there are board games for them

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Astro Ambulance posted:

i love this joke because it is all based on c&i mishearing a line

What is it supposed to be?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Drake says it came up the river during flood season. Not that it came from up the river. As in it was down the river, and was washed up there after after a flood. Logistically that makes even less sense than if it actually had come from upriver considering it's at the top of a waterfall but hey whatever.

edit: Alternatively he might have meant that during the expedition it was flood season, and they parked it there and didn't come back (because they all got killed by weird gremlin descendant thingies) and thus it became marooned.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 19, 2016

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

CJacobs posted:

Drake says it came up the river during flood season. Not that it came from up the river. As in it was down the river, and was washed up there after after a flood. Logistically that makes even less sense than if it actually had come from upriver considering it's at the top of a waterfall but hey whatever.

edit: Alternatively he might have meant that during the expedition it was flood season, and they parked it there and didn't come back (because they all got killed by weird gremlin descendant thingies) and thus it became marooned.

I always wondered about that, because you hear the Decendants in that part of the game, but it's a completely different area. Then again Drake and company probably never told anyone about the death monsters that probably need dealt with.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

The treasure hunts are pretty much vacations. Who knows what ruins Elena destroyed on her Bangkok trip?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Bruceski posted:

No the lawsuit is because Drake didn't agree to have his likeness used by Naughty Dog when Sully sold them the license. It's also the reason Drake and Sully haven't seen each other in two years. On the up shot people in the Uncharted Universe get to play as Sully, with Drake as his sidekick. You would not believe how many sex mini games there are.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

White Coke posted:

No the lawsuit is because Drake didn't agree to have his likeness used by Naughty Dog when Sully sold them the license. It's also the reason Drake and Sully haven't seen each other in two years. On the up shot people in the Uncharted Universe get to play as Sully, with Drake as his sidekick. You would not believe how many sex mini games there are.
This is now the canon answer

Except Sully sold the likeness to Naughty Dog a decade ago and Drake only found out 2 years ago because he's not a gamer

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

That was too cute that episode, I'm also one of the people who never played Uncharted (what's a TV?) and my only exposure is through your LP's so it felt really weird having an emotional connection to that scene.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

I can't believe we're in the latter half of 2016 and this is still happening!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Crash Team Racing 2 through 18

edit: In this universe Crash Team Racing is actually a long-beloved series akin to Need for Speed or Burnout

crash team racing is already similar to burnout in this universe in that they don't make them anymore

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Regy Rusty posted:

I'd heard about the Crash Bandicoot scene but had no idea of the context. That was incredible.

I loved this episode

I wonder how long you can actually play it? Like, is it just the first level, does it autokill you at some point, can you literally play through the whole game?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

KozmoNaut posted:

I wonder how long you can actually play it? Like, is it just the first level, does it autokill you at some point, can you literally play through the whole game?

You can complete the level, it's not very long. If you make it to the end there's one of those warp stones you stand on and are taken to the scoring screen just like you would if losing all lives.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So, like the original demo, then.

Still, it's a pretty cool easter egg.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I finished the level but elena's score was higher than mine so nothing in the scene changed iirc

idk what happens if you beat her score, or even if you can

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can beat her score, there's a cheevo for doing it. I dunno how it changes the scene but I'm assuming Drake gloats instead and it's just as heartwarming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If Uncharted existed in the Uncharted universe, you could have Elena trying to teach Nate to play his own game.

e: Nathan - "Augh, this is nothing like the real thing"

• Locked thread