Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's the Fist of the Finicum

they knew dragonglass could kill UN stormtroopers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Judge Grasty at least had a law background and was trying to work through the system, rather than declaring it a failure for not immediately giving him everything he wanted.

I loved how he tried to explain to the COWS people just how badly Ammon had hosed the entire movement and they couldn't understand the idea. They understood it so little that their initial reaction was, "OK yeah well maybe but you can't blame that on Ammon! He's a hero! How do his actions have anything to do with how this movement is perceived." Their hero worship and need to protect Ammon from any and all criticism was a serious issue for them throughout the entire meeting.

And by that point Grasty is so pissed his response is, "You're elected officials. How do you not understand how this works?"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There's lots of obsidian in that area of Oregon (see: glass buttes) and a lot of flint knappers. Worked obsidian is basically garbage, perfect for the memorial

I'm gonna pass through Burns and past the refuge tomorrow. Glad it's not filled with idiots anymore.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Everything is Terrible! regular contributor Loose Meat has made a lovely supercut of a classic SovCit video. It's a good summary to show friends if they ask what one is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd1gyur9QQU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Cliven Bundy getting on a plane was just the most amazingly stupid thing to do.

Given the offer/motivation came from a standing politician, he probably thought he was going to get diplomatic immunity or something.

ansel autisms posted:

There's lots of obsidian in that area of Oregon (see: glass buttes) and a lot of flint knappers. Worked obsidian is basically garbage, perfect for the memorial

I'm gonna pass through Burns and past the refuge tomorrow. Glad it's not filled with idiots anymore.

You should swing past the memorial and dump a few bags of rock salt on it to salt the earth

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Aug 18, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SocketWrench posted:

You should swing past the memorial and dump a few bags of rock salt on it to salt the earth

Don't be silly. The best thing that can happen is the site becomes overgrown and invisible.

Plant some kudzu.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Just keep moving the memorial 100 feet at a time down the road.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Goodpancakes posted:

Just keep moving the memorial 100 feet at a time down the road.

This, but ten feet and you move it weekly

It would be months before anyone noticed

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Can goons adopt that stretch of highway and make sure that litter doesn't collect at the site.

By litter I mean any sort of memorial.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Winner is Jew posted:

Can goons adopt that stretch of highway and make sure that litter doesn't collect at the site.

What, you mean go outside???

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The best part is that it seems to be on private land so they are dumping garbage on somebody's property against their will to make a monument to a martyr for personal freedom. What a bunch of yokels

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bad Moon posted:

The best part is that it seems to be on private land so they are dumping garbage on somebody's property against their will to make a monument to a martyr for personal freedom. What a bunch of yokels

*stares blankly, slack-jawed, for a few minutes*

but he's a hero

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bad Moon posted:

Personal freedom is only for true patriots. The rest of you boats are on your own, but not freedom on your own, just your own, under control of the system....of port authorities...for you boats...*odd silence*...fringe flag....naval...FINICUM DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

SocketWrench posted:

Personal freedom is only for true patriots. The rest of you boats are on your own, but not freedom on your own, just your own, under control of the system....of port authorities...for you boats...*odd silence*...fringe flag....naval...FINICUM DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG!

Crossdrew wrong.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Facebook Aunt posted:

What, you mean go outside???

Going outside means trolling people to their face though.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

Given the offer/motivation came from a standing politician, he probably thought he was going to get diplomatic immunity or something.

If I was passing on 395 I'd take a nice, steamy piss on it. Maybe I'll adjust my route...

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Moon posted:

This is an outrage. LaVoy's sacrifice and his memorial represent the shared heritage of the American people. If only there were some sort of third party, a sort of custodian, that could legally own the land on behalf of the citizens and manage it in their best interests.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Mr. Nice! posted:

One of my favorite Fiore moments was when she was in a call with all the local Harney county officials and tried to call Ammon a rancher. The judge, already at wits end with these loons, immediately cuts her off and calls him a used car salesman that happened to grow up on a ranch.

i know the bundys are lovely people but callin one of em a used car salesman, wow thats low

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Winner is Jew posted:

Gasoline is cheap.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ansel autisms posted:

Any particular reason why there is a bunch of flint knappers/what they do it for?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Its a weird hobby a lot of people do. Picked up by armchair historians, archaeologists, and just people collecting stones. If you are good enough you can sell your stuff at fairs.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Goodpancakes posted:

Its a weird hobby a lot of people do. Picked up by armchair historians, archaeologists, and just people collecting stones. If you are good enough you can sell your stuff at fairs.

Ah thanks. I would imagine it drives people doing archaeological work insane though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

cumshitter posted:

Judge Grasty at least had a law background and was trying to work through the system, rather than declaring it a failure for not immediately giving him everything he wanted.

I loved how he tried to explain to the COWS people just how badly Ammon had hosed the entire movement and they couldn't understand the idea. They understood it so little that their initial reaction was, "OK yeah well maybe but you can't blame that on Ammon! He's a hero! How do his actions have anything to do with how this movement is perceived." Their hero worship and need to protect Ammon from any and all criticism was a serious issue for them throughout the entire meeting.

And by that point Grasty is so pissed his response is, "You're elected officials. How do you not understand how this works?"

I can't imagine something more frustrating than having these kind of people supporting the same cause you do without being as crazy/stupid as them.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

see also: donald j trump lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Geostomp posted:

I can't imagine something more frustrating than having these kind of people supporting the same cause you do without being as crazy/stupid as them.

Sure you can

Just go pull up video of an OWS supporter getting interviewed, the memories will come right back to you.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mirthless posted:

Sure you can

Just go pull up video of an OWS supporter getting interviewed, the memories will come right back to you.

Or anything Jill Stein posts on Twitter. Or comes out of her mouth.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

quote:

Citing ‘communistic mentality,’ son of Cliven Bundy withdraws children from county school

Citing the "communistic mentality" of county school administrators, Cliven Bundy's son has withdrawn his children from county schools.

Ryan Bundy said he made the decision following a disagreement this week with administrators at Virgin Valley High School, where his daughter was set to attend. School officials refused to let the girl carry a pocket knife on school grounds, citing safety concerns. Bundy said he feels that's a violation of his children's rights, and has decided to pursue education for them elsewhere.

"When we make a rule that affects the whole based on the actions of the few, that's communism," he said.

Bundy said he understood the safety concerns and agreed that a pocket knife wasn't necessary for day to day school activities, but added "there is no crime in having something."

When he was a student at Virgin Valley, Bundy said, he brought pocket knives and guns to school without an issue. He said he and his friends kept guns in their lockers and helped a teacher restore an antique rifle in shop class. He used his pocket knife when he wanted to clean his fingernails or scrape something away. He doesn't understand why his daughter can't do the same, and feels that students are being treated as potential criminals rather than responsible and intelligent people.

Another dispute, this time regard​​ing school officials' ability to search his daughter's locker, also contributed to his decision. He said that was a violation of her Constitutional rights.

But administrators said it's out of their hands.

"If I allow one student to carry a knife, I have to allow 40," said Cliff Hughes, principal of Virgin Valley. "On the ranch, you bet. Here we have no classes that require a knife."

According to Clark County School District discipline guidelines, “knives, including but not limited to switch blade, pen knife, pocket knife, hunting knife, and similar objects" are considered weapons.

Bundy, who said he didn't set out to publicize the issue, was upset when reporters told him that a faculty member had tipped them off to the story.

"I'm not trying to make a larger issue out of it," he said. "It's between me, my daughter and the school."

He said he would consider enrolling his daughter in the school if the principal agreed to waive the rule and allow his daughter to bring her pocket knife.

"[Children] should feel free to make those decisions," Bundy said.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2014/aug/29/citing-communistic-mentality-son-cliven-bundy-with/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

'When I was a kid, I brought guns to school' is not, perhaps, the most compelling argument.

Particularly in a post-Columbine, post-Newtown world.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Cliven Bundy getting on a plane was just the most amazingly stupid thing to do.

i think he honestly believed he was untouchable. he got a fathead and started to believe his own horseshit and got nabbed. he got lucky with the blm ranch standoff and thought he could push further.

Mirthless posted:

That interaction was esp. hilarious since the judge is kind of a right wing sagebrush crazy himself

He wasn't just pissed at the Bundys for being a bunch of wannabe pretend ranchers, he was pissed at them for how massively their dumb stunt discredited the sagebrush movement and how hard it is going to be to get traction anymore through legislative means

And he was right, of course. It takes a hell of a lot more political capital now to get anything done on "giving the land back to the states" and I can't imagine the handful of rural yahoos it affects will ever have any luck getting the process moving again. Good. I'd rather have wild birds than a bunch of dumb ranchers living on handouts from the federal government anyway

this. I feel bad for the people who had genuine grievances and concerns about government land and zoning/permits and all that poo poo. but then they stupidly backed the worst possible choice because an imitation is always better then the real thing.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mors Rattus posted:

'When I was a kid, I brought guns to school' is not, perhaps, the most compelling argument.

This is the same guy who complained they were violating his civil rights by not letting him carry a gun in prison. He's not too good at making an argument. Or even forming a coherent one in his head, really.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

well how else are kids supposed to protect themselves from school shooters and statist molesters?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't even get how he was able to function in the real world, it's amazing that he was able to go to Malheur because he wasn't jailed for something else.

He's told every authority figure he's met to gently caress off, to the point of getting in trouble for showing up to his own kid's court hearing and making an rear end of himself. He's the real life "fuk u i wont do what you tell me." Whatever broke the part of his brain that made him slack faced took away his ability to anticipate consequences.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mors Rattus posted:

:freep: the only way to stop a bad student with a gun is a good student with a gun!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't think bringing a gun to school was ever considered a normal thing to do even before it became associated with school shootings, christ this man is broken

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
At my suburban Montana high school post-Columbine it was still acceptable to keep guns and ammunition in parked vehicles. Taking them into the buildings or loving around with them on campus was verboten though.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yeah back in the day id just kick my heels up on my desk and hock chaw into the spittoon and pick the cow poo poo out from my nails with muh bowie knife. hell we didn't even wipe the cow poo poo off our boots thats what the sawdust was for. they got them kids learnin in a skinning box these days it makes em soft

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Subterfrugal posted:

At my suburban Montana high school post-Columbine it was still acceptable to keep guns and ammunition in parked vehicles. Taking them into the buildings or loving around with them on campus was verboten though.

We have don't ask don't tell policies at my local high schools wrt guns, drugs, dead hookers etc

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kid at my high school got in a bunch of trouble for having a pellet pistol in his car while it was parked in the school lot. They were thinking of not letting him go through graduation because of it. That wad in 2005 I think. He hung himself in his garage around a year later for presumably some other reason.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I don't think bringing a gun to school was ever considered a normal thing to do even before it became associated with school shootings, christ this man is broken
Pre-Columbine, kids at my high school used to have hunting rifles in their cars in the school parking lot on a pretty regular basis. It was rural and our district covered a good sized area, so kids who were going hunting with friends after school would put their gun in their trunk rather than spend an hour or so running home to get it, before going to where ever they were hunting. No one thought much of it.

Post-Columbine, most people decided it wasn't a good idea, but I know a few kids who still did it, they were just a lot more careful and didn't talk about it.

Carrying it into the building though, or even taking it out of the trunk to show someone wasn't done. Even Pre-Columbine, everyone understood that was a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
one time ole bill hickerson stumbled in drunk to class comin' ter pick a fight with missus mccreedy our math teacher and we whooped him good, sent him flyin back out those swingy saloon doors. we were a tough math class but she didnt take no guff from us and if youd'a seen her with a six shooter youd know why we didnt give her none. yup. taught me algebra what with six minus yeehaw shots meaning she had four left in the chamber