Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Endless Mike posted:

Not sure what's to be confused about Plex offering AV installation companies a way to install and support their software.

I just don't understand how you "sell" Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
You don't, you sell the installation of plex.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Horn posted:

You don't, you sell the installation of plex.

along with what appears to be a lifetime plexpass.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't see what's even remotely surprising about that move.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I know plenty of people who would have no idea how to install it or how to Google how to install it and would rather pay someone else.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I am probably one of the more tech savvy people you know, and if someone came to me and said "we'll set up your home theatre for $500", it'd be a deal so fast your head would spin.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So you set it up for a client...but where are their media coming from? Do you expect them to rip all their discs using a combination of MakeMKV, Handbrake, etc.? Do you do it for them? Does Plex expect you to sell them a setup full of your pirated media?! :stare:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Same as other systems. You rip theirs or you set up some sort of scan of a folder where the downloads for their subscriptions live.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Atomizer posted:

So you set it up for a client...but where are their media coming from? Do you expect them to rip all their discs using a combination of MakeMKV, Handbrake, etc.? Do you do it for them? Does Plex expect you to sell them a setup full of your pirated media?! :stare:

I promise to give them access to a remote login server hosting 15,000 HD movie titles before disappearing with the $$$. :smugmrgw:

Piracy is so rampant now that salesmen in stores assume people have hard drives full of movies.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 19, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Zogo posted:

I promise to give them access to a remote login server hosting 15,000 HD movie titles before disappearing with the $$$. :smugmrgw:

Piracy is so rampant now that salesmen in stores assume people have hard drives full of movies.

I'd be concerned with trying to screw someone over with the promise of pirated multimedia and hoping they didn't try to turn me in in retaliation.

I'm sure plenty of people have their own drives full of movies, but I was thinking about customers who just have libraries of hundreds of discs. If they haven't started ripping them yet, they're probably not the type who you can just tell to do it, you'd have to hold their hand through it. It's not difficult to use Handbrake, but you know there are older and/or less technologically-inclined people who'd balk at all the options and having to pick through multiple streams to get their movies transcoded. And of course it takes time; it took me what, 4 months around the clock to do 1500 titles?

I mean I suppose as a home theater installer you could just ask people if they have their stuff on HDDs, and if so then those would be the customers to offer PMS.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I'm sure plenty of people have their own drives full of movies, but I was thinking about customers who just have libraries of hundreds of discs. If they haven't started ripping them yet, they're probably not the type who you can just tell to do it, you'd have to hold their hand through it. It's not difficult to use Handbrake, but you know there are older and/or less technologically-inclined people who'd balk at all the options and having to pick through multiple streams to get their movies transcoded. And of course it takes time; it took me what, 4 months around the clock to do 1500 titles?

I mean I suppose as a home theater installer you could just ask people if they have their stuff on HDDs, and if so then those would be the customers to offer PMS.

What? The people that don't have it on HDs but are contacting home theatre installers are the ones you'd make sure to offer the PMS installer service for. They are the type that you'd charge them to digitize it. It fits a nice level of cost below the Kaleidoscope setsup.

Then, when you take an inventory of their list of titles, you use your version that you already have because they probably have the classics / popular movies and then you manually do the rest. And with how much you're charging them you can pay someone to help do it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

sellouts posted:

What? The people that don't have it on HDs but are contacting home theatre installers are the ones you'd make sure to offer the PMS installer service for. They are the type that you'd charge them to digitize it. It fits a nice level of cost below the Kaleidoscope setsup.

Then, when you take an inventory of their list of titles, you use your version that you already have because they probably have the classics / popular movies and then you manually do the rest. And with how much you're charging them you can pay someone to help do it.

This sounds like the makings of a major copyright infringement suit, at least in the US.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You don't give them media. You install the server, you set up their devices, you ask them if they want remote access when out of the house, you ask them if they want any of the popular channels. You ask them what they want libraries of and set up folders for that and tell them what to do.

You can't hold someone's hand through ripping most discs in the US because defeating any DRM, no matter how antiquated or simple, is against the DMCA.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Exactly. In some circumstances, the consumer can break DRM to make a personal backup copy. You can't accept payment from someone to break the DRM to create a backup copy on their behalf, and you certainly can't repurpose your personal backups to avoid the cost of ripping physical DVDs as part of a for-profit business.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You tell them to get the media using torrents and a VPN and that their kid can handle that part. Maybe if you feel like it you can show little Dylan how to fix an incorrect metadata match.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Speaking of kaleidescape

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleidescape_is_shutting_down_interview_with_ceo_cheena_srinivasan

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 20, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Exactly. In some circumstances, the consumer can break DRM to make a personal backup copy. You can't accept payment from someone to break the DRM to create a backup copy on their behalf, and you certainly can't repurpose your personal backups to avoid the cost of ripping physical DVDs as part of a for-profit business.

I should have been clearer. You can't publicly offer it. But this stuff happens regularly, and to think it wouldn't happen with a cheap knock off of a Kalediescape solution is naive. But you're right of course. Not to mention opening yourself up to a stream of problems whenever people get new media.

But I think Kaleidescape gets away with it because they comply with the AACS agreement. I forgot/didn't realize that their systems are basically disc vaults that lock the discs away to make sure that they're compliant. Edit: whoops they got sued and the injunction prevented them from selling the disc vaults.

Being a Plex installer sounds like a miserable gig though. People too cheap to buy a pro system and not smart enough to break the rules themselves. The support alone would be constantly frustrating.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 20, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
You're probably right, but "We probably won't get caught" isn't the best long-term business model.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone know how to see any examples of the Extras you get with the Plex Pass Premium? Is it all just crap from YouTube? Or are there good extras? The features page on the Plex website says it includes cast interviews, director commentaries, and deleted scenes. But is that crap I have to rip myself or does it stream that stuff off the web? I haven't sat down to watch DVD extras in years, but for a few bucks a year I thought it would be a neat thing as long as it's not all 2 minute press kit junk.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Violator posted:

Does anyone know how to see any examples of the Extras you get with the Plex Pass Premium? Is it all just crap from YouTube? Or are there good extras? The features page on the Plex website says it includes cast interviews, director commentaries, and deleted scenes. But is that crap I have to rip myself or does it stream that stuff off the web? I haven't sat down to watch DVD extras in years, but for a few bucks a year I thought it would be a neat thing as long as it's not all 2 minute press kit junk.

Plex Pass extras are mostly made up of content available online, e.g., trailers, vfx featurettes, cast/crew interviews, etc. Deleted scenes and any like "making of" documentaries that'd come with the blu-ray aren't typically included with that Plex Pass perk. For example, here are the extras available for Pacific Rim that were automatically fetched when I added the movie to my library.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 24, 2016

Violator
May 15, 2003

teagone posted:

Plex Pass extras are mostly made up of content available online, e.g., trailers, vfx featurettes, cast/crew interviews, etc. Deleted scenes and any like "making of" documentaries that'd come with the blu-ray aren't typically included with that Plex Pass perk. For example, here are the extras available for Pacific Rim that were automatically fetched when I added the movie to my library.

Ah, thanks for the info. About what I expected. Looks like a nice perk combined with the other features for a few bucks a month.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Violator posted:

Ah, thanks for the info. About what I expected. Looks like a nice perk combined with the other features for a few bucks a month.

Yeah, it's a cool added feature for Plex Pass subs. Not all films get as many extras as Pacific Rim though; some just get maybe a trailer or two and an interview with the director.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Do TV shows get extras?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

iajanus posted:

Do TV shows get extras?

They do not. Only movies get "automatic extras" with a Plex Pass sub.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I just wish I could 'play all' extras for a movie on Apple TV. It's a pain to select each one when some of them are 30 seconds or less.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I wish they would make it so that when you choose the artwork for a particular TV series or movie, you could select several different images, and the server would automatically rotate the images every couple days or week or whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think that would confuse the hell out of me, personally.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Well this sure is something. http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/1/12747590/plex-dvr-HDHomeRun-OTA-recording

And yet, they still can't provide me the ability to make my own channels/stations like PseudoTV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Welp, might be time to get that Plex Pass.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's only for OTA TV. Never mind!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It also doesn't allow live viewing yet.

A week for my tv to be delivered. I suppose that is worth 1200 in savings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lack of live viewing isn't a *huge* issue for me since I have Channels on my Apple TVs for that, but it would be nice to have a DVR integrated into something I already use.

That said, the article comments and the Plex page say it works with CableCARD, as well, so maybe I'll get a month of Plex Pass and give it a shot.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry, why wouldn't you want to watch something live that you're DVRing if you're at home? This seems like a pretty obvious and big feature.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I agree. I'm saying FOR ME PERSONALLY, it's not a big deal since I have other options for watching live TV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely worth a try just to see how it goes. They certainly get kudos for making a real attempt at a DVR solution.

I'll likely give it a month to see how it works.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feels like this could help pry Windows MCE out of a few remaining die-hards who love the DVR features.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

This would be handy in my house. We use an Xbox one with its goofy OTA tuner but there's also an HDHomerun on the network for PCs and phones. DVR through Plex isn't perfect in that setup, but it's a lot better than the nothing MS ended up doing for owners of the tuner.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really like the Xbox one TV setup. Lets you feed OTA + another input into one guide. Plex implementation isn't bad.

I need to get the One S so I can get HDR in Forza Horizon 3.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

First look at the Plex DVR Beta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJ7el6Gajc

Once/if Plex DVR is able to playback stuff live and have a nice channel guide, I may finally venture into greener pastures and get an homerun prime added to my setup. Having all my media content AND live TV/DVR in Plex would be so dope.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

What do SlingTV, Playstation Vue, and now Plex have against the standard grid-style TV guide? It works, it makes visual sense, it packs a good amount of information on the screen at once, it's easy to see if you have overlapping recordings set...why do they all feel the need to be so precious about layout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

What do SlingTV, Playstation Vue, and now Plex have against the standard grid-style TV guide? It works, it makes visual sense, it packs a good amount of information on the screen at once, it's easy to see if you have overlapping recordings set...why do they all feel the need to be so precious about layout?

It is in beta, so it could change I guess. But I agree, for the TV guide layout, I'd prefer something more traditional.