Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Proposed Budget: 10-20k CAD
New or Used: either, but don't want the new car premium if I don't need it
Body Style: 2/4 door
How will you be using the car?: commuting about 50 km a day, occasional long trips out of town up to 600 km, driving in Southern Ontario snow
What aspects are most important to you?mostly FE, reliability, and something I can show up to a meeting with that doesn't look like a transportation appliance. Good climate control is basically all I want. Maybe an aux jack for my phone.

So having read the past 230 pages I figure I'm in line for a bunch of vehicles like a civic or an elantra. I'm having trouble narrowing down what to go sit in at the dealer. The Mazda 3 sounds like it has problems with snow and salt rust.

The last time I drove manual was in Scotland 11 years ago. I'm sure it's all part of the driving experience, but I think I'd prefer an automatic. I'm not entirely against relearning however.

My current car is a 2003 Buick that just got backed into by a mystery truck and a piston failed shortly after. I'll need a new one soon, as this busted piece of poo poo is not good for business.

Thanks fellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If a civic or elantra meets the requirements so does a prius. A prius also still sort of defies class lines, ao if you're worried about looking like a filthy poor it works.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Goondolences. Have you looked at the FRS/BRZ? Possibly a WRX?
All too ricey. And too plastic. I'm into luxury. Guess I should have said that.

skipdogg posted:

Mustang GT convertible
Had one as a 20-something, Cobra wheels on it and flowmaster exhaust, it was a great car. Need something else now.

I think I'm going to shop the Lexus and Mercedes lines and see what I like there.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

nm posted:

If a civic or elantra meets the requirements so does a prius. A prius also still sort of defies class lines, ao if you're worried about looking like a filthy poor it works.

Actually, I just want something that is less stodgy than the prius. I understand the appeal, but I'd rather get a coupe or something that is a little more fun.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

nm posted:

Also, do any of those (besides the lgt) have a tow rating? Obviously doesn't need to be high, but I wouldn't tow without anything unless you like being found at fault in any accident.

I see lots of forums posts about the 3 not having a rating. I didn't realize so many cars didn't have a rating at all. That's disappointing, but not a deal breaker

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

photomikey posted:

I'll turn 40 in a couple of months and it looks like I'm headed for divorce. I'm looking for a mid-life crisis car. Something sporty. Budget $20k-$30k, maybe something 3-6 years old. Convertible is a plus (I mean, it's a mid-life crisis car, might as well). I like Corvette, Camaro, etc, but maybe something slightly less "slap-you-across-the-face mid-life crisis car" and something more "cool mid-life guy" car.

BMW Z4?

Suggestions?

wait a couple months and get the new rf Miata?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

DOOP posted:

wait a couple months and get the new rf Miata?
If I go gay after my impending divorce, I would look spectacular in a Miata.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think your mid life crisis is being a oval office.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Nevermind, the RF Miata is pretty hot looking. Really hot looking. If I could get over the emasculating feeling of asking people if they want to go for a ride in my Miata.

Sorry about my oval office-y attitude. I've been drinking since noon. This divorce stuff is hard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is this gonna be your daily? Because if not, you can get something a hell of a lot more interesting for 30k.

s2000 comes to mind. I think you can probably get a Boxster S at the top of your range by now? For laughs, I think you could also swing a Maserati GT. Just avoid the beautifully named but atrocious cambiocorsa.

New Fiat 124 spider Abarth could fit the bill I suppose and you can make it quite fast for ~600 additional dollars.

Edit: condolences on the divorce (or not, depending...). Take care of yourself.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Grumpwagon posted:

Proposed Budget: $5k-$10k, willing to stretch to $15k for the right car
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Small hatchback
How will you be using the car?: 20 mile commute, occasional longer trips.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Aux port/bluetooth is important, everything else I could take or leave
What aspects are most important to you? I can do my own work, but I'm not a mechanic, so ease of maintainability/cost of parts matter. Small car, but versatility to haul stuff. Good MPG, but we don't drive enough to pay a premium for it. I tend to favor domestics due to cheaper parts, but not a zealot.
Why not a Prius?: We don't drive enough for the MPG to matter. The reliability is nice, but I'd like something that is at least a little tiny bit fun to drive, and we both prefer manuals. It's probably the right car in a pure min/max kind of way, and that is normally the way I think about this, but I'd like to be just a little bit less practical. Only a little bit though.

I posted something similar to the above a year ago, but we ended up sticking with the car we have. It's at 200k now, and getting closer to the end. I know what advice is generally given to people in this situation (not least of all because I've asked this question before).

I'm looking at Mazda2, Mazda3 (2012+ for the Skyactiv engine. Out of my budget mostly, but in the stretch), Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus (2012+ for the redesign), Honda Fit. Maybe a Prius if we decide to go for automatics. Maybe a GTI, but I'm not sold on their reliability.

I'm still looking for cars to add to the test drive list, but I'm primarily making this post to specifically ask about the infotainment systems of these cars. I have a tiny bit of experience with SYNC, but I'm hoping someone can speak to the ease of use of some of the systems in my price range (i.e. several years old). I've heard Mazda's is not very good, SYNC is fine, but MyFordTouch is bad, and I know nothing about Honda's. That could all be really out of date though, and it's not based on much. I'm going to some dealers to test drive, but I'd love some feedback on this specifically. I've heard Chevy's is good, but I'm not sure if they have a good small hatchback in my price range. Thanks!

To follow up on this, I bought a 2008 Versa Hatch manual with 88k miles in really good condition for $3300. I probably would have bought the 2007 Mazda3 hatch (with a tape deck????) with 120k miles for roughly the same price if it were my car, but the wife liked the Versa more. I expected to hate it, given how poorly it was reviewed, but I didn't. Great back seat room, seats folded down nicer than the Mazda's. 6 speed manual, 30k fewer miles, killer price, bluetooth, moonroof. It drove fine. I mean, it drives like a transportation appliance, but I expected it to be offensive, and it wasn't. We'll see how I feel after owning it for a while, but for now I'm pretty happy with it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm in no rush to buy, but I'm still interested (i'm stuck on the internet across the globe right now) on a used 2007 Mazda MAZDA6 s Sport Wagon Touring. It has 98,949 miles but it checks the right boxes for everything else for me. My budget is $8k but I'm comfortable spending up to $10k if the thing is perfect. I live in Vegas.

What do I need to watch out for with this model/year? I'm comfortable spending on maintenance but I like to know what things are gonna cost four digits after shop hours get tacked on.

What are other options that would I look at if I'm looking for a wagon (I know they're not that common, but my wife is really short and feels uncomfortable driving SUV's), seating for four real people and two dogs on a road trip, and cargo space for the associated things? I've looked at Subarus, but there's slim pickens in the Vegas Valley on Subarus in my budget, and I loving HATE the xB (the only Toyota I've seen with the specs) with a passion.

e: or maybe i could afford a BMW :shepspends:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 19, 2016

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Sits on Pilster posted:

Proposed Budget: $12,000 (if used) - $16,000 (if new, see below)

New or Used: Leaning towards used because value but I can get good deals on new Fords and Hyundais through my work. $16k round about for a new base 2016 Focus, maybe $17k for a new base 2016 Elantra.

Body Style: Compact but not sub-compact. Elantra, Focus, Corolla, etc.

How will you be using the car?: Wife's daily driver. Mostly around town/doing errands. Lowish annual mileage, I would expect. We have a 1 year old.

What aspects are most important to you?

- Not huge
- Backup camera
- Reliability
- Safety
- A/C for hellish Texas summers

Where does she live?

Dallas, TX

Misc.

Wife test drove a new Focus and it was fine. Tiny backup camera being standard was a big plus - that's the only "extra" she cares about. Believe 2015 was the first model year for the Focus that had this. I may be able to convince her to forego a backup camera as long as the car is easy to see out the back of. Taking a serious look at the previous model year of Focuses, Elantras and Fortes for this reason and would be interested in people's thoughts about these cars, and maybe some others I haven't considered.

Ended up buying a 2014 Kia Forte EX for $10.8k. Slightly high mileage at 37k but it was maintained religiously at the dealership and with how little my wife will drive it, it will quickly become a normal, then low mileage example. Needed to get the EX for the backup camera; otherwise LX base models were selling for under $10k. Now it's crossing my fingers and hoping it's not a lemon.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
My wife drove a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with the 2.0 EcoBoost engine and really liked it. Anything to know about the car? She preferred it over a similarly equipped Accord. Purpose will be her 50 mile round trip commute that's half extremely windy and poorly upkept mountain roads and half freeway.

And yeah, she drove the Fusion Hybrid and didn't like it as much. (Apparently she liked the extra horsepower a lot which is hilarious given how she drives.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bovril Delight posted:

I think your mid life crisis is being a oval office.

Yeah, I don't think we have to call up the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew to figure out this one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is this gonna be your daily? Because if not, you can get something a hell of a lot more interesting for 30k.

s2000 comes to mind. I think you can probably get a Boxster S at the top of your range by now? For laughs, I think you could also swing a Maserati GT. Just avoid the beautifully named but atrocious cambiocorsa.

New Fiat 124 spider Abarth could fit the bill I suppose and you can make it quite fast for ~600 additional dollars.

Edit: condolences on the divorce (or not, depending...). Take care of yourself.

He wants luxury, not a bespoke sports car that wants to kill him.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

So no S2000 but the other suggestions are perfectly fine.

You could look at the 1-series vert or the TT too I guess?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

photomikey posted:

I'll turn 40 in a couple of months and it looks like I'm headed for divorce. I'm looking for a mid-life crisis car. Something sporty. Budget $20k-$30k, maybe something 3-6 years old. Convertible is a plus (I mean, it's a mid-life crisis car, might as well). I like Corvette, Camaro, etc, but maybe something slightly less "slap-you-across-the-face mid-life crisis car" and something more "cool mid-life guy" car.

BMW Z4?

Suggestions?

E89 Z4 is always a pro choice. Find one with low miles from someone opposite of you: young then had a kid and forced to sell.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

E89 Z4 is always a pro choice. Find one with low miles from someone opposite of you: young then had a kid and forced to sell.
Yeah, that's kinda my default. The Porche Boxter suggestion was also a good one. I'll look at both of those!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

photomikey posted:

Yeah, that's kinda my default. The Porche Boxter suggestion was also a good one. I'll look at both of those!

boss 302

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

photomikey posted:

Read up on IMS failure. Not an issue starting in 2009. Before 2009 different years have different failure rates and different options for prevention. Failure means a new engine and new porsche engines are expensive as hell -- generally a five figure job with labor.

I will say, the S2000 really is the pro-est midlife crisis car. I looks good enough for everyone. It is reliable as hell. Enthusiasts of all stripes generally respect it. It has a huge aftermarket. Get an AP2 (newer one) probably as they are less of a handful to drive. The AP1 is really cool, but it really likes to oversteer.

Can you still get Lotus Elises for $30k? If so, that's an interesting option if this is going to be a fun only car. Looks like an exotic. Has a Toyota engine. Goes like stink. Completely impractical on a day to day basis as they have no cargo room, no interior comfort, and really lovely HVAC system.
Do not buy one that has been crashed. Do not buy one if you ever plan on parallel parking it as they have no bumpers -- a 5mph bump can cause thousands of dollars of damage. But they look cool and drive amazing.
Note however, that due to the door still, it is impossible to look cool getting out of one if you are taller than 5'3" or are not an Olympic gymnast.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 22, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

photomikey posted:

Back when I bought someones midlife crisis (2009 BMW Z4 with <4000 miles on it, clean PPI) from a shady corner lot it was between the Z4 and a Boxter. They're really fun to drive, make sure you're financially setup for the repairs. And get rid of the run flats if you get a Z4. Proper summer tires do wonders, and with the savings over run flat you buy AAA. (There is no spare, there is no can, do not use a can.)

A Lotus is hilariously fun to drive. I had fun and my hips were sitting on the metal bars that line the seat. If you want to see something funny, cram a 6'4" person into a Lotus. You will need a second car if you own a Lotus. nm isn't kidding about the no bumper thing, the whole car is basically 4 body panels. The front/rear clips which are fiberglass and the actual doors themselves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

Read up on IMS failure. Not an issue starting in 2009. Before 2009 different years have different failure rates and different options for prevention. Failure means a new engine and new porsche engines are expensive as hell -- generally a five figure job with labor.

I will say, the S2000 really is the pro-est midlife crisis car. I looks good enough for everyone. It is reliable as hell. Enthusiasts of all stripes generally respect it. It has a huge aftermarket. Get an AP2 (newer one) probably as they are less of a handful to drive. The AP1 is really cool, but it really likes to oversteer.

Can you still get Lotus Elises for $30k? If so, that's an interesting option if this is going to be a fun only car. Looks like an exotic. Has a Toyota engine. Goes like stink. Completely impractical on a day to day basis as they have no cargo room, no interior comfort, and really lovely HVAC system.
Do not buy one that has been crashed. Do not buy one if you ever plan on parallel parking it as they have no bumpers -- a 5mph bump can cause thousands of dollars of damage. But they look cool and drive amazing.
Note however, that due to the door still, it is impossible to look cool getting out of one if you are taller than 5'3" or are not an Olympic gymnast.

poo poo i get some dumbass yelling at me for suggesting an S2K because the guy wants luxury and then you are in here suggesting an Elise?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo i get some dumbass yelling at me for suggesting an S2K because the guy wants luxury and then you are in here suggesting an Elise?

An Elise is more fun than a S2K is spartan. Partially because it's just so unapologetically passenger hostile.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The lotus is added lightness which is a luxury feature unto itself. Just ask porsche.
Also, given the very small difference in actual luxury of an s2k v. a z4, I'd say it is more about other people's perceptions. And people who don't know cars think a lotus elise cost six figures (and people who know cars think they are cool).
There is a reason i added the lack of comfort stuff though.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

nm posted:

The lotus is added lightness which is a luxury feature unto itself. Just ask porsche.
Also, given the very small difference in actual luxury of an s2k v. a z4, I'd say it is more about other people's perceptions. And people who don't know cars think a lotus elise cost six figures (and people who know cars think they are cool).
There is a reason i added the lack of comfort stuff though.
The Elise is right up my alley for the reasons stated.

I will have to go see an s2000 in person. I live in California where everyone drives luxury cars. I just can't see myself pulling up to my buddies saying, "check out my new Honda!", but maybe I will re-consider when I see one in person. You guys have certainly put a sales pitch on it!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Nearly ten years ago my parents picked me up a 2000 Accord that, despite my sometimes horrific mistreatment, has managed to survive this long. Now that life's settled down and I've got a steady job after graduating, I'm looking to upgrade. This is my first time looking to buy a car, so I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Proposed Budget: 25k
New or Used: New preferably
Body Style: 4 Door
How will you be using the car?: 24 mile roundtrip commute, and going out of town once a month
What aspects are most important to you? I'm a big guy so I need a lot of leg room. Other than that I just want something that won't suck down gas. At the moment $20 a week gets me everywhere I need to go, and while it's good enough being able to knock that down would be even better.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Moldy Taxes posted:

Nearly ten years ago my parents picked me up a 2000 Accord that, despite my sometimes horrific mistreatment, has managed to survive this long. Now that life's settled down and I've got a steady job after graduating, I'm looking to upgrade. This is my first time looking to buy a car, so I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing.

How will you be using the car?: 24 mile roundtrip commute, and going out of town once a month
What aspects are most important to you? I'm a big guy so I need a lot of leg room. Other than that I just want something that won't suck down gas. At the moment $20 a week gets me everywhere I need to go, and while it's good enough being able to knock that down would be even better.

P
R
I
U
S

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

IRQ posted:

P
R
I
U
S

I just bought a 2012 Prius this weekend because of this thread. It was as good decision. I drove around town for an hour and the mileage reading it gave me was 60mpg. :aaa:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What are the thoughts on the evora vs Elise/Exige? saw one yesterday and it looked great. also if you like the Elise, maybe find a Tesla roadster? I believe they're the same body

at the same random car show I passed by yesterday, there were a pair of ctsv wagons which are a dream car, and a Buick grand national (license plate gnasty). all excellent mid life crisis cars IMO

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

2016 Honda Accord

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

photomikey posted:

The Elise is right up my alley for the reasons stated.

I will have to go see an s2000 in person. I live in California where everyone drives luxury cars. I just can't see myself pulling up to my buddies saying, "check out my new Honda!", but maybe I will re-consider when I see one in person. You guys have certainly put a sales pitch on it!

badge whores are the worst

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

badge whores are the worst

This guy is going to wind up with a TT, EOS, or whatever Chrysler is selling without a roof (what replaced the Sebring convertible?).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Phone posted:

This guy is going to wind up with a TT, EOS, or whatever Chrysler is selling without a roof (what replaced the Sebring convertible?).

Be fair to the guy, VW or Chrysler badge won't cut it. I vote TT, whatever that retarded new Lexus convertible is, 1 or 2 series, or SLK.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
SLK... not bad.

Not so much a badge whore, but that Honda just looks like... a Honda.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

photomikey posted:

SLK... not bad.

Not so much a badge whore, but that Honda just looks like... a Honda.

You're looking for a car that is impressive to others.

You're not looking for a car that is fun or rewarding to drive, you're looking for a status symbol on 4 wheels to signify some sort of value or worth.

Go buy some polarized sunglasses, a pink polo shirt, and something German.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Buy the most expensive bright-colored 2 door convertible thing with a German badge. Status symbol cars are easy... Think, what would YOU be impressed by? Start there

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm 6' and fit comfortably in a 2013 accord.
My 2013 sips gas:
I filled up for about $25 and drove home from vacation (180 miles) then commuted about 20 miles round trip for 4 days, and ran errands, and then my gas light went on.
I average about 21-26 mixed driving and about 35 highway.

Edit: at a comfortable seeing position my seat goes back probably 4 more inches if I wanted it to.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 23, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

What are the thoughts on the evora vs Elise/Exige? saw one yesterday and it looked great. also if you like the Elise, maybe find a Tesla roadster? I believe they're the same body

at the same random car show I passed by yesterday, there were a pair of ctsv wagons which are a dream car, and a Buick grand national (license plate gnasty). all excellent mid life crisis cars IMO

The evora is (like way) nicer inside, looks more generic, and while it drives well, it isn't quite the stunner handling wise the elise is. It is also not really any better than the competition (like a caymen).

The tesla roadster is cool but probably not on his budget, though I don't know 100% what they cost.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

tater_salad posted:

I'm 6' and fit comfortably in a 2013 accord.
My 2013 sips gas:
I filled up for about $25 and drove home from vacation (180 miles) then commuted about 20 miles round trip for 4 days, and ran errands, and then my gas light went on.
I average about 21-26 mixed driving and about 35 highway.

Edit: at a comfortable seeing position my seat goes back probably 4 more inches if I wanted it to.

I4 or V6? Been considering an accord for a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ammanas posted:

I4 or V6? Been considering an accord for a minute

I drove an Accord for a few years and the 4 cylinder was fine. It's not a fun car to drive in any way so I'm not sure what the 6 cylinder model would be all that good for other than worse FE.