Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

Anyway, now that I am done with getting flash carts for the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis, I am thinking of getting one for the Turbograhix/PC Engine. OP mentions not buying a Turbographix and just get a PC Engine at this point. Besides having better output for videos, is the console better quality with the PC Engine? I remember getting one for a kid and it breaking within a week so my parents had to return it to Toys R Us and got a SNES instead (which is a blessing in disguise). But due to this, I am worry about fragile the unit can be, especially when you add twenty years to the system.

you should slow down and enjoy what you have before jumping into yet another system, imo

e: but yes the PCEs are for the most part better built than the TG16. the original black duos are an exception and should be avoided at all cost. duo-rs and duo-rxs are fine and probably the best thing to go for now in 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

(ignore the fact that players 3 and 4 have 6 buttons. I realized it was overkill and I am filling them in.)

So I have read that a lot of people say you absolutely do NOT "angle" the directionals. Meaning they will be the same as the middle 2 joysticks even though those are not angled. Here is a diagram:

So apparently, the example in red is wrong.

A. 6 buttons was better than 4 players if you like fighting games, but as you will I guess. Don't fill them in IMO; just cap them.
B. What kind of monster are you that you just made them two straight rows? How do y'all even stand playing like that for extended periods of time? Angled buttons are so much more comfortable. :sigh:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

B. What kind of monster are you that you just made them two straight rows? How do y'all even stand playing like that for extended periods of time? Angled buttons are so much more comfortable. :sigh:

agreed, he is also using happ sticks though so idk if he cares about good controls :smugdog:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

agreed, he is also using happ sticks though so idk if he cares about good controls :smugdog:

He did, however, pick the actual worst cabinet layout to show as the bad example. 4 player Simpsons arcade is fun, unless you're player 1 or 4.

e : I guess that was the "good" example and I misread. I actually really hate that layout, but not because of the stick orientation, mostly because you have to stand at a right goddamn angle to the screen.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 18, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

OK so I need everyone's advice on this. It's a bit convoluted so bear with me.

I am about to start doing the plexiglass cutting for my MAME cabinet (the machine was already gutted. Do not worry. I did not destroy an existing game)

So anyway, I need opinions on how to "angle" the 3rd and 4th player joysticks. Now when I say angle, I mean angle in the sense of will they "line up" with their respective buttons. Due to the layout of the room my cabinet is going in, the 3rd and 4th players absolutely must be on an angle. What I need to figure out is if I am supposed to compensate the directionals. Here is my control panel:

I'm no expert, but I don't think it has anything to do with the buttons themselves or even where the screen is, but more about where you expect these people to stand. If they're a group of nine-year-olds who can all stand directly in front of the cabinet shoulder-to-shoulder, then yeah, the sticks should all face the same direction. If they're supposed to stand to the sides, then they should have their controls angled towards them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

you should slow down and enjoy what you have before jumping into yet another system, imo

e: but yes the PCEs are for the most part better built than the TG16. the original black duos are an exception and should be avoided at all cost. duo-rs and duo-rxs are fine and probably the best thing to go for now in 2016

I wasn't going to get this for a little bit. I just wanted to know before I go forward. Especially since the Gameboy turn out to be in bad shape to get a flashcart for.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

On the contrary I will tell you a black Duo is just fine as long as you have it recapped. :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Minidust posted:

I just picked up the DC version of Next Tetris, and it's listed as "VGA patchable" on that site linked earlier. For reference:
Anyone familiar with this process? Is it talking about ISOs and CDRs here or something completely different? Again, if that method where you just mess around with your VGA cable is an actual thing, I'm fine with just doing that.

The easiest way to do this stuff is to use GameShark/CodeBreaker/etc codes when they're available, which they usually are for games that have a patch out. You just burn yourself the cheat disc and they work with any VMU/memory card for code storage.

It's what I used to do for bitchy games where I could, because I never had good luck getting the patches done right. And I'm a filthy cheater anyway.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Make a two player panel with a couple of SNES or whatever ports on the ears for players 3 and 4 and done. Headaches prevented and you will thank yourself in the future.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Caitlin posted:

On the contrary I will tell you a black Duo is just fine as long as you have it recapped. :shrug:

Pretty much, the only other knock someone would have against the Turbo Duo is the AV port being on the side. :psyduck:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

Except the audio amp is positioned right next to the voltage regulator and over time will fail because of the heat generated causing it to overheat. It's stupid to get a Duo unless you want a ticking time bomb. This is why even when you replace all the capacitors and leave the system on for extended amounts of time the audio cuts out.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Never ever had my audio cut out. :shrug:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TheRedEye posted:

Just a heads up that Everdrive GBA seems to not work with like, the majority of micro SD cards that exist. Hopefully a firmware update can fix it (I'm 0/2 so far), and hopefully I can actually update the firmware considering that it requires, you know, reading off of an SD card.

This is a problem that's plaguing all of Krikzz's MicroSD-only carts. The new Mega Everdrive v2, the EDGB and the EDGBA. They all seem to hate the same brand/models of cards, and work with the same ones. This one works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5HCK/

Krikzz has been pretty unresponsive on the issue, just telling people to try other cards. I spent $50 on various cards just to find one that worked.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
$6 goldmine on ebay arrived today.

Do NOT tell Sony I own the one on the right.

As you might expect, one is full of nice colorful art and one is b&w.

The unofficial one is a better guide though. The official one literally has no chapter breaks or sections, it's just 700 screenshots and the last page is the final boss.

Bonus consternation from some kid long ago.

Bonus classic TM2 ad in the official one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

xamphear posted:

This is a problem that's plaguing all of Krikzz's MicroSD-only carts. The new Mega Everdrive v2, the EDGB and the EDGBA. They all seem to hate the same brand/models of cards, and work with the same ones. This one works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5HCK/

Krikzz has been pretty unresponsive on the issue, just telling people to try other cards. I spent $50 on various cards just to find one that worked.

I highly doubt he'll do anything about it unless it's like the Turbo Everdrive issues. He has been really bad about OS updates anymore and pretty much focuses all his time on making GBS threads out new carts.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

aren't the cd drive mechanisms of the black duos as failure-prone as original cdrom2s as well?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

xamphear posted:

The card from my Everdrive GB doesn't work in my Everdrive GBA, it's something else.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I had the same sd card issue but thankfully a spare Samsung 2gb off my shelf worked so I'll figure out a bigger one later. It's without a doubt the pickiest of my everdrives.

Also there's nothing wrong with Happ gear for the most part. They feel good in my regular Joe American hands and they have stood up to a ton of abuse from little kids over the years. (And drunken buddies)

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

flyboi posted:

I highly doubt he'll do anything about it unless it's like the Turbo Everdrive issues. He has been really bad about OS updates anymore and pretty much focuses all his time on making GBS threads out new carts.

What was that issue? I still haven't had a chance to use my Turbo Everdrive.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
you'd think he'd want to fix it when the flashcards don't work with most micro sd cards

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That the main reason I returned that chinese SNES flashcart, as it kept messing up my sd cards. I would transfer files to them, but after it been in the unit, it would lock up on a tiny 2 mb file and not want to transfer anymore.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cart reproductions are a lot of fun. My brother and fiance both like to get me them as birthday gifts now, it's a fun retro thing that never existed. I got Live a Live this year.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

TheRedEye posted:

Just a heads up that Everdrive GBA seems to not work with like, the majority of micro SD cards that exist. Hopefully a firmware update can fix it (I'm 0/2 so far), and hopefully I can actually update the firmware considering that it requires, you know, reading off of an SD card.

Yeah I was just trying to get mine set up last night and thought I messed up something until I read his forums. I'd understand if it was cheapo no-name cards but SanDisk and Samsung are probably the majority of the market. I regret ordering the card from Amazon at the same time as I preordered the Everdrive. It's now well past the return window.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Hey Hamburglar, maybe this is a really stupid suggestion and you will tell me so, but rather than having a dedicated four player CP where everything is cramped why not have a really good two player panel and build two separate control panel boxes for player 1 & 4 connected by some sort of a quick disconnect wiring harness that you can plug in and unplug as needed when you need four player support? Maybe even build legs for the control panels so that they stand upright, or find a way to hook the extra two panels on to the cabinet when needed, sort of like a food tray hooks on to a car window at a drive up restaurant? Like I said, probably a stupid suggestion but don't kill the messenger for coming up with stupid alternatives.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
That's exactly my plan for using the trackball someone gave me forever ago. I tried and tried to make it work with my existing cp but it just threw everything off. A separate modular cp would do the trick. Then you open the doors to more like racing wheels or even Operation Wolf style gun/joysticks.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jadius posted:

Hey Hamburglar, maybe this is a really stupid suggestion and you will tell me so, but rather than having a dedicated four player CP where everything is cramped why not have a really good two player panel and build two separate control panel boxes for player 1 & 4 connected by some sort of a quick disconnect wiring harness that you can plug in and unplug as needed when you need four player support? Maybe even build legs for the control panels so that they stand upright, or find a way to hook the extra two panels on to the cabinet when needed, sort of like a food tray hooks on to a car window at a drive up restaurant? Like I said, probably a stupid suggestion but don't kill the messenger for coming up with stupid alternatives.

listen to this man, also it's already been said it but it has to be reiterated, there is a really good reason why nearly every good stick has a button layout like this

there are plenty of guides for how to create this layout, I own an american SFII cabinet and I can tell you from firsthand experience US cabs are designed to be uncomfortable as hell and to get you off the machine as quick as possible, down to the lovely sticks and buttons. modelling a MAME cab after one is a mistake I see a lot of people make

e: also the buttons aren't like that just for fighting games, even a two button shooter benefits, imagine having your two fingers resting on 1(X) and 2(Y) for fire and bomb on that stick and then on a US style 6-button layout. it becomes even more uncomfortable if you're playing a cave game with autofire on button 3 (Z) enabled

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 19, 2016

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

There's a lot more games that benefit from four ways than just twenty. 90% of stuff from before 1983 is a good start.

High five for overdoing schooling. I'm taking a break from a ten page assignment on the geography of east Asia at the moment. It's part of a self-paced course that I have to do as much of as possible before my proper classes start on Monday and for the past week I've been writing about one of those a day. When classes hit on Monday I'll technically be enrolled in 19 credit hours including that course with nice long labs five days a week.

Oh yeah, I know the feeling. Doing an accelerated program night school with classes from 4 to 10 pm straight, and most of it is lab time in the shop as well. Only 15 credit hours but when its condensed so it leaves little time for other things.

Speaking of Repro carts, whose the go to for that these days? I keep toying with the idea of getting a Gun Nac cart. It's getting hard to find that one in general, never mind the price.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I would avoid spending money on repros and put it into a flash cart at this point

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I don't know, I spent money on a Mother 1+2 Repro and a Mother 3 repro and they're all fine

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

bpc908 posted:

I don't know, I spent money on a Mother 1+2 Repro and a Mother 3 repro and they're all fine

yes they work fine but what is the point when for the price of a few repros you can have a "repro" with every game on it?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

yes they work fine but what is the point when for the price of a few repros you can have a "repro" with every game on it?

I'm a person who has an insatiable lust for shelf candy but I agree 100% with this

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Repro would be cool if you had money to blow and want to own 'all' the games. Otherwise it better to go with flashcarts.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Flash carts fall out of 'gift price' range for most people I know. Repros fall really well into the sweet spot for gifts.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

eshock posted:

We had HDMI switch chat a few pages ago--is there anything in particular to look out for in an S-Video switch?

This is the first google result, would it be an OK choice for some retro consoles in a commercial Trinitron crt? https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28750-Composite-Selector/dp/B0032ANC8M

A few pages back, but I use this Svideo switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z7KJT8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like it has gone up in price since I purchased it. You should be OK with any that has decent reviews though

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I know flash carts make more sense at this point, but I think its the shelf candy/ regret of not getting it cheap years ago when I had the chance thats eating me. Technically a repro wouldn't fill that void very well either since its not a "real" one.

Sort of related, is anybody big into homebrews/hacks/etc? The only one I've ever bothered to shell out for was Water Margin: The Tales of Clouds and Winds on Genesis and I haven't even had the time to play it. I've considered many others before like Halo 2600 or one of the passable Pokemon hacks, but none of those are a clear ripoff of best game ever Streets of Rage 2, which was the tipping point on Water Margin for me. :v: Most homebrews seem kinda eh in general?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah the only repro I would consider getting is starfox 2, but even then it's difficult to justify because it's not that great of a game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would do repros for games I'm really fond of and don't want to just have on a flash cart with everything else. No reason you can't have it both ways with this.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah the only repro I would consider getting is starfox 2, but even then it's difficult to justify because it's not that great of a game.

Same here, it's really only SuperFX and SA-1 games I'd consider buying a repro for.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I have an unwarranted hatred of repros because the local P&T keeps trying to push them on me despite the fact that I am not one bit interested in paying forty dollars for a Play Action Football that's had its innards swapped out. If that was the route I was going I'd just buy a flash card and never stop by your store again, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Technical issues aside, Starfox 2 is really cool and I wish they'd give it an official port/re-release instead of reinterpreting it as crappier games.

• Locked thread