Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
10 team, round robin conferences that make geographic sense is my futile dream. :smith:

FSU
UF
Miami
Alabama
Auburn
GT
Georgia
Clemson
South Carolina
LSU

12 game seasons, schedule whoever, so non-conference rivalries are protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

whiteyfats posted:

10 team, round robin conferences that make geographic sense is my futile dream. :smith:

FSU
UF
Miami
Alabama
Auburn
GT
Georgia
Clemson
South Carolina
LSU

12 game seasons, schedule whoever, so non-conference rivalries are protected.

How does this look?

edit: perusing this, the 1991 Aggies had basically the textbook R.C. Slocum season- lost a non-conference game to Tulsa, went undefeated in conference and climbed in to the top ten, then lost 10-2 in their bowl game.

(I would take this season in a heartbeat by the way)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 17, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

General Dog posted:

I dunno, in a vacuum it's not like inviting Rice (who was in a power conference barely 20 years ago) would be any weirder than inviting Tulane.

The only reasons it makes slightly less sense is the Big 12 already has a hold on the Houston market place and Houston is an option if they want to go there. If I'm Rice's AD, I would also be calling the American to fill one of their incoming spots.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

How does this look?

edit: perusing this, the 1991 Aggies had basically the textbook R.C. Slocum season- lost a non-conference game to Tulsa, went undefeated in conference and climbed in to the top ten, then lost 10-2 in their bowl game.

(I would take this season in a heartbeat by the way)

I could accept that, FSU being independent was pretty cool back when I was little. Bobby would play anybody, pretty much. Or bring back the old Metro Conference.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

So if the Big 12 is boring and takes Cincy/Houston. Let's assume the American takes Rice/Southern Miss. Who gets added to CUSA?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Probably Texas State, Georgia Southern, or Appalachian State.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Spacebump posted:

So if the Big 12 is boring and takes Cincy/Houston. Let's assume the American takes Rice/Southern Miss. Who gets added to CUSA?

I think Cincy/BYU is more likely than Cincy/Houston. Though I guess that makes the domino effect less interesting. I think AA will skip over Southern Miss again and go with some other school. As to CUSA? Some school with no real history but a big, expanding state and money flowing into athletics. So yeah, Georgia State or the like.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly the Sun Belt looks better than CUSA right now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
CUSA probably still has better programs on top but Sun Belt is better balanced and gaining on them. CUSA responded to getting poached by adding a bunch of new or awful programs like Charlotte for the sake of getting big TV markets while the Sun Belt added actual football programs like App State and Georgia Southern

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

According to some newspaper guy up in New England, UConn's quietly ending lobbying the Big 12 and drawing plans to move their basketball and other non-revenue sports to the Big East while trying to park football in a G5 FBS conference. Conference USA would be the most likely target given what the MAC did to UMass.

Monetarily it's the move they should have made five years ago.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Korranus posted:

According to some newspaper guy up in New England, UConn's quietly ending lobbying the Big 12 and drawing plans to move their basketball and other non-revenue sports to the Big East while trying to park football in a G5 FBS conference. Conference USA would be the most likely target given what the MAC did to UMass.

Monetarily it's the move they should have made five years ago.

Why not just stay in the AAC?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

Why not just stay in the AAC?

UConn has been concerned since the old Big East broke up about being able to keep recruiting good enough to compete for titles on the men's side given the teams they associate with, and eventually that could be a problem on the women's side as well once Auriemma retires.

It's less of a problem now since the general level of play in the American has improved every year. But, I guess UConn sees the writing on the wall re: Big 12 expansion and has them spooked again. In the new Big East at least they'd be guaranteed a few big name games a year.

But on the other hand -
1.) The state of Connecticut has a lot of money tied up in UConn football they won't want just written off, and...
2.) The teams most likely to be left behind are the ones doing most of the getting better - for starters, SMU and Tulsa, plus Memphis and Temple will likely still be there.

Also, the new Big East actually pays better than the American thanks to Fox kind of overpaying.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 19, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I still refuse to give in to the hope or thought that UH will be added

Let it be a pleasant surprise if it happens instead

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Korranus posted:

But on the other hand -
1.) The state of Connecticut has a lot of money tied up in UConn football they won't want just written off, and...
2.) The teams most likely to be left behind are the ones doing most of the getting better - for starters, SMU and Tulsa, plus Memphis and Temple will likely still be there.

Also, the new Big East actually pays better than the American thanks to Fox kind of overpaying.

Yeah my main thinking was that the AAC really isn't bad in basketball. A step behind the Big East maybe, but certainly not bad enough that it should drag UConn's programs down. And they're certainly not going to find a better conference for the football team any time soon.

If they value football in the least, being able to get basketball back into the Big East would yield a pretty small return for banishing football to the MAC.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 19, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The MAC doesn't allow football-only programs anymore, that's why UMass is an independent this year. If UConn is going somewhere, it's probably CUSA.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think I can accept Memphis as a possible 4th vacation destination for the Big 12. So UCF, Memphis, SDSU and Tulane are the ideal additions.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

I think I can accept Memphis as a possible 4th vacation destination for the Big 12. So UCF, Memphis, SDSU and Tulane are the ideal additions.

I would definitely take Colorado State over Memphis as a vacation spot. Hell, are we sure Colorado doesn't want back in?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

I would definitely take Colorado State over Memphis as a vacation spot. Hell, are we sure Colorado doesn't want back in?

Lol at anyone wanting to leave the Pac 12 for the Big 12. If Tulane doesn't get in, Texas should join the Pac 12 already so Tulane can take their spot.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Well I mean Colorado occasionally won a game in the Big 12 so that's something

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Colorado was a legit national power (of frauds who needed a fifth down for their championship, but still) in the Big 8. They should join me in my crusade to get back to that point.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Colorado was Kansas's last conference win for two years, so... eh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, what the hell happened to Colorado? Did Gary Barnett burn down their facilities on his way out?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They made a really bad coaching hire and aren't in a great recruiting area.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Considering what they did to Kate Hnida may they lose all their games for a thousand years and more.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MourningView posted:

They made a really bad coaching hire and aren't in a great recruiting area.

They play in Los Angeles every year, they SHOULD be able to recruit there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CaptainYesterday posted:

They play in Los Angeles every year, they SHOULD be able to recruit there.

Agreed, just look at how Iowa State and Kansas are racking up 4 and 5 star recruits from Texas.

Colorado can try to recruit LA but they're directly competing with literally the entire Pac-12 to do so, including two significantly better programs that are actually in the city. And they're farther away from LA than just about everyone else in the conference.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, what the hell happened to Colorado? Did Gary Barnett burn down their facilities on his way out?

Dan and Cody Hawkins were real bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also while they should be better than they are, it's not like they were some traditional power. They had a nice run in the 90s and early 00s but the period where they were contending for/winning national titles was an outlier historically too. If you're a nontraditional power that isn't in a fertile recruiting area one really bad hire can do a lot of damage.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Which is why Snyder and Ferentz need to fade in to the sunset any day now.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really miss the days of 2010 when everyone furiously reported on Chip Brown / ORANGEBLOODS DOT COM's original reporting from ... DeLoss Dodds?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Which is why Snyder and Ferentz need to fade in to the sunset any day now.

We're just gonna replace him with another Ferentz, sorry.

Iowa got really lucky in that not only did they make two great hires in a row, but both of those hires stayed with the team for multiple decades. Ferentz is tied for the longest tenured coach currently working (depending on how you want to treat Snyder taking a break for a few years), and before him they had almost 20 years of Hayden Fry. They've only had two coaches since my dad was in college.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 20, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That always works out well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

That always works out well.

He is also a former Bill Belichick assistant! Can't miss, obvs.

I'm still on Team Bert, but it's almost definitely gonna be Brian at this point so I guess just hope for the best. A couple of the Bowden kids were okay coaches!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Blaudschun's sources are all old and mainly on the Big East side of things, I don't think that report is very credible.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
This is being passed around the tweeters:

https://twitter.com/michaelhmay1/status/770652014871060480/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'd be down with Colorado State

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Texas vetoing Houston after publicly endorsing them almost makes this believable.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 30, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Looks like bullshit, to me.

Among other things, why would Tech be so gung-ho about inviting Houston?

Also
code:
Iowa State
8) SMU
7) Houston
:pwn:

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 30, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU