Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Who What Now posted:

You just agreed that wages are in no way influenced by the value of a worker's labor. Now you're saying this again. Which is it?

Remember when I said if your wages exceed your marginal utility you get fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Because they likely provide the least marginal value per hour worked

If I fire my $15,000/yr janitor and hire a doctor to mop floors for $150,000/yr then the doctor will mop 10x as fast because look at his wage he's so productive

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do you know what marginal utility is?

Do you know how marginal utility is different from utility?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

You don't get it. You're assuming that someone making minimum wage is an indication of the value of their labor, but you admitted that wages aren't an indication of someone's value. So you're basing this on absolutely nothing.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Jack of Hearts posted:

Does that follow? It's not inconceivable that the purchase/upkeep on the robots would cost them e.g. $12/hour on average compared to $10/hour for humans.

there's basically no conceivable scenario in which this is true. brand new automation is insanely expensive even if all the requisite software is ready to deploy. there's lot of technically trained people needed to install, update, and maintain that sort of thing. you still need people to run things because there will inevitably be problems, etc etc.

also think about check out counters: those are already automated to some degree and yet every store i've ever been in still has both people running single queues as well as people running the automated ones too. fifteen an hour is not going to magically make all of the problems with automation magically become less burdensome. we're far away from robot coordinated burgers

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

If I fire my $15,000/yr janitor and hire a doctor to mop floors for $150,000/yr then the doctor will mop 10x as fast because look at his wage he's so productive

Well the opportunity cost would make that a bad move there for the doctor. But you needn't make such a drastic example. Consider a 20k/yr janitor that is highly motivated and a self starter versus a 15k/yr which requires much more management because her or she is not very motivated. If the floor is 20k them the 15k/yr janitor will likely not find a job.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well the opportunity cost would make that a bad move there for the doctor. But you needn't make such a drastic example. Consider a 20k/yr janitor that is highly motivated and a self starter versus a 15k/yr which requires much more management because her or she is not very motivated. If the floor is 20k them the 15k/yr janitor will likely not find a job.

Is wage an accurate indication of how good a worker is or isn't it? Make up your drat mind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I've walked around in Denmark and hamburger places still make hamburgers and restaurants still have clean floors so it appears the value of that labor is more than the $21/hr fast food workers are paid there.

Probably because the profitability of a dirty store selling raw hamburger meat to customers who have to scoop it out of a bin themselves would be pretty low but I am not a restaurateur.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

:allears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Apparently all you need to list on a resume is your previous salary to show what a great worker you are. Unless you didn't make that much previously, in which case gently caress off, slacker.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Is wage an accurate indication of how good a worker is or isn't it? Make up your drat mind.

Different wages allow you to piece discriminate as workers are not identical widgets.

Just like how you would pay less for a used guitar over a new one generally, so can more experience, how much of a self starter, etc can affect the wage employers are willing to pay.

Supply and demand still provide the bulk of the reason behind the price since there are other similar, but not identical, alternatives available, so it is with workers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Apparently all you need to list on a resume is your previous salary to show what a great worker you are. Unless you didn't make that much previously, in which case gently caress off, slacker.

Look man. We're making assumptions here that the employee is accurately priced. I'm not going to go into a life story for each example to justify why each worker is earning what they are.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Different wages allow you to piece discriminate as workers are not identical widgets.

Just like how you would pay less for a used guitar over a new one generally, so can more experience, how much of a self starter, etc can affect the wage employers are willing to pay.

Supply and demand still provide the bulk of the reason behind the price since there are other similar, but not identical, alternatives available, so it is with workers.

I'm confused so the workers are the reason raising the minimum wage wouldn't work because why? It seems like lovely managers are the problem and you like blaming working people.

Moron

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Look man. We're making assumptions here that the employee is accurately priced. I'm not going to go into a life story for each example to justify why each worker is earning what they are.

Assumptions are bad

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

Look man. We're making assumptions here that the employee is accurately priced.

And you've agreed that this isn't the case, so why the hell are you making that assumption?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes he would. I would not decide to run a dirty store, because that would cost me way more in revenue than it costs me to pay someone to clean it. That's why I hired a janitor in the first place.

Nitrousoxide posted:

But you just said wages aren't equal to the monetary value that workers provide :psyduck:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I'm confused so the workers are the reason raising the minimum wage wouldn't work because why? It seems like lovely managers are the problem and you like blaming working people.

Moron

Huh?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yes he would. I would not decide to run a dirty store, because that would cost me way more in revenue than it costs me to pay someone to clean it. That's why I hired a janitor in the first place.

But you will hire the better janitor over the lovely one that's priced the same. I mean why is this so hard to grasp?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VitalSigns posted:

How do you quantify the value added by a janitor's labor anyway? I'm not saying its impossible, but it seems like it'd be a pretty complicated question.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Nitrousoxide posted:

But you will hire the better janitor over the lovely one that's priced the same. I mean why is this so hard to grasp?

YES AND THEY'RE BOTH PRICED THE SAME DESPITE ONES LABOR HAVING MORE VALUE THAN THE OTHER!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Everyone can't hire the better janitor. An increase in demand for his services will mean he can charge a higher wage. Wages aren't equal to the amount of money an employee brings in, they are set by supply and demand.

Quarkjets already provided you with a study that shows this ripple effect is real.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

But you just said wages aren't equal to the monetary value that workers provide :psyduck:

I didn't say it here either. I said they're accurately priced. Not that wage=utility. Just like you would want a intertube you buy on eBay to be accurately priced. When that is accurately priced it doesn't mean price=cost to produce. It means it makes sense for the qualities of the product and the supply and demand.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Nitrousoxide posted:

no, you are making that assumption because it lets you feel better about your dumb belief system. in the normal human world people are rarely, if ever, accurately 'priced'

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

How do you quantify the value added by a janitor's labor anyway? I'm not saying its impossible, but it seems like it'd be a pretty complicated question.

The market... The market finds a way

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

Because what you make is not an indication of your quality as a worker. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

paragon1 posted:

YES AND THEY'RE BOTH PRICED THE SAME DESPITE ONES LABOR HAVING MORE VALUE THAN THE OTHER!

Because of the price floor yes. That's the problem.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why is it a problem?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nitrousoxide posted:

Because they likely provide the least marginal value per hour worked

holy poo poo fuckin fight me you rear end in a top hat

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone can't hire the better janitor. An increase in demand for his services will mean he can charge a higher wage. Wages aren't equal to the amount of money an employee brings in, they are set by supply and demand.

Quarkjets already provided you with a study that shows this ripple effect is real.

Correct, an increase in the demand would increase the amount he can charge but it would so the same for the better janitor as well. The lovely janitor will never exceed the good janitor.

And you never literally employ every single janitor. There are always good janitors moving jobs that you can hire over the lovely ones.
5% unemployment is considered full employment for a reason.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, you think there shouldn't be a minimum wage

Lol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nitrousoxide posted:

this doesn't even make sense you stupid motherfucker

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just like how you would pay less for a used guitar over a new one generally, so can more experience, how much of a self starter, etc can affect the wage employers are willing to pay.]

no it fuckin doesn't you stupid motherfucker not for the people who would most benefit from a minimum wage increase, you stupid son of a bitch, i fuckin hate you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
THIS GUY

HE'S A REAL GO GETTER

IM GONNA GIVE HIM TWELVE AN HOUR TO MOP THE FLOOR INSTEAD OF TEN, BECAUSE THAT'S HOW MINIMUM WAGE poo poo WORK loving WORKS

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
when was the last time you had to support yourself on a minimum wage job you cocksucker

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Anybody with functioning limbs can mop a floor. The supply for janitors far outstrips the demand so no an exceptionally good janitor isn't going to get paid better. Somebody who slacks off too hard is going to get fired and replaced by somebody else because, once again, the supply is greater than the demand.

A janitor that demands a higher wage because he's good at his job is going to get replaced by somebody lazier and cheaper simply because it's more cost-effective. Incidentally this is why people working multiple part time jobs is so rampant among the poor; they don't get offered much else because the companies doing the hiring know that they just plain don't have to offer more.

This is the fundamental problem with your arguments; people like doctors and programmers make good money by default simply because the demand is greater than the supply.

I saw crap like this happen all the time when I worked unskilled, labory jobs. Promotions were few and far between and there was just plain no incentive to work hard as you'd get paid the same either way. Yeah you could bust your hump and do twice the work as everybody else but that might get you $1/hour at best. It also might get your hours cut as you can do more in less time so hop to it, pleb; you got that done in 6 hours yesterday why is it taking you 9 today? I should fire your dumb rear end. You're lucky to have a job at all. You can be replaced, you know.

Generally speaking working harder just plain doesn't lead to higher wages.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 19, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i want to tear off your head and poo poo into the empty space where your brain would go

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Oh, you think there shouldn't be a minimum wage

Lol

I actually have not said that. I've said you need to consider the costs and benefits of the raise in the floor.

I'm trying to make the case that there are costs to raising the minimum wage and everyone is fighting me tooth and nail. We haven't even gotten to whether the upsides overcome them and make it still worthwhile.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nitrousoxide posted:

I actually have not said that. I've said you need to consider the costs and benefits of the raise in the floor.

I'm trying to make the case that there are costs to raising the minimum wage and everyone is fighting me tooth and nail. We haven't even gotten to whether the upsides overcome them and make it still worthwhile.

yeah you're right we should just have people toiling away so that they can live in poverty, you stupid fuckin rear end in a top hat

your "actually a BGII" bullshit isn't fooling anyone, because there is no loving way a BGI will exist in america within any of our lifetimes. its basically the equivalent of going well if we all had a fuckin jetpack and a unicorn

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

when was the last time you had to support yourself on a minimum wage job you cocksucker

About three years ago delivering pizzas.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

Correct, an increase in the demand would increase the amount he can charge but it would so the same for the better janitor as well. The lovely janitor will never exceed the good janitor.

Wages are not tied to how good an employee you are. You have been told this, you agreed to this, and yet you keep saying really dumb poo poo like this. I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay, let's do downsides:

The poors aren't punished as much for being poor
I can't fly my private jet as often