Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Vision #10

Previously in The Vision, The Avengers sent a spy to infiltrate Vision's troubling suburban life with his invented family, and Vision's son, Vin, got destroyed discovering this.

The Avengers killed The Vision's son??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

The Avengers killed The Vision's son??

No, Victor Mancha accidentally did it while spying on them for the Avengers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You should read it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I've never liked the Vision as a character despite being a huge Marvel fan. It's been almost a year, and I still haven't come to grips with the Vision being the best Marvel (possibly best super hero) book. And that's not knocking Marvel's current output, because most of their books are quite good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've always been a relatively big Vision fan. He was so interestingly weird in the Avengers back issues I read as a child. A robot man who goes through walls? And he's dating a human? Whaaaat?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And his robot sperm went and made babies? Ew

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SynthOrange posted:

And his robot sperm went and made babies? Ew

And those babies later become someones hands

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Well, someone's hands became demons who then became robot babies who then went back to being demon hands, logically.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Die Laughing posted:

I've never liked the Vision as a character despite being a huge Marvel fan. It's been almost a year, and I still haven't come to grips with the Vision being the best Marvel (possibly best super hero) book. And that's not knocking Marvel's current output, because most of their books are quite good.

This was me. Come to grips, son, it's a drat fine book and it's almost over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But

The poo poo is just getting started.

:ohdear:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A touching Warhammer 40,000 comic? :psyduck: Who would have thought. No idea the source, or if it's just a fan webomic thing.

Spoiler because apparently some people don't twig to it:
The one talking is the Machine Spirit of the Bolt Pistol being left behind.
:nms: and :nws: for gore and such but I shouldn't need to tell you that, it's WH40K.

Wait, I thought the whole machine spirit things was a bunch of bullshit the machine priest made up because they don't actually understand technology.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

bobkatt013 posted:

I think that storyline was one of the things that made me stop reading comics avidly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

e X posted:

Wait, I thought the whole machine spirit things was a bunch of bullshit the machine priest made up because they don't actually understand technology.

It's kind of a combination of things; the Mechanicus say that every piece of machinery has a 'spirit' that has to be respected and appeased, which is how they teach people to use and maintain technology without understanding it - they give people 'rituals' to perform, which are essentially operating and maintenance instructions so people can do things like calibrate their monitor and clean their rifles. But it is also used to refer to any automated systems and the rare machine intelligence that still exists in the Imperium. The pinnacle of that is something like the Machine Spirit that exists in Land Raiders and is more or less a low-level AI capable of operating the vehicle on its own and making tactical decisions - it comes very close to breaking the bar on AI technology, but they obfuscate that by calling it a spirit. Lots of other technology has lower order systems that help it operate and assist in control; its possible that includes complicated weapons that may have systems similar to a modern car or a Judge's Peacemaker.

How much the Mechanicus actually understands is sort of in flux depending on the story. It varies from them mostly being as dumb as everyone else, to them being actually highly informed and educated about the operation of most machinery and using the religious aspect as a way to limit its release and tightly control it (ie, that a Mechanicus knows that machine spirits are BS, but prefer imperial citizens to think that way rather than give them any understanding of how things actually function).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I always chose to interpret it as individual tech priests having varying levels of faith and intelligence. Some are true believers and follow all the laws as holy scripture, even if they don't understand the reasoning behind them. Others realize it's all a bunch of stupid hoojoo, but recognize why it's done and how effective the lie actually is.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

e X posted:

The Warhammer setting has its roots firmly planted in black comedy, tech priests not knowing poo poo about technology is part of the joke. Unfortunately people decided that not only was the imperium entirely serious, it was also "badass." So now the setting is a bunch of tortured and contradictory explanations for lore that was jokey window dressing to a tabletop game. So does a bolt pistol have a rudimentary thinking, feeling AI in it? Who knows. Do the tech priests actually know how to do anything? Who knows. The whole setting is an ossified and badly written mess, so the only certainty is that you probably shouldn't care either way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ashcans posted:

It's kind of a combination of things; the Mechanicus say that every piece of machinery has a 'spirit' that has to be respected and appeased, which is how they teach people to use and maintain technology without understanding it - they give people 'rituals' to perform, which are essentially operating and maintenance instructions so people can do things like calibrate their monitor and clean their rifles. But it is also used to refer to any automated systems and the rare machine intelligence that still exists in the Imperium. The pinnacle of that is something like the Machine Spirit that exists in Land Raiders and is more or less a low-level AI capable of operating the vehicle on its own and making tactical decisions - it comes very close to breaking the bar on AI technology, but they obfuscate that by calling it a spirit. Lots of other technology has lower order systems that help it operate and assist in control; its possible that includes complicated weapons that may have systems similar to a modern car or a Judge's Peacemaker.

How much the Mechanicus actually understands is sort of in flux depending on the story. It varies from them mostly being as dumb as everyone else, to them being actually highly informed and educated about the operation of most machinery and using the religious aspect as a way to limit its release and tightly control it (ie, that a Mechanicus knows that machine spirits are BS, but prefer imperial citizens to think that way rather than give them any understanding of how things actually function).

Also worth noting that Chaos can possess machines and objects just as readily as they can living things, which is another reason for the Mechanicus' rites and rituals, they can help prevent that sort of thing happening as 40k does operate on belief effects reality rules

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

akulanization posted:

The Warhammer setting has its roots firmly planted in black comedy, tech priests not knowing poo poo about technology is part of the joke. Unfortunately people decided that not only was the imperium entirely serious, it was also "badass." So now the setting is a bunch of tortured and contradictory explanations for lore that was jokey window dressing to a tabletop game. So does a bolt pistol have a rudimentary thinking, feeling AI in it? Who knows. Do the tech priests actually know how to do anything? Who knows. The whole setting is an ossified and badly written mess, so the only certainty is that you probably shouldn't care either way.

I think the most horrible thing about that transformation is taking the human empire from a Verhoven-style satire of British and American Imperialism to a Totally Morally Justified Group. They're horrible fascist space racists but you see the lore gives them a good reason to be! All their horrendously evil actions are justified by demons and orcs being a certain way. Fascism has its faults, but really it's utilitarian if you think about it, and it's even admirable when your enemies are subhuman. You want to see my space marine tat? Whoops wrong arm, that's my SS tat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it's mostly that the Imperium is terrible, but all the other races are worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's still basically turning them into "the good guys". They even turned the emperor being a dead zombie from a joke about worshiping false authority to some bullshit about his MIGHTY CONSCIOUSNESS single-handedly keeping chaos at bay while his body slumbers.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's also a setting where basically if enough people believe a thing is true, it becomes true :v: So if enough humans believe what the Mechanicus say about Machine Spirits.

This is the entire reason why painting Ork things red makes them Go Fasta, and why Ork technology works at all.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 17, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
WH40K orks are basically what would happen if you built a fantasy race around the "I AM THE MOON / HE IS THE MOON" story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WH40K feels like it ran into the problem of being a joke that an uncomfortably large section of the fanbase started taking REALLY SERIOUSLY.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ImpAtom posted:

WH40K feels like it ran into the problem of being a joke that an uncomfortably large section of the fanbase started taking REALLY SERIOUSLY.

40k is Donald Trump?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The Lobo effect.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

I think it's mostly that the Imperium is terrible, but all the other races are worse.

The Tau are strictly better, but this is a really long derail about a horrible company's dumb setting so here's some panels from Secret Invasion Aftermath: Beta Ray Bill: Garden of Eden

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

That's still basically turning them into "the good guys". They even turned the emperor being a dead zombie from a joke about worshiping false authority to some bullshit about his MIGHTY CONSCIOUSNESS single-handedly keeping chaos at bay while his body slumbers.

The Imperium is an objectively awful place for trillions of humans, to the point that Khornite beserkers laying waste to a planet would be a blessed end to it's people's suffering. There are "good" planets that aren't horribly lovely, but even they could get blown the gently caress up if an inquisitor doesn't like the way you sneeze. Even in their most sympathetic, the policies of the Imperium aren't often justified. They just happen to be the protagonists. Even the Emperor in his most earnest is a total dick who brought the heresy on himself, and the writers of the books sarcastically call themselves the Lords of Terra because the Lords of Terra is the most incompetent bickering ruling body in human history.

The good the Imperium does usually happens in spite of how poo poo it is, not as a result of. That's what makes it so heartwarming(hey, I tied it back into the topic) when nice things happen. Every happy ending is a defiant rage on the part of the characters against the awfulness of their surroundings.

Four Score posted:

The Tau are strictly better, but this is a really long derail about a horrible company's dumb setting so here's some panels from Secret Invasion Aftermath: Beta Ray Bill: Garden of Eden

This reminds me of Percy Jackson asking if capital G god existed and the reply being "maybe who knows let's never dwell on that subject again".

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 17, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

There's a quote attributed to Mark Twain on this (heavily paraphrased):

"Never start a community where everyone pretends to be an idiot. It will soon be co-opted by actual idiots who think they have found good company."

/obligatory "that explains SomethingAwful/4chan/reddit/tumblr/FYAD/Deadpool/Donald Trump/Candied Yams I don't loving know" joke

Four Score posted:

here's some panels from Secret Invasion Aftermath: Beta Ray Bill: Garden of Eden

Angel did it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gXaMnkmGq0

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
E: Actually, maybe not :v: not very touching, or inspiring. More depressing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WickedHate posted:

This reminds me of Percy Jackson asking if capital G god existed and the reply being "maybe who knows let's never dwell on that subject again".
I like how Rick grew some balls for his Norse spinoff and had Thor talk about how he is still waiting for Jesus to accept his challenge

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Buffy had a good beat on that as well deep into its final season where a newly minted vampire was talking with Buffy and asked "so is there a God I mean what's the word on that?" and Buffy replies "nothing solid." It was cute after seven seasons of magical and pseudo religious stories that all ducked the issue of God while implying some form of higher power.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It also had a bit where she died and they brought her back to life and she had severe PTSD and all her retarded friends thought she must have been in some insane hell dimension or something, but no it's just that they took her out of heaven where everything was perfect and she felt loved and at peace and put her back in this lovely world. Like nobody even considered that a generally decent person that gave her life helping others would end up there, or maybe they just thought the world was so poo poo that there wasn't a heaven to begin with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They assumed she went to one of the hell dimensions Glory opened in the S5 finale which was that unreasonable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus they spent the past half decade dealing almost exclusively with creatures of hell I'd be biased as gently caress too.

I always forget about the heaven twist. That's the kind of writing that justifies Whedon and Whedon's crew's faults to me, of which there are so very very many. I really can't imagine many other shows taking that direction.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Boogaleeboo posted:

It also had a bit where she died and they brought her back to life and she had severe PTSD and all her retarded friends thought she must have been in some insane hell dimension or something, but no it's just that they took her out of heaven where everything was perfect and she felt loved and at peace and put her back in this lovely world. Like nobody even considered that a generally decent person that gave her life helping others would end up there, or maybe they just thought the world was so poo poo that there wasn't a heaven to begin with.

Honestly that's why I'm not very fond of most Urban Fantasy settings set in Modern times, they tend to go too bleak for my tastes, I consume fiction to get away from an already incredibly crappy world, why the hell would I want to watch or read about one that's even worse(interactive fiction is an exception as normally I can have a a positive effect on things)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Because unless the author is a poo poo the story ends on a more upbeat note. Even Angel did, after a fashion.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So anyway. This got posted on Imgur earlier, and imma crosspost it here because it's real good

Source is JLA 1997-2006 #102

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

5000 counts of illegal tresspassing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Thanks a lot, Flash, now a year later when that battery dies I'm going to go insane trying to find out where the beeping is coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"And how will you be paying for all these alarms sir?"
WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH