Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If seeing Rukias bare buttcheeks floating in zero division's spa didn't make you an instant Ichikia shipper then smdh lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I thought Kubo was going Ichigo/Rukia until this last arc where he pinned Orihime to Ichigo and had Rukia talk to Ichigo like once.

Looking forward to seeing the reaction in Japan on monday since Ichigo/Rukia is hugely more popular than Ichigo/Orihime there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's actually something I always wondered.

Was Naruto x Hinata more popular in Japan and Naruto x Sakura more popular in the West?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

The funny thing about people getting shipmad is that Orihime crushing on Ichigo was a thing literally from the start, Renji and Rukia's thing was pretty clear early on, and Ichigo and Rukia never really had any non-comedic chemistry. I mean not that any of those things has ever stopped shippers before, but there was basically no teasing of anything else except maybe an Ichigo/Tatsuki/Orihime love triangle which died at the beginning of SS.

I mean Ichigo and Rukia's relationship was a pretty important and strong part of the series for a while. Sure, it was pretty clearly shown to be a friendship but fans can ignore that pretty easily.

slev posted:

I thought Kubo was going Ichigo/Rukia until this last arc where he pinned Orihime to Ichigo and had Rukia talk to Ichigo like once.

Looking forward to seeing the reaction in Japan on monday since Ichigo/Rukia is hugely more popular than Ichigo/Orihime there.

Isn't that the same case over here as well?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Woah as much as I also disliked Bleach's ending I don’t think youshould insult Kubo as a human being or rip apart your merchandize, just sell it or something.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
To be fair, like Sakura, Orihime is extremely underutilized to the point where no one can really say they like her. And in both cases, there was no need to waste a character with cool abilities like that. I keep longing for characters like Mira and Pandora from The God of High School, but oh well.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Isn't that the same case over here as well?

Yeah but I don't think the gap in popularity is anywhere near as big.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Voted Worst Mom posted:

To be fair, like Sakura, Orihime is extremely underutilized to the point where no one can really say they like her. And in both cases, there was no need to waste a character with cool abilities like that. I keep longing for characters like Mira and Pandora from The God of High School, but oh well.

I like Orihime for who she used to be.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

No joke, when I was first reading Bleach in high school I actually thought Kubo was going to go for the Orihime/Tatsuki ending. High school me was so optimistic about Orihime's future :(

also Where Are They Now: Orihime and Tatsuki's creepy "sexual harrassment/assault is funny if it's perpetrated by a girl" classmate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
early orihime was fun and she deserved to be in a better manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most of the characters in early Bleach are cool and good. The human group is still probably my favourite core cast the series ever had. And I still legitimately like most of them even though they'd lost any semblance of personality by the end. Then again, the same could be said for just about every bleach character.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Maybe it should have just ended as a harem comedy where all the Bleach girls are living with Ichigo and fighting over him~

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Most of the characters in early Bleach are cool and good. The human group is still probably my favourite core cast the series ever had. And I still legitimately like most of them even though they'd lost any semblance of personality by the end. Then again, the same could be said for just about every bleach character.

Even Chad?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I'd say that's not the case for Sakura, in the manga she gets a scene where she tries to convince Naruto she likes him so they can both just give up Sasuke, it's a whatever scene but boy oh boy did internet ubernerds get pissed off at her lying like that and staining her purity or whatever, then the anime appears to just make her more of a jerk, with one of the bigger movies essentially starting by Sakura going to Naruto's face and whining about how much it sucks to have living, loving parents taking care of you and being proud of everything you do. There's enough wood there for nerds to hate on Sakura (and admittedly I enjoyed the Salad Gaiden when it appeared that Sakura was not the mother)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kenpachi jobbed but I still love the fucker because he's motherfucking Kenpachi.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
The last chapter wasn't even that bad (read as a standalone and ignoring the Shinigami/Ywatch stuff). Bleach would've made an okay slice of life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was a terrible scene completely aside from sakura's purity or whatever. not even noted idiot naruto uzumaki fell for her stupid act, and shortly afterward she tried and failed to do a murder/suicide with a guy who was largely indifferent to her existence.

then at the end they got married and he became even more indifferent to her existence, ha ha.

sakura becoming worthless was entirely down to kishimoto's flaws as a writer, but after he dug that hole he kept her character consistent.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/BleachThousandYearWar

All those poor souls looking for answers :lol:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they go to tvtropes looking for answers they will never understand much of anything for as long as they live

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

that was a terrible scene completely aside from sakura's purity or whatever. not even noted idiot naruto uzumaki fell for her stupid act, and shortly afterward she tried and failed to do a murder/suicide with a guy who was largely indifferent to her existence.

then at the end they got married and he became even more indifferent to her existence, ha ha.

sakura becoming worthless was entirely down to kishimoto's flaws as a writer, but after he dug that hole he kept her character consistent.

The female characters in Naruto deserved a better writer. At least Salad is kind of cool.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so is aizen soul king now?

whats going to happen with that

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

when it appeared that Sakura was not the mother

What? How? Whether or not you are someone's biological mother seems like the kind of thing you'd have a pretty good idea of.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yep. Chad is good and i like him. I admit it.

Stairmaster posted:

so is aizen soul king now?

whats going to happen with that

Nothing, Bleach is over.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

remember when we spent like 3 chapters on ichigo's friends getting tickets to soul society cus shunsui said he prob can't come back lol

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

chumbler posted:

What? How? Whether or not you are someone's biological mother seems like the kind of thing you'd have a pretty good idea of.

The DNA tests said she wasn't, but the young man that can turn into water and assists orochimaru was not a licensed doctor.

Also up 'till then Sakura insisted she was but Salad had doubts, since their conversation went "...is dad my dad?" "yes, why would you ask?" "he's never around you don't have photos together neither of you need glasses like i do" "yeah, well" "...did you guys even get married" and then Sakura literally destroys their home, which they still owed quite a lot for.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

chumbler posted:

You should read Salad Gaiden. The story about a daughter finding her real mom. (It's basically Maury if Orochimaru was Maury.)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Did Uryu even go on to kill anyone with a name after that?

Does poor Uryu not have a single kill?

I mean, I know Chad doesn't, but Chad's a plank of wood with a face drawn on it anyway so it fits. Uryu is at least theoretically interesting.

If you feel bad about Uryuu...

Soi Fon. 2nd Division Captain.

Confirmed kills: that sabertooth tiger Arrancar.

Other feats: Her lieutenant (the fat guy) basically activated her Bankai for her while she was semi unconscious and aimed it at the enemy (a robot) and won the fight for her. The robot didn't die of this, mind you.

Soi Fon contributed absolutely nothing to the story, she didn't get a happy ending with Yoruichi (in fact, Yoruichi died) nor with Yoruichi's last minute introduced brother (also dead, RIP both).

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 19, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chumbler posted:

salad met a man with a lab and an umbilical cord. for no particular reason, it turned out that karin kept sakura's umbilical cord, but since that is dumb as hell everyone there just kind of assumed it was from karin giving birth.

regardless of genetics, salad was raised by a headcase and abandoned by a narcissist and she still turned out way better than bort.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The DNA tests said she wasn't, but the young man that can turn into water and assists orochimaru was not a licensed doctor.

Basically, dude used the wrong sample for the test. Best part: Salad still doesn't know.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Covok posted:

Basically, dude used the wrong sample for the test. Best part: Salad still doesn't know.

that's incorrect. he used the right sample but was wrong about its source. it was sakura's umbilical cord and the test said that it was a match to salad.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I think what weirds me out is that Ichigo with Orihime and Renji with Rukia is the more thought out path that makes more sense if you fleshed it out a bit. But considering we got a rushed as gently caress ending I'm surprised he didn't just slam down the Ichiruki to please people before it died. Would've been a smarter play I think considering nothing else could really be a satisfying rushed ending.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

If you feel bad about Uryuu...

Soi Fon. 2nd Division Captain.

Confirmed kills: that sabertooth tiger Arrancar.

Other feats: Her lieutenant (the fat guy) basically activated her Bankai for her while she was semi unconscious and aimed it at the enemy (a robot). The robot didn't die of this.

Soi Fon contributed absolutely nothing to the story, she didn't get a happy ending with Yoruichi (in fact, Yoruichi died) nor with Yoruichi's last minute introduced brother (also dead, RIP both).

On the other hand Soi Fon had the best fight in the entire series, and also I believe in Yoruichi and Broruichi not being dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Akumos posted:

I think what weirds me out is that Ichigo with Orihime and Renji with Rukia is the more thought out path that makes more sense if you fleshed it out a bit. But considering we got a rushed as gently caress ending I'm surprised he didn't just slam down the Ichiruki to please people before it died. Would've been a smarter play I think considering nothing else could really be a satisfying rushed ending.

there were no romantic developments for any pairing because kubo doesn't like to write romance for whatever reason.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Akumos posted:

I really doubt Kubo cared at this point. Jump probably doesn't care either and just wants Kubo to go away.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

nel isn't dead!!!!!!!!!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Akumos posted:

IIRC, dude apparently said in an interview that he didn't want ichiruki because he liked the idea of the male and female lead just being friends.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

chumbler posted:

Because there wasn't a single picture of her mom and her dad together in their entire house, but there was one of Sasuke and Karin. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Serious Frolicking posted:

that's incorrect. he used the right sample but was wrong about its source. it was sakura's umbilical cord and the test said that it was a match to salad.

I think you got it wrong. Suigetsu assumed that Karin had her own umbilical cord at her desk because that's a good luck charm in japan. Suigetsu found an umbilical cord and tested it with a sample from Salad, the result was a 100% perfect match and Suigetsu assumed that meant Karin was the mother (but DNA Tests are never 100% so that was suspicious already). Turns out that Karin delivered Salad and kept Salad's umbilical cord in her desk for no reason.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Because there wasn't a single picture of her mom and her dad together in their entire house, but there was one of Sasuke and Karin. :allears:

They also had similar glasses and looked similar. Sakura also freaked out and demolished her house that wasn't paid off when asked about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Face it.

Kubo decided to shoehorn Hiyori out of every one of his 500 characters into the last chapter, Hiyori, absolutely no one's favorite. Instead of Urahara, Nel, Grimmjow or Yoruichi.

Ergo, they are dead.

Canon.

You don't like it go break your Bleach stuff then post images.

• Locked thread