Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

minidracula posted:

I know this plugin was licensed, because I went through the horrible Waves downloader and licenser when I bought this (and I loaded it then and used it, etc.). Do I need to update something in order to keep it licensed? Because the Waves BS was already annoying before, and if I need to keep updating and policing it, well, I don't think it's probably worth what I paid for this plugin on discount.

Any ideas though, thread?
Waves switched over to a new license management system sometime last year. It's possible you haven't upgraded to the new system. (Also, even if you DO have their new software, if you downloaded it before April of this year, you need to update it anyway.) http://www.waves.com/downloads/central

Another thing: I use a spare USB stick to store all my Waves licenses under "Waves USB Key", but Waves does offer a soft licenser option where you store the licenses on your PC under "Main System" in the Waves Central app. This option is a little problematic in my opinion because changes in your hardware configuration can invalidate your license (new network adapter or graphics card, for example). You can sometimes recover the license if you restore your PC's previous configuration then drag the license to the cloud before switching your PC back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

NonzeroCircle posted:

Now if only they'd all collaborate so there was just the one dongle thing. And it was an optional free extra when you buy Komplete/an interface/usb noseflute that you can decline if you already have one.

Not the optimum solution (one dongle to rule them all would be the best, but... no thanks, iLok!), but wouldn't getting a usb extension JUST for dongles work best? That way, it doesn't require a ton of power, because I know that can get a bit tricky when adding USB ports. And you can save your original usb ports for other things.

Speaking of which, I'm actually running out of USB ports; what would be the best solution to add more? Is there an extender that is recommended over others? Like I said, I'd prefer that everything was plugged directly in to my mac, but that's not always the case. Devices include keyboard, mouse, webcam (though not absolutely necessary, nice for facetime, though), Keystation61e, and Korg Padkontrol.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh nice, the EFF are using my slapfight with Waves in a filing with the FTC.

quote:

Dan W bought Truverb, a music sound editing program, direct from Waves, its publisher. He found that conflicts with the program’s DRM, from ILok, made it impossible to install. Eventually he found an out-of-date version of the program that pre-dated the ILok integration and managed to install it, but “now of course I can’t upgrade when new patches come out.” Dan W tried to warn other purchasers about this situation by posting a review to Waves’ website, but the publisher deleted it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh nice, the EFF are using my slapfight with Waves in a filing with the FTC.

Woah, WTH?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

Woah, WTH?

They're pushing for new labelling practices on DRMed stuff. They've basically included a bunch of anecdotes about how it hurts consumers, and used mine in the mix.

https://www.eff.org/files/2016/08/05/eff_request_for_investigation_re_labeling_drm-limited_products.pdf

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thats awesome, gently caress ilok especially. I wont buy stuff with anything more than a one time drm check.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I'm looking for a solid vocal VST or VSTs for working with vocals, specifically for house music. Is there a standard out there (like Sylenth or Massive for synthesizers) that I should start with? I would like a tool that has good autotune and a way to space out and brighten vocals. Melodyne was one that was mentioned to me but wanted some other opinions since that one is expensive.

Edit: I use Ableton Live on PC

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 7, 2016

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

MrSargent posted:

I'm looking for a solid vocal VST or VSTs for working with vocals, specifically for house music. Is there a standard out there (like Sylenth or Massive for synthesizers) that I should start with? I would like a tool that has good autotune and a way to space out and brighten vocals. Melodyne was one that was mentioned to me but wanted some other opinions since that one is expensive.

Not a lot of tools come to mind that have both pitch correction AND the other stuff. iZotope Nectar does it all though, and I think it's compatible with Live.

Any vocal product you look at, you'll wanna double check it's completely compatible with Live for your OS. A number of pitch correction tools either only have limited Live support, or none at all (at least on Windows, due to Live's lack of VST3). For example, Waves Tune is only partially functional on Live, and Auto-tune 8 doesn't support Live at all on Windows.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dr. Gain is a new cheap amp sim plugin but it's only 32-bit and Windows only. STA-Delay and MultiCabinet are free plugins from a company called Audified (although they also say "Audiffex" so I dunno). STA-Delay usually costs $50, and IMO it's a really nice delay so that price isn't insane. Very, very cool for a freebie. Here's a quick clip using these three things.

I highly recommend checking out STA-Delay, that thing is niiiiice for no cash.

Edit: Link to the promotion itself, so you can actually get the thing for $0
https://ask.audio/articles/exclusive-free-summing-tube-processing-delay-plugin-from-audified

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 17, 2016

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

MrSargent posted:

There isn't really such a thing as a plug-in for specific genre, it's all about what you want to do and how you do it really. Imo, Melodyne is the best auto-tuner available but it's also because it can be incredibly subtle. Hell, I autotune choir groups without them knowing it afterwards.

However, as was named Izotope's Nectar is a pretty easy all in one solution for vocals (although you can still use it on other things). I only tried the first version years ago and I remember liking the saturation from Nectar quite a bit.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

abske_fides posted:

There isn't really such a thing as a plug-in for specific genre, it's all about what you want to do and how you do it really. Imo, Melodyne is the best auto-tuner available but it's also because it can be incredibly subtle. Hell, I autotune choir groups without them knowing it afterwards.

However, as was named Izotope's Nectar is a pretty easy all in one solution for vocals (although you can still use it on other things). I only tried the first version years ago and I remember liking the saturation from Nectar quite a bit.

I realize plugins aren't typically genre-specific, I just included the genre info in case it made a difference. Thanks for the suggestions on Melodyne and Nectar, going to check them both out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Getting all those Arturia synths worked out really well, I'm slowly falling in love with each vst. Most recently it's the Prophet and the way I can squeeze out all my favorite dorky Downward Spiral NIN bass tones and drum sounds. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LordPants posted:

Getting all those Arturia synths worked out really well, I'm slowly falling in love with each vst. Most recently it's the Prophet and the way I can squeeze out all my favorite dorky Downward Spiral NIN bass tones and drum sounds. :allears:

Oh man, I love the sound of a Prophet :allears:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
There's no free tape stop VSTs for Mac, right? Isotope Vinyl does it but doesn't let you adjust the stop speed.

I got the illformed Glitch 2 demo, but I find its timing system counter-intuitive; I just want something I can turn on and off.

I know you can create the effect manually by bouncing to audio and loving with it, but that's going to be a pain in the rear end and a last resort.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You can probably do it with ReaPitch on the Master

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember there's a pretty easy way to do it in Logic if you have that (no idea exactly how but it wasn't complicated, google that poo poo son)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

RandomCheese posted:

I remember there's a pretty easy way to do it in Logic if you have that (no idea exactly how but it wasn't complicated, google that poo poo son)

Warping audio with pitch as the factor, iirc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bought some stuff at Plugin Boutique that was on special, Xplander 2 because it was a dollar and who cares, and 88 a piano vst.

This requires setting up an iLok account.

And so far, iLok is living up to their reputation of being ~the worst~ I can't even activate my account. :golfclap:

edit: Crisis averted. I'll stop making GBS threads on iLok so quickly I guess.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 27, 2016

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Lush-101 on sale rn, more than half off: http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/4-Synth/413-LuSH-101

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a drum VST for quickly generating somewhat realistic sounding drum tracks to accompany guitar and bass recordings. I have some experience programming drum tracks, but I don't want to spend that kind of time on the drums when I'm just recording guitar jams or covers. Is EZDrummer 2 the answer? The "Tap 2 Find" and "Song Creator" features make it seem like it'd be a breeze to throw together an entire track, complete with fills. And the "Edit Play Style" feature makes it look easy to add variations and ghost notes. I know there are other options out there, like Addictive Drums, BFD3 and Superior Drummer 2, but unless I'm missing something, none of them seem like they have the aforementioned features for quickly putting complete tracks together. Anything other than EZDrummer worth consideration for my use case? I'd like whatever I end up with to be able to put together some quality funk and soul beats, if that changes anything (don't mind if this requires getting an expansion as well).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
BFD has a lot of really easy-to-use templates too, might be worth a look. Also Realitone just released some sort of drum thing for Kontakt which looks quite neat and I just generally like Realitone so I kinda want to buy it even though I don't need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rToF-fZZes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Terribly sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't be the only one to just recently learn that Max/MSP has a subscription option, can I?

I'm tempted to try it out, but at the same time, I have next to no idea what I really could do with it. Which begs the question as to why I'm interested in it in the first place :confused:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Terribly sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't be the only one to just recently learn that Max/MSP has a subscription option, can I?

I'm tempted to try it out, but at the same time, I have next to no idea what I really could do with it. Which begs the question as to why I'm interested in it in the first place :confused:

If you're curious about it, feel free to PM me about it, I've been digging into it lately.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Trig Discipline posted:

BFD has a lot of really easy-to-use templates too, might be worth a look. Also Realitone just released some sort of drum thing for Kontakt which looks quite neat and I just generally like Realitone so I kinda want to buy it even though I don't need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rToF-fZZes

Realidrums looks pretty cool, though it does look very rock focused without any genre expansions. Might try it for 30 days and see how it goes.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYbmxaBo-I

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

after seeing the thumbnail and the logo, i had to click though to make sure it wasn't a parody.

then i skipped ahead and saw the guy saying "yeah, it's like piano! it's like, UHH!"

anyway, spectrasonics seem to know what they're doing and i bet this will be great news for people into that kind of thing.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They used to have a demo and I'd suggest trying it before committing. It's a great program and you can roll your own version of almost anything without much time or difficulty - not just for synthesis or sound processing but also as a sequencer or composition tool. But it takes a certain mindset. There is a massive amount of community support but 99% of the issues on the forum are just resolved by searching through your rat's nest for the one thing that's misfiring because you're sending the wrong info to it, and your tolerance for this will dictate how you do with it. It's probably the best program for building something impressive out of nuts and bolts without having to do any programming proper, though, and highly recommended if you have the mindset for rapidly prototyping things to suit specific applications.

My best advice for it is to debug each component/module as you go - it sounds like a hassle but it will save you hair-pulling moments. Beyond that probably put a limiter on the output to your DAC. Something that's saved my speakers many times. And if you use controllers, make it a priority to learn how to put midi learn sections in - it's way more fun that way!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

They used to have a demo and I'd suggest trying it before committing. It's a great program and you can roll your own version of almost anything without much time or difficulty - not just for synthesis or sound processing but also as a sequencer or composition tool. But it takes a certain mindset. There is a massive amount of community support but 99% of the issues on the forum are just resolved by searching through your rat's nest for the one thing that's misfiring because you're sending the wrong info to it, and your tolerance for this will dictate how you do with it. It's probably the best program for building something impressive out of nuts and bolts without having to do any programming proper, though, and highly recommended if you have the mindset for rapidly prototyping things to suit specific applications.

My best advice for it is to debug each component/module as you go - it sounds like a hassle but it will save you hair-pulling moments. Beyond that probably put a limiter on the output to your DAC. Something that's saved my speakers many times. And if you use controllers, make it a priority to learn how to put midi learn sections in - it's way more fun that way!

All excellent advice. One thing to consider is that if you give Max a spin, find its a workflow you enjoy, but are uncertain about sinking money into it, PureData is an extremely similar option and is entirely free and open source (I think?).

In particular you (Rupert Buttermilk) might want to look at Pd as it can be fairly easily integrated into game engines for generative sound stuff at runtime. Look at FRACT OSC for more info, the whole game is heavily driven by Pd.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thank you both for your input, it will definitely help with my creative output in the future.

Definitely going to check out Puredata first :toot:

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
Maybe this is common knowledge but I just found out about the Native Access app for managing NI products. I've been using the crappy Service Center which is kinda painful to upgrade plugins.

Also, Kontact 5 just got a UI update.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I guess this is the right place for this question:

I've had a Nocturn Keyboard for ages, but only been using it in generic mode since i changed to Cubase 8.5. I have just updated automap to the latest version (4.10), followed the setup instructions, enabled my plugins, all that jazz. Perfectly copied all the screenshots.

The LEDs follow what i am doing on screen with the mouse, such as adjusting volume in mixer mode or a filter on Massive in instrument mode, and the transport buttons light accordingly.

My issue? The controls themselves do jack poo poo, the leds will follow an encoder when I turn it but it doesn't actually control the parameter and have an effect on audio- it seems like it receives messages but wont send them? Despite this, the keys work. I've tried every combo of settings i can think of and have followed the 'official' setup 3 times through.

I also tried calibrating the pitchwheel following the guide, it won't centre properly (in the digital realm- if a patch has +/-2 pb and i nudge it, when it physically centres it'll be at around -1.6 if that makes sense) but tbh i rarely use it so not super fussed on that.

Edit: turns out uf Cubase is being run as admin then automap needs to be too. Durrrr.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 15, 2016

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

dp

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

I guess this is the right place for this question:

I've had a Nocturn Keyboard for ages, but only been using it in generic mode since i changed to Cubase 8.5. I have just updated automap to the latest version (4.10), followed the setup instructions, enabled my plugins, all that jazz. Perfectly copied all the screenshots.

The LEDs follow what i am doing on screen with the mouse, such as adjusting volume in mixer mode or a filter on Massive in instrument mode, and the transport buttons light accordingly.

My issue? The controls themselves do jack poo poo, the leds will follow an encoder when I turn it but it doesn't actually control the parameter and have an effect on audio- it seems like it receives messages but wont send them? Despite this, the keys work. I've tried every combo of settings i can think of and have followed the 'official' setup 3 times through.

I also tried calibrating the pitchwheel following the guide, it won't centre properly (in the digital realm- if a patch has +/-2 pb and i nudge it, when it physically centres it'll be at around -1.6 if that makes sense) but tbh i rarely use it so not super fussed on that.

Edit: turns out uf Cubase is being run as admin then automap needs to be too. Durrrr.

I've got a Nocturn 49.

Is the firmware up to date? It means faffing about with sysex but it's easy.

https://support.novationmusic.com/h...pdate-firmware-

edit: have you let Automap scan your plugins and then enabled them?

I don't know how Cubase handles it specifically but if it's anything like Live once Automap has scanned your plugins folder you can pick and choose from a list which plugins you want to work with Automap. Then the next time you fire up your DAW you'll see two version of your plugins - one will have the suffix (Automap) and you need to use these on your tracks if you want to use Automap on them.

TLDR - Just run Automap's setup wizard for your particular DAW.

edit-edit - OK seems like you've gone through the setup process - just make sure you're using the suffixed (Automap) versions of your plugins.

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 16, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks Kilmers, i did get it sorted eventually. Had used it with Live for yonks with no issue, already had automap versions of most of my 3rd party stuff. Cubase just didn't want to play ball until i reset the preferences and ran automap as admin too (using jbridge for a couple plugins which demands run as admin).

Seemed like signals were coming out but not going in til i changed the permissions.
The pitchwheel thing seems to be hardware, did the sysex dump on Wednesday after i posted and it didn't help. Oh well.

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

I'm trying to find a guitar VST that I'm sure must exist somewhere but I can't find...

What I'm after is something that lets me select a WAV (or whatever audio) file which then is combined with my guitar signal. So the louder I play the louder the WAV is blended into the guitar. Does something like this exist?

I know there are samplers but they only seem to work for discrete notes (keyboard).

Anyone know of something that will do this...?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A pitch to midi plugin may do it with a bit of funky routing to get your guitar and the sampler playing at the same time.

Though I've had it a while I've been digging under the skin of Zeta+ 2 and holy poo poo is this thing powerful!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

wizkid posted:

I'm trying to find a guitar VST that I'm sure must exist somewhere but I can't find...

What I'm after is something that lets me select a WAV (or whatever audio) file which then is combined with my guitar signal. So the louder I play the louder the WAV is blended into the guitar. Does something like this exist?

I know there are samplers but they only seem to work for discrete notes (keyboard).

Anyone know of something that will do this...?
Most envelope followers are built into plugins so they modulate a parameter of the effect in the same plugin, applied to the same track. You want to apply the envelope of one track to another. What you need is an envelope follower that outputs automation.

I see this recommended in that context: http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_DPeakMeterPro/

Haven't used it myself.

You'll have to figure out how, in your DAW, to link the output of that plugin to a gain plugin or a mixer fader or something like that.

Alternatively, you might have luck with very basic vocoder or talkbox plugins, I'm not sure. They share the common principle of modulating one thing along a property derived from the other.

Edit vvvvvvvv didn't even consider that.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 28, 2016

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
For clarity's sake, wizkid, do you mean raising/lowering the volume of a continuous sound, or triggering one-shot samples with your guitar attacks? The first can be accomplished like Flipperwaldt mentions, or even hacked together with a sidechained compressor maybe. The second is a little more complicated...

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
MIDI guitar can probably do what you want, it's really good at mapping guitar audio to midi and can open other VST instruments, very low latency response so the samples will play in sync with the guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not that you would necessarily want to run off and buy it just for this, but Bitwig Studio has an Audio Mod device which is designed for this exact purpose. You just drop the mod device into a track with your wav file, pipe the input to it from your guitar track, and then pick which parameters of the audio you want the guitar to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59aLZE6IOGg

For extra credit, you can also use that modulator to drive the parameters of any effect or synth.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 28, 2016