Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/18/the-flash-has-cast-the-top/

Ashley Rickards just got cast as The Top.

Can't wait for the meltdown from all the idiot fanboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Scyantific posted:

How long until Cisco finds out she's a spinner?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess there won't be any Jay jokes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Scyantific posted:

I'm more irritated by this:

quote:

The Top is typically seen alongside Flash's other constant nemesis The Mirror Master

Like since when? Is this a new 52 thing? The Rogues were kind of always generally together in the Silver Age but there was no specific relationship between Top and MM.

I don't care that Top is a woman, but I hope they don't just stick to the "makes people dizzy" thing and make her at least someone representative of the comic Top who does some insanely crazy poo poo.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Scyantific posted:

Mostly I feel relief that she's not related to Emily Bett Rickards.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dunno but I've seen a few comments from idiots claiming that it worked last season for Firestorm and Killer Frost so they should do it again.

At least that pairing was based on the comics which makes sense. This one doesn't make any sense beyond the "we're the Rogues" schtick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Top uses his skills at spinning toy tops to fund his career? How? Is Barry going to meet her a top spinning competition with a very high top prize?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm more irritated by this:

Like since when? Is this a new 52 thing? The Rogues were kind of always generally together in the Silver Age but there was no specific relationship between Top and MM.

I don't care that Top is a woman, but I hope they don't just stick to the "makes people dizzy" thing and make her at least someone representative of the comic Top who does some insanely crazy poo poo.

Or not because The Top sucks.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I hope they don't try to change The Top's origin and power set because they tried to change Golden Glider for some reason and hosed up horribly!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Proposition Joe posted:

I hope they don't try to change The Top's origin and power set because they tried to change Golden Glider for some reason and hosed up horribly!

I don't think Golden Glider would have worked as well on screen with her original abilities (flying ice skates, right?). They did fine focusing on her character by having an abrasive-yet-playful relationship with Cisco and just giving her a gold-spitting gun. It fits better with Capt Cold and Heatwave too since they just have guns as well.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Or not because The Top sucks.

Wow. What about the Top sucks? The fact that he spins faster than Barry runs and throws exploding tops? Or the fact fact he came back from the dead by possessing Barry's father while getting it on with Golden Glider? Because I think you'll find that those things are totally awesome :colbert:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I dunno, getting super powers because you spun around so much sounds pretty baller to me.

Basically, gently caress anyone who thinks the Top sucks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only good thing the Top did was die.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Scyantific posted:

Nah, they're too busy having a meltdown about a black woman being cast as Mary Jane Watson in the upcoming Spider-Man film.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't think Golden Glider would have worked as well on screen with her original abilities (flying ice skates, right?). They did fine focusing on her character by having an abrasive-yet-playful relationship with Cisco and just giving her a gold-spitting gun. It fits better with Capt Cold and Heatwave too since they just have guns as well.

They could have just given her hover boots, it would have been fine. I would believe that Cisco could build hover boots way more than a gun that turns people into gold.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

lotus circle posted:

Nah, they're too busy having a meltdown about a black woman being cast as Mary Jane Watson in the upcoming Spider-Man film.

A black sheriff!?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

lotus circle posted:

So we can have a black Mary Jane, but not a black Spider-Man? Huh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Donald Glover is a lovely actor, stop trying to make that happen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Scyantific posted:

She was a ballerina and during the middle of a spin she his hit by the wave of the particle accelerator.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Figure skater, more likely

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

This is a joke right

Like you know Peter doesn't require too much range???

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He might be young Lando Calrissian in the young Han Solo movies!

(And I'm a big fan of old Dong Lover, so I'm always rooting for him.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Proposition Joe posted:

I have no idea what the comics version of Golden Glider is like, but I like the one in the show.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, I'd also accept Shameik Moore.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Everyone agrees that Barry and Caitlin have more chemistry than basically any other couple on the show, right?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Other than Barry and Cisco, sure.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everyone agrees that Barry and Caitlin have more chemistry than basically any other couple on the show, right?

Gonna say no, since Barry/Iris got nominated for best TV Chemistry and best Kiss at the TCAs and nominations are decided by votes

Also Caitlin has no chemistry with anyone. Remember when she was gone and nobody noticed?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whizbang posted:

Other than Barry and Cisco, sure.

You mean Cisco and Harry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Also Caitlin has no chemistry with anyone. Remember when she was gone and nobody noticed?
The episode where Caitlin gets drunk and they do karaoke was beat for beat a romantic comedy with them as the leads. Just because the show wastes her doesn't mean she and Barry are not clearly into each other.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The episode where Caitlin gets drunk and they do karaoke was beat for beat a romantic comedy with them as the leads. Just because the show wastes her doesn't mean she and Barry are not clearly into each other.

Yeah that episode was terrible. Not only was the awkwardness cringeworthy but she gets drunk and says he "deserves a peek" for being a good guy or some poo poo. It's hosed up as hell and is the lowest rated episode of the season for good reason.

Also lol at the idea Barry was into Caitlin while Monologuing about Iris every episode and stalking her on rooftops and smelling her hair like a goon.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Also lol at the idea Barry was into Caitlin while Monologuing about Iris every episode and stalking her on rooftops and smelling her hair like a goon.

So then you don't actually know what people mean when the refer to "chemistry"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Yeah that episode was terrible. Not only was the awkwardness cringeworthy but she gets drunk and says he "deserves a peek" for being a good guy or some poo poo. It's hosed up as hell and is the lowest rated episode of the season for good reason.

I never said the show was good at it. I figured their chemistry was inadvertent, it's just exacerbated by how little the Barry/Iris match makes sense.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Koalas March posted:

Gonna say no, since Barry/Iris got nominated for best TV Chemistry and best Kiss at the TCAs and nominations are decided by votes
I mean...I like Barry and Iris' scenes but lol if you think the Teen Choice Awards aren't pre-rigged as hell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't rig nominations, you rig winners.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just lol if you use the Teen Choice Awards as a metric for on-screen Chemistry.

Seriously, these are the same idiots who would probably landslide vote Olicity as "Ship of the Decade" if given the chance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want Caitlin to end up on some kind of Suicide Squad. Since the movies are doing their own version of Flash, and Supergirl has its own Superman, they should say gently caress it and do their own version of SS.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Seriously, these are the same idiots who would probably landslide vote Olicity as "Ship of the Decade" if given the chance.

The problem with Olicity isn't the chemistry though? Its the writers being terrible and turning her into a charicature of her former self and the disservice they did to Laurel. I actually liked Felicity in s2.

Anyway y'all know how I feel. Iris forever. I'm not cool with one if the few black love interests getting sidelined and I've already posted essays in this thread explaining why, the history of medias treatment, sidelining and erasure of black women etc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iris, the intelligent person who's a capable journalist and figures stuff out, is a great character. Iris the clueless love interest who somehow doesn't get obvious poo poo is not.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Koalas March posted:

That was cringey? Seemed appropriate to me, since it seemed like the kind of thing a drunk, awkward person would say to try and be a little sexy but not know how to do so and it seemed to suit Caitlin who hadn't flirted with anyone besides Ronnie in years and was probably feeling lonely and slightly desperate because she was drunk - so why not try a rebound? I don't think she'd have normally contemplated it, but that episode she seemed to be simply because she was drunk and she liked Barry as at least a friend and they were still figuring out their relationship (all of them were really) then. No-one would say it to anyone they didn't find attractive, but someone who was normally slightly awkward would certainly say something like it when drunk. There's plenty of reason to find a hero attractive and she was trying (and failing) to be sexy because being drunk was the one time she felt confident and uninhibited enough to do so.

Scyantific posted:

I assumed he meant more than those were examples of people who didn't agree, not that anyone should take them as a metric for good examples.

ruddiger posted:

I want Caitlin to end up on some kind of Suicide Squad. Since the movies are doing their own version of Flash, and Supergirl has its own Superman, they should say gently caress it and do their own version of SS.

Didn't Arrow already have a Suicide Squad, including a Deadshot?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Iris, the intelligent person who's a capable journalist and figures stuff out

We've had, what, 20 minutes of that character in two seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm sorry, I think you meant to write Barry and Felicity or Barry and Patti

• Locked thread