Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I thought Andromeda was cooked up using sketches and ideas from Gene Rodenberry. The show was really uneven, I liked the idea of the ugly furry trolls and how one was a pacifist monk, but did they ever resolve that plot? Last I saw they damaged that weird world ship and had to rebuild before it got back to doing bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mycroft Holmes posted:

when you hear military marches, do you become aroused/terrified? if so, you are cardassian.

at one point that lovable serial killer dexter gets bitched at by his gf after she borrows his car and is all "you only have marching music in this thing what the hell is wrong with you" and he handwaves it away with some line about how it calms him

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you know there a few things that I don't like it, mainly the music editing, but Continuum is not a terrible show about time traveling.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

I thought Andromeda was coked up using sketches and ideas from Gene Rodenberry.

Yes.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

you know there a few things that I don't like it, mainly the music editing, but Continuum is not a terrible show about time traveling.

Ooh I liked Continuum too. It could have been a truly great show if it just had a bit more flair and the writing had been a bit sharper. There were some episodes that felt oddly dated, cases of the week (a computer game making people kill themselves) and wouldn't have looked out of place on early X-Files. I liked all the stuff with the series arc and the characters were intriguing (except Kiera's dull Chakotay lite partner)

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Baka-nin posted:

I thought Andromeda was cooked up using sketches and ideas from Gene Rodenberry. The show was really uneven, I liked the idea of the ugly furry trolls and how one was a pacifist monk, but did they ever resolve that plot? Last I saw they damaged that weird world ship and had to rebuild before it got back to doing bad things.

I went to read the plot synopsis and even with every detail laid out, and having seen it all twice, I still can't answer your question.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The third season lost its goddamn mind completely, but the first, second and fourth seasons were great :allears:.

The third season is completely nuts, but apart from the screaming girl, there were some great episodes in there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Baka-nin posted:

Reading the wikipedia on it and this sums it up:

quote:

The episode "Ouroboros" (2:12) in the middle of this season became a major turning point for the whole series. "Ouroboros" was the last episode by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, the show's original developer and head writer. The producers allegedly felt that the series was becoming too intellectual and complicated.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The third season lost its goddamn mind completely, but the first, second and fourth seasons were great :allears:.

I had to stop after Zaan left and they brought in what's her name.

quote:

The producers allegedly felt that the series was becoming too intellectual and complicated.

It is amazing anything good ever makes it on TV.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 19, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I went to read the plot synopsis and even with every detail laid out, and having seen it all twice, I still can't answer your question.
I somehow caught the ending randomly, and I believe all the Magog (those batfaced furry guys) were crawling around the hellship that was actually empowered by some ancient chaos evil and Rev + maybe Tyr or something like sacrifice themselves to banish it forever?

Yeah I can't even remember why Trance suddenly turned into a steampunk colored Nightcrawler, or why Tyr left (and what was up with his Uberbaby) or how the clone (?) of the Nietzschean that betrayed Dylan became a regular crewmember.

But I still remember more about it than I do about Mutant X (aka Andy Warhol is the villain, the series).

There was a companion series around at the same time Andromeda was launched that was also a Roddenberry, right? All I can remember is TekWar (which is wrong) but the other series was about Earth being at peace with Aliens who visited but they're not on the level or something

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FilthyImp posted:

There was a companion series around at the same time Andromeda was launched that was also a Roddenberry, right? All I can remember is TekWar (which is wrong) but the other series was about Earth being at peace with Aliens who visited but they're not on the level or something

Earth: Final Conflict. I never watched it but I remember the marketing really playing up that it was developed from something that Roddenberry had once scrawled on a napkin.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Holy gently caress, the Wiki for Earth:Final Conflict reads like the goddamn series was a complete mess. How did it last five loving years?!?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Holy gently caress, the Wiki for Earth:Final Conflict reads like the goddamn series was a complete mess. How did it last five loving years?!?

I binge-watched it a couple of years ago and it was a complete mess but no I don't know how it survived so long when good series like Space: Above and Beyond died at one season.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Mid 90s scifi was plentiful and incomprehensible most of the time, just ask Sliders.

TNG had a lot to do with the glut of 90s TV scifi: SG1/ Sea Quest/earth final conflict/dark skies/Earth Above and Beyond etc. Some of them I enjoyed but even then they looked a bit cheap n cheerful and completely dated when you watch them back now.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ok I'm kinda high and playing elite, I have Voyager on in the background so I can gossip about this show :kiddo:

anyhow I think the episode I just kinda heard was one where Paris and Kim go to some planet and the bacteria or whatever makes pod people clones of the and poo poo and then they cure the regular ones and just said "peace out dudes" to the planet of Paris and Kim clones??

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

ok I'm kinda high and playing elite, I have Voyager on in the background so I can gossip about this show :kiddo:

anyhow I think the episode I just kinda heard was one where Paris and Kim go to some planet and the bacteria or whatever makes pod people clones of the and poo poo and then they cure the regular ones and just said "peace out dudes" to the planet of Paris and Kim clones??

And we never hear from these silver clones again in any future episode...err

Voyager fact I learnt this week: the boy who plays Kate Mulgrew's step son in that horrendous millennium episode of season 5; "11:59" also was the voice of Ariel's best friend Flounder in The Little Mermaid

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FilthyImp posted:

It probably cost nothing to make. It's like those Syfy movies; they don't have to be good at all, they just have to be dirt-cheap and fill some time that advertisers will pay something for. Probably a lot of nepotism going on too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Figaro posted:

Voyager fact I learnt this week: the boy who plays Kate Mulgrew's step son in that horrendous millennium episode of season 5; "11:59" also was the voice of Ariel's best friend Flounder in The Little Mermaid

The little boy who Worf adopts into his Klingon family in one TNG episode was also the drug dealer poo poo from Robocop 2, as well as the voice of LIttlefoot from Land Before Time.

On the topic of Science Fiction shows, are there any good recent ones that have some actual personality to them?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The little boy who Worf adopts into his Klingon family in one TNG episode was also the drug dealer poo poo from Robocop 2, as well as the voice of LIttlefoot from Land Before Time.

On the topic of Science Fiction shows, are there any good recent ones that have some actual personality to them?

the expanse

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Good episodes of Andromeda: the one where a bunch of kids start a High Guard death cult and blow up a star.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Volcott posted:

Good episodes of Andromeda: the one where a bunch of kids start a High Guard death cult and blow up a star.

I liked the one where the villain was some random guy they hit in hyperspace, that was experiencing time in reverse.

It was dumb as poo poo with Trance somehow resetting time with a Bonzai tree to experience every possible future with the resolution being that Kevin Sorbo is the main character and the plot won't let him lose in the end. It was pretty great however seeing frosted tips hacker guy and everyone else repeatedly murdered over and over.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Figaro posted:

That second episode was prime Voyager reset, since it not only changed nothing but deleted the possibility of the first episode having any repercussions and retroactively reset it years later.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The second was good because the Other Guys travelled the Delta more extensively and were like 2 years from the Alpha Quadrant thanks to their Good Engineer and transstream hyperdrive.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Expanse. The attention to detail and science is incredible. Little things like a drink spiraling out of a cocktail shaker due to the Coriolis effect of the station's spin. A ship exploding a distance away and the very real threat of the expanding debris cloud. Generations of people living in microgravity making them taller, and unable to stand in 1g.

The best part is this is the candy decorations of a show with solid acting, amazing production values, and an engaging plot.

And the second season is coming out Q1 2017 :dance:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You know how Voyager is? The Expanse is like the opposite of that. Watch the Expanse.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I somehow caught the ending randomly, and I believe all the Magog (those batfaced furry guys) were crawling around the hellship that was actually empowered by some ancient chaos evil and Rev + maybe Tyr or something like sacrifice themselves to banish it forever?

Yeah I can't even remember why Trance suddenly turned into a steampunk colored Nightcrawler, or why Tyr left (and what was up with his Uberbaby) or how the clone (?) of the Nietzschean that betrayed Dylan became a regular crewmember.

But I still remember more about it than I do about Mutant X (aka Andy Warhol is the villain, the series).

All I really remember is that Rev left for a while then came back for a couple of episodes, and in one of those he undergoes a bishonen transformation. As for Tyr, he turned evil and started working for the Abyss because...reasons? Maybe it had something to do with his kid being the Nietzchean Messiah or something. Anyways he died by getting shoved off a cliff in a pocket dimension or something. As for the other Nietzchean, he just happened to be a descendent of the one who betrayed Dylan and looked exactly like him because something about Nietzchean genetics. I think they changed Trance's appearance to make it more obvious that she was an avatar of a sun. As for the World Ship I think it shows up in the season 4 finale and then maybe in the last couple of episodes of season 5 where they finally get around to destroying it? I just remember thinking that the season 4 finale would've made an excellent series finale because everyone dies horribly in it. But then they had to make season 5 and retcon it by saying that they didn't die, they all just got sucked into wormholes or something just as they were about to die and they all ended up on the same planet.

As for Earth Final Conflict, I just remember it being 90's as gently caress because one of the main characters also had frosted tips at one point.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
We all had frosted tips, every single one of us.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If I ever crashed on that liquid silver planet I'd never leave it would be my very own Harry Mudd planet of fuckbots a new me to soil every night sometimes 2 or 3 at a time more on holidays. Don't act like you haven't thought about it.

I wanted to like The Expanse because I did like the little details but I couldn't get into the plot it's like find that bitch already so I never watched the last 2 or 3 of the season.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also the detective main character guy has the grossest hair it's like cut your goddamn hair already I don't care what planet you live on.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It's like OK I know you've gone renegade but if you're trying to solve a mystery do you have to look like you've got a past and a gun. You know who else was a renegade? Lorenzo Lamas. Think about how good he looked and I'm pretty sure he lived in that motorcycle.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I know he had that millionaire Indian sidekick but I don't think he ever showered there, at least not that I can remember.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Come to think if it I bet he smelled terrible. B

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Like stoner hippie guys who go to college and think they're the guy from rage against the machine but then you get intimate and they've got a buttcrack full of bacon bits

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I don't remember much of Renegade but it was pretty good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Figaro posted:

Ha, you are so wrong.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Course:_Oblivion_(episode)

It's either the shittiest Voyager episode ever, or the super best Voyager episode ever, depending on how much you hate Voyager.

It also makes you think.. what if all the episodes between the original "Demon" and this one were the Adventures of The BioMimetic Clones? This is what I choose to believe..

What makes it even more pathetic are hints that the BMCs were better at Voyaging than the originals, (talk about stuff during the wedding party that indicates they managed to get past things that would have stumped the original dopey crew) especially if they were able to cobble together, on their own, a 'quantum slipstream' drive that would have gotten them back to Earth if maybe they'd been a little faster..

Then you would have this great scene where Janeway succumbs to the delayed effects of the drive by dissolving into a pile of silver goo right in front of Admiral Paris, followed by the rest of the crew and the ship itself, leading the Feds to decide that travel to the Delta Quadrant is too dangerous cause it has some weird radiation that makes you dissolve eventually, and they blockade the DS9 wormhole.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 19, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I think it was hard for 90's series to get their first episodes out

On the one hand you can begin In Media Res and nothing will make sense until the episode's almost over and you don't care about anyone and don't understand the bigger conflict these giant CGI ships are part of.

On the other hand you do like Star Trek did and start with a normal episode but unlike Star Trek you have to explain the premise and fall prey to explaining who everybody is, and what they're doing , and why they're doing it.

"Good morning Captain Babisher."
"Ah, good morning First Mate Mosely. How is the war today?"
"The war between the United Planetary League and the Randari Coalition?"
"Yes, that war."
"Not great, but through our best efforts our ship the UPLS Beethoven will avenge the dead UPL colony worlds from those Randari bastards."
"Ah good, here comes the ship's doctor, Dr Obom."
"What is the Human Earth expression? Good Morning, humanoids?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Go give Killjoys a watch. It's dumb fun, and it's well-aware of it. Season one's just okay, but the ongoing second season has been fantastic fun :allears:. Dark Matter's a pretty okay watch too.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Ha, you are so wrong.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Course:_Oblivion_(episode)

It's either the shittiest Voyager episode ever, or the super best Voyager episode ever, depending on how much you hate Voyager.

It also makes you think.. what if all the episodes between the original "Demon" and this one were the Adventures of The BioMimetic Clones? This is what I choose to believe..

What makes it even more pathetic are hints that the BMCs were better at Voyaging than the originals, (talk about stuff during the wedding party that indicates they managed to get past things that would have stumped the original dopey crew) especially if they were able to cobble together, on their own, a 'quantum slipstream' drive that would have gotten them back to Earth if maybe they'd been a little faster..

Then you would have this great scene where Janeway succumbs to the delayed effects of the drive by dissolving into a pile of silver goo right in front of Admiral Paris, followed by the rest of the crew and the ship itself, leading the Feds to decide that travel to the Delta Quadrant is too dangerous cause it has some weird radiation that makes you dissolve eventually, and they blockade the DS9 wormhole.

I wasn't being serious man. I just thought the sequel was poo poo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

went to see the new Star Trek movie yesterday, it made me want to die. what an absolute utter garbage film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'd heard nothing but good things about it.

What about it didn't you like?