Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Walton Simons posted:

What determines how long a siege lasts? I thought they'd give up once the shells ran out but they keep pulling more out of their arses.

The latest siege of my colony lasted almost no time, they arrived just after a man hunter rhino pack showed up, so they immediately got their poo poo kicked in by passed off rhinos! Good old Randy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Randy has been very quiet for me since giving me the siege, two raids I had before that were driven off by wargs and traders so three times is a bit much to ask for.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Walton Simons posted:

I'm guessing the first two are shield quality, condition until it falls apart and I don't know what the 80/80 does.

the 80/80 is the shield strength. As it is so damaged it won't absorb much punishment. It'll slowly recharge after reaching 0. Basically the first 80 damage from bullets hitting your guy will be harmlessly absorbed.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Got it, thanks. Might be enough for a quick stabbing and running away.

e: Oh dear, one of my colonists went on a food binge. What the tastiest food on the map? The besiegers' survival meals, of course! :shepface: Respect for eating one before being knocked down, I guess.

I do think the fact that they'd assault could be communicated a little better. The understanding I had is that they'd go away if you resisted the shelling and they ran out of supplies.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 18, 2016

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Is there any point in growing rose or daylilly plots other than aesthetics/beauty mood boost?

Also having a raid walk into an infestation I've been neglecting is too good

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I just had a bug infeatation in a bedroom in the middle of the night for the first time. With no turrets, I had to park all 10 of my colonists around the door in a half-circle and shoot the bugs as they came out. Despite being savaged by bugs and having a hail of bullets shot over her, the bedroom's occupant somehow survived, with the only death being from me not noticing the colony's nudist was taking point.

Also, I didn't know mood penalties from a fiance's death and a friend's death would stack when they originate from the same person. Hello, constant berserk rampages!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Elth posted:

Also, I didn't know mood penalties from a fiance's death and a friend's death would stack when they originate from the same person. Hello, constant berserk rampages!

That's gotta be a bug. Fiance death has higher penalty and should be just next level up from a friend penalty.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

"My X relationship," "My friend," and "a colonist" death penalties all appear and are in effect at the same time.

e: at least for me

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

This game needs a fishing skill to make deserts and cold environments possible at the tribal level imo

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I have a fear that rimworld is sort of becoming like morrowind, its always awesome to read about it, but some games really are just frustrating.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Man Musk posted:

This game needs a fishing skill to make deserts and cold environments possible at the tribal level imo

There was a mod for it, not sure if it's been updated for the latest version/steam workshop though.

Edit: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13172.0 still being worked on, looks like someone may have ported the fishing bit to A14 on page 22.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 19, 2016

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
Maybe I'm playing this wrong, but I'm on my first colony and fumbling through things, but it's taking a long time. I'm playing on the peaceful setting and the calm story person. Thus far I've had one attack by a single person which I fended off and ended up recruiting after they were injured (and are probably my most useful person) and also a single mental patient arrive (to go with the one I already had). I've got some farms up, and have been messing around with power production but research takes forever so I'm not seeing any cool advanced stuff, I'm not having any traders show up, and I'm not getting any incoming people. Should I be playing on a harder setting, or maybe I just got some crappy starting people? Alternately are there any good starting guides for getting a first settlement up and going?

Also I've got a sun-lamp out by my crops to help stuff grow but it keeps shorting out in the rain and starting fires. Is there any way I can build a roof over it or something to protect it from the rain? Thus far roofs have just been built automatically and any place dug out from mountains just has rock, be it thick or thin, overhead which I don't seem to be able to change due to the game just being on one plane unlike some others like DF, Gnomoria, and Stonehearth.

The game seems cool overall, I've had some weird things happen (like a swarm of yorkie puppies or a wall emanating an evil aura) but I seem to be having trouble getting things off the ground.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Tighran posted:

Should I be playing on a harder setting
yes. the first two options are really boring. also phoebe chillax is boring

Tighran posted:

Is there any way I can build a roof over it or something to protect it from the rain? Thus far roofs have just been built automatically and any place dug out from mountains just has rock, be it thick or thin, overhead which I don't seem to be able to change due to the game just being on one plane unlike some others like DF, Gnomoria, and Stonehearth.
yep. it's in the zone menu. also the sun lamp isn't intended for outdoor farms and i think won't do anything for you unless daylight never reaches 100% since plants don't grow at night anyway. unless you build your whole farm indoors of course.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 19, 2016

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Tighran posted:

Maybe I'm playing this wrong, but I'm on my first colony and fumbling through things, but it's taking a long time. I'm playing on the peaceful setting and the calm story person. Thus far I've had one attack by a single person which I fended off and ended up recruiting after they were injured (and are probably my most useful person) and also a single mental patient arrive (to go with the one I already had). I've got some farms up, and have been messing around with power production but research takes forever so I'm not seeing any cool advanced stuff, I'm not having any traders show up, and I'm not getting any incoming people. Should I be playing on a harder setting, or maybe I just got some crappy starting people? Alternately are there any good starting guides for getting a first settlement up and going?

Also I've got a sun-lamp out by my crops to help stuff grow but it keeps shorting out in the rain and starting fires. Is there any way I can build a roof over it or something to protect it from the rain? Thus far roofs have just been built automatically and any place dug out from mountains just has rock, be it thick or thin, overhead which I don't seem to be able to change due to the game just being on one plane unlike some others like DF, Gnomoria, and Stonehearth.

The game seems cool overall, I've had some weird things happen (like a swarm of yorkie puppies or a wall emanating an evil aura) but I seem to be having trouble getting things off the ground.

You should open up the wall with the aura.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It appears that the generation of character connections can be just a little random at times. In my current run, I have a pair of sisters in my group, the second one joining in a few days after the initial crash. So far, so good. Except a few days later, the colony is attacked by their daughter. Their daughter, as in, both of them are listed as her mothers. That seems like a bit of an oversight. Or maybe lesbian incest babies are common in this future, I won't judge. :shrug:

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

I love this game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man Musk posted:

Is there any point in growing rose or daylilly plots other than aesthetics/beauty mood boost?

Also having a raid walk into an infestation I've been neglecting is too good

Animals can eat your grown flowers so dandelions make reasonable pasture crops if you have an abundance of space but not enough growing season to do a full hay harvest, they will also survive the winter which is nice.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perestroika posted:

It appears that the generation of character connections can be just a little random at times. In my current run, I have a pair of sisters in my group, the second one joining in a few days after the initial crash. So far, so good. Except a few days later, the colony is attacked by their daughter. Their daughter, as in, both of them are listed as her mothers. That seems like a bit of an oversight. Or maybe lesbian incest babies are common in this future, I won't judge. :shrug:

The code is actually specifically written to allow this to happen at a 90% reduced rate. I suppose you could assume they adopted.

Zak2k12 posted:

I love this game.

I'm deeply offended at your lack of proper management in allowing your colonists to use precious steel to sculpt.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Squeegy posted:

I'm deeply offended at your lack of proper management in allowing your colonists to use precious steel to sculpt.

I know, but it was literally my first game. Also the Phoebe narrator is kind of easy. The only thing that blindsided me was the first alien ship. I attacked it and didn't know that the aliens would spawn out of it. But I guess it was a nice way to learn the game.
I think I'm going to try the random narrator next.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Here is a mod that adds new traits and thoughts to the game to spice up colonist variety/emergent storytelling: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=747313773

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

a7m2 posted:

yes. the first two options are really boring. also phoebe chillax is boring

yep. it's in the zone menu. also the sun lamp isn't intended for outdoor farms and i think won't do anything for you unless daylight never reaches 100% since plants don't grow at night anyway. unless you build your whole farm indoors of course.

Plants absolutely grow at night as long as they have sufficient light level and temperature. Putting them indoors just lets you control the temperature with heaters/coolers. Some biomes have significant temperature drops at night, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well that's a new behaviour. I got attacked by a group of pirates, killed two, wounded the rest, then had to retreat to get my fallen defenders to safety.

The pirates immediately charged forward, stripped their dead (and my dead, grabbing my only decent melee weapon :argh:) and retreated from the field in good order, denying me any loot.

Assholes.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I may be missing an obvious feature, but is there a way to see the recent events in log format?

One of my colonists died with "shredded torso / shredded arms / shredded head" and I don't know how that happened.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LordAdakos posted:

I may be missing an obvious feature, but is there a way to see the recent events in log format?

One of my colonists died with "shredded torso / shredded arms / shredded head" and I don't know how that happened.

Sounds like something exploded next to them.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Mzbundifund posted:

Plants absolutely grow at night as long as they have sufficient light level and temperature. Putting them indoors just lets you control the temperature with heaters/coolers. Some biomes have significant temperature drops at night, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Since when? In last patch they were just switching to "resting" for the night anyway. Just select them and see, it's a different state than growth being paused by low temperature/light.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
In my current game I had a 19-point researcher show up as a raider, I managed to recruit her and it's fairly OP.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Since when? In last patch they were just switching to "resting" for the night anyway. Just select them and see, it's a different state than growth being paused by low temperature/light.

You're correct. However, there's a mod for that: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730817198

Honestly, it should be part of the base game, it's pretty dumb that they go to sleep at night in the presence of a sun lamp.

E; Honestly, some ED mods are great QoL improvements, like embrasures. Most of them are bordering on overpowered though.

Fluffy's mods are pretty much all must haves.

Skullywag's mods are all pretty great and range from cosmetic to complete overhauls of some stuff. I love his better vents and coolers for the aesthetics alone, but the ExtendedXXXXXXX mods he has are all pretty awesome, and don't feel too game braking IMO. Being able to build specialized containers for all your stuff using Extended Storage is especially pleasing compared to just plopping stockpiles all over the place. My freezer and crafting areas never looked so good.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 19, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pyromancer posted:

Oh, I'm sorry. I had that mod installed from way back when and forgot about it.

I have a question about Expectations moodlets.

I just built everyone a sweet dining hall and everyone got sadder because they switched from the +10 Low Expectations to the +5 Moderate Expectations moodlet, which was absolutely not made up for by the Nice Dining Hall moodlet, which is only +3 and wears off a few hours after they eat. That's kind of trash. How am I supposed to keep people happy if trying to give them nice things just makes them entitled jerks? I'm not very experienced at this stage of the game - usually my colonies are dead by now.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How do I keep Cobras from just wandering into my home and biting the gently caress out of my animals?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Croccers posted:

How do I keep Cobras from just wandering into my home and biting the gently caress out of my animals?

I just mark them for hunting usually. If they go hostile I'll recruit any other nearby pawns and team up on it before it's a problem.

Also, I'm drowning in rabbits now and it's awesome having a pile of rabbit meat on hand almost all the time. It'd be tedious as hell without the colony management mod and animal incest disabled, but being able to just set a 25 female and 2 male quota leaves me with an endless supply of farm to table rabbits.

A group of chickens just spontaneously joined my colony though and I'm thinking I may just slaughter the rabbits once the chickens hit a sustainable population. I figure the extra eggs will make for an even crazier sustainable food situation.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 19, 2016

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

NatasDog posted:

I just mark them for hunting usually. If they go hostile I'll recruit any other nearby pawns and team up on it before it's a problem.
I have marked them all for hunting, but then the game spawns in new ones and they'll just wander in and bite the poo poo out of everything again. :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Croccers posted:

I have marked them all for hunting, but then the game spawns in new ones and they'll just wander in and bite the poo poo out of everything again. :(

build a wall. the tradeoff for a jungle start is that while you're enjoying your no cold temps and year round growing season, you have to deal with poisonous and aggressive wildlife and more diseases

Tighran posted:

in between raids, rimworld is pretty slow paced. it takes a while to do things

don't leave electronics outside in the rain, they will short out. build a wall around or near your lamp and you can hang roofs off of that - any enclosed space will have a roof built automagically but you can also designate a roof area

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Croccers posted:

That's basically how it goes until you wall your settlement and restrict your animals to that area though. I built a makeshift barn with a wall around just the animal designated area once, but it was a hughe waste of labor and resources since your animals respect whatever boundary you set for them anyway. Now I just wall off my settlement and keep the animal area inside it; so much easier. Your tamed animals will open doors, but from what I can tell wild ones won't

On mountain maps it's especially easy to just wall off the 3-4 chokepoints between passes that your base resides in. I tend to mark out passes within 20-30 tiles of the map edges for choke point walls so I can use them for defense with embrasures as well. Once you've killed off all the cougars/snakes/foxes/etc. inside your walls, everything is contained outside.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bunleigh posted:

In my current game I had a 19-point researcher show up as a raider, I managed to recruit her and it's fairly OP.

Many of my pawns have 17-20 skill. I suspect that I have been too insistent on keeping them alive.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
any idea on when combat realism is ready for the new beta?
i need to make a crackhouse and i can't without sperging about ammo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you use the colony manager mod one of the things you can do is defined an area where things are automatically marked for hunting. I'm not sold one the mod as a whole just because of how much of your manager's time it consumes to have every job in the colony managed, but the auto hunt/auto harvest/auto tree chopping aspects are really nice.

I use it to keep my fields animal free

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Baloogan posted:

any idea on when combat realism is ready for the new beta?
i need to make a crackhouse and i can't without sperging about ammo

Never. He quit: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9759.0

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Skyarkhangel took up development and updated it for A14, and hopefully will for A15 as well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Khisanth Magus posted:

Skyarkhangel took up development and updated it for A14, and hopefully will for A15 as well.

Oh, my bad, I don't use the mod and didn't see another forum thread on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds