Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Just make sure to check your progress between sales — she'll happily take every bit of data you get, but of course, once you get to rank 5, she's just another station with a cartography office in it.

I'm not sure if they've fixed the bug where, if you use the secondary methods to rank up engineers, the results won't show immediately and you have to go through a whole leaving-and-coming-back song and dance to make it update properly, so watch out for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Does dumping exploration data work on her even after she's unlocked?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So from these videos, looks like you can't leave AI in control of your ship/give your ship commands if you hop in the fighter? Or did they just not show that bit. Weird to see the Type 9 just sit stationary with its arse hanging open, while it's being shot at.
Either way I'm a little baffled that they decided to have the thing's max speed be only 300m/s but give it quite powerful lasers, you'd have thought it would be fast but puny, not the other way around. Guess this may make it more useful in the long run - or maybe the different types have different stats.

Insert name here posted:

I don't care if it's gonna be sub-optimal or whatever fighter bays look sick as gently caress and I can't wait to fill my Corvette with as many as I possibly can
Have they confirmed multiple fighter bays?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

I'm not sure if they've fixed the bug where, if you use the secondary methods to rank up engineers, the results won't show immediately and you have to go through a whole leaving-and-coming-back song and dance to make it update properly, so watch out for that too.

It updated immediately for me about 2 weeks ago, so it seems fixed.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I literally play this game for the engine sound effects and drat those fighters sound awesome.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

I literally play this game for the engine sound effects and drat those fighters sound awesome.

Whats your opinion on the Stuka Asp?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I bought the expansion and crammed an SRV into a Sidewinder, then landed on a hunk of ice and tumbled around. It's pretty cool. Just thought y'all should know.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Whats your opinion on the Stuka Asp?

It would be nice if it could pitch up a bit faster and not be so fond of plowing straight into the ground. And also if mines worked properly on planets.

Ledenko posted:

I bought the expansion and crammed an SRV into a Sidewinder, then landed on a hunk of ice and tumbled around. It's pretty cool. Just thought y'all should know.

Good start. Now try Achenar 3.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Starting to feel like the fdls thing is, it's not very forgiving. It's great when you're doing well, but if you start loving up your fa-offing you're turning circle will widen or you'll stall out and be in front of their guns straight away. Good practice I guess

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Starting to feel like the fdls thing is, it's not very forgiving. It's great when you're doing well, but if you start loving up your fa-offing you're turning circle will widen or you'll stall out and be in front of their guns straight away. Good practice I guess

Yeah, but then you just shrug, let the shields tank it, and go on your merry way. :v:
Then again, that makes it good practice too: you can actually screw up multiple times and then get right back at it and try again.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

El Grillo posted:

So from these videos, looks like you can't leave AI in control of your ship/give your ship commands if you hop in the fighter? Or did they just not show that bit. Weird to see the Type 9 just sit stationary with its arse hanging open, while it's being shot at.
I am pretty sure someone said that your ship should be able to defend itself while you fly around in a fighter. That video seems like a demonstration (no way python would be that squishy).

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Insert name here posted:

I don't care if it's gonna be sub-optimal or whatever fighter bays look sick as gently caress and I can't wait to fill my Corvette with as many as I possibly can

By the looks of it, you will be giving up size 7 internals.. wich are great for shields, and scb's on the corvette..

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shadow_333 posted:

By the looks of it, you will be giving up size 7 internals.. wich are great for shields, and scb's on the corvette..

Doesnt the Gunship get a fighter bay?
I dont think it even has a size 7 to give up, but then again it could be size 7 for dual-fighter bays.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tippis posted:

Yes. Especially if you go nuts with the engineer upgrades. I seem to recall that they had to up the power of station defences to make them stand a chance against upgraded ships and the FdL is definitely a candidate cause for that need. Without even rolling all that well, you can almost make it have more effective HP in shields alone (and still have a silly fast recharge) than an old A-fitted Anaconda would have in total.

Gotta ask, are they now setting this game up so that bigger ships with more guns more or less have no function? If smaller ships can win exchanges easily with multi-million dollar mini-cruisers, what's the point of having one? Of course, I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, because I'm more or less done with the game until it's vastly more complete and has some content, but I'm just curious if that's the plan for balancing out the players who are space billionaires at this point, by making cheaper ships a lot better than the Anacondas and Corvettes and whatnot.

oRGy
May 8, 2014
Frontier doesn't really do balancing, to answer your question. Maybe in Season 3 there will be a "3.3 - Combat Overhaul", should Sandro actually play a modern game.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Nice piece of fish posted:

Gotta ask, are they now setting this game up so that bigger ships with more guns more or less have no function? If smaller ships can win exchanges easily with multi-million dollar mini-cruisers, what's the point of having one? Of course, I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, because I'm more or less done with the game until it's vastly more complete and has some content, but I'm just curious if that's the plan for balancing out the players who are space billionaires at this point, by making cheaper ships a lot better than the Anacondas and Corvettes and whatnot.

EVE is having the same problem right now. Big ships are extremely vulnerable to little cheaper fast stuff so nobody flies battleships or batetlecruisers anymore.

At least in Elite, you can just leave if you're being hounded by a gnat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok fighters and being able to hotswap instantly in combat between them is pretty amazing

oRGy
May 8, 2014

Boogalo posted:

EVE is having the same problem right now. Big ships are extremely vulnerable to little cheaper fast stuff so nobody flies battleships or batetlecruisers anymore.

At least in Elite, you can just leave if you're being hounded by a gnat.

Hmm, dunno about this. You literally have to skillgrind for months to fly bigger ships and even longer to get all the higher skill bonuses. There is also a big variety of Frigate - Cruiser roles as well as T2/T3 ships which outclass the standard larger ships and T3 ships are more versatile. Supercaps and Carriers are bigger than Battleships but are very important in fleets.

Whereas in Elite, all ships, even the biggest, have the same basic dogfighter role as the smallest ones and no special weapons or longer engagement ranges, they just take and deal much more damage with only minor downsides - mainly modestly decreased agility and speed and of course price, which has no relationship to real supply and demand.

Fighters being not terribly fast is straight out of the EVE design book though. Makes sense if they are more defensive in nature.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Weeeeell… they're still bigger and they still have more guns. You can mod them too to get some absolutely absurd setups. If you're talking about ratting, then the bigger ships let you kill bigger ships faster — same as before. If you're talking about PvP, it's more a case that it's easier to end up in a draw, where one side can safely retreat and the only real difference is that you can now do this in slightly smaller ships as well. It also looks like they're ramping up the use of large and capital ships for NPC encounters, so that bit of extra tank and firepower will help there too.

But other than that, it's what others have said: they don't really do balancing. In fact the whole gate gun episode suggests that they don't even really think about it until players make it a problem.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

Hasn't it always been like that? The only time I voluntarily used a battleship was my nano tempest, because it was faster than t1 cruisers.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Dwesa posted:

I am pretty sure someone said that your ship should be able to defend itself while you fly around in a fighter. That video seems like a demonstration (no way python would be that squishy).

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed - heyooo, the Python is dead — yikes!!

Fighters seem like fun but it's going to be really hard to strike the right balance. If fighters are powerful, players with pythons and anacondas will be (rightly) annoyed. If fighters are dramatically less powerful and squishier than eagles, without being faster or more maneuverable, that won't be fun either — nobody wants to get one-shot by auto-aiming lasers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They went over it in the stream just now. You hire AI pilots of different combat ranks and they stay as part of your "crew" inside the ship. The AI controls either the fighter or your ship from within the ship. You can hotswap between the two instantly.

Fighters are incredibly fast and agile, they can keep up with a vulture and a keelback + fighter chased off the vulture. Although the dude piloting the vulture was probably poo poo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I guess the real question is what size weapons the fighter has, because that's an incredibly important deciding factor in combat. Small mounts aren't going to do poo poo to bigger ships.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

More videos coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7z1rB7PBSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp4Hxe19qCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcTZNO7v3_c

And another DB interview. Culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YGlW4WB90Y

oRGy
May 8, 2014
GSV My Horizons Are Limited Only By Your Gravitas

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Truga posted:

Hasn't it always been like that? The only time I voluntarily used a battleship was my nano tempest, because it was faster than t1 cruisers.

So-so. They always had the balancing where big ships were penalised against smaller ones — the problem really began when they started enough options that the smaller ships could start dishing out similar amounts of damage and having, if not equal, then at least a sizeable fraction of the tanks of larger ships without really losing any of the small-ship advantages in the process.

So you ended up with hugely fast cruisers that would avoid battleship weapons, trivially tank whatever damage connected, and yet do almost as much damage. Their one remaining downside was damage projection — they didn't have range — but with new warp and scanning mechanics, the range benefit of larger ships became a liability instead (and if the small ship was fast enough, not much of a benefit to begin with).

Classic uneven power creep, really.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
That AI fighter with comms chatter :swoon:

Are you limited to a single AI pilot or can the bigger ships launch multiple fighters at once?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What would you recommend upgrading the power distributor towards in a FDL?
Systems because shield tank?
Weapons becuase shields are good enough already?
Engines cause mobility is the key to victory?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tippis posted:

So-so. They always had the balancing where big ships were penalised against smaller ones — the problem really began when they started enough options that the smaller ships could start dishing out similar amounts of damage and having, if not equal, then at least a sizeable fraction of the tanks of larger ships without really losing any of the small-ship advantages in the process.

So you ended up with hugely fast cruisers that would avoid battleship weapons, trivially tank whatever damage connected, and yet do almost as much damage. Their one remaining downside was damage projection — they didn't have range — but with new warp and scanning mechanics, the range benefit of larger ships became a liability instead (and if the small ship was fast enough, not much of a benefit to begin with).

Classic uneven power creep, really.

Exactly. Small stuff got lots of new toys and the big stuff (capitals notwithstanding) didn't.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Oh, god. Not this again.

Short answer is: It depends on how your ship is fitted.

Sys Cap isn't really needed. focusing on WEP means you won't be able to boost as often. focusing on ENG might leave your weapons starved, depending on pip allocation.

A charge enhanced PD is a good general purpose choice if you aren't sure, it makes all capacitors charge faster, at the cost of the capacity being reduced.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, I went with charge enhanced in the end, and it worked out well enough. :D

The pips still do what the pips do, and even with the lower capacity, nothing you do should ever really drain them anyway (and, of course, you can still be lucky with the rolls to the point where you won't even notice the cap penalty).

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Tippis posted:

nothing you do should ever really drain them anyway

Remember ABC, Always Be Cboosting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Never, ever go systems focus. The only real reason to put pips in SYS is that it boosts the strength of your shields, and systems focus doesn't improve that.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
My logic is to always go with WEP-focused if in doubt. Putting pips in ENG and SYS have important secondary benefits besides charge rate, but WEP does not. It makes sense to go WEP-focused so you can neglect it for pips, putting them in SYS and ENG instead for stronger shields and faster turning.

If you're using energy efficient weapons like pulse lasers and multicannons, a WEP-focused capacitor can stretch really far on a single pip.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

That AI fighter with comms chatter :swoon:

Are you limited to a single AI pilot or can the bigger ships launch multiple fighters at once?

Bigger ships can handle multiple hangars. Both corvette and the cutter can equip two. As for piltos...maybe!?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

oRGy posted:

GSV My Horizons Are Limited Only By Your Gravitas

GCU So Dense Not Even Gravitas Can Escape

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
At work; wasn't giving the stream my full attention... When you pop into a fighter to control it manually in combat, does your main ship automatically go into AI-controlled combat mode? Or does it just putter along like a big dummy?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

At work; wasn't giving the stream my full attention... When you pop into a fighter to control it manually in combat, does your main ship automatically go into AI-controlled combat mode? Or does it just putter along like a big dummy?

As long as you have an additional AI pilot it'll take control of the ship.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So how so they handle fighters blowing up with crew, any indication? Do they just die or magically revive at station or what?

Also what is the explanation lore wise for why we don't die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mr. Crow posted:

So how so they handle fighters blowing up with crew, any indication? Do they just die or magically revive at station or what?

Also what is the explanation lore wise for why we don't die?

Fighters are controlled via telepresence - the pilots remain on the mothership.

As for us not dying when the mothership pops? Escape pods (although the NPC crew apparently don't get them. They get permadeath.)

• Locked thread