Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Vegetable posted:

What are trade routes supposed to be an abstraction of? Seems odd to railroad the player into colonizing a specific part of the world by preventing trade flows between specific subcontinents.

Trade routes of the era were largely influenced by trade winds. While you could go directly back and forth, it made more sense to have 3 or 4 points and sail in a circle (hence the Triangle Trade in the Americas, Africa, and Europe). No point getting stuck in the doldrums and losing precious time, which is precious money, when you could just sail a bit South to Africa first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Pellisworth posted:

Like I said, overseas colonization is largely a vanity project and early on it's a race to get the best provinces. Going for South Africa early lets you block other colonizers from the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asia for a century or more.

I kinda disagree with this. American colonization is generally not valuable until much later, but Asian/African really doesn't take that long to pay for its self- hopping around Africa gives you huge amounts of ivory and then easy keys to Mutapa with their 4 gold provinces in southeast. It also means you get an absolutely asininely huge development inflation- which the AI will weigh in your favor, plus which lets you become an Empire much more quickly and get the bonus military leader. Especially with the new states system where as a European team you can get the full wealth out of these provinces, it's very lucrative. If I'm able I pretty much try to colonize every single game.

Also I would say West Africa is #1 priority for European colonization every time unless you're pushing it through the North Sea. That node is the link for Asia, Africa and all the valuable parts of the Americas, you really wanna lock it down as much as you can. Unlike the South African node, it splits in different directions, and France and England will both be fighting hard to pull it away from Iberia if you let them.

Asian colonization has two further advantages of 1. you will never have to deal with colonies wanting independence and 2. with the expansion CB you'll always have someone to conquer, even if Europe is in a deadlock at the time. And yeah after a century or so money will stop being an issue for the rest of the game.

e: and yeah, it's totally possible as a European team to colonize the South Africa + the Atlantic and Indian Ocean islands before anyone else manages, and if you do that you'll keep the rest of Europe out of Asia until the 17th century when they start to reach it from west of the Americas, by which point you should already have the significant parts of Asian trade locked down.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 16, 2016

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any tips for Ragusa? I ally Hungary and take Zeta and Kosovo from Serbia, take 2 provinces from Bosnia, give one to Hungary and vassalise the rest. Not sure how to expand after that.

Venice is way to strong and I seem unable to ally Austria. Ottos usually tale Albania and the rest of Serbia.

Once I managed to take some of the papal states, but usually everyone else is either stronger or has way too many allies.

Also, any tip for ideas?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sistergodiva posted:

Any tips for Ragusa? I ally Hungary and take Zeta and Kosovo from Serbia, take 2 provinces from Bosnia, give one to Hungary and vassalise the rest. Not sure how to expand after that.

Venice is way to strong and I seem unable to ally Austria. Ottos usually tale Albania and the rest of Serbia.

Once I managed to take some of the papal states, but usually everyone else is either stronger or has way too many allies.

Also, any tip for ideas?

Ally Austria or Pol-thuania and use them to crush Hungary.
Or use Austria to help beat Venice so you can get Istria and join the HRE. You probably need a dip rep guy and some luck to get Austria as a friend. I havent played in the balkans for a few patches though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Hey folks. I was told about the Paradox Summer Sale today and looked through the Europa Universalis IV catalogue, looks like everything but Common Sense and The Cossacks are on sale, are they worth the $35 normal price?

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I would say Common Sense is good enough full price, not so much Cossacks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Threaten War is in The Cossacks, isn't it? It's by far my favorite diplomatic action in the game. I've quadrupled the size of my Bengal state without fighting a war in the past 20 years. It almost feels broken how useful it is.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Vegetable posted:

Threaten War is in The Cossacks, isn't it? It's by far my favorite diplomatic action in the game. I've quadrupled the size of my Bengal state without fighting a war in the past 20 years. It almost feels broken how useful it is.

Yeah, it's awesome. Majahapit, Pasai and Brunei are my standard victims, and I can usually get it to work on Ming too. Conquering most of SE-Asia without fighting any wars feels a bit broken, but I'm not complaining, since it means I can keep my real fleet in Europe and just move my rebel army around piecemeal undisturbed.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone explain why I took 300 Aggressive Expansion from taking these 4 provinces? It just loving destroyed my second attempt at the Basileus achievement. I didn't bother looking at the annex screen because there isn't really much around me and I hadn't done much warring in a 20 year space.

I had a claim on Kutahya which I used to start the war while Mamluks were demolishing the Ottomans for Trebizond. The last war I had was a defensive one against Ottomans that I won 11 years prior using rebels (Westernizing, Bankrupt and Peasants War all at once :suicide:) and I claimed one province off of them. Getting 70 AE per loving province makes the HRE hits look reasonable.

Edit: The AE hit was with Sunni nations. The Shia took 34 and the next took 20ish.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 18, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

300 AE with whom? With the Ottomans? The Mamluks? Hungary?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

300 AE with whom? With the Ottomans? The Mamluks? Hungary?

Mamluks, Tunis, Crimea, Persia and the gulf states. They instantly formed a coalition. Basically everyone of the Sunni religion near Byz.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
300? Do you mean all the AE added up to 300? You could eat all of France in one go and with a single person it'd probably barely give you 300 AE if that.

I expect you had fairly high AE with the Muslim teams already from previous wars, and taking those provinces pushed it over the edge. Maybe if the Ottomans had been sitting on those provinces for a while, they developed them a bunch too so they were worth more AE each.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How did you lose Athens?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Koramei posted:

300? Do you mean all the AE added up to 300? You could eat all of France in one go and with a single person it'd probably barely give you 300 AE if that.

I expect you had fairly high AE with the Muslim teams already from previous wars, and taking those provinces pushed it over the edge. Maybe if the Ottomans had been sitting on those provinces for a while, they developed them a bunch too so they were worth more AE each.

The current AE is at 300 with Mamluks which is the closest Sunni nation. Qara Qoyunlu which is the next immediate neighbor has 30. Persia which is further beyond has 200 AE. The Balkan neighbors are like 13 AE. Something to do with a full annex on a Sunni nation spiked the AE to ridiculous levels. I had snatched one province up in about 30 years since I was Westernizing, Bankrupt and suffering from a Peasant War.

CharlestheHammer posted:

How did you lose Athens?

Lost a war which made me release them. Crimea came in and vassalized them. Venice snatched it when Poland/Lith was stomping Crimea. Typical early game Byz bullshit.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 18, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taking land in a defensive war usually comes with a huge AE penalty, and all of that AE probably hasn't been going away so well if you haven't been making friends with any of those Sunni nations. Combine that lingering AE with taking a few high-value provinces without a claim + the AE penalty for full-annexation and I guess that's a believable amount of AE you could be getting

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a way to stop my allies/vassals from 'helping' me put down a revolution I want to fire?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a way to stop my allies/vassals from 'helping' me put down a revolution I want to fire?

Are you in an active war? If so no. If not, start revoking military access, which will at least keep your allies out.

Nothing you can really do about the vassals though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

PittTheElder posted:

Are you in an active war? If so no. If not, start revoking military access, which will at least keep your allies out.

Nothing you can really do about the vassals though.

Disloyal vassals won't come to your aid in wars, except for defending their own territory.

If the same applies to rebellions, temporarily pissing them off could make them stop chasing your rebels.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
New dev diary, Fetishist Cults.

Works like Hindu in the sense that your ruler chooses one, game starts with three and up to 17 total unlocked through interacting with other faiths.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can someone clarify what exactly triggers the "Unbalanced Research" modifier for corruption? Is it based on the gap between your highest tech area and your lowest tech area? How many levels for the modifier to kick in?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Vegetable posted:

Can someone clarify what exactly triggers the "Unbalanced Research" modifier for corruption? Is it based on the gap between your highest tech area and your lowest tech area? How many levels for the modifier to kick in?

It starts when you get 3+ levels between your highest and lowest tech.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what would you think is a good starting idea for Sweden?

I was thinking of maybe Aristocratic/Offensive and then Administrative, any suggestions?

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 18, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koorisch posted:

So what would you think is a good starting tech for Sweden?

I was thinking of maybe Aristocratic/Offensive and then Administrative, any suggestions?
Admin first; never do a military idea first unless you have a crazy good Mil ruler. When you do pick a Military Idea set, Aristocratic is bad so I would do Offensive between the two, probably Defensive first if it was me playing.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

YouTuber posted:

The current AE is at 300 with Mamluks which is the closest Sunni nation. Qara Qoyunlu which is the next immediate neighbor has 30. Persia which is further beyond has 200 AE. The Balkan neighbors are like 13 AE. Something to do with a full annex on a Sunni nation spiked the AE to ridiculous levels. I had snatched one province up in about 30 years since I was Westernizing, Bankrupt and suffering from a Peasant War.

Lost a war which made me release them. Crimea came in and vassalized them. Venice snatched it when Poland/Lith was stomping Crimea. Typical early game Byz bullshit.

In that screenshot your diplomats are idle. Always have them be improving relations with near neighbors, even if they're enemies who are next on your hit list. That helps a bunch to tamp down coalitions in both frequency and size.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Koorisch posted:

So what would you think is a good starting idea for Sweden?

Bort Bortles posted:

Admin first; never do a military idea first unless you have a crazy good Mil ruler. When you do pick a Military Idea set, Aristocratic is bad so I would do Offensive between the two, probably Defensive first if it was me playing.

Unless you're saddled with a x/x/0 or x/x/1 you can usually get away with a military idea group first I've been finding- I nearly always set to military focus at the start of the game anyway, since getting to tech 4 before your neighbors lets you win decisive early wars.

Still I agree, as Sweden admin first- you start out with a tradition that reduces mercenary maintenance, so combined with the admin idea you can get obscenely cheap mercenaries very early on, which is when it counts the most. That plus the lowered interest for loans means a lot of the usual early game headaches are much less of a problem.

and the reduced core creation cost of course is also the strongest single idea in the game so yeah there's that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MrBling posted:

It starts when you get 3+ levels between your highest and lowest tech.
Thanks for the clarification!

Another question -- how is war exhaustion from attrition computed? To minimize this gain in war exhaustion, should I siege forts only with the minimum required number of units? Does parking more units on a fort incur higher war exhaustion from attriton?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Thanks for the clarification!

Another question -- how is war exhaustion from attrition computed? To minimize this gain in war exhaustion, should I siege forts only with the minimum required number of units? Does parking more units on a fort incur higher war exhaustion from attriton?

I don't think the exact formula is known, but yeah, you shouldn't siege with full doomstacks anyway, there's no gain to be had. You should siege with just enough troops to advance the siege (this is what the Detach Siege button does), and for the best results there should be as much artillery as possible, iirc you get the max bonus with 5 regiments per fort level. A general with siege bonuses obviously helps too. Keep the rest of your doomstack in the nearest controlled province so they can quickly intervene if the enemy threatens to attack your artillery (which would crumble extremely quickly in open battle).

And of course, if you want to avoid war exhaustion you can use mercenary infantry in the siege, so they will eat the attrition.

Finally, quickly check the garrison at every siege. If the fort was mothballed or recently conquered, the garrison might be almost empty in which case you're better off assaulting as soon as a breach opens.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You should do just enough troops + 1 so that if you roll a disease outbreak (which hurts the attackers, not defenders) you'll still be able to keep sieging.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Elotana posted:

In that screenshot your diplomats are idle. Always have them be improving relations with near neighbors, even if they're enemies who are next on your hit list. That helps a bunch to tamp down coalitions in both frequency and size.

Normally I do, I had just recalled them from boosting in Italy when I got the Coalition notices and near instant war declaration. As it stands right now I'm pretty sure I've lost all momentum and about to enter a death spiral. Suggested terms for the coalition is releasing Ottomans with every province in Asia Minor and Anatolia. :suicide: I'll just restart than deal with grinding through a full strength Ottoman again.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 18, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tendronai posted:

New dev diary, Fetishist Cults.

Works like Hindu in the sense that your ruler chooses one, game starts with three and up to 17 total unlocked through interacting with other faiths.

Could be neat, and I appreciate the dedication to giving every religion something special to do. Somehow it makes me even more interested to see what they'll come up with in EU5 or whatever, though. Religion is such a key part of diplomacy and many more mechanics, so it starts to feel like your national religion is really your national identity. That's not a complaint because religion obviously was an important part of identity for early modern countries, but I'm really eager to see what else Paradox can come up with to change things up, especially with their CK2 experience.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Finally managed to stay on a single game long enough to get a couple of achievements done :toot:
After i got the roman empire one I saw I was in a good position to quickly get the rest, but "Rags and Riches" was a big mistake. I didn't realize how hard it could be to get rid of a province without other cores, and I had an incredibly hard time getting rid of the Cape. No vassals to release, can't create custom ones overseas, I couldn't create a path to SA from my existing subjects and neither GBR or Kilwa would take it for free. So I decided to force GBR to take it in a war, but with all the new nations the game turned into a slideshow and what should have been a quick war took forever because they'd rather have all their states completely occupied forever than be forced to accept a province they didn't want. So I thought maybe if I got the war-score to 100% they'd capitulate, but they had a bunch of small islands in the pacific I had to invade, which also took a hell of a long time even when I split my armies into 5k. Then when I just had one island left a massive peasant revolt broke out and reversed most of what I'd done :negative:

That's when I realized I just wasted a bunch of time. If I just took that little enclave on the south-west tip of Africa I'd be able to connect a protectorate to the Cape. :downs:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

I don't think the exact formula is known, but yeah, you shouldn't siege with full doomstacks anyway, there's no gain to be had. You should siege with just enough troops to advance the siege (this is what the Detach Siege button does), and for the best results there should be as much artillery as possible, iirc you get the max bonus with 5 regiments per fort level. A general with siege bonuses obviously helps too. Keep the rest of your doomstack in the nearest controlled province so they can quickly intervene if the enemy threatens to attack your artillery (which would crumble extremely quickly in open battle).

And of course, if you want to avoid war exhaustion you can use mercenary infantry in the siege, so they will eat the attrition.

Finally, quickly check the garrison at every siege. If the fort was mothballed or recently conquered, the garrison might be almost empty in which case you're better off assaulting as soon as a breach opens.

Also you should have an equal number of infantry and artillery so the artillery doesn't get destroyed if the stack gets attacked.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Also you should have an equal number of infantry and artillery so the artillery doesn't get destroyed if the stack gets attacked.

Right, and you'd need a little extra to cover losses, I think, since as the infantry gets winnowed the artillery would find itself exposed.

In practice, I find, one of two things happen: either it's a critical war and you pay constant attention to what's happening on that front, in which case you field a minimal all-artillery siege army and make sure to reinforce it before any enemy can get close; or it's not a critical war and you just leave the doomstack on siege and suck up the attrition.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As long as they hold the line until reinforcements arrive you should be fine with equal numbers.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
In ideal circumstances you want to leave the minimum (+1 as mentioned for disease rolls) total troops and whatever artillery you have available for boosting siege.

Early on, artillery is pretty ineffective in battles. but i'ts useful to speed up sieges.

In the late 1500s artillery starts to become a much more effective unit on the battlefield.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

New DLC: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/europa-universalis-iv-rights-of-man-announced.963629/

Among other things, it seems like it'll add CK2-style traits to your rules. I'm interested to see how that'll work in EU4.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Looks cool, I think the only new thing other than the name is rev. republic factions? I wish they'd make the revolution come earlier so you have time to really get it rolling.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

quote:

title is about Rights of Man as human being or Rights of man as male?

e: anyway, there's also a livestream they did

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/84479843

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 19, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

quote:

Rights of MAN, YES !!! TAKE THAT FEMINISTS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks for the tips on the sieges, guys. Wish the UI would just tell you how many units are needed for a siege so you don't need to move your doomstack there then click that detach siege button. Seems like it'd be a constant number too, so there's no excuse about the game needing to recalculate endlessly.

On an unrelated note, I can't progress with my Bengal game. I'm 20 years in and the game keeps crashing on the 19th - 22th of the month. I'm using some mods, but it's odd that the crashes are happening across a range of dates. Sucks, as I was making good progress :(

• Locked thread