Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Spellman posted:

Get an Exeggutor with Seed Bomb to combat all those water pokemon. His CP is insane and is way better than any of the electric Pokemon options.

If only "getting" an exeggcutor was as easy and straightforward as getting a water eevee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Weedle at 43 cp, breaks out of Pokeball like it was Super Hydro Ultra Mewtwo with cyborg parts

Reported it as a bug. :) Fix your poo poo Niantic.

EDIT: although I dunno why I bother trying to get them to fix something kind of game breaking. Time to move on.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 19, 2016

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Neeksy posted:

What on earth international data plan are you using? I can't imagine how expensive that would be.

It actually hasn't used up that much data, and Verizon has a plan where you pay ~$10 a day to keep your data plan from the states.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Surely the local sim card rentals are cheaper than that, aren't they??

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Surely the local sim card rentals are cheaper than that, aren't they??

I used this 3 years ago in Japan, will probably use it again when I go for my own November trip: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

Just over $20 for 2 weeks of data.

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard
95% Growlithe.........and my Arcanine has Bulldoze.

:dawkins101:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

HagridOfTheLibrary posted:

95% Growlithe.........and my Arcanine has Bulldoze.

:dawkins101:

I feel you. I just evolved my first Gyarados. 97% Magikarp gets... Dragon Breath and Twister :suicide:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
in a game already filled with retarded bullshit, moveset roulette is one of the stupider mechanics to limit progress/incentivize grinding there is

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard

BrianBoitano posted:

I feel you. I just evolved my first Gyarados. 97% Magikarp gets... Dragon Breath and Twister :suicide:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not gonna lie, that killed me.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

indigi posted:

in a game already filled with retarded bullshit, moveset roulette is one of the stupider mechanics to limit progress/incentivize grinding there is

Stardust is up there too.

Even if they implement a move changing system I expect it to somehow be even worse than the current random assignment.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Maybe I'll get to see what Stockholm, Göteborg, and Malmö offer for 'mons.

I hope you like Drowzees.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Even if they implement a move changing system I expect it to somehow be even worse than the current random assignment.

1.99 for a TM that will reroll 1 attack

gyarados now has

bite and twister

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
^^maybe make it so that to reroll an attack costs the same as powering up? that wouldn't be overpowered because if you reroll it at a low level you still have to invest a lot of stardust/candy getting them to a level where they can compete in gyms, plus you may have to do it ten times either way

Shifty Pony posted:

for real. I understand the idea behind it, but it's implemented horribly. you should get it for fighting and winning at opponent's gyms, since that's primarily what you're using it to do.

indigi fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just tap faster you move babies.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Armitage posted:

Weedle at 43 cp, breaks out of Pokeball like it was Super Hydro Ultra Mewtwo with cyborg parts

EDIT: although I dunno why I bother trying to get them to fix something kind of game breaking. Time to move on.
It's not gamebreaking for a random number generator to be working as intended.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

indigi posted:

I mean, how the hell else would you tackle it? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Not make certain moves fifty times better than others, even after a "balance patch"?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

AlphaKretin posted:

Not make certain moves fifty times better than others, even after a "balance patch"?
Which moves are 50 times better than others?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Neeksy posted:

Man, I'm jealous! I'm off to Sweden next week for a month and since I'm AT&T, I'll have to get a local SIM for my phone (unlocked of course). Maybe I'll get to see what Stockholm, Göteborg, and Malmö offer for 'mons.

Stockholm has a great variety of Pokémon.

Here are some screenshots from two of my exciting hunts today!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Surprise, my unreasonably large number was an exaggeration. :thejoke: The gulf in power between given moves makes the fact that they're assigned randomly able to make or break a Pokemon, so it's up to luck if a Pokemon you've put effort into catching and evolving is any good.

This is a bad thing, if it's not clear.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Armitage posted:

Weedle are >this< close to landing on my dont-even-bother list. They block and run so often. Not even worth it to eventually evolve. Only reason I still bother at this point is because my bags are pretty much perpetually full.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
1st 10k egg was Krabby.
2nd was Aerodactyl
3rd is Lapras.

I like 10k eggs. Pity I don't have any more.

Hit up a Gastly farm last night and got about 7. 2 more today. But the park I hit this morning had ZERO sightings other than the 2 in the parking lot. Not even a Pidgey. One rat as I left. I was there an hour, maybe it takes a while to respawn in places?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Bill Barber posted:

It's not gamebreaking for a random number generator to be working as intended.

Weedles don't break out of pokeballs in the regular games at all lmao instead of breaking out at a ridiculous rate in Pokemon Go.

Tell Niantic to fix their poo poo.

Cartouche posted:

Weedle are >this< close to landing on my dont-even-bother list. They block and run so often. Not even worth it to eventually evolve. Only reason I still bother at this point is because my bags are pretty much perpetually full.

Yeah, they're pretty much fodder for lucky egg evolving for 1000xp purposes at this point. I don't even bother with them in the first place if the circle is not green. It's just pointing out how ridiculous it is that the circle is green and they still break out constantly.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 19, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I hope you like Drowzees.

Drowzies spawn like pidgeys here. And much like pidgeys, they always have abysmal IV.

Speaking of which, is PGNexus closed down?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Cartouche posted:

Drowzies spawn like pidgeys here. And much like pidgeys, they always have abysmal IV.

Speaking of which, is PGNexus closed down?
Works fine for me.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Armitage posted:

Weedles don't break out of pokeballs in the regular games at all lmao instead of breaking out at a ridiculous rate in Pokemon Go.

Tell Niantic to fix their poo poo.

Yeah, they're pretty much fodder for lucky egg evolving for 1000xp purposes at this point. I don't even bother with them in the first place if the circle is not green. It's just pointing out how ridiculous it is that the circle is green and they still break out constantly.

I believe Bill Barber may simply be trolling, and badly at that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:siren: new and improved charts to get your dicks hard :siren:

"All percentages are with respect to Snorlax's best moveset Lick / Hyper Beam which is 100%. Take these rankings into account if you do not dodge at all when battling gyms."

"All percentages are with respect to Lapras' best moveset Ice Shard / Ice Beam which is 100%"

"All percentages are with respect to Dragonite's best moveset Dragon Breath / Dragon Claw which is 100%. These rankings should be taken into account if you do and can dodge during gym battles consistently."

Source

Please note that Type Advantage (Super Effective and Not Very Effective) is a huge consideration that this chart doesn't account for:

If you're Super Effective vs someone who's NVE vs you, you can increase your e-peen by over 50%! (times 1.25 for S.E., divided by 0.8 for NVE = 156.25% of original)
e.g. Vileplume R. Leaf / Solarbeam is normally 56% vs Vaporeon's best 88.3%, but Vileplume should be counted as 87.5% (56%*1.5625), or about even if dueling Vaporeon .

This is the same result you get if you instead modify each: Vileplume gets S.E. bonus, so 1.25*56% = 70% and Vaporeon gets NVE nerf of 0.8*88.3% = 70.64%.

All of the above is using the Duel/Defense rankings since that takes into account your tankiness, and the DPS rankings don't account for the fact that you still eat poo poo even if you dodge a hyper beam.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Cartouche posted:

I believe Bill Barber may simply be trolling, and badly at that.

:haw:

They get the catch rate for evolved forms right for the most part at least. I feel like I have to work for those pokemon when I come across them and that's how it's supposed to be.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The easiest solution for the move problem is to have it be random but let you re-roll a move for less than the cost to evolve a new mon. Maybe make use of those fancy character models and offer a "Send X to Candela/Blanche/Spark for retraining?" option costing some amount of candy and in the spirit of f2p games you could even make it take a certain amount of real-world time unless you pay coins (but that would the game quite a bit more explicitly pay to win).

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Weedle is only bad because your pokeball always hits his stupid party hat, preventing great/excellent throws, but weedles aren't any harder to catch aside from that.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

The easiest solution for the move problem is to have it be random but let you re-roll a move for less than the cost to evolve a new mon. Maybe make use of those fancy character models and offer a "Send X to Candela/Blanche/Spark for retraining?" option costing some amount of candy and in the spirit of f2p games you could even make it take a certain amount of real-world time unless you pay coins (but that would the game quite a bit more explicitly pay to win).

Easiest solution would be to actually balance mons so that you would not put all eggs in one basket. What bugs the poo poo out of me is how easy it is to get water eevee. Yet to get a counter to water eevee is an exercise in frustration.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cartouche posted:

Easiest solution would be to actually balance mons so that you would not put all eggs in one basket.

"I have to catch/evolve 20 of these to find the one with the best moveset, or catch/evolve 100 of these to find one with decent IVs and the best moveset" = game depth

I'm only kind of joking.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Guys it's a free-to-play phone game with Pokemon characters.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly surprised that they aren't selling candy and ability randomizers or TMs on the shop yet

Or better yet, protein/iron/HP UP to raise IVs

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

"I have to catch/evolve 20 of these to find the one with the best moveset, or catch/evolve 100 of these to find one with decent IVs and the best moveset" = game depth

I'm only kind of joking.

I mean more that you can evolve what is decent in your area and spawns a decent amount and evolve them with a decent chance to be competitive. Places like here that Eevees are as common as pidgeys, and drowzies are even moreso common: I should be able to compete with a drowzie and not feel shoehorned into yet another lame water eevee.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Shifty Pony posted:

Somebody a while back suggested swapping out species-specific candy for type candy. That by itself would make life easier, but combine that with being able to swap a move for a cost in whatever type the move is. Maybe a lower cost for the spam move and a higher one for the charge move.

The Pokemon games have had TMs since the beginning and move tutor/rememberer/eraser NPCs for almost as long, so there's already an in-universe way to handle things.

What would also be nice would be a way to get even a hint of the IVs without external tools. Some kind of "potential power" indicator that would be like, a red-green gradient shaded icon or something. The games definitely had NPCs that would tell you stuff about your EVs, though I don't remember if there was ever a way to tell the IVs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bill Barber posted:

Guys it's a free-to-play phone game with Pokemon characters.

... said the man using an IV calculator. One of us, one of us. Gooble gobble, one of us.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

Somebody a while back suggested swapping out species-specific candy for type candy. That by itself would make life easier, but combine that with being able to swap a move for a cost in whatever type the move is. Maybe a lower cost for the spam move and a higher one for the charge move.

The Pokemon games have had TMs since the beginning and move tutor/rememberer/eraser NPCs for almost as long, so there's already an in-universe way to handle things.

What would also be nice would be a way to get even a hint of the IVs without external tools. Some kind of "potential power" indicator that would be like, a red-green gradient shaded icon or something. The games definitely had NPCs that would tell you stuff about your EVs, though I don't remember if there was ever a way to tell the IVs.

They could at least make the green/yellow/orange/red circles correspond to something other than level of RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

:siren: new and improved charts to get your dicks hard :siren:

"All percentages are with respect to Snorlax's best moveset Lick / Hyper Beam which is 100%. Take these rankings into account if you do not dodge at all when battling gyms."

"All percentages are with respect to Lapras' best moveset Ice Shard / Ice Beam which is 100%"

"All percentages are with respect to Dragonite's best moveset Dragon Breath / Dragon Claw which is 100%. These rankings should be taken into account if you do and can dodge during gym battles consistently."

Source

Please note that Type Advantage (Super Effective and Not Very Effective) is a huge consideration that this chart doesn't account for:

If you're Super Effective vs someone who's NVE vs you, you can increase your e-peen by over 50%! (times 1.25 for S.E., divided by 0.8 for NVE = 156.25% of original)
e.g. Vileplume R. Leaf / Solarbeam is normally 56% vs Vaporeon's best 88.3%, but Vileplume should be counted as 87.5% (56%*1.5625), or about even if dueling Vaporeon .

This is the same result you get if you instead modify each: Vileplume gets S.E. bonus, so 1.25*56% = 70% and Vaporeon gets NVE nerf of 0.8*88.3% = 70.64%.

All of the above is using the Duel/Defense rankings since that takes into account your tankiness, and the DPS rankings don't account for the fact that you still eat poo poo even if you dodge a hyper beam.

Again, why's this different from the spreadsheet in the OP? Energy generation? Time to use multi-bar specials? Balance patch changes?

• Locked thread