Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Luceid posted:

I'm legitimately a little bummed out when there's yet another game where Arado and Seolla, child prodigy super-soldier types, are pretty much forgettable and a chore to use. I like those two, why you gotta make me work so hard to make them feel good, game?

I never understood why they are such bad pilots. Is it supposed to be their punishment for having a combo attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Ethiser posted:

I never understood why they are such bad pilots. Is it supposed to be their punishment for having a combo attack?
Arado is one of the best pilots in the game statwise, nearly Shu-tier

But only in endgame, his stats are poo poo for most of the game

:shepface:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Luceid posted:

I'm legitimately a little bummed out when there's yet another game where Arado and Seolla, child prodigy super-soldier types, are pretty much forgettable and a chore to use. I like those two, why you gotta make me work so hard to make them feel good, game?

They're still good! Just their ace bonus is a bit finicky to use (or doesn't exist). It's like Kai's might as well read "+5% final damage for self + Gilliam when in the command aura" because they're gonna be the only two dudes in Gespensts and Gilliam's is just "delays your turn by 3 seconds for every enemy within 10 squares." Actually I guess whoever is in the Haken gets Kai's too! But he should probably be the one in it.

I'm also sad that Michiru's ace isn't super cheap Super Guts. The resupply thing makes him better at that role but I miss him being unkillable,.

Ethiser posted:

Well. Arado is bad on purpose, but tough and he eventually becomes really good. Seolla could stand to be a little better.

Rascyc posted:

Was not expecting Ashchen to do a thing during Hakens finisher.

I'm pretty sure Aschen has a unique nickname and Dynamic kill line for everybody. For Latooni she finishes it off with "Next time I'll bring my Gothloli outfit too" or something like that.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

GilliamYaeger posted:

So I've just finished playing through the 4 stage demo patch for A Portable, and drat this game is a lot more enjoyable in English, and I like what they did with Lamia's 'accent'. I'm really looking forward to the full release, which should hopefully be in the next year or so considering they've translated 41% of the game (though sadly it's unlikely we'll get a new demo patch that continues beyond the game's intro)

How do they handle it? I feel the best way to do it would be to stack random affirmative prepositions and adverbs onto the ends of her sentences.

"Enemy sighted it turns out I'm just saying actually. Commencing with mission totally for real you know."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Were any of the school pilots anything exceptional stat-wise? Latooni hangs out because of genius but I think that's it.

I don't mind twinning wuerger/falcon but it usually means giving the wuerger an optional weapon so he can counter. I think I may have used shishio blade for this before. I think I'll try them again cause I didn't use them at all in my last OGs game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So.

Final boss then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg

I'm just gonna have to weep in the corner for this one I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So.

Final boss then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg

I'm just gonna have to weep in the corner for this one I think.

What's giving you trouble?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
MD's final boss is legitimately more involved than any previous OG boss so far.

Which is to say you can't one turn it with HTB spam.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Sounds like the SRX needs an upgrade, then.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm so glad it's finally here. :allears:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rascyc posted:

Were any of the school pilots anything exceptional stat-wise? Latooni hangs out because of genius but I think that's it.

I don't mind twinning wuerger/falcon but it usually means giving the wuerger an optional weapon so he can counter. I think I may have used shishio blade for this before. I think I'll try them again cause I didn't use them at all in my last OGs game.

The Falken needs a P attack because it's only natural one is a 1 range vulcan cannon, luckily there are a million of those. The Wuerger really needs an ALL attack, longer range the better. The little missile pistol, Hyper Beam Rifle S and the Rectanglar Launcher B (new to this game) are all good options for that. Even then that sucks because Arado's range stat is complete garbage. The biggest problem with twinning them is only getting to do 1 TBS a turn and the other one not getting to attack at all if you do that and considering the main thing about Twin Bird Strike is it is dirt cheap and the most spammable team attack in the game you really want to take advantage of that. Putting them together pretty much reduces one of them to doing 2k damage a turn and giving up the best reason to deploy them in the first place. The Wuerger is also B rank in the air (until FUB) which doesn't help. I don't think the Falken is B on the ground like Angelg, but it's another thing on the pile of reasons to not twin them if you're going for more optimal stuff. Obviously the game is easy enough you can do fine even putting them together, but you're making your life a lot less easy if you do. One thing they do have going for them being together other than the crazy Will gains once aced is they both have Support Defend so unless the enemy uses an ALL attack they can take both attacks thrown at another squad.

Statwise I think Seolla is a little below Excellen and Arado is like Ibis in that he magikarps his way from mediocrity to excellence in the later levels. I think he kicks off around level 45? They changed his spell list so now he has Iron Wall which helps him out a lot when it comes to support defending. I've had a lot of success putting him with Kai so he gets +15% Hit/Evade + the effect of the command aura to shore up his accuracy and evasion to save on SP.

Is there any way to control where the sub unit gets ejected to when you split a twin? My experience is it will always drop them off in the least convenient place for twin juggling so I always end up wasting at least one person's turn.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm so glad it's finally here. :allears:

Mine isn't even being tracked in my country yet. :(

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
So what do you think they'll cover in OG3rd? Alpha 3's a given, but I'd at least like to see the DS trilogy get adapted as well, if only because L's storyline would serve as a perfect finisher for the Shadow-Mirror/Einst/Beowulf subplot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
As I understand it, MD is 3rd OGs. They just ditched the numerical naming scheme since this game was supposed to pick up new players.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

So what do you think they'll cover in OG3rd? Alpha 3's a given, but I'd at least like to see the DS trilogy get adapted as well, if only because L's storyline would serve as a perfect finisher for the Shadow-Mirror/Einst/Beowulf subplot.

I'm assuming we're going to get W (with Valzacard filling the Ideon role in Alpha 3) and probably K or L or Neo. I assume we'll get some sort of surprise like, I donno, Scramble Commander 2.

BlitzBlast posted:

As I understand it, MD is 3rd OGs. They just ditched the numerical naming scheme since this game was supposed to pick up new players.

Nah. It's as much 3rd OGs as Gaiden was 2nd. It's absolutely more a 'sidestory' game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

What's giving you trouble?

Doing damage, even with MB, is going painfully slow. Plus, I tend to prefer reals and tend to spec for evasion, so my supers are pretty hilariously weak, ditto their pilots. So when the boss is accurate enough to just plow through any evasion, it's hard going. The last few bosses I've gotten by with gratuitous overuse of the 50% all heal spirit, but the people with those tend to be my front line too so they're getting sealed.

I might need to fail this a few times to afford powering up my supers.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. It's as much 3rd OGs as Gaiden was 2nd. It's absolutely more a 'sidestory' game.

Its even got a group of awesome overpowered alien mecha who gently caress off to parts unknown at the end of the game, probably never to be seen again!

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm assuming we're going to get W (with Valzacard filling the Ideon role in Alpha 3) and probably K or L or Neo. I assume we'll get some sort of surprise like, I donno, Scramble Commander 2.

That's not what the staff said. It's the third game according to pre-release interviews.

Plus, unlike OG Gaiden, it's the fourth episode, not 3.5.

KoB
May 1, 2009
It will be interesting to see how they handle the time jump in W. Could be a good excuse to shake things up. Only gotta wait 4 years!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Doing damage, even with MB, is going painfully slow. Plus, I tend to prefer reals and tend to spec for evasion, so my supers are pretty hilariously weak, ditto their pilots. So when the boss is accurate enough to just plow through any evasion, it's hard going. The last few bosses I've gotten by with gratuitous overuse of the 50% all heal spirit, but the people with those tend to be my front line too so they're getting sealed.

I might need to fail this a few times to afford powering up my supers.

A few things you should do:

Give Leona or Rai your Armor Breaker (preferably Leona) and have her use Smite and then attack with it. That will massively debuff the enemy's armor.
If you have Excellen or Aschen deployed use their Dishearten spirit to reduce his morale which has a tremendous impact on his combat abilities.
When he does his "power up" thing and uses Iron Wall on himself stop attacking. Just let the round end. You're going to eat a LOT more damage from counterattacks after that point but most of those buffs will wear off the next round and the one that doesn't (Flash/Alert/whatever) will go after the first attack you do so save a crappy attack (battleship maybe?) for that.
Remember that some pilots can undo sealing. Kusuha is the optimal deploy for that because she has a super-cheap spell that recovers status effects. So does the Granteed's locked subpilot.

The last is the most important. You'll sacrifice your turn but attacking after he powers up is a HUGE downside.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I haven't played MD, but it seems like the problem with Arado in it is that he already did the starting-weak-becoming-strong-over-the-course-of-the-game thing. There were plot reasons for it. He hadn't been trained to play to his strengths. Now though, he is trained. By this point he should start good and stay good.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'd say they main problem here, that you didnt have in OG2, is that you have enough supers to basically fill out a team, all the main slots at least. Why use a slow rear end real robot with a little armor when you can just go the whole way and get the invincibility and firepower of a super robot?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

I'd say they main problem here, that you didnt have in OG2, is that you have enough supers to basically fill out a team, all the main slots at least. Why use a slow rear end real robot with a little armor when you can just go the whole way and get the invincibility and firepower of a super robot?

Because most of the 'real robots' hit as hard as a super robot but instead of tanking attacks just avoid the damage entirely. I mean Calvina alone is probably one of the singularly most broken units in the game.

The line between Real and Super in MD is rail-thin anyway.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ok how on earth am I supposed to get the SR Point in Stage 3 Space.

Two turns to kill four enemies. I have to use one turn to approach and only three get in range.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Ok how on earth am I supposed to get the SR Point in Stage 3 Space.

Two turns to kill four enemies. I have to use one turn to approach and only three get in range.

You need to use Ing and Ryoto. Both of them have a twin spell that applies Accelerate + Assault to the units. Twin them with whoever your best attackers are. (One of whom is probably Calvina.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can casually fix Arad's stats with a small amount of PP, it's not really a problem. You can call it a tax if you want. Wuerger and Falcon just don't complement each other and the complaint was more that their ace bonus requires them to be deployed together.

You can fix all of that stuff ofc, it's just work and more clicks. It's kind of like Gilliam's ace bonus slowing the game a tiny bit, it's just annoying.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

You need to use Ing and Ryoto. Both of them have a twin spell that applies Accelerate + Assault to the units. Twin them with whoever your best attackers are. (One of whom is probably Calvina.)

And I had not paid attention to Twin Spells at all. Figuring they were too expensive to use early game.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

KoB posted:

It will be interesting to see how they handle the time jump in W. Could be a good excuse to shake things up. Only gotta wait 4 years!

Yeah I'm really hoping it's not gonna be 4 years. If they could do OG: The Trailers in 2018 that'd be real nice. Moon Dwellers feels like it has a lot of stuff that is pure set up compared to 2ndOG.

Montegoraon posted:

I haven't played MD, but it seems like the problem with Arado in it is that he already did the starting-weak-becoming-strong-over-the-course-of-the-game thing. There were plot reasons for it. He hadn't been trained to play to his strengths. Now though, he is trained. By this point he should start good and stay good.

He's fine. Maybe a slightly higher baseline, but he's fine. It's interesting for people to have different power curves. Ibis does it too and Renton and Loran did it in Z1 iirc. The only problem is the ace requiring them to be twinned which doesn't work well for them at all. Like Rascyc says you can work with it, it's just annoying.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hope the next one takes some time cause I was dumb and bought this game twice :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

And I had not paid attention to Twin Spells at all. Figuring they were too expensive to use early game.

They're very expensive but basically required for several SR points.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think the "defend these Feddies" missions are actually impossible without Confuse.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Because most of the 'real robots' hit as hard as a super robot but instead of tanking attacks just avoid the damage entirely. I mean Calvina alone is probably one of the singularly most broken units in the game.

I meant the 'Burg specifically, not all reals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I think the "defend these Feddies" missions are actually impossible without Confuse.

They're technically possible (enemies don't have a 100% hit rate) but the sheer amount of savescumming involved would make you want to jab a knife in your eye.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

There's a line, it's just not damage output, because damage output is a baseline requirement. Units that have something else good enough to make up for not being able to drop Valor Maxbreak Combination (cheap High Rouse/Confuse/Bonds, probably) are the exception.

Z did the best at distinguishing them because Reals moved in groups and did damage in aggregate while Supers plodded around with their assistants. OG doesn't have that. Everyone has to be able to move fast and hit hard, regardless of how they survive and whether they're primarily EN or ammo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OG's dividing line between Supers and Reals seems to basically be "is it garishly colored and kind of tanky? It's a Super! Is it more plain and probably used by a military pilot? It's a Real!"

Even then you've got the Soulsaber which is explicitly the prototype for a mass-production super robot. Which to be honest I kind of want to see in the new OG game. A mass-production single-pilot Soulsaber that doesn't have the backpack would be a neat unit to get.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
What about all the super robots in use by the military, such as the Giganscudo, Grungust, and SRX?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I don't have a lot of OG experience beyond the GBA games and I always just looked at their Armor/Mobility stats in the upgrade menu then started ticking them upwards and if the numbers got higher in Armor then oh they're a Super. Then again I don't exactly have to look twice at the Grungust series or Granteed or whoever and go "maybe they're reals????" its pretty obvious.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

MarsDragon posted:

What about all the super robots in use by the military, such as the Giganscudo, Grungust, and SRX?

The Grungust and SRX definitely both fit the 'garishly coloured and kind of tanky' description.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well i just learned about this and I'm getting a ps4 just for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ElMaligno posted:

Well i just learned about this and I'm getting a ps4 just for this game.
ONE OF US

• Locked thread