Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Davros1 posted:

I find it funny that some of the people I follow on Twitter who are vehemently defending this casting by saying ANYONE who disagrees with it is racist, not a single one of them was championing Marvel making a movie about the black female Capt Marvel. Nope, they were all sooooooo thrilled that Brie Larson was cast instead.

Everyone knows that a truly progressive movie needs to star a young, white woman. Try to keep up :smug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Elfgames posted:

pretty sure nolan batman ends with "batman sucks, bruce should go live on an island and be happy"

A sense of closure doesn't mean you hate the character.

I mean hell, for a comic (albeit different character) example, All Star Superman ends with him chilling in the sun. Yeah maybe he'll be back eventually but dude is gone for the near future.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Nobody gave a poo poo about Heimdall, who is a minor supporting character in the Thor books. A few people did protest, but I think it was on principle, not because they are huge Thor nerds or they actually worship the Norse gods. Mary Jane, by contrast is a major supporting character, and one fans have always known as a white redhead. It's not even racism. Fans reacted positively to Rags Morales once they understood that Peter Parker would continue appearing in other ongoing books.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Kurzon posted:

Nobody gave a poo poo about Heimdall, who is a minor supporting character in the Thor books. A few people did protest, but I think it was on principle, not because they are huge Thor nerds or they actually worship the Norse gods.

What principle?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Natalie Portman says she is finished with her role in the MCU.

Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgård are also both not in Thor 3.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looking like the best Thor so far.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Hat Thoughts posted:

What principle?
"Blackwashing white characters is reverse racism."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

Haha, what a lovely principle.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thank loving God.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Kurzon posted:

wtf does that even mean

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

wtf does that even mean

All castings of minority actors as historically white characters are automatically motivated by racism. We're right in the middle of a white genocide, don't you get it?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Kurzon posted:

Nobody gave a poo poo about Heimdall, who is a minor supporting character in the Thor books. A few people did protest, but I think it was on principle, not because they are huge Thor nerds or they actually worship the Norse gods. Mary Jane, by contrast is a major supporting character, and one fans have always known as a white redhead. It's not even racism. Fans reacted positively to Rags Morales once they understood that Peter Parker would continue appearing in other ongoing books.

Yeah, nah, that's still racism.

Reserving the right to hate a creative decision until the character is either subservient or so long as you can have some assurance that a 'white role' hasn't been disappeared from the canon is racism.

Remember, there's a difference between racial prejudice - which is just the superficial and often misinformed assumption about a particular social group - and racism, which is an ideological hierarchy of values predicated on race.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

All castings of minority actors as historically white characters are automatically motivated by racism. We're right in the middle of a white genocide, don't you get it?
I just don't understand what that's supposed to mean, like, casting non-white actors in roles originally portrayed as white is in fact it's own form of racism because ?????? <--- last extremely advanced step that I don't understand

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

I just don't understand what that's supposed to mean, like, casting non-white actors in roles originally portrayed as white is in fact it's own form of racism because ?????? <--- last extremely advanced step that I don't understand

Its racism because its impossible that a minority could be cast in a traditionally white role just because they are a good actor and the director/studio thinks they are right for the part. It must be that the director wanted to gently caress with people by not casting a white person, that's the only possible motivation.

Its the classic case of racists projecting their own twisted worldview onto others.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Its racism because its impossible that a minority could be cast in a traditionally white role just because they are a good actor and the director/studio thinks they are right for the part. It must be that the director wanted to gently caress with people by not casting a white person, that's the only possible motivation.

Its the classic case of racists projecting their own twisted worldview onto others.

I'm really just trying to walk through their statement here honestly, is it like - all things being equal, a white actor would be better (because white ppl are inherently better actors?) but out of a desire for attention/some rly dope new type of racism that involves minorities getting more opportunities the director instead chose to cast a black person who is a worse actor (because black ppl are inherently worse actors?). So it's to the detriment of the film because instead of getting a good actor (white) they chose to get a worse actor (non-white)?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'm really just trying to walk through their statement here honestly, is it like - all things being equal, a white actor would be better (because white ppl are inherently better actors?) but out of a desire for attention/some rly dope new type of racism that involves minorities getting more opportunities the director instead chose to cast a black person who is a worse actor (because black ppl are inherently worse actors?). So it's to the detriment of the film because instead of getting a good actor (white) they chose to get a worse actor (non-white)?

it's basically the same argument people have been using against affirmative action for decades.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's basically the same argument people have been using against affirmative action for decades.

I feel like I'm missing the step where it matters that the character was originally white.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hat Thoughts posted:

There's also some "canon" aspects too, like "Peter Parker must be white because he's always been white. You can invent a new guy who's explicitly not Peter Parker and he can be non-white, but there can never be a black family named Parker the names their kid Peter and he later grows up to be Spider-Man".

There were similar reactions when I asked why Hal Jordan couldn't be black. "Because we have a black Green Lantern already!"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, nah, that's still racism.
Apologies, my language was clumsy. The people who objected to Heimdall's blackwashing on principle were probably racist. But most fans, those who objected to Johnny Storm and now Mary Jane being blackwashed, are not racist. They just want their beloved characters to remain true to what they know.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Kurzon posted:

Apologies, my language was clumsy. The people who objected to Heimdall's blackwashing on principle were probably racist. But most fans, those who objected to Johnny Storm and now Mary Jane being blackwashed, are not racist. They just want their beloved characters to remain true to what they know.

What about being non-white is untrue 2 the characters? also..."blackwashing"...?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My favorites are the people who claim Mary Jane is only defined by her red hair. "She has no other traits therefore she has to have the iconic red hair!!"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
You have to understand that when a social group's perspective is privileged for so long and so broadly, for a large portion of the population (even for people who aren't in that social group!) it ferments this really fragile sense that any loss is "discrimination."

The big joke being that of course there's discrimination, but that discrimination isn't always bad. Like, of course affirmative action is discrimination, but it's discrimination in favor of historical disenfranchised groups, so who gives a gently caress? Similarly, if we take for granted that Jon Watts isn't colorblind and he really did have this thought, "Wow, a black Mary Jane, that would be really cool," that would be discrimination, but that still wouldn't make it racist or morally wrong.

Kurzon posted:

Colorblindness is racism.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurzon posted:

But most fans, those who objected to Johnny Storm and now Mary Jane being blackwashed, are not racist. They just want their beloved characters to remain true to what they know.

Nah that's still racist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

If you think the race of Peter Parker or Mary Jane is important enough that changing it means not being "true" to the characters, that's racist. Its a form of racism that lacks self-awareness but that's probably the worst kind.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Davros1 posted:

I find it funny that some of the people I follow on Twitter who are vehemently defending this casting by saying ANYONE who disagrees with it is racist, not a single one of them was championing Marvel making a movie about the black female Capt Marvel. Nope, they were all sooooooo thrilled that Brie Larson was cast instead.

Wait, to clarify, you're a hypocrite if you support a decision to cast a minority actress, but don't simultaneously demand that all other roles ever also be cast as minorities?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The funniest thing is when fans actually attempt to defend their colorblindness, like by saying "Hey, I would be just as upset if Mary Jane was blonde!" Because, like, that's exactly the same, and making it clear that your fetishism is actually ultra-irrational makes it look less racist when you don't want Miles Morales "taking Peter Parker's job."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
U telling me this character's name is Mary Jane but she doesn't smoke weed?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My dad always used to buy us Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck comics and similar when we were kids but never superhero comics except for a few issues of Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham so it's always a little weird to me when I see her depicted as a human and not a water buffalo. That not my Mary Jane. :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The funniest thing is when fans actually attempt to defend their colorblindness, like by saying "Hey, I would be just as upset if Mary Jane was blonde!" Because, like, that's exactly the same, and making it clear that your fetishism is actually ultra-irrational makes it look less racist when you don't want Miles Morales "taking Peter Parker's job."

Look when I watch a spiderman movie I expect my fetishes to be catered to, got it?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Amid the Zendaya/MJ stuff, Tiffany Espensen, a Chinese-American actress was cast as "Cindy". Fingers crossed that this is Cindy Moon aka Silk (though I thought it would have been cool that Anna Akana's super fly writer chick was Cindy the time frames don't match up)

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Basebf555 posted:

If you think the race of Peter Parker or Mary Jane is important enough that changing it means not being "true" to the characters, that's racist. Its a form of racism that lacks self-awareness but that's probably the worst kind.

I get where you're coming from, but I think there's an overlap in racists that cry foul and those that would be just as upset about Superman losing his red trunks. Some people are really hung up on things your average person doesn't care about when it comes to film.

It can be hard to tell the two apart.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If her hair is red in the movie and people still bitch about her being black, that's when you can tell the real racists from the idiots.

I really kind of wish we could get the original Mary Jane's character without the baggage it was weighed down with. A super feminist character who wasn't going to put up with any poo poo, but without the writing and understanding of some dudes from the 70s.

That'd REALLY gently caress with the morons who just want her as a fetish idol.

It's a big reason why I'm annoyed about this being the Ultimate take on the character- there she's way less of a force of personality and way more 'perfect love interest for Peter'

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Super feminist? Wasn't she just a shallow party girl who agreed to date Parker on a lark, and in fact put up with lots of poo poo when she didn't know he was Spider-man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kurzon posted:

On the Nerdist FB page I've seen the "I'm not racist but" statement used 50+ times as well as the word "Negress." It's still people being racist.

I love this casting because Zendaya has a cool name and she looks like she could grow up to be a super model. Just give her a single red streak in her hair to shut up the whiners and we're going to go.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
To be fair, the only defining characteristic of Mary Jane for the majority of her time since being introduced in 1965 has been that she was the redhead that Peter likes (Gwen Stacey was always blonde, and Betty Brandt was always a brunette/black-haired person). None of the women in Peter's life really had any more depth than that.

It's why there were so many jokes that Emma Stone should have been re-introduced as a redhead named Mary Jane after the Gwen Stacey character finally died in a Spider-man movie (with nobody ever commenting on their similar physical appearance in-movie).

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Batman and Gordon are actively working against the corruption. It would be ridiculous to assume they didn't. There's even a comic that's all about the group of cops that Gordon hand picked. Wasn't a big part of Dark Knight about how they were working with Dent to ferret out corruption? And what do you suggest Batman do, create his own super prison? The fact that all Batman does is turn them in to the authorities is a good thing. Also a Batman that kills has no logical reason to leave the Joker alive so that whole interaction doesn't make much sense.

Note the contradiction: a vigilante fighting for the law. The resolution to the cognitive dissonance is to believe that Batman, a wealthy criminal obsessed with a childhood trauma less severe than that carried by the average poor person in Gotham, is above the people he assaults because he stops short of killing them. Yet he'll never succeed in "working against the corruption" because it feels good to terrify thugs and break their limbs, both for Batman and for fans enjoying a certain kind of power fantasy. Batman needs his world to exist, and he'll never solve Gotham's problems because that would end the fun.

The only good portrayal of Batman I can think of off the top of my head--good as in he's genuinely a good guy trying to make a difference--is Batman '66, a legally deputized member of the Gotham PD who obsessively follows the letter of the law. The first episode is about Batman receiving a lawsuit after being tricked into falsely arresting the Riddler.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Just name her Makayla Jane to please the fans. Let them think Mary Jane is in the setting somewhere, studying in Vancouver or something.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
When I saw Civil War in the theater, two preteens sitting behind me were aghast and appalled that a young petite nerdy dude was playing Peter Parker

Comic Books bring out the worst in all human life. Who would've thought.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

When I saw Civil War in the theater, two preteens sitting behind me were aghast and appalled that a young petite nerdy dude was playing Peter Parker

Comic Books bring out the worst in all human life. Who would've thought.

U got a real optimistic world view if that's the worst in human life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Just name her Makayla Jane to please the fans. Let them think Mary Jane is in the setting somewhere, studying in Vancouver or something.

Do the Jimmy Olsen thing and make Mary Jane a codename used by CIA SHIELD agents planted to keep tabs on Peter.

• Locked thread