Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I love that this expansion is gonna oust every person that does not know about "La Charte Des Droits De l'Homme".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Vegetable posted:

Wish the UI would just tell you how many units are needed for a siege so you don't need to move your doomstack there then click that detach siege button.

It's 3k troops for every fort level, so at the start of the game its 6k men for a normal fort, 3k for just a capital, and 9k for a capital with a fort.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

I love that this expansion is gonna oust every person that does not know about "La Charte Des Droits De l'Homme".

Thomas Paine was the original MRA.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Watched the stream:

$20 price point, same as Art of War/ Cossacks

They hinted that Queens sometimes don't want to give up power after they're regent? :iiam:

Ruler traits affect AI behavior

Institution spread at the start, i.e. which areas start out with a tech malus:

although the Americas get a bigger malus I think? They showed a different screen for tech speed and it showed the Americas as a darker color than the rest of the world.
They showed off some of the stuff that affects its spread too, I saw estates were part of it, nice to see those are still getting integrated. Institutions look like the best new feature since autonomy, I'm really excited for this.

Subject screen changed too, now you have a couple of new interactions for wars, plus IMO more importantly, can easily see their balance, so it'll be a heck of a lot easier to work out how to subsidize.

New loan interface:

plus now a little interaction that lets you trade corruption for money, so basically short term money for having to pay it down over the long term? I guess as an alternate to a loan sometimes that might be alright, if you don't wanna have to take out a mega-loan, since it has no impact on inflation. Seems a bit redundant though. Maybe there's something about it I'm not understanding.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The amount of DLC features they've shown so far do not seem remotely comparable to The Cossacks (which was overpriced), let alone to Art of War (which was more fairly priced). They seem more in line with Mare Nostrum, and that was already wildly unpopular at a lower price.

This is looking like a 2017 purchase on a 66% off sale.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Changing the entire technology system is a pretty big difference. This also adds stuff like declaring war during regencies and ruler traits that people have been asking for for a while. I don't think any of these DLCs is priced super well at $20, but comparing it to Mare Nostrum is over the top in my opinion.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

plus now a little interaction that lets you trade corruption for money, so basically short term money for having to pay it down over the long term? I guess as an alternate to a loan sometimes that might be alright, if you don't wanna have to take out a mega-loan, since it has no impact on inflation. Seems a bit redundant though. Maybe there's something about it I'm not understanding.

With loans you pay interest in money, with currency debasement you pay interest in monarch points (by way of corruption increasing the monarch point cost of everything). That's the key difference.

This also gives Espionage ideas another bump, since that comes with -0.1% yearly corruption.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

Changing the entire technology system is a pretty big difference. This also adds stuff like declaring war during regencies and ruler traits that people have been asking for for a while. I don't think any of these DLCs is priced super well at $20, but comparing it to Mare Nostrum is over the top in my opinion.

The technology system overhaul is part of the free patch, and I'm pretty sure that declaring war during regencies is, too. But I don't think that we have all of the details for the expansion yet, so I don't think that it's wise to pass judgement on it right now

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

skasion posted:

To me it just feels like diminishing returns at this point, I've played the poo poo out of EU4 for years and it has changed a ton since release, a lot of posters would call what we've got now EU5.

Maybe it's the same amount of content and developer time as other similarly priced patches, but relatively speaking it's just kinda "eh" to me. Game is huge and I own all the other DLCs, paying $20 for another small bite isn't very enticing to me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

QuarkJets posted:

With loans you pay interest in money, with currency debasement you pay interest in monarch points (by way of corruption increasing the monarch point cost of everything). That's the key difference.

This also gives Espionage ideas another bump, since that comes with -0.1% yearly corruption.

I get what youre saying but most of the time you don't wanna sit at corruption over 0, and the way to pay it down is with money- just like one of the bigger costs with taking conventional loans is actually the inflation.

Stuff like espionage changes the dynamics though, you're right. it'd be nice if that were integrated into some national ideas too so you could abuse these features with certain countries.

Also re: price this one seems relatively fair to me, at least as far as any of the $20 ones have been. People look back to Art of War as the gold standard, but it actually had relatively little in the DLC its self- mostly quality of life stuff, and the league war. This one has great powers, 2 new religious mechanics, plus monarch traits along with a whole bunch of minor stuff. I dunno if it's just the way I play but even beyond quantity, the features in this seem a lot more valuable to me since they're gonna actually play a central role in the game and be relevant throughout, unlike stuff like condotierri and Barbary raiding which is only occasionally relevant.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I want to know how the subject interactions work. If you can do things like force-attach stacks or instruct them to merc up it would be a pretty big quality of life improvement for having vassals.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-rights-of-man

quote:

* Great Powers now have special diplomatic abilities: Don’t let your development lag while you expand, so you can make use of new threats and overtures to neighbors.

* Personalities and traits for monarchs and military leaders will add bonuses to your nation or assist you in battle

* Queens can be generated by royal marriages, and serve as regents if an underage heir ascends to the throne

* Subject nations can be given more specific instructions on how to behave at war

* Fetishist nations can choose from a number of cults, and uncover new options as they wage war and make alliances

* Coptic nations will be tasked with preserving their faith through the control of holy sites throughout the near east

* Other Features, including a new faction system for Revolutionary Republics, a unique new government form for the Ottoman Empire, the ability to abdicate, allowing building in subject states, and debasing currency for quick cash.

The first one sounds supremely interesting to me, if it actually helps with building tall.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i'm excited to hit 'debase currency' every few years as a country with corruption-reducing ideas and/or an hre country (perpetually up-to-date on admin/diplo & getting free corruption reduction from that)

i'm also very excited for a 'debase currency' option which has nothing to do with inflation (!?)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

THE BAR posted:

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-rights-of-man

The first one sounds supremely interesting to me, if it actually helps with building tall.

I think that one means "You're going to want to sink points into development so you stay a Great Power and use the GP exclusive diplo options"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's a start!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

i'm excited to hit 'debase currency' every few years as a country with corruption-reducing ideas and/or an hre country (perpetually up-to-date on admin/diplo & getting free corruption reduction from that)

i'm also very excited for a 'debase currency' option which has nothing to do with inflation (!?)

Would be really surprised if debasing didn't also increase inflation

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
^iirc they said explicitly in the stream that it doesn't, counter intuitive as that is

Great powers are based on score which is highly correlated but not totally linked to how blobby you play. One of the biggest factors actually is tech, which is gonna be a lot easier for tall teams to keep up with now since bigger teams have to wait for the institutions to spread over their country more.

actually one thing I forgot to mention that will actually be good for tall teams- they said you get a 5% boost to institution spread in a prodince if you develop it? Or something like that? I don't remember exactly but most of the boost numbers are like 0.2% so it seemed pretty significant.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what would you suggest me getting on my third Idea group, I already got Offensive and Administrative, should I get a diplo idea now or should I get Quality instead?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
What country are you, what are your neighbors like, your tech, do you have coastline, how good is your monarch, how strong are your rivals

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Koramei posted:

What country are you, what are your neighbors like, your tech, do you have coastline, how good is your monarch, how strong are your rivals

Sweden, annexed Novgorod before Muscovy got it, got 9/9/9 tech right now (the highest possible right now at year 1519) I have coastlines, I got a 6/5/6 ruler (pretty lucky!) and my rivals are Muscovy, Teutonic order and Denmark, the only one that is a problem right now would possibly be Muscovy but I'm catching up to him in FL and with my superiour troops he's gonna get creamed unless he rolls a bullshit 5/1/2/2 general again. (:argh:)

Also how good is Mercantile, should take as much as I can get? I just got the 5+ for -1 stability event.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koorisch posted:

Sweden, annexed Novgorod before Muscovy got it, got 9/9/9 tech right now (the highest possible right now at year 1519) I have coastlines, I got a 6/5/6 ruler (pretty lucky!) and my rivals are Muscovy, Teutonic order and Denmark, the only one that is a problem right now would possibly be Muscovy but I'm catching up to him in FL and with my superiour troops he's gonna get creamed unless he rolls a bullshit 5/1/2/2 general again. (:argh:)

Also how good is Mercantile, should take as much as I can get? I just got the 5+ for -1 stability event.

If you have extra points, buying Mercantilism isn't completely terrible but you're probably better spending it on some development or something.

In your situation you are lucky enough to be able to take a second military idea early, if you want, but I would take Defensive and save Quality for later. The Morale is huge hugely important, especially when wiping out larger numbers of poorer-quality troops (like Muscovy), and Sweden doesn't get Morale in their National Ideas.

If you're having problems with Aggressive Expansion, maybe take Influence instead.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah seconding defensive, the extra attrition + less attrition for you is hugely helpful in the arctic hellholes you'll be fighting in too.

I nearly always go for Mercantilism, it's a fairly minor bonus individually but sticks around the entire game and adds up, if you're planning on relying on trade at all (which you should be, always) then it's very good. If you have Mare Nostrum it's worth 100 diplo points, so that stability for 5 is basically trading 100 admin for 500 diplo points.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koramei posted:

Yeah seconding defensive, the extra attrition + less attrition for you is hugely helpful in the arctic hellholes you'll be fighting in too.

I nearly always go for Mercantilism, it's a fairly minor bonus individually but sticks around the entire game and adds up, if you're planning on relying on trade at all (which you should be, always) then it's very good. If you have Mare Nostrum it's worth 100 diplo points, so that stability for 5 is basically trading 100 admin for 500 diplo points.

Also it's worth noting that Mercantilism only affects your owned provinces and not light ships. If you have a bunch of Trade Centers then Mercantilism is going to do a lot of work for you, since that's where all the province tradepower is. As Sweden if you can grab nice trade provinces like Neva, Riga, Danzig, and make a move into Northern Germany to provinces like Hamburg and Lubeck then Mercantilism is fantastic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can buy merc? Is that a paid feature for Mare Nostrum or what?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Also it's worth noting that Mercantilism only affects your owned provinces and not light ships. If you have a bunch of Trade Centers then Mercantilism is going to do a lot of work for you, since that's where all the province tradepower is. As Sweden if you can grab nice trade provinces like Neva, Riga, Danzig, and make a move into Northern Germany to provinces like Hamburg and Lubeck then Mercantilism is fantastic.

Ah, I've already stolen Neva and Danzig, Riga's next in line as soon as I get Muscovy ground to dust!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

skasion posted:

You can buy merc? Is that a paid feature for Mare Nostrum or what?

Yes, paid feature for Mare Nostrum. It's 100 diplo points for 1% Merc

Koorisch posted:

Ah, I've already stolen Neva and Danzig, Riga's next in line as soon as I get Muscovy ground to dust!

Mercantilism is a good spot to burn diplo points, then. Also see if you can start expanding into northern Germany, the Lubeck node is a fantastic place to set up shop.

Another good use of extra diplo points is buying production development in your special copper province, is it Dalaskogen? One of them gets a hugeass modifier to copper production and you'll want to build it up with a Workshop and Manufactory eventually.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 20, 2016

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Mercantilism is a good spot to burn diplo points, then. Also see if you can start expanding into northern Germany, the Lubeck node is a fantastic place to set up shop.

Another good use of extra diplo points is buying production development in your special copper province, is it Dalaskogen? One of them gets a hugeass modifier to copper production and you'll want to build it up with a Workshop and Manufactory eventually.

Yeah, I got the Merc since it's good, Lubeck has gotten pretty big, they've eaten about 6 provinces already from the south-south-east so I don't want to bother them too much.

I have spent quite a bit into the copper mine since it's worth it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koorisch posted:

Yeah, I got the Merc since it's good, Lubeck has gotten pretty big, they've eaten about 6 provinces already from the south-south-east so I don't want to bother them too much.

It can be kind of tough diplomatically, but you should absolutely look to conquer the North German provinces. Lubeck is kind of scary but that's mostly because they're rich as gently caress; your Swedish troops can overpower them.

I would suggest stomping Muscovy then turning your attention to the Lubeck trade node, it's about the best you can do.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Based on my experience from the other side (as the Hansa and Lubeck), a 6 province Lubeck has no hope against starting-borders Sweden even if they are rich and a player, let alone an AI against an expansionist player Sweden. North German states tend to have shallow manpower pools - you should be able to roll them unless they've got a bunch of friends.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Woah, I really got the ball rolling on the PU train apparently, managed to defeat Poland into one and got Lithuania as a bonus and now I just got Bohemia from the ruler dying without a heir!

Was a bit frightening though, I managed to fight off Poland, Lithuania AND Bohemia at the same time, did even see a 90k stack while I was in Poland but thankfully they broke up into manageble pieces, thank god for the cheaper mercenaries!

So yeah, I own eastern Europe. :whatup:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any advice or ideas (or mod suggestions) that would make for a more interesting tribal situation once the New World is discovered? I'm editing a CKII save I ported over, and figured I'd like it if the AI finds something unexpected when they get there.

I know I could probably mod a couple of tribes to have High American as their technology...but is there some way to make them likely and able to colonize their adjacent provinces? I feel like at some point they start doing that on their own, but I don't really know much about how tribes play.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Any advice or ideas (or mod suggestions) that would make for a more interesting tribal situation once the New World is discovered? I'm editing a CKII save I ported over, and figured I'd like it if the AI finds something unexpected when they get there.

I know I could probably mod a couple of tribes to have High American as their technology...but is there some way to make them likely and able to colonize their adjacent provinces? I feel like at some point they start doing that on their own, but I don't really know much about how tribes play.

If you give them colonists right off the bat and enough income to start colonizing then they'll probably go about doing that from the start. You could also beef up the development of North American provinces, to give them more of a fighting chance

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

If you give them colonists right off the bat and enough income to start colonizing then they'll probably go about doing that from the start. You could also beef up the development of North American provinces, to give them more of a fighting chance

How do I start someone off with a colonist? I get how to give someone an explorer off the bat since those are leader units, but I'm not sure how you add colonists or those type of bonus 'actors'

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

How do I start someone off with a colonist? I get how to give someone an explorer off the bat since those are leader units, but I'm not sure how you add colonists or those type of bonus 'actors'

If I understand your question, you don't.. colonial nations will always be slow as poo poo with colonizing. You can't grant colonists to colonial nations, so mostly you want to subsidize them so they can colonize (slowly) on their own. 2-3 ducats a month is probably fine.

As I've posted before, colonial nations give you 50% of their trade power, an extra merchant at 10 provinces, and that's about it.

edit: sending a Conquistador to search for the Seven Cities will give you a ton of monarch points, so do that ASAP

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

2 Related questions on converting CK2 to EU4:

-CK2 seems to convert a lot of different EU4 cultures into "German", "Italian", and so on. I'm trying to think if there's a real benefit to the work of going in and editing things to "Saxon", "Austrian", and so forth. Like, for the HRE every sub-German group pretty much accepts every other German group, so it doesn't seem to make much of a difference usually? I guess it'd have some importance if France tries to conquer all of Germany because it'd mean German became the dominate culture instead of French culture being ahead of Rheinish/Saxon/Bavarian/etc?

-When I read some of Wiz's old LPs, he'd talk about giving missions to AI countries (like Burgundy had a mission to re-form France)- are there any guides in how to give the AI some guidance like that?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
To give natives a colonist, you'd have to go into each native team's ideas and add a colonist to the starting traditions. I guess maybe you could tie it to their religion somehow? I haven't tried religion modding personally but I imagine it's fairly straight forward, just maybe add colonist instead of the usual stuff like tolerance of heathens or whatever.

Same culture group isn't quite as strong as accepted culture (30% penalties iirc), so there would be a difference if you edited it more thoroughly. Whether that's worth the time commitment is up to you.

Add the flag "ai_mission = yes" when you make missions, and the AI will get them. Just take a look at the missions in the game files (steamapps\common\Europa Universalis IV\missions) for clues as to how to make them. Most of EU4 modding is like that, by the way. There are guides for some stuff but the best way to approach it is to look in the game files/ other mods and look at how they do it. It's very simple once you get started.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

^^ Thanks- makes sense and I think that's my plan on the Native issue. I'd just give 4-5 natives the 'special sauce' ideas and technology, and leave the rest as is.

Pellisworth posted:

If I understand your question, you don't.. colonial nations will always be slow as poo poo with colonizing. You can't grant colonists to colonial nations, so mostly you want to subsidize them so they can colonize (slowly) on their own. 2-3 ducats a month is probably fine.

As I've posted before, colonial nations give you 50% of their trade power, an extra merchant at 10 provinces, and that's about it.

edit: sending a Conquistador to search for the Seven Cities will give you a ton of monarch points, so do that ASAP

Not exactly my question :)

I'm more looking to figure out way(s) to give some of the New World tribes a variety of small 'leg ups' so they can be a bit more interesting/challenging when the Old World reaches their shores. I know I could boost their technology group, and I guess make them not tribal in terms of ideas they can take? But more-so I'd like to give them some ability to expand beyond their starting province...which I'm not certain they usually do.

Looking at http://www.eu4wiki.com/Tribal_nation#Native_ideas...maybe the best solution is to give a few tribes their own custom version of the 'Native Ideas' that gives them a colonist as one of their first rewards? That plus giving them a toned-down version of high-american technology (maybe in line with Muslim Tech's 40% penalty) would make them have some potential without turning the New World in to Sunset Invasion 2.0?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

You would want to give the AI a colonist as a tradition so they have it right away and also make sure they have a surplus money to afford the colonist. My guess would be an event that would increase their monthly income, because lump sums do not do the trick.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

^^ Thanks- makes sense and I think that's my plan on the Native issue. I'd just give 4-5 natives the 'special sauce' ideas and technology, and leave the rest as is.

Not exactly my question :)

I'm more looking to figure out way(s) to give some of the New World tribes a variety of small 'leg ups' so they can be a bit more interesting/challenging when the Old World reaches their shores. I know I could boost their technology group, and I guess make them not tribal in terms of ideas they can take? But more-so I'd like to give them some ability to expand beyond their starting province...which I'm not certain they usually do.

Looking at http://www.eu4wiki.com/Tribal_nation#Native_ideas...maybe the best solution is to give a few tribes their own custom version of the 'Native Ideas' that gives them a colonist as one of their first rewards? That plus giving them a toned-down version of high-american technology (maybe in line with Muslim Tech's 40% penalty) would make them have some potential without turning the New World in to Sunset Invasion 2.0?

The best thing you could do is make not all of the provinces in America 1/1/1 shitholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
^e: you could do something funky like give all american natives a 200% goods produced modifier tied to their religion, so to them the provinces are valuable, while not having to go in and manually edit all 500 of them or whatever there are yourself.

just add:
code:
start = {
	colonists = 1
	global_tax_income = 5
}
They need the monthly income, yeah. It's the same with your own colonial nations- if you want them to colonize, subsidize them. It's expensive and the AI doesn't prioritize it compared to other things.

• Locked thread