Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

CrashCat posted:

I don't know, there's a couple they've played over slides for like three or four shows a while back that I was getting sick of, but it must not have made much of an impact cause I can't remember the names

it's Jonathan Coulton and not the Portal song so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The FoodFight! slide got a huge reaction of utter horror from my packed theater.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gavok posted:

The FoodFight! slide got a huge reaction of utter horror from my packed theater.

Same here. I would have been totally fine if they went through with it.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of odd that all the preshow songs have just been Weird Al stuff instead of the more medley stuff they usually do.

They played Weird Al's I Lost on Jeopardy last night as a rib at Connor, who lost on Jeopardy last month.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
For some reason our local theaters weren't playing Mothra, but ARE playing the encores. Apparently they had too many "previews" coming out on Thursday. Oh well, I'll catch the replay.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I was really tired and fell asleep right after Mothra hatched from the cocoon and woke up right at the end when she picks up the girls. So upset. Was fun until then though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's been forever since I've watched Mothra and it was kind of weird noticing how many non-Japanese actors were in it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gozinbulx posted:

I was really tired and fell asleep right after Mothra hatched from the cocoon and woke up right at the end when she picks up the girls. So upset. Was fun until then though.
New Kirk City will never be the same.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mothra is an interesting movie.

It's one of the first that was made well after Godzilla's world wide popularity got established, so it gave Toho more of a footing with American studios that would ultimately lead to the American co-productions they'd do for a short time.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

As far as the Mothra movies go, I'm a bigger fan of Godzilla vs. Mothra because, yknow, Mothra actually shows up in that one and does more than fly around sort of non-threateningly. Also the plot is a hell of a lot easier to follow: two giant monster kick the poo poo out of each other. I got lost trying to follow this one, even though the main beats are simple. I understand that it's basically King Kong, but they try to cram so much into it and the dubbing is pretty hard to understand in a few spots so it's all one big mess.

My daughter absolutely loves that drat moth now, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Godzilla VS Mothra 1964 is one of the best giant monster movies ever made just for how good it is.

They take a fight that really shouldn't last any time and make it fantastic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

As far as the Mothra movies go, I'm a bigger fan of Godzilla vs. Mothra because, yknow, Mothra actually shows up in that one and does more than fly around sort of non-threateningly. Also the plot is a hell of a lot easier to follow: two giant monster kick the poo poo out of each other. I got lost trying to follow this one, even though the main beats are simple. I understand that it's basically King Kong, but they try to cram so much into it and the dubbing is pretty hard to understand in a few spots so it's all one big mess.

My daughter absolutely loves that drat moth now, though.

Yeah, all the stuff about Nelson and his backstory was just confusing. He was a private citizen/poacher and for some reason he was put in charge of the government expedition?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, all the stuff about Nelson and his backstory was just confusing. He was a private citizen/poacher and for some reason he was put in charge of the government expedition?
He's supposed to be from the country that is a stand in for Russia and the USA combined, so he gets to throw his weight around as the evil greedy officious businessman so the plucky everyman Bulldog can make a mockery out of him and his men. Naturally because the evil Not-Russia-USA tested bombs on innocent natives there's a sense of justice when Mothra goes apeshit all over New Kirk City's collection of Hot Wheels.

This could be horribly wrong, but I don't really want to be right

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

that Mothra song... the slides weren't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyMbJI5SrlI

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A new VOD is available, Ruby.

Note: you cannot use your Mothra discount codes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How is Ruby?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Mothra was fun, but was it really necessary for the English dubbing to have ridiculous caricatures of Japanese accents? :psyduck:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

demota posted:

Mothra was fun, but was it really necessary for the English dubbing to have ridiculous caricatures of Japanese accents? :psyduck:

Well uh

So I don't know for certain but that might have just been the voice actors. They made it a point in the older Godzilla films to specifically cast Asian American voice actors.

Like, Godzilla King of the Monsters, all of the extras, voice actors and body doubles they got for the American scenes were Asian.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was just the dub casting.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

George Takei did some voices for Godzilla Raids Again and Rodan, other companies cared less about casting for their dubbings, and some of the films have multiple dubs (and fans will spend hours arguing about them online!)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well Ruby sure is.....something.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah, them calling this weird was totally underselling things.

And the scene in the attic had me reallllly nervous for a while

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 22, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

Looking it up after the fact, I kinda wanna see a directors cut of the movie. It was not that bad. It's totally strange, but it had some decent acting (and overacting), an interesting premise, and the gore effects, while not great, worked for what they had. The ending is total dog poo poo: Abrupt and comes out of no where from what was happening. Just leaving those three seconds off would have been much better for the film.

As for the riff, it's okay. Not the best but serviceable. It helps that the movie itself is very watchable. There were parts where I was tuning it out trying to pay more attention to the movie.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I had tickets to Mothra tonight but I had to bail. Alas, I will never see them riff Mothra flying over Tokyo now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Went to the Mothra re-air and it was lots of fun. Soapy wasn't nearly as horrifying as the talking cars from the reunion show but the short was full of solid jokes. I'd never seen Mothra and found it to be one of those satisfying MST3Ks where you can enjoy both the movie and the riffs. Looking forward to the Halloween show.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd happily trade Carnival of Souls live for I Believe In Santa Claus live

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
http://imgur.com/a/9U77T

All the pre-show cards I saw. They looped once but then there were a couple of new ones at the end (I believe that's all of them, though).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Mothra was kind of a dud, wasn't it? Good fit on paper, but the movie itself is just too competent and inoffensive for what it is and didn't seem to give the boys a great deal to work with. Really reminded me of those solidly C-grade episodes of MST, right down to the repeated fallbacks on a not-that-funny running joke for lack of anything better to hook onto. Had its moments, sure, but for our room things definitely peaked with the short.

Another slight annoyance: my current theater obviously doesn't give a poo poo about these events. There's no reason anyone paying 14 bucks a pop should have to leave their seat to tell mgt. to turn the loving house lights down 15 minutes into the feature but that's been the case both times I've been there, and it's pretty obvious no one is monitoring the sound and picture quality past pushing the "play" button. I'll give 'em one more chance but after that I may be SOL as far as seeing more of these things.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 24, 2016

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hogama posted:

All the pre-show cards I saw. They looped once but then there were a couple of new ones at the end (I believe that's all of them, though).

Thank you, kind sir or madam.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Hogama posted:

"Mos Def as Ford Prefect" got a knowing murmur from our small crowd, which I felt a little bad about but then again gently caress that movie.

And I agree that moths are not inherently scary, though giant beady-eyed ambulatory dog turds are at least a little bit disturbing on a primal level (I admit that the main reason I went to this was to see this movie on a big screen)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bimmi posted:

And I agree that moths are not inherently scary, though giant beady-eyed ambulatory dog turds are at least a little bit disturbing on a primal level (I admit that the main reason I went to this was to see this movie on a big screen)

At this point, I can't divorce kaiju in movies from the effects used to produce them. To put it in terms of Stephen King's Danse Macabre, I can't stop thinking about the zipper on the costume. The only scene where I really felt a suspension of disbelief, at least where Mothra the character is concerned, was when she climbed Tokyo Tower and spun a cocoon, because it was the only really moth-like thing she did.

Though there was a little pang of foreboding when the egg hatched, mostly because it was a really well-paced sequence with good cinematography. Overall, though, I just can't get too scared of a benign creature. There's no malice in Mothra. Even as she's booking it across the ocean, you know she's just trying to save those two tiny ladies and that it's Nelson's fault and all the destruction is ancillary. The villain is Nelson, not Mothra. I feel like that message was pretty clear, so even the "gross" parts of the insect life cycle are secondary to what a massive dickhole Nelson is.

Seriousposting bout giant moths itt.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Mothera codes still work along with this weekends LEARN code.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Made use of the three codes to finally get a few more dvds: Manos Live & Birdemic Live. And a bunch more shorts.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I got Santa & Ice Cream Bunny Live. I still haven't gotten around to getting the studio riff for some reason (usually I just buy shorts) so this'll be my first time watching the film, and my understanding is that I'm in for something very special indeed. :unsmigghh:

[e] Finished it and jesus gently caress what did I just :psyboom:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 29, 2016

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I prefer the Live version I think.

I like the energy of the crowd. Makes it more entertaining

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Canned Panda posted:

I prefer the Live version I think.

I like the energy of the crowd. Makes it more entertaining

That and because Jack and the Beanstalk is far more watchable than Thumbelina.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bimmi posted:

Mothra was kind of a dud, wasn't it? Good fit on paper, but the movie itself is just too competent and inoffensive for what it is and didn't seem to give the boys a great deal to work with. Really reminded me of those solidly C-grade episodes of MST, right down to the repeated fallbacks on a not-that-funny running joke for lack of anything better to hook onto. Had its moments, sure, but for our room things definitely peaked with the short.

Another slight annoyance: my current theater obviously doesn't give a poo poo about these events. There's no reason anyone paying 14 bucks a pop should have to leave their seat to tell mgt. to turn the loving house lights down 15 minutes into the feature but that's been the case both times I've been there, and it's pretty obvious no one is monitoring the sound and picture quality past pushing the "play" button. I'll give 'em one more chance but after that I may be SOL as far as seeing more of these things.

I loved it, it was one of my favorites that they've done.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gavok posted:

The outfits in Jack and the Beanstalk alone are worth the price of admission.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gavok posted:

But seeing Jack and the Beanstalk just makes me wish for Jack The Giant Killer.

SEIZE THE BONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

CrashCat posted:

But seeing Jack and the Beanstalk just makes me wish for Jack The Giant Killer.

SEIZE THE BONE

One of my all-time favorite movie quotes.

• Locked thread