Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah. If that doesnt work though the last resort is the vet drawing directly from the bladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah. If that doesnt work though the last resort is the vet drawing directly from the bladder.

You know what, I think I am going to try the lid method. Vet closes at 7 and it's 5.45 now and I'd really rather not have to repeat this another day. she's been holding it since this morning so hopefully as soon as I give her access to real litter she'll go.

ETA: well that more or less worked except I'm not sure if I got enough or if it's contaminated by the litter. I'll let the vet figure that out though

ETA #2: verdict at the vet was too contaminated :( but she wasn't going to wee at all if I didn't try it so it was a good try. I might try some more times tomorrow since I can't sit with her locked up all day again until Friday. It was also totally worth it to watch her be super confused about why she had nothing to bury.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 17, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I just found out live kitten streams exist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o74BnFSr8g :3:

For those about to cat, we salute you

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
This is maybe a weird place to ask this question: but what's the window to worry about an infection from a potential cat-wound? I was walking my dog in the middle of the night last night, and she got in a minor fight with a cat that lounges outside a house. I reached down to pick her up and something, maybe even my own dog, "got" me on two fingers. Basically, my fingernails on two fingers were bleeding along the edge, kind of like the injury you'd get if you hit your fingernail with a hammer, but I couldn't really find any sings of a bite/puncture, I almost feel like the cat somehow managed to bite both my fingernails and miss flesh, which seems improbable but it's the only way I can explain my injuries.

I know cat bites are incredibly infectious, so when can I stop nervously poking my fingers for any sign of swelling or growing pain?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Periodiko posted:

This is maybe a weird place to ask this question: but what's the window to worry about an infection from a potential cat-wound? I was walking my dog in the middle of the night last night, and she got in a minor fight with a cat that lounges outside a house. I reached down to pick her up and something, maybe even my own dog, "got" me on two fingers. Basically, my fingernails on two fingers were bleeding along the edge, kind of like the injury you'd get if you hit your fingernail with a hammer, but I couldn't really find any sings of a bite/puncture, I almost feel like the cat somehow managed to bite both my fingernails and miss flesh, which seems improbable but it's the only way I can explain my injuries.

I know cat bites are incredibly infectious, so when can I stop nervously poking my fingers for any sign of swelling or growing pain?

just wash it really well with antibacterial soap, keep an eye out for angry red, bad smell or any kind of pus type stuff. You just might make it without losing a hand.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Periodiko posted:

Proper deep cat bites are terrible and will put you in hospital but you almost certainly don't have one of those. If you had one of those you'd have a deep puncture wound that didn't bleed much but hurt like absolute hell. Sounds like you got a standard bite at worst that will probably be fine as long as you do the normal disinfecting things you'd do with any wound.

ETA: oh you said this happened last night, yeah you're fine. For example, my mother got properly bit by one of our cats and even after taking antibiotics the next day the infection had spread up her arm and she ended up in hospital for like two days. Deep cat bites do not gently caress around.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Yowza, okay, thanks, I wasn't sure when any infection symptoms would show up if it was infected.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
My 1.5yo male, sterilised, black cat started splashing in his water bowl a few months ago and splashing water everywhere. I've ended up putting a hard tray under the dinner bowls so I can wipe the water away before it damages the wood floor, but I have no idea how to stop him.

We've been using the same bowls (pretty much exactly this) for months before this started, and feeding in the same spot, so I've also no idea why he started doing it. Any easy suggestions that don't involve shelling out for a water fountain style bowl?

No cat tax, as he just looks like a black blob in all the photos.

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 17, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

crowtribe posted:

My 1.5yo male, sterilised, black cat started splashing in his water bowl a few months ago and splashing water everywhere. I've ended up putting a hard tray under the dinner bowls so I can wipe the water away before it damages the wood floor, but I have no idea how to stop him.
I had a cat that did that out of the blue and we tried random crap with trays and mats, but like most cat solutions going back to entertaining them / dealing with their cat preferences fixed it. He stopped splashing water after I got him a cat fountain that runs water constantly and has carbon filters - he stopped drinking when we tried the water fountain type that runs water over a plastic surface inverted bowl. We call it a water feature in our house. It might seem pricey but at least you don't have to give a new bowl of water constantly and it can help reduce stress on kidneys over time by filtering out all the impurities in the water. The plastic cat fountains kinda suck and the only reason I tried it was because I didn't believe that it would fix the problem and didn't want to be out $90 on a whim to please a drat cat.

The hard thing about cats is walking that fine line between keeping them entertained yet not stressed out about change.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

necrobobsledder posted:

I didn't believe that it would fix the problem and didn't want to be out $90 on a whim to please a drat cat.

I spend stupid amounts of money on dumb animal poo poo AMA

yes those plastic drinkwell fountains are crappy unless it has a filter or something. still have to keep those fuckers really clean though. and the dogs out of it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

crowtribe posted:

We've been using the same bowls (pretty much exactly this) for months before this started, and feeding in the same spot, so I've also no idea why he started doing it. Any easy suggestions that don't involve shelling out for a water fountain style bowl?

No cat tax, as he just looks like a black blob in all the photos.

Use small bowls. One of my cats loves to splash water so I got small bowls and she stopped.

Similar to this, they sell similar ones at PetCo and such.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 17, 2016

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

I've had my cat about 7-8 years, but I believe he was fully grown when I took him in, so I don't know his exact age.

He never had litter box problems in the past, but I was living with someone who had two cats (bringing the house total to 4) and I have reason to believe her boyfriend was stressing out my cat as well. Anyway, he started peeing directly in front of the litter box. He still pooped in it just fine, but every single time he went to pee, it was right in front of the litter box. More recently, I finally moved away from that situation and was hoping that that would end the problem. Now, he's mostly peeing in the litter box, but every once in a while he'll pee on the welcome mat or by the shoes. I bought a shoe rack to get them off the floor, and he hasn't peed there again, but he's still occasionally peeing on the welcome mat. I use one of those enzymatic cleaners, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

When all of this first started, I took him to the vet thinking maybe he had a UTI, but they said he was perfectly fine. I'm not really sure what to do from here, but I'm sick and tired of cleaning his piss. What bothers me most of all is that he'll go like a week or so using the litter box just fine, then he'll do it out of the blue. Any suggestions? Should I take him to the vet again?

Edit: obligatory cat pic

Billy Black fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 18, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put a litter box near the mat, slowly move it towards the original litter box day by day.

Nice morph ball

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Do you have a water fountain for him? One of my cats peed outside the litter box for YEARS and getting a fountain completely fixed the problem. She was apparently getting enough water not to have a diagnosable problem but she still was having irritation.

I started out with a drinkwell fountain but when that broke I made my own with a short rubbermade box and a 10 gal. aquarium filter (much cheaper and easier to clean).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Sorry to double post this but I think it's hilarious and serves as an ADORABLE warning

This is from when we play "catch the ever-elusive feet under the blanket".

[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/VfE9twi.jpg[/tIM

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Put a litter box near the mat, slowly move it towards the original litter box day by day.

Nice morph ball

The front door is right at the base of the stairs, and the litter box is in the laundry room, right at the top of the stairs. It might be hard to do this.

Joburg posted:

Do you have a water fountain for him? One of my cats peed outside the litter box for YEARS and getting a fountain completely fixed the problem. She was apparently getting enough water not to have a diagnosable problem but she still was having irritation.

I started out with a drinkwell fountain but when that broke I made my own with a short rubbermade box and a 10 gal. aquarium filter (much cheaper and easier to clean).

I don't have a water fountain, but I do have an upstairs and downstairs water bowl.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Thin Privilege posted:

Sorry to double post this but I think it's hilarious and serves as an ADORABLE warning

There you go

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Picked up a furminator yesterday. Way more expensive then I thought it would be, but 100% worth its weight in fur. I didn't realize that Tuna was carrying a second cat around this whole time, he's so much sleeker now.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

The Lord of Hats posted:

Picked up a furminator yesterday. Way more expensive then I thought it would be, but 100% worth its weight in fur. I didn't realize that Tuna was carrying a second cat around this whole time, he's so much sleeker now.

They're great, just don't go overboard, you can easily strip them bald :v: Also excess shedding a few days after using it is normal.

I'll throw in my cat brush recommendation. My cat would accept being brushed by anything, but I really like this one because it's small enough to easily brush around his face and has coated tips on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O39TE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Peewatch day 3 update:

The good news is that the cut up straws worked in the end. The bad news is that I only realised this as I was trying to pour the straws out back into a bag because they hadn't worked all morning and I'd just gone to get fake litter from the vet for her to use and by the time I realised there was wee in the straws they were already half in the bag and the wee was so spread out that it was impossible to get enough for a sample so now I'm back to square one with the bonus that she doesn't actually need to wee anymore and may decide not to until the vet closes for the day.

So basically my cat is a cat.

ETA: VICTORY I waited until the last minute again and tried the shove-the-thing-under-her method but this time I used a better thing for doing that so I got enough uncontaminated by litter that it was usable and I got there just before they closed I am so happy I have outsmarted this drat cat

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 19, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Heh, this foot looks like my arms. :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Organza Quiz posted:

ETA: VICTORY I waited until the last minute again and tried the shove-the-thing-under-her method but this time I used a better thing for doing that so I got enough uncontaminated by litter that it was usable and I got there just before they closed I am so happy I have outsmarted this drat cat

or did you.... :frog:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

or did you.... :frog:

Look I told the vet nurse as I handed it to her that I'm fully prepared for the results to come back 100% normal-why-did-you-waste-your-money-on-this-test that's just a part of being a cat butler.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Organza Quiz posted:

Look I told the vet nurse as I handed it to her that I'm fully prepared for the results to come back 100% normal-why-did-you-waste-your-money-on-this-test that's just a part of being a cat butler.

Butlers get paid :catbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What are the hot tips for getting medicine inside a cat? Cooper is leaving little bald spots on his legs and the vet suggested children's benadryl for him. We've been doing it for about a week and he does seem to be chewing on himself less but the pill ritual is a Goddamn mess still. He's drat big and has a lot of force behind him. We're getting sliced the gently caress open. We tried grinding the pill up and mixing it in some tuna but he sniffed it out and refused to even lick it. I think the problem is the pill tastes awful because we have to cut them in half so we don't kill the animal. And obviously a general dislike of having people stick their fingers in his mouth.

We are wrapping him in a towel. He's so big and squirrely he is wiggling his paws loose very quickly and if we don't nail it on the first shot we're usually screwed. At least he doesn't seem to be holding a grudge, he's always very friendly afterwards.

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014
Coat the pill in butter? Mine will also take pills if they're thoroughly wrapped up in lunch meats.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

My cats must be paranoid enough to think I'm trying to poison them. They know the difference between new and old food and will eat around all the new food and any medicine I put there.

Then they'll eat rubber bands and ear plugs just to spite me

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

right of course there is a cat megathread in PI I'm an idiot

okay hi I have a big dumb male cat that likes to use the litterbox, not cover anything, then walk out of it and start pawing at the sides and nearby walls. how much terminal cat cancer does he have, and why am I a bad owner for letting this happen?

(and by that I mean thank god I no longer have to go to reddit for cat advice and do any of you have cats with the same weird behaviour? I assume he's just getting litter out of his paws or something, but I've never seen any other cat do this)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

ChickenWing posted:

okay hi I have a big dumb male cat that likes to use the litterbox, not cover anything, then walk out of it and start pawing at the sides and nearby walls. how much terminal cat cancer does he have, and why am I a bad owner for letting this happen?

(and by that I mean thank god I no longer have to go to reddit for cat advice and do any of you have cats with the same weird behaviour? I assume he's just getting litter out of his paws or something, but I've never seen any other cat do this)

All cats do this. They're operating on instinct to cover up their turds and instinct says "Make your paw do this and sniff to see if you can smell it anymore, if you can still smell it keep doing it."

My cat likes to shovel the litter everywhere but directly over the turd until he covers it by pure accident. He'll then paw at the air for a few seconds until he feels stupid and walks away. Just be grateful your cat isn't shoveling litter out of the litterbox.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ChickenWing posted:

you assume correctly, one of the 3 at the house does the same thing. Dont assume everyone is gonna jump down your throat friend, you havent mentioned your cats vegan diet yet.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

SneakyFrog posted:

Dont assume everyone is gonna jump down your throat friend, you havent mentioned your cats vegan diet yet.

That was more in reference to my previous reddit experience.

a typical day on reddit posted:

"Aw look at the cute kitten doing a cute thing"

"ACTUALLY THAT CUTE THING MEANS YOUR CAT HAS AIDSCANCER AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT :mad:"

MrSlam posted:

All cats do this. They're operating on instinct to cover up their turds and instinct says "Make your paw do this and sniff to see if you can smell it anymore, if you can still smell it keep doing it."

My cat likes to shovel the litter everywhere but directly over the turd until he covers it by pure accident. He'll then paw at the air for a few seconds until he feels stupid and walks away. Just be grateful your cat isn't shoveling litter out of the litterbox.

Excellent. Luckily cat #2 is very prim and proper and covers it up for him.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

reddit cat owner posted:

"ACTUALLY THAT CUTE THING MEANS YOUR CAT HAS AIDSCANCER AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT "

I've been there (with the dumb cat medical advice, not the aidscancer). It doesn't help that every symptom for cat illness is also normal cat behavior. I learned to take PetMD and clickbait articles like 'Cat Cuddling Actually A Sign of Heart Failure?' with a grain of salt.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Continuing with Pee Chat, I'm in a similar position. I set up a new litterbox in our spare room, put down the regular litter (to trick him), put a litter liner over that, and sprinkled the measly handful of black litter the vet gave me over it. This feels like a good plan to me, my problem is that my cat won't loving pee. I work 6 days a week and often come home long after the vet is closed, and they need the sample within the hour anyways. I called the vet to ask if it were possible to refrigerate the urine overnight, but no dice. I've started adding more water to his food morning and night, as well as changing the water more (I change it 2x a day and now I'm trying 3+), but I'm wondering if there's anything at all I could do. It's not a life-or-death situation; he's been spraying a lot recently and it was driving me mad. He's also rather skinny, though he's always been a bony little bugger. Hilariously, after I brought him to the vet initially he hasn't marked inappropriately since, but I also have been trying to pay him a lot more attention and scoop his box more-which may have been the problem all along. However, I won't feel comfortable until I know for certain it's not a physical issue. Any thoughts?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Wet food is a good way to hydrate kitty if you need to. Bust open a can and treat him.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
can of tuna with the water still in it is my go to thingy for kitty hydration also works for dissolving pills in and putting in a baby medicine squirty thingy for giving evil catte pills in the mouth without clawbitedeath (the tuna water that is)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

porkswordonboard posted:

changing the water more (I change it 2x a day and now I'm trying 3+)

I got a cheap little plastic cat fountain and it's been fantastic for my cat. She drinks noticeably more water now that I have it, and it's also way more convenient for me because it holds enough water that I only have to top it off every couple of days, as opposed to changing out the regular plastic bowl of water several times a day.

I've had it for a month and a half or so and maintenance has been surprisingly low on it. Once a week or so, I take it apart, rinse it with hot water, wipe it all down, and then put it back together. Takes like 5 minutes. Filters are fairly cheap and I only replace them every 2-3 weeks or so. I should have bought one of these years ago.

Just make sure you don't put it next to their food, or they'll get food in it and it will get all soggy and gross and clog up the pump.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
After a few months putting off the "omg kittenz" hype, I pulled the trigger on getting a cat.

I saw a 2 year old at the shelter a few weeks ago playing with toys and it looked quite intelligent over the 15 mins I was watching it.
However, when I went into play with it today it came upto me and went "meh", then went back to its bed and went to sleep

:cry:
I thought cats liked everyone, does it hate me, or could it be a goon non-social?
I didn't get it because I wasn't sure if it would want me to take it, but I wanted to :(.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want a cat that loves naps, sounds like a perfect cat.

Cats have personalities. One of mine loves snoozing, the other is constantly by my side wondering what I'm doing that he can interrupt with his antics.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Cat could have been tired. Don't think it hates you. If it did, probably wouldn't have felt comfortable going to sleep.

Go back and try again. See if things go any differently. Cats will warm up to you. If you like the cat, that's half the connection. Give it time to build the other half, if you really like that cat. It is unlikely that the cat would prefer staying at the shelter to going home with you.

Two of mine were indifferent to me when I met them, but I took them because they needed homes. (One was the sister of a cat I was adopting, and I thought they were bonded so I should take both, and the other was one some friends rescued but couldn't keep.) They both warmed up considerably, and everything turned out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
Thanks for the reassurance. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe it was feeling down being in supermax.
The OP has also helped with confirming the consensus view I was learning about cats.

Next thing will be to game the "pet-tax". *labels a cushion as a cat one. Adds on 150%*