Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

That's a pretty high compression motor. I'd run 91+ octane in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Scrapez posted:

That's a pretty high compression motor. I'd run 91+ octane in it.

It always baffled me why in the US you can get gas with less than 95 octane. That simply doesn't exist in most of Europe (and in the middle east)\

My two choices at the pump are 95 and 98 octane (and 100 at a few rare pumps)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

adary posted:

It always baffled me why in the US you can get gas with less than 95 octane. That simply doesn't exist in most of Europe (and in the middle east)\

It's because the U.S. uses a different octane scale. We use the average of the RON + MON ratings for the gas, most other countries just use the straight RON number (both scales have quirks and inaccuracies, so averaging the two actually provides a more accurate scale).

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So... keep using premium gasoline?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

adary posted:

What HCC said about there being two scales. 98 octane for you = 93 octane for us. "Regular" 87 in the USA is equivalent to your 93/95.

The lowest I've seen in the USA is 84, which you can only get in high-altitude states where your engine compression is lowered.

The Bananana posted:

Read the manual and use what the manual calls for.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

The Bananana posted:

Use premo, breh. I tested the performance on my XG750 w/ other fuels and with regular, you WILL knock and super you MIGHT. Assuming you ride hard, which you should always assume because it's just not worth the risk. In fact, pretty much treat the 750 is a street/sport bike in every respect except for oil - conventional oil is fine (according to all authorities but synth wouldn't hurt it).

Also know that using too high an octane never hurts, it's going under that kills cars.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Sagebrush posted:

Read the manual and use what the manual calls for.

Yeah, manufacturers have no stake in gas. They won't tell you to use premium unless you need to. It's not a marketing thing or whatever.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's because the U.S. uses a different octane scale. We use the average of the RON + MON ratings for the gas, most other countries just use the straight RON number (both scales have quirks and inaccuracies, so averaging the two actually provides a more accurate scale).

This is the first time i got an explanation for this I actually understood :)

So, i basicaly put 87 in my dyna (local 95) because with gas prices here (and the fact that my dyna does under 15km/1l) i'm already spending too much on gas. Not to mention my 96km daily commute

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

Use premo, breh. I tested the performance on my XG750 w/ other fuels and with regular, you WILL knock and super you MIGHT. Assuming you ride hard, which you should always assume because it's just not worth the risk. In fact, pretty much treat the 750 is a street/sport bike in every respect except for oil - conventional oil is fine (according to all authorities but synth wouldn't hurt it).

Also know that using too high an octane never hurts, it's going under that kills cars.

I repeat: read the manual and use what the manufacturer recommends, for both fuel and oil. Ignore all "internet wisdom" on the topic.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I repeat: read the manual and use what the manufacturer recommends, for both fuel and oil. Ignore all "internet wisdom" on the topic.

With the XG750 I'd agree with you but I've seen some low compression engines call for premium. Doesn't the 883 call for premo?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Save 65 cents per tank of gas by using the wrong grade of fuel? Sounds like a great idea to me!!"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

"Save 65 cents per tank of gas by using the wrong grade of fuel? Sounds like a great idea to me!!"

Don't forget to put premix in with it every few tanks. That's gonna add to the cost, but the engines "like" it occasionally.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I prefer a higher COG with my police electraglide as I get out on the country roads and do the twisty turney thing for miles. Last weekend I did 300 miles going roughly to Cincinatti and back on back roads. Today I was up and down mountain roads where the speed limit was 20mph and I was practically scraping floorboards at times. Watching some dude race up the opposite direction on a street bike was shocking.

edit: I feel dumb, I somehow confused groud clearance and CG - my bike has the look of a streetglide but has the same clearance as a standard electraglide

sky shark fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 25, 2016

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Probably because it is an Electra Glide (technically), the Police Specials are based on the Electra Glide. You can learn to scrape boards like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M or opt for a H-D that handles corners better like the Dyna family or the FXST or FXSTi.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
If a Heritage Softail Classic or Road King-esque touring Harley is supposedly well maintained, should such a bike with ~50,000 miles on it draw concern? ~100,000 miles? How long are these touring bikes supposed to last, if they're taken care of?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

epalm posted:

If a Heritage Softail Classic or Road King-esque touring Harley is supposedly well maintained, should such a bike with ~50,000 miles on it draw concern? ~100,000 miles? How long are these touring bikes supposed to last, if they're taken care of?

Well I'm running an Electra Glide Ultra ('01) that is running strong at 79k, if you have done the maintenance religiously 100 to 150k is within the realm of possibilities. Most people trade up at about the 20k mark, though (these tend to be people that hate money).

(E): Just to add this, if you are looking at a Harley you can take the VIN to your dealership and they can look up the service history for you.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 29, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about 50k as long as it doesn't look too knocked around and it goes down the road ok. I'd want some recent service records at 100.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Bunch of guys I know have Dyna's and Road Kings that are well over 100k kilometers without engine rebuilds. Just regular maintenance. Mostly twin cam engines, and some EVO's as well.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I just want to stop by and say a really like my Harley. :3:

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Traded the '01 Ultra for this;

An '07 Road King Classic, so far it's been a great upgrade.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Outside Dawg posted:

Traded the '01 Ultra for this;

An '07 Road King Classic, so far it's been a great upgrade.

niiccee

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

What's the fastest (in terms of top speed) stock Harley being made right now?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

The Bananana posted:

in terms of usable speed, the v rod, but i don't think it's geared for flat out top speed but if you changed its ratios, you could get into business but the important question is why would you want to go that loving fast?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Verge posted:

in terms of usable speed, the v rod, but i don't think it's geared for flat out top speed but if you changed its ratios, you could get into business but the important question is why would you want to go that loving fast?

I don't understand the question.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

The Bananana posted:

I don't understand the question.

lol. also consider an Indian if you're willing to, they're geared better for top speed but yeah i think it's still the v rod, especially with a chain but even i think without

Verge fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 18, 2016

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

The Bananana posted:

The V Rod, has been since its inception in 2001. It's based on Harley's drag racing bikes. I'm not sure what Verge is talking about "with a chain" as the V-Rod is a belt drive.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Chain conversion lets you change the gearing.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Ah, ok.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Seattle - North Cascades loop through Ellensburg for a U-Tote-Em last Saturday - was on the bike for 12 hours. I'm taking a friend this Saturday, it was beautiful.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Schlieren posted:

Seattle - North Cascades loop through Ellensburg for a U-Tote-Em last Saturday - was on the bike for 12 hours. I'm taking a friend this Saturday, it was beautiful.

Washington Pass - love Hwy 20! Also, Blewitt Pass is one of my fave roads. It's gonna be hot tomorrow, especially from Chelan to Cashmere.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Blewitt always blows my mind. North to south feels like going downhill the whole way... and then you hit the top of the pass. What?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

clutchpuck posted:

Blewitt always blows my mind. North to south feels like going downhill the whole way... and then you hit the top of the pass. What?

My visor was almost totally occluded with bug smears and there were too many idiots behind me I didn't want near me again, but I knew I was going uphill because of the temperature getting cooler and cooler

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Schlieren posted:

Looks beautiful

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Lately I've been having serious thoughts about trading in the Nightster that I love so much and have put so many parts into for a Night Rod Special.

I just don't know what to do. :negative:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

As soon as I can afford it, I'm gonna get into a night rod special.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Strife posted:

Lately I've been having serious thoughts about trading in the Nightster that I love so much and have put so many parts into for a Night Rod Special.

I just don't know what to do. :negative:

Personally, I'd put a 1250 kit, big cams, ported heads and a good 2:1 exhaust on the nightster if you have it looking like you want.

100+ rwhp on the nightster well be fun. I'm not a huge fan of vrods though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what's the cheapest way to get onto a harley? stalk craigslist for a late 90s/early 2000s-ish sportster?

i'm tired of life without a motorcycle

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's the cheapest way to get onto a harley? stalk craigslist for a late 90s/early 2000s-ish sportster?

I was seeing sportsters for as little as $1500 in my neck of the woods, though I could not speak to their quality.

Edit: on craigslist

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Scrapez posted:

Personally, I'd put a 1250 kit, big cams, ported heads and a good 2:1 exhaust on the nightster if you have it looking like you want.

100+ rwhp on the nightster well be fun. I'm not a huge fan of vrods though.

Doing a 1250 kit, that's an interesting idea. Is that something I can do entirely in my garage? I'm a reasonably competent mechanic, but once I get to drilling through metal I get a bit cautious.

A 2:1 is probably also a good idea. Any recommendations? I currently have the V&H Short Shots, because it's a XL1200N, and having those is the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Early 2000s Sportsters are looking fairly cheap these days. Especially if you can find and tolerate an 883, and do a 1250 kit yourself.

• Locked thread