Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Well Kellhus 's realisation that all souls are one would support the idea that the gods are just aspects of The God, so Inri can't have been too far out. Which raises the question of how and why he was able to come to those conclusions.

I think you mean Kellhus' claim that all souls are one. He was still working to manipulate and control Achamian when he told him that. And obviously he synched his speech with Achamian through Dunyain mind reading, not because he was actually linked to him through the ur-soul. C'mon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Could be both, on Kellhus's early claim that all souls are one. Truth shines.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I just realized Bakker is ripping off Final Fantasy VII. :negative:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mcustic posted:

I just realized Bakker is ripping off Final Fantasy VII. :negative:

TIL Atman and reincarnation are Final Fantasy concepts

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

TIL Atman and reincarnation are Final Fantasy concepts

I wasn't even aiming at that, although it fits the larger picture. I was talking about Jenova, a malicious alien entity that crash landed on the planet and got sealed off in a previous era, but now tries to gently caress with the normal planetary flow of souls/atman to further its sinister agenda, killing all life on the planet in the process. I was also joking.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I think you mean Kellhus' claim that all souls are one. He was still working to manipulate and control Achamian when he told him that. And obviously he synched his speech with Achamian through Dunyain mind reading, not because he was actually linked to him through the ur-soul. C'mon. :colbert:

He was very persuasive.

Although I will admire the gumption if it turns out everything Kellhus has said is a complete fabrication.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mcustic posted:

I wasn't even aiming at that, although it fits the larger picture. I was talking about Jenova, a malicious alien entity that crash landed on the planet and got sealed off in a previous era, but now tries to gently caress with the normal planetary flow of souls/atman to further its sinister agenda, killing all life on the planet in the process. I was also joking.

Well now that's just uncanny

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

mcustic posted:

I don't know, the Lifestream and the Outside are a little different

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Just finished Great Ordeal. The Dagliash part was probably my favourite. Ishterebinth confused the hell out of me but the end of that story line was cool. I though Momemn was boring as gently caress until things resolved at the end of that too.

And for some reason I got into my head that the Nail of Heaven is an Inchoroi satellite in geosynchronous orbit above Golgotterath.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The Nail was a star that got a lot brighter shortly (in astronomical terms) before the Inchorai arrived. It might be a star they made go supernova, presumably they were wiping out life throughout the galaxy as part of the plan.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My pet theory is that it's where the Inchoroi "broke through" into the current plane before crashing into Earwe, which explains why it stayed bright, but doesn't explain why it was ever there to begin with.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Did it get bright? I thought it appeared before they arrived, which screams "wormhole" to me.

I also like the idea that for all their scifi trappings, the Inchoroi don't have a sense of outer space having physical dimensions, and that they don't consider planets to be part of the same universe.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I figured it was a satellite since it's always above Golgotterath and Golgotterath clearly isn't the planet's pole.

Also I really want to know why the Inchoroi think that depopulating Earwa is going to saved them this time, when it hadn't before.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Poldarn posted:

I figured it was a satellite since it's always above Golgotterath and Golgotterath clearly isn't the planet's pole.

Also I really want to know why the Inchoroi think that depopulating Earwa is going to saved them this time, when it hadn't before.

All the stars rotate around it, so unless something is seriously wonky, like geometry itself, the Nail is above a pole.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Poldarn posted:

Maybe Earwa is the last planet with life on it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I always assumed it was just the north star since the whole thing is set to remind us of our own world. But I'm still only halfway through the third book.

Bakker is loving awesome and Kellhus is just making up every single thing he says. When he goes slack and grabs Akka by the throat, that's the real Kellhus.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So I finished book one of this, and man I had trouble getting into it. I really had to push myself forward and it took me a few weeks to finish (where I could usually burn through something like this in a night or a weekend). Is book 2 better? I kept waiting for like a climax in the book, and I'm still not sure if there was one. Maybe the Consult reveal?

Kellhus was interesting in the first couple of chapters where he was walking around, and ran into what I'm guessing was a Consult guy who used sorcery, but I felt it slipped a little bit after that. It was just like "I'm manipulating Serwe for some as of yet unknown reason" and Cnaiür was like "hey you big jerk she's actually mine" like over and over.

I don't know. I wanted to like it, but I just really struggled to stay interested. If this was just the setup and there's some actual meat in the following books though, I'd probably be willing to give the series another try. There were some good parts (the chase, the war from the emperor's nephew, Kellhus killing those monster things at the beginning), but I felt like it was buried with many bad parts. May not be my cup of tea though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It definitely picks up - book 1 is a lot of moving pieces into place. Still, if you're not digging his style, you may not end up liking it - I was definitely positive about the whole thing by the end. I found the world he created fascinating at that point - the politics, the schools, etc were all very cool.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Book one is an awful lot of prologue - it's basically everyone traveling to Momemn to prepare for the Holy War. The Warrior Prophet has all of these disparate characters in one place and bouncing off one another, and is hands down the best fantasy novel I've ever read.

If you liked the war scenes then definitely give the next book a go. Especially if you want more of Akka being angsty and Cnaiur being crazy.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Alright cool I'll check out book 2 then. I did like the war scenes yeah. Overall I found the style and the world is interesting, I just felt like it needed to pick up a bit. If book 2 does that then awesome.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also yeah, with the war underway there certainly are more of those. Upon thinking I do agree that Warrior Prophet is pretty drat great so yeah, read that. Not sure about best fantasy novel, but absolutely a contender.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

For all of his flaws, GRRM has the best grasp of character of almost anyone working in fantasy today. Bakker is a close second, mostly for the trio of Achamian/Cnaiur/Esme reacting to Kellhus.

Unless my experience of modern fantasy is unusually shite.

Also Proyas. Fuckin Proyas. And Saubon. He's such a dick. But a believable dick.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

For all of his flaws, GRRM has the best grasp of character of almost anyone working in fantasy today. Bakker is a close second, mostly for the trio of Achamian/Cnaiur/Esme reacting to Kellhus.

Unless my experience of modern fantasy is unusually shite.

Also Proyas. Fuckin Proyas. And Saubon. He's such a dick. But a believable dick.

Conphas was pretty fun too. Wish he was still alive plotting his return. :allears:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I like Xinemus too. That whole book is great.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Even though Xin resigns like a boss, lays a verbal smack down on Proyas, and leads a daring rescue mission his most awesome moment will always be kicking the fire at Dinch for being a dick to Akka.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Conphas was pretty fun too. Wish he was still alive plotting his return. :allears:

Conphas and Saubon are basically the same person in different environments. If Saubon had been the first born, and if Conphas had been the seventh son, they'd have just switched places. Both (erroneously) consider themselves self-moving souls, it's just the rest of the world plays along with Conphas and tells Saubon to shut up and sit down.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 21, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Man the wiki for this is really bare-bones and funny

quote:

Proyas is a devoted follower of Maithanet, and he is present beside Maithanet as the Shriah announces the target of the Holy War.

He recognizes Achamian when the Mandate sorcerer is crowd-surfed to Maithanet's side.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Prince of Nothing: The sorcerer is crowd-surfed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Uhh....

quote:

And with details forthcoming, it looks like we have a deal for the television rights to The Prince of Nothing… there’s not much I can say yet, except that the more books I can sell, the greater the chance of seeing the series on the screen! Time to pull out the purple tuxedo…

I think these books are pretty close to unfilmable but all I can do is hope.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Maybe it'll go to HBO as game of thrones dies down so people can still get their fix of pendulous phalli

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think the series would be very filmable, the trouble would be finding anyone willing to fund the production of a story that can be summarized as "Jesus Christ but if he were a sociopath."

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I hope this happens. Pubbie tears will be delicious. And cast tons of awesome British actors, please.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Earwa is a really cool world and it would be awesome to see it realised on screen, but the actual story of the books is so introspective and thoughtful that they'd probably need a narrator or constant expository dumps or something.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Heck, give me silly masks, leather kilts and the knee kissing you can shake a stick at, and I won't even care if they cut out hordes of orcs with rampant erections

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Chris Hemsworth for Kellhus. Steve Buscemi for Achamian.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You can film anything if you change it enough.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Jason Alexander as Achamian

And Tom Hardy as Cnaiur

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Steve Buscemi should be Iyokus instead of Achamian

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Achamian isn't exactly a white dude though.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I dunno, I enjoy these books but can't see it as a TV series. Maybe if it was animated it would work, then they could go nuts without worrying about cheap CGI. But I haven't seen enough animated shows to know of a comparison to aspire to. What's the cheap-looking Japanese show about the giants that eat people? The opposite of that may work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm in the middle of A Thousand-Fold Thought and I have mixed feelings. I like the concept, and the side characters are all interesting, but I find the main character to be pretty dull. How does the second trilogy compare?