Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Does anyone have a simple synopsis of what the gently caress actually happened in the last few chapters?

Ichigo cut Bach in half. 10 years later his kid uses Orihime's rejection power to kill his leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Does anyone have a simple synopsis of what the gently caress actually happened in the last few chapters?

Ichigo and his nakama learned that dumb bullshit powers are dumb and bullshit?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

You'll have the weekend. Maybe longer. And every day thereafter whenever the subject comes up. And secretly, in your heart of hearts, but also openly since when has anyone ever bothered to hide their disdain for Bleach?

I have very few good things to say about Bleach myself, it's just that making a thread to specifically pick at the scabs after the series is finally kaput strikes me as a bit excessive and not particularly conducive to a long-lived and healthy thread anyway. The fact that Bleach was ongoing meant the manga thread always had something to talk about, but now that things have wrapped up there's only so many times you can say "Kubo is a hack" or "Kubo forgot" or what have you until everything becomes a circular pissing game.

That said, I'm not imposing a hard term limit on this or anything. If the thread actually goes somewhere I don't mind leaving it up, just a feeling in my gut tells me this thread is gonna flare up and burn out quick.
Maybe.

the last bleach thread had literally more posts than any other thread in adtrw, so i think there's an audience for it

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If Bad Seafood closes this a thread I've been bouncing the idea around my head for a general "What went wrong?" style thread for trying to figure out just what happened to a lot of these series we all love to rag on so much.

That's basically what the Bleach thread was for the last few hundred pages anyway, once it became obvious there was no master plan and everybody just settled in for the ride. A bunch of pretty good discussions came out of it, like that last one about how western comics have just as weird production as eastern ones do.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The final post for this thread should be "The heart." in bold, black letters.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Bad Seafood posted:

Aizen was interesting up until they revealed he was evil, after which he immediately became boring. Gin was fun, at least.

The blind samurai guy whose name I can't even remember was neither.

I used to think the same about aizen. But he got really fun for me once I realized that he never had any real plan, and was always just bullshitting about everything.

He went from a smug mastermind who is orchestrating everything, to a huge jackass who just takes credit and gets all the attention.

"We don't know what Aizens plan with the hyokygo is, but it'll take like 3 months to awaken it."

"Well when I tried copying urahara and that didn't work... I'll just poke this hyokygo with mine and see if it does something. Well drat."

slev
Apr 6, 2009

If you close the thread how will I post about the live action movie when it flops

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah honestly I might be biased as a Broke Brain who somehow made the top ten in posts for this trainwreck but I don't understand why we would close the thread. The Naruto thread didn't even do a PostMortem thread IIRC, the last manga thread just kept banging for months (years?) after it finished and that was pretty much an echo chamber on how poo poo the last few chapters were.

As someone who doesn't watch or read any anime or manga except for One Piece now, I'm not going to check ADTRW with any regularity for new news on Bleach, and since I cannot help but post my awesome opinions I'd prefer if I could just keep this thread in my bookmarks. Somehow I think ADTRW will survive having this thread bumped once in a blue moon amidst the thousand other ones.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Call me crazy, but I think the latter half of Bleach could actually work as a JRPG.

Well, it pretty much is: Lots of grinding, most fights have nothing to do with the plot, combat consists of characters taking turns to try to get the other side to run out of hit points (aka asspulls), and Ichigo might as well be a silent protagonist for all the plot cares about him as a character.

Man, I should finally get around honing my RPG Maker skills...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Sitting by the resting place of his dearest friend, Shunsui notes the rebuilding of Soul Society is almost complete; reminiscing how fast the years have gone by, and how they were able to accomplish the rebuilding process by themselves. He is then interrupted by Nanao to head over to the First Division barracks. Meanwhile, Mayuri oversees the completion of the brand new Research and Technology Department, and prepares for the expansion of his secret underground network with his newest lab assistant, Nemuri Hachigō, commenting that her shouting is unnecessary.

Elsewhere, Kenpachi loudly rebukes his squad members for their unwavering fealty, prompting Ikkaku to ask if it's okay to be wasting time like this, when they should be heading to the First Division barracks. But Kenpachi tells him that it should be at the Thirteenth Division's barracks, reminding the new lieutenant that because Yachiru is no longer around, his sense of direction should no longer be as bad as it was before. Noticing that the Eleventh Division is heading in the wrong direction, Momo attempts to set them on the right course, but Shinji stops her, saying they'll end up late as well dealing with that lot.

The sound of a polka drifted from my neighbor's and set my feet a-tapping oh! Ieva's mother had her eye on her daughter but Ieva she managed to fool her, you know. 'Cause who's going to listen to mother saying no when we're all busy dancing to and fro! Ieva was smiling, the fiddle it was wailing as people crowded round to wish her luck. Everyone was hot but it didn't seem to bother the handsome young man, the dashing buck. 'Cause who's going to mind a drop of sweat when he's all busy dancing to and fro! Ieva's mother she shut herself away in her own quiet room to hum a hymn. Leaving our hero to have a spot of fun in a neighbor's house when the lights are dim. 'Cause what does it matter what the old folks say when you're all busy dancing to and fro!

When the music stopped then the real fun began and that's when the laddie fooled around. When he took her home, when the dancing was over her mother angrily waiting they found. But I said to her, Ieva, now don't you weep and we'll soon be dancing to and fro! I said to her mother now stop that noise or I won't be responsible for what I do. If you go quietly and stay in your room you won't get hurt while your daughter I woo. 'Cause this fine laddie is a wild sort of guy when he's all busy dancing to and fro! One thing I tell you is you won't trap me, no, you won't find me an easy catch. Travel to the east and travel to the west but Ieva and I are going to make a match. 'Cause this fine laddie ain't the bashful sort when he's all busy dancing to and fro.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Wow I was definitely not paying attention.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Advice posted:

Yeah honestly I might be biased as a Broke Brain who somehow made the top ten in posts for this trainwreck but I don't understand why we would close the thread. The Naruto thread didn't even do a PostMortem thread IIRC, the last manga thread just kept banging for months (years?) after it finished and that was pretty much an echo chamber on how poo poo the last few chapters were.

As someone who doesn't watch or read any anime or manga except for One Piece now, I'm not going to check ADTRW with any regularity for new news on Bleach, and since I cannot help but post my awesome opinions I'd prefer if I could just keep this thread in my bookmarks. Somehow I think ADTRW will survive having this thread bumped once in a blue moon amidst the thousand other ones.

Closing the thread on Monday would be closing it the moment the official SJ release happens, which seems premature.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

DolphinCop posted:

the last bleach thread had literally more posts than any other thread in adtrw, so i think there's an audience for it
Naruto also kinda sorta had a mini-continuation for awhile (and didn't start up a new thread), but allow me to reorganize my thought process here:

My initial impression of the thread was just that it was made so people could go "gently caress Kubo" at varying post-lengths, which, I mean, I sort of appreciate, but with no new material coming out (I'm aware there's a movie in the works or something), how far can this horse pull the cart? Besides, even if it's someone I can't stand, I'm not keen on the idea of having a concentrated whirlpool of vitriol taking up space on the front page as it were. Might just be me but I've never been fond of the "Love to hate" culture that exists in some corners of CineD, TVIV, and Games.

Since then the thread's turned more towards people remembering Bleach, talking about what little they liked and trying to disect what when wrong with the rest. That's cool and I don't have a problem with that existing.

So basically how you should interpret my previous post is: no matter what happens (barring people purposefully torpedoing the thread, obviously), the thread will stay open until Monday. Once it's Monday, and everyday thereafter, so long as the thread's actually discussing stuff I'll probably allow it to live until it dies of old age. If it ever reverts to just being a salty circlejerk though, I'm closing it.

Wrist Watch posted:

If Bad Seafood closes this a thread I've been bouncing the idea around my head for a general "What went wrong?" style thread for trying to figure out just what happened to a lot of these series we all love to rag on so much.

That's basically what the Bleach thread was for the last few hundred pages anyway, once it became obvious there was no master plan and everybody just settled in for the ride. A bunch of pretty good discussions came out of it, like that last one about how western comics have just as weird production as eastern ones do.
I think there'd be room for a thread like that, but you'd probably get a lot of people ranting about editors and Japanese readers, so I'd advise limiting such a thread to critiques of the works as they exist rather than excuses to post about Japan having the worst taste or those mean ol' editors chaining down creative types to the wheel of capitalism.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

DolphinCop posted:

americans propping up bleach is like the chinese propping up terrible hollywood films

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The best part is that Isshin never even told Ichigo he killed Grand Fisher.

no, the best part is how ichigo completely forgot about grand fisher. he never mentioned the hollow that killed his mother again. heck, ichigo didn't seem to care very much even when ywach kept yammering on about how he was really the one who killed his mom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

I used to think the same about aizen. But he got really fun for me once I realized that he never had any real plan, and was always just bullshitting about everything.

He went from a smug mastermind who is orchestrating everything, to a huge jackass who just takes credit and gets all the attention.

"We don't know what Aizens plan with the hyokygo is, but it'll take like 3 months to awaken it."

"Well when I tried copying urahara and that didn't work... I'll just poke this hyokygo with mine and see if it does something. Well drat."

see, that is how i initially interpreted aizen's character too. but it eventually became clear that despite aizen never really having a plan and resolving every problem he faced with brute force, we were supposed to believe his bullshit. aizen was legitimately supposed to be a brilliant mastermind because he said so.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

How did they get Aizen back in prison? Urahara was too dead to seal him again.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Some superfan is drawing Squad 0's battle with the Vander-whatever.

http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/bleach-royal-guard-battle/1000-year-blood-war/viewer?title_no=16349&episode_no=1

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

slev posted:

How did they get Aizen back in prison? Urahara was too dead to seal him again.

Soul King is inherently in a prison I think.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The art is rough in some places, but it's pretty good for fanwork.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Already squad zero has more personality than in the original. This is cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kild posted:

Soul King is inherently in a prison I think.

is aizen the soul king now? I mean, he's in a chair rather than being suspended in a crystal or w/e was going on with the last guy. I admit I skimmed what he was saying in the last chapter

if he is actually the soul king then aizen is the only person in all of bleach that accomplished his original goal. he got his dream job, congrats to aizen on becoming chairman of ss

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The mod won't close this thread. He lacks the will

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Perhaps it's named Bleach because we're left longing for a way to bleach our moran brains for reading this

Akumos fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 20, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Already squad zero has more personality than in the original. This is cool.

Yeah, the Steenritter also got a nice personality boost.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The point where Kubo learned he was canned is awesome because it had more content than the last five or so chapters and the chapter immediately before it had two double page spreads of an Ichigo pose with a white background, four pages for what you could tell in a panel.
What chapter? The Quincy war all bleeds together into a big mess of nothing, it's impossible to remember specifics.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pierson posted:

What chapter? The Quincy war all bleeds together into a big mess of nothing, it's impossible to remember specifics.

Fifth-to last.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Shaking my head if you can't remember FLAMINGO.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

This fight that didn't happen is the best since Yamamoto.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If you go to the guy's deviantart page, there is a little more.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Covok
May 27, 2013

Where is this quote from?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

A good description of what it's like to read Bleach.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Same

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

When this was first published, my initial reaction was a slight cringe -- firstly for the bizarre choice of words, secondly for the absolutely stultifying context that led to its existence. In hindsight, I now have to consider the very real possibility that this, is in actuality, an incredible hallmark statement that will live on for the rest of Kubo's life for precisely none of the reasons he intended.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kubo did put in a lot of effort, but since he is completely incapable of self-reflection all that effort produced something lovely.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Covok posted:

Where is this quote from?

From Kubo's twitter before he closed it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Wasn't that quote in response to someone bragging to him about how they pirate his manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Wasn't that quote in response to someone bragging to him about how they pirate his manga?

It kinda reads like a Kamiya tweet if he was feeling poetic and had more room.

Now I want a Bleach game by Platinum.

• Locked thread