Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Although I could definitely do without the leader screens if it meant a lot more available civs/leaders.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm glad we have two different Greek leaders so I can punch “A woman’s reputation is highest when men say little about her, whether it be good or evil.” Pericles in his face with the Queen of Sparta.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm fine either way, but the people complaining about their favorite civs not being present should realize that it would be impossible to satisfy everyone.

You can always mod in San Marino & co for the diehard fans.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I love the leader screens. The two themes for each leader and the dialogue and poo poo made the civs in 5 feel a lot more alive than if they were distilled down to a couple of units and abilities and nothing else. I'm kinda pissed at the eurocentrism this time around on launch but I'm happy to wait if it stays good quality.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

It's almost as if having to create and voice-act intricate diplomacy screens, and design and balance totally unique abilities and units severely limits the number of civs they can have in the game due to time and budget constraints.

"But my favorite civs aren't in this game! What the gently caress firaxis!" said literally everybody.

One sec giving Greece two leaders or splitting them into city states while having the Near East begin and end with Sumeria.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Gorgo isn't a separate Civ, on the alphabetical bingo board she was alongside Pericles.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Yeah if they split Greece into actual city states, in a game where City States are a mechanic that existed, that'd just be really messed up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've never understood why people prefer wonder movies to the paintings and quotes

So good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I want even more European civs, boners.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When will Glorious Srbija, Seventh Rome, get its due

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Chucat posted:

Yeah if they split Greece into actual city states, in a game where City States are a mechanic that existed, that'd just be really messed up.

maybe Gorgo only appears in a scenario rather than representing a unique civ

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Greek Civ this time is thematically a loose alliance of city-states and their leader screen is Gorgo and Pericles arguing with each other about everything.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ooo, a Norwegian viking leader! Does that mean we'll see a later era Danish one? Like Christian 4. or Christian X?? :dance:

No, we're not, Sweden and their omnipresent Gustav's taking the last Scandinavian spot, of course. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

THE BAR posted:

Ooo, a Norwegian viking leader! Does that mean we'll see a later era Danish one? Like Christian 4. or Christian X?? :dance:

No, we're not, Sweden and their omnipresent Gustav's taking the last Scandinavian spot, of course. :(

Christina for Sweden to make grog heads explode.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Clarste posted:

The Greek Civ this time is thematically a loose alliance of city-states and their leader screen is Gorgo and Pericles arguing with each other about everything.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Christina for Sweden to make grog heads explode.

Theodora isn't looking like she'll make an appearance, so yeah, Christina will fill her spot perfectly.

If you know what I mean. :heysexy:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

THE BAR posted:

Theodora isn't looking like she'll make an appearance, so yeah, Christina will fill her spot perfectly.

You're presumably a guy so you're not Christina's type. :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cythereal posted:

You're presumably a guy so you're not Christina's type. :v:

I guess my point doesn't make much sense, seeing how Theodora's not here!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
He spoke, the son of Kronos, and nodded his head with the dark brows, and the immortally anointed hair of the great god swept from his divine head, and all Olympos was shaken.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Maybe they should use Zoe for the Byzantines :colbert:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe they should use Zoe for the Byzantines :colbert:

Irene. :unsmigghh:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The livestream still isn't up on the official Youtube channel, but it's been uploaded over here.

The Civilopedia is opened around 51 minutes in.

I think we can finally put to rest speculation on whether multiple official civ leaders are planned.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hogama posted:

The livestream still isn't up on the official Youtube channel, but it's been uploaded over here.

I think we can finally put to rest speculation on whether multiple official civ leaders are planned.

"Yeah" hahahaha

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
With the DLC system, multiple leaders per Civ seems like a no brainer, and I'm pumped for it. Also good for modders.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

With the DLC system, multiple leaders per Civ seems like a no brainer, and I'm pumped for it. Also good for modders.

Trump for US leader, with special ability to force other civilizations to fund The Great Wall.

vvvv - Glorious Serbia only needs one leader

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 21, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Great. I'm so ready for six US Presidents while other civs get one leader.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Seriously look at their reaction on the video when they realize they hosed up

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

The other guy didn't really say anything until the driver helpfully scrolled down to show the rest of the leaders.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm ready for six Scythian leaders and one Polish king. :smugdog:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Looks like some people don't remember Civ IV. They've done this before. It's cool, and isn't the end of the world.

In Civ IV only America, England, France, and Russia got three leaders in the end, and that seemed mainly because they were giving out WWII leaders to everyone (all the Allies at least) in that one expansion. Whether other Civs got one or two leaders tended to be pretty reasonable.

The only thing different about this time is first that they have to come up with legit unique traits for each leader, rather than slapping on a couple pre-made ones in various combinations (which is good), and also this is the era of DLC, and there's a lot more potential to put out fan favorite leaders of popular civs (which is more questionable for multiple reasons).

Eiba fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 21, 2016

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Im pretty sure that leader changes the city list since Aachen is Charlemanges capital.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You mean Barbarossa?

Charlemagne isn't a leader.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Im pretty sure that leader changes the city list since Aachen is Charlemanges capital.
There's not one set list anymore. Your capital is always the same, but the rest of your cities are random.

But yeah, I'd imagine each leader would have an appropriate capital. Particularly since we've got an Athenian leader and a Spartan leader.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The order after the capital is random but the cities are still civ specific.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

"Yeah" hahahaha

Well I have to admit that only releasing multiple leaders for certain civs for flavour/balance (??) reasons didn't even cross my mind. Well called.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Chalks posted:

Well I have to admit that only releasing multiple leaders for certain civs for flavour/balance (??) reasons didn't even cross my mind. Well called.

No that's what Ed Beach said when he realized he just leaked a bunch of stuff.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

No that's what Ed Beach said when he realized he just leaked a bunch of stuff.

I just mean that I disagreed with you when you said the civ list meant multiple leaders, didn't even consider that having multiple leaders could be a civ specific mechanic. I wonder if this means more than simply having a choice of leaders at the start of the game or if you would be able to actually change leaders during a game to swap traits. It seems like that's the only way having multiple leaders would actually affect the game instead of just giving you more starting options.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Hogama posted:

lmfao, whoopsies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kurtofan posted:

Oh man that tone of the video really shifts for a couple minutes after that... I think Ed is just about ready to walk out and scream into a pillow but nope he's gotta keep on going for another 20 minutes. Poor guy. They shoulda just owned the mistake and had a laugh.

(actually what they should have done is used a bunch of psuedonyms in the leader list to wind up civfanatics something fierce)