Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

For laughs I like to setup nexus 6 camera next to it and take the same picture.
Yeah this does sound like a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I got mine yesterday and yes it's pretty drat amazing. For laughs I like to setup nexus 6 camera next to it and take the same picture. It's night and day difference

So technology has improved in a two year span? Well, I never...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm sorry. That was mean. I'm glad you are satisfied with your technology purchase.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

How it's more popular than Pokemon Go is honestly beyond me.

Well, it isn't in terms of total downloads, right? Not hard to have a higher rating than an app that launched broken and has had features removed since launch (Pokémon).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress off I want mine now. Is it cool?!

I am really enjoying it. I have been on the S4/6/7 train, so the larger screen is new to me, but am loving it. Beautiful display and build quality.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I've been using Maildroid as my go-to email client, but recent builds have been eating battery and data something fierce. What's the preferred app these days?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gmail or inbox

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Nexus 5 is dying, so I think it's time to buy a new phone.

I've basically been eyeing two alternatives: the Motorola Moto 4G Plus and the Oneplus 3. I'm in Finland so many of the more exotic Chinese exports just aren't available here or are so expensive that they're not really worth it.

I don't play much on my phone, and basically mostly use it as a podcast / music device, a camera and to look poo poo up / navigate places / everyday phone things. With this in mind, I have a feeling the power of the Oneplus might go to waste a bit, but at the same time the 4G Plus isn't exactly cheap in Finland (269 euros for the 16 gig model, the 64 isn't available here) and I can get the Oneplus on a contract from my mobile provider so the price difference doesn't really matter that much. On the plus side for the Plus, its camera is supposed to be truly good but apparently the Oneplus 3 isn't a slouch either.

Does anyone have any experiences with either? They're both highly reviewed, but it'd be useful to hear experiences from people nonetheless. I admit I'm a bit worried about Oneplus' supposedly glacial patching pace and really wouldn't want to wait 6 months for Nougat.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I've been using Maildroid as my go-to email client, but recent builds have been eating battery and data something fierce. What's the preferred app these days?

Assuming you use Gmail, switch to Inbox, it's really really good.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Assuming you use Gmail, switch to Inbox, it's really really good.

I'm trying this for the first time as well for my work exchange account. Seems to work fine.

I'll probably test out a few others while I am tweaking everything.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

I admit I'm a bit worried about Oneplus' supposedly glacial patching pace and really wouldn't want to wait 6 months for Nougat.

this will likely be a problem for both of your choices. I own the non-plus g4 which is the same except the camera and fingerprint scanner and have similar usage habits as you, and it's a good phone with good battery life. the quick charging is nice as well

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Der Shovel posted:

My Nexus 5 is dying, so I think it's time to buy a new phone.

I've basically been eyeing two alternatives: the Motorola Moto 4G Plus and the Oneplus 3. I'm in Finland so many of the more exotic Chinese exports just aren't available here or are so expensive that they're not really worth it.

I don't play much on my phone, and basically mostly use it as a podcast / music device, a camera and to look poo poo up / navigate places / everyday phone things. With this in mind, I have a feeling the power of the Oneplus might go to waste a bit, but at the same time the 4G Plus isn't exactly cheap in Finland (269 euros for the 16 gig model, the 64 isn't available here) and I can get the Oneplus on a contract from my mobile provider so the price difference doesn't really matter that much. On the plus side for the Plus, its camera is supposed to be truly good but apparently the Oneplus 3 isn't a slouch either.

Does anyone have any experiences with either? They're both highly reviewed, but it'd be useful to hear experiences from people nonetheless. I admit I'm a bit worried about Oneplus' supposedly glacial patching pace and really wouldn't want to wait 6 months for Nougat.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?
Are the 5X or waiting a month options?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Got a Note 7 today. gently caress everyone, all of you. This thing is incredible.

I know, I'm stupid and should feel stupid for sarnsunglol.txt

I do not. It's a great device, the end.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

hotsauce posted:

Got a Note 7 today. gently caress everyone, all of you. This thing is incredible.

You don't get Samsung'd until after three to six months of ownership anyways. :v:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Decided to swing by Best Buy on my way home today to see the Note 7. Currently posting from my new Note 7. Replaced my beloved Note 4.

I look forward to a lovely 16 months or so before the battery completely shits the bed and the back falls off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eyebeem posted:

Decided to swing by Best Buy on my way home today to see the Note 7. Currently posting from my new Note 7. Replaced my beloved Note 4.

I look forward to a lovely 16 months or so before the battery completely shits the bed and the back falls off.

How does it compare to the stroller?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My Note 7 pre-order got mixed up and they sent gold instead of black, but I'm just not into myself enough to justify a gold phone so I opted to wait for replacement sometime next week.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The note 5 is 400$ off Swappa in mint condition. These phones depreciate over 50% of their value in one year. Buying them brand new is insane. :psyduck:

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

ratbert90 posted:

The note 5 is 400$ off Swappa in mint condition. These phones depreciate over 50% of their value in one year. Buying them brand new is insane. :psyduck:
That's over half it's support lifetime gone. Only Android devices with any kind of longevity are Nexus devices.

Der Shovel posted:

Never settle for OnePlus. The Nexus 5x 32 GB is €285 on cdon.fi.

Grey Area fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 20, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wish I kept up with poo poo enough to know where to buy a Note 7 unlocked and not get some shenzhen knockoff.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grey Area posted:

That's over half it's support lifetime gone. Only Android devices with any kind of longevity are Nexus devices.

Hell the s7 edge is around 500$ and it's only a few months old.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Looks like the note 7 glass is barely harder than plastic. Be sure to use screen protectors.

http://phandroid.com/2016/08/18/samsung-galaxy-note-7-gorilla-glass-5-fails-scratch-test/

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Syrinxx posted:

Looks like the note 7 glass is barely harder than plastic. Be sure to use screen protectors.

http://phandroid.com/2016/08/18/samsung-galaxy-note-7-gorilla-glass-5-fails-scratch-test/

Yeah, that's a Gorilla Glass thing. Gorilla Glass 4 is super resistant to scratches but not so good against drops, while Gorilla Glass 5 is the other way around.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

hotsauce posted:

Waiting on pins and needles for the eventual Samsunglol.txt or you to come in here in two weeks and tell us you sold it because it just wasn't that great. It'll happen.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

More info

http://www.androidauthority.com/corning-responds-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratch-test-video-711210/

TLDR: Corning claims those "scratches" on the glass are material from the picks rubbing off on it and GG5 is just as scratch resistant as GG4

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 20, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Luchadork posted:

Yeah, that's a Gorilla Glass thing. Gorilla Glass 4 is super resistant to scratches but not so good against drops, while Gorilla Glass 5 is the other way around.

Can't wait for my invincible Gorilla Glass 9 phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SB35 posted:

Waiting on pins and needles for the eventual Samsunglol.txt or you to come in here in two weeks and tell us you sold it because it just wasn't that great. It'll happen.

It's hotsauce so the latter will happen first.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ratbert90 posted:

Samsung actually maintains value relatively well. LG/Motorola/Etc. phones typically sell for at least 60% off new after a year. Used price is even less for obvious reasons.

Samsung phones can usually be found for $100-$200 below MSRP within a month or two of introduction, so I'd agree that buying one new at release date is not a savvy financial decision.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pertplus posted:

More info

http://www.androidauthority.com/corning-responds-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratch-test-video-711210/

TLDR: Corning claims those "scratches" on the glass are material from the picks rubbing off on it and GG5 is just as scratch resistant as GG4

Makes sense, I didn't expect GG5 to be more scratch resistant than 4, because of the big deal about the shatter resistance.

I fully expect people to blame Samsung for this though (samsunglol.txt)

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 20, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wait, cell phones are not great investments? There goes my retirement.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you're a Note user and want action Memo back on your Note 7, go download S Note from the Play Store. It's version 5.1 which is older than 5.2 in Galaxy Apps. In 5.2 it was removed which is kind of dumb. Also turn off auto update in case Samsung updates the S Note in Play Store to 5.2

Action Memo is that little pop up notepad when you hold the pen button down and double tap the screen. I was fairly annoyed when I found out it was gone but this works.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Moey posted:

That was my reaction too :psyduck:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Moey posted:

Guys my LG G2 keeps overheating and the battery life's like eight hours now. It's kind of like these things are only engineered to last 18-24 months before making GBS threads themselves and forcing you to buy another $500-900 "information appliance" halp.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alternate possibility: LG is poo poo

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Huge hint: Your cell phone gets used and abused everyday. Pay for whatever you want/need/can afford.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Eh, i am paying $15/month for 24 months on a note 7. $0 down, zero interest, and a gear fit 2 i was considering buying anyways thrown in for good measure.

I'll spend a few hundred bucks on this phone, sell it in 2 years for $250 to $300 and buy the note 9. Seems like a good enough deal to me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It was an upgrade over my Galaxy Nexus - barely.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

eyebeem posted:

Eh, i am paying $15/month for 24 months on a note 7. $0 down, zero interest, and a gear fit 2 i was considering buying anyways thrown in for good measure.

I'll spend a few hundred bucks on this phone, sell it in 2 years for $250 to $300 and buy the note 9. Seems like a good enough deal to me.

Who is selling you a Note 7 for $360? That doesn't seem to be a deal on any of the major carriers.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Example: The boot-loop issue many of their phones are suffering from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I'm gonna ask a question that might be stupid and embarrassing.

I am looking at buying a new phone. My current computer is a Mac. Last time I had an Android phone, I couldn't update it on my computer. When a software update came out, I had to borrow someone's PC computer to update my phone. Is it still the case that an Android phone won't cooperate with a Mac computer? (Was it the case back then that it actually could and I was just being an idiot?)