Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm pretty sure Arby's is so successful because people who actually have an interest in that nerdy stuff are the ones making it, instead of out-of-touch guys in their 50s who aren't sure what these darn millennials like but will put up whatever's on Google Image Search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The First Amendment does protect broadcast radio advertising, so the federal government is understandably hesitant to try to prevent sirens, car crashes, etc. from being used.

Sort of. If memory serves you can't legally say "gently caress" on the radio to this day. Traditional, terrestrial radio, anyway; anything publicly broadcast that can be picked up free can have limits put on it by the FCC. They could very easily say "no more [censored] sirens and crashes on the radio, OK?" but haven't. I think part of it is because terrestrial radio is dying so nobody cares enough.

I think it's more that businesses would throw a poo poo fit it they tried to actually do that because it gets attention. For better or for worse that gets your attention real drat fast and some advertisers, somewhere decided that's all that matter. Get attention at all costs!!!!!

Though the first amendment goes very far the Supreme Court actually ruled that you can regulate what is broadcast publicly.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sort of. If memory serves you can't legally say "gently caress" on the radio to this day. Traditional, terrestrial radio, anyway; anything publicly broadcast that can be picked up free can have limits put on it by the FCC. They could very easily say "no more [censored] sirens and crashes on the radio, OK?" but haven't. I think part of it is because terrestrial radio is dying so nobody cares enough.

I think it's more that businesses would throw a poo poo fit it they tried to actually do that because it gets attention. For better or for worse that gets your attention real drat fast and some advertisers, somewhere decided that's all that matter. Get attention at all costs!!!!!

Though the first amendment goes very far the Supreme Court actually ruled that you can regulate what is broadcast publicly.

It's not dying, it's kept alive by having almost every station all owned by a singular company. iHeartmedia is kinda garbage, by the way. I always wondered how a Chicago radio station could afford huge music festivals, but it's not "a station", it's ~900 stations all presenting themselves as "a station"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm pretty sure Arby's is so successful because people who actually have an interest in that nerdy stuff are the ones making it, instead of out-of-touch guys in their 50s who aren't sure what these darn millennials like but will put up whatever's on Google Image Search.

Yeah it definitely feels like whoever is making the ads actually appreciates what they're referencing, which makes a huge difference in how it comes across.

Which is kinda weird, since it can't be too hard to find a nerd for any given subject and convince them to vet your ad for minimum wage.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The trick is convincing the higher-ups that they should hire a nerd, and that the nerd's opinion of their ads matters.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i can't believe all I needed to do to market my product is do references to cartoons and pop culture.
this marketing degree is worthless.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
https://funyuns.com/?utm_source=PRG&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=asci_h22016_tizingcollege

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Hardcordion posted:

A fast food chain using video game nostalgia to sell its food sounds like the exact definition of too much pandering.

If people are participating in it and enjoying it I'd say it's successful. If it means Arby's sells some sandwiches then they've identified with some people in a fun way. That's good marketing. Blatant pandering usually isn't well received.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm a woman with nerdy hobbies. As a teen basically nothing was marketed in a way that resonated with me. In the last few years I've finally started to see products and marketing that actually match my interests due to a mix of my generation reaching the age where some of us supposedly have money and increasing awareness of women in tech and so on. Given that when I was a teen nerdy things were targeted almost exclusively at men, I'll gladly take some pandering since it means my opinion and the opinion of people like me matter to someone, even if only because that someone wants our money.

Also on that topic, when I was in college and a bit after that I used to think I was totally above all ads and marketing. However, at the time I was grindingly poor and any spending above necessities was gonna be on the most dearly desired luxuries. Now that I have plenty of money to burn I definitely see marketing in a different light. I like having the existence of material objects that I would probably enjoy owning brought to my attention and sometimes even buying said objects! As long as I don't procreate, I'm going to be enjoying all kinds of consumer goods from now on or at least until I die in the robot wars. :capitalism:

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Arby's making video game references in their social media ads makes sense, because in the time it takes to get through an Arby's drive through you could probably finish most video games.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I just had a thought. Aside from wealthy parents buying them for their kids, why do car manufacturers market cars like the Kia Soul and Scion xB to young people? You would think that they'd notice that most young folks can't afford a new car. It seems like those sorts of cars are bought by older people who want a small, economical and practical car. A little bit of style doesn't hurt.

Maybe those cars get passed down or bought used a few years later but car companies don't give a poo poo about the second or third owner. I, for one would prefer to buy a nicer car used than a bargain utility car new as well. Maybe they market them as hip so oldsters think that they're buying the coolest new thing. I dunno. Just seems like the people that enjoy the dancing lady gaga hamster commercials aren't the people that buy those cars.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wait, that's everywhere? I went to an Arby's with a dumbwaiter drive through and it took 15 minutes to get a reuben meal. I thought it was just the dumbwaiter's fault, but it turns out they have lovely food and lovely service at all locations

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

These are the same people who think cars in wrapping paper are gifts people give to husband/wife for christmas are good ads

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That guy who does regular car reviews said that the scion cars are actually most adopted by old people because of the low clearance needed to get in and out. I have no idea if it's true or not but the idea made me laugh given how aggressively the scion wants to be the car of young people.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Surprise $35,000 car for Christmas? I think the people with both the money to pay for the car and the people who would impulsively buy a car based on an ad don't really overlap that much.

Or maybe that's the point? Get dumb people trapped into predatory car loans

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I just had a thought. Aside from wealthy parents buying them for their kids, why do car manufacturers market cars like the Kia Soul and Scion xB to young people? You would think that they'd notice that most young folks can't afford a new car. It seems like those sorts of cars are bought by older people who want a small, economical and practical car. A little bit of style doesn't hurt.

Maybe those cars get passed down or bought used a few years later but car companies don't give a poo poo about the second or third owner. I, for one would prefer to buy a nicer car used than a bargain utility car new as well. Maybe they market them as hip so oldsters think that they're buying the coolest new thing. I dunno. Just seems like the people that enjoy the dancing lady gaga hamster commercials aren't the people that buy those cars.

Might be for brand awareness as well. I'm reminded of the story of how Coke discontinued some ads after it was discovered that pretty much all humans on earth knew of it, but then continued again when they found sales dropped.

When I lived in Tanzania I saw coca-cola signs in villages super far from any major population center. That's my coke story, thanks for listening.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

That guy who does regular car reviews said that the scion cars are actually most adopted by old people because of the low clearance needed to get in and out. I have no idea if it's true or not but the idea made me laugh given how aggressively the scion wants to be the car of young people.

The PT Cruiser too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVJKPUVcLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxqtnI4I4c

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

they succeeded pretty well with the FR-S

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The last Arby's shut down here years ago. I kind of miss that horsey sauce.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, that's everywhere? I went to an Arby's with a dumbwaiter drive through and it took 15 minutes to get a reuben meal. I thought it was just the dumbwaiter's fault, but it turns out they have lovely food and lovely service at all locations

Arby's is always a five-ten minute wait at the location by my house, because the chicken tenders are not popular there and so it's a wait for them to be prepared - I actually can't fault them for that, because it's nice to know my food isn't just being microwaved from that morning (it is at least being oven-reheated!)

The location near my university serves chicken more frequently, it seems, and as a result there is never a wait for fresh chicken. I am willing to wait and pay more for Arby's because it does the least to upset my stomach compared to any other fast food offering.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Maybe they market them as hip so oldsters think that they're buying the coolest new thing.

I think this is it, honestly. Aside from people who are just plain rich, most expensive car sales are from people going through a mid life crisis.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Re: cars, I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere but at this point most of the big car manufacturers make essentially the same three or four kinds of car. When all brands are selling the same product at the same price, which one you buy in the dealership will essentially come down to what brand has marketed itself toward you most effectively. It's why you get stuff like solid snake selling you a car, because if you're looking at four identical cars in the dealership, you'll (in theory) pick the one that had the funny advert you liked.

But what do I know, I can't afford a car.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

mind the walrus posted:

Well Scion is dead now anyways, but what you're saying was only really true for the first bit of their marketing. Later they focused more on "Scion is the discount brand focused on X" with X being different for every car. They switched over to marketing the xB pretty heavily as a mom car because it has a lot of internal capacity and a really large back seat area for kids. The tC and those cars were always marketed at men in their late 20's who wanted a "sporty" sedan that didn't break the bank, basically the kind of people who would buy a low end Lexus but can't afford one. The FR-S was aimed at young people and has been successful in that demo from what I've heard.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Arby's social media team posted the Steven Universe logo made out of potato cakes on a red background, and then when people in the comments started a chain of posting lyrics line by line, Arby's participated in the comments :3:

However, their marketing dedication to the color red also means they post Team Valor poo poo, which is like the Donald Trump of Pokemon Go teams.
Are we going to let this completely absurd line simply fly by?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the only team that is good is instinct, anyway.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I bought a ScionXB as my first new car when I was in my mid/late 20's. My entire thought process was "It's cheap as poo poo, aggressively ugly, and insanely roomy inside". It was a great little car, I put almost 200k on it with no major repairs and I was a fool for selling it. I think my payments were like $200-300 a month?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I always see folks in this thread say "who can afford ______." A lot of people don't seem to realize that the more wealth is concentrated in that top layer of society, the more marketing will be designed to extract larger amounts of money from fewer people. In other words, the more stratified society gets, the more out of touch most advertising will seem to most people.

And just for the record my parents loving love the Kia hamsters. They're terrible at model names, so they literally call the soul "that hamster car." I could easily believe those commercials were targeting adults who want to feel like they "get" the younger generations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Car owners are very brand loyal.So, who do want as the people to attract to your brand:

a) 23-year ols who will buy cars for the next 50 years, increasing in value as their spending power increases or
5) 63-year olds who will buy cars for the next 10 years, decreasing in value as their assets dry up?

Wasn't this an issue Cadillac had: fanatically loyal buyers who'd buy overpriced crap based on the brand, but were dying out as a breed.?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Re: Arby's. Whoever they hired in marketing in the last few years definitely knows what they're doing. They ran an ironic sendoff piece when the daily show went off the air a few years ago, and that's the first time I can clearly identify an ad made me buy something (I hadn't been to arbys in 10+ years before that).

It's like they copied the good Denny's tweets were getting a few years ago, but actually put effort into it rather than just saying gently caress it and putting the word "pancakes" into an otherwise normal tweet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tracula posted:

Not a dumb move:
https://m.facebook.com/arbys/

loving hell I gotta give it to them. The video game and TV references they make are simple, cute and don't feel like they're pandering too much. That's something you can definitely gently caress up if you try too hard or are out of touch but Arby's has done it rather well. Good on them.

These guys don't quit

Caption: The last metroid is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace...

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Maybe they market them as hip so oldsters think that they're buying the coolest new thing. I dunno. Just seems like the people that enjoy the dancing lady gaga hamster commercials aren't the people that buy those cars.

I want you to memorize the word "aspirational" and look at every ad with it in mind, because I guarantee you it was said at least once in the development of any ad. Commercials are aimed at who they think you want to be, not who you actually are. Same with the "surprise, I bought you a luxury car!" ads. They don't think anybody is going to actually do that, but they want you to think that this car is bought by the sort of people who would.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think it's more that businesses would throw a poo poo fit it they tried to actually do that because it gets attention.
Years ago there was a brake change shop that advertised on the local radio stations with an ad that opened with squealing brakes -- the kind of metal on metal sound you get when your pads are completely shot. You want to talk about something that grabs attention, christ. To make matters worse it was already loud in comparison to the rest of the ads and music, so if you had your stereo cranked up you'd really get an earful.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Why the hell do you guys listen to the radio when you can get an FM transmitter for like 12 bucks that plugs into your phone if you don't have an auxiliary jack

Radio seems like it's 40℅ ads and some them are awful to listen to

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

stringball posted:

Why the hell do you guys listen to the radio when you can get an FM transmitter for like 12 bucks that plugs into your phone if you don't have an auxiliary jack

Lots of cars don't have auxiliary jacks.

E: I read this worng but yeah, Last Chance is right and FM transmitters are garbage.

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Aug 20, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

stringball posted:

Because those sound like poo poo especially if there's no "empty" frequencies that you can tune to. Depends on where you live I guess, but I've always hated them.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Chitin posted:

I want you to memorize the word "aspirational" and look at every ad with it in mind, because I guarantee you it was said at least once in the development of any ad. Commercials are aimed at who they think you want to be, not who you actually are. Same with the "surprise, I bought you a luxury car!" ads. They don't think anybody is going to actually do that, but they want you to think that this car is bought by the sort of people who would.

Read any of the advertising related posts on the last psychiatrist if you haven't already

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2013/09/real_men_want_to_drink_guinnes.html

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

stringball posted:

I just burned some mp3s to cd and listen to that. gently caress radio.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Strudel Man posted:

The antibiotics thing is a positive change, even if people's motivations there have nothing to do with the real reason loading up everything with antibiotics is bad. But the new panic about additives, preservatives, and GMOs is basically superstition.

We really haven't.
This is the most :3: thing I've read in a while.

"Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place"

eta: gently caress it, I know I'm behind the thread, who cares

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Aug 20, 2016

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Re: Arby's

They were one of the sponsors for TBS's ELEAGUE™ (which was fine if you want watch CS:GO on your TV). So, all the video game ads makes sense to me. What was really strange to me was Credit Karma as the "Official Personal Finance partner". I don't know if 18-25 is the market that cares about their credit score but it's also not the early 2000's and credit is a thing people in that age group grew up worrying about.

BallisticClipboard has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

stringball posted:

Ironically, I've basically stopped listening to radio unless there's nothing else available in the car but I'll happily listen to old radio archives to get a feel for a particular time period.