Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There's a spock face hidden in that asteroid flyby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Frog Act posted:

my brother told me it wasn' tlike the last two which both left me basically apoplectic so in my defense i really didn't think i was going to a comic book movie this time

this time around they played more of the beastie boys song and the skydiving analog wasn't all in the same direction

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i almost got up and left the theater when the beastie boys came on

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm glad that they pulled of the futurama "ahhh classical music" joke

which makes lil carthief kirk at the beginning of the first one quite a bit more cultured in retrospect

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

THC posted:

if the bad guy's human, why does he look like that? If it's a side effect of his blue lightning powers, why do all his bad guy minions look like that too? We only ever see the one guy use it. Are they all former Franklin crew members or are they natives of the planet? Where did they come from? Whats going on

The alien life leeching device had a side effect of making him look like the alien society that left behind the drone army and swarm ships. The other guy who wasn't a drone was the only other surviving member of the Franklin's crew.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Arcsquad12 posted:

The alien life leeching device had a side effect of making him look like the alien society that left behind the drone army and swarm ships. The other guy who wasn't a drone was the only other surviving member of the Franklin's crew.

And the girl alien from the beginning.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can't believe there's actually people who don't like Star Trek IV.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Burning_Monk posted:

And the girl alien from the beginning.

No, she was one of the people stranded on the planet, and evil dude blackmailed her into luring a Federation vessel to the planet.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

cheerfullydrab posted:

thats crazy its probably the most accessible one made.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Tighclops posted:

the JJverse asthetics are mostly ugly though

I didn't like the second movie all that much but the opening scene with the red/yellow/black/white bit in the jungle was very striking I thought

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The JJ movies version of the Federation looks like the Federation from Starship Troopers, right down to the grey, fascist inspired uniforms. At least in Beyond they got some nice blue field jackets that reminded me of the decent costuming from Enterprise.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
at least the foley for the new ones is spot on

esp w/ the ship-mounted phasers and that scanning ping that they like to say stardate over

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, she was one of the people stranded on the planet, and evil dude blackmailed her into luring a Federation vessel to the planet.

That was lie. "Do you believe every sad story you hear?" ~ her line to Kirk. There were three survivors of the Franklin, this is said directly. She was the other one.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 19, 2016

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah she was one of the humans from Idris Elbas crew

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kalara

Edit, yeah what that guy said ^

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That makes no sense though, why would the universal translator need to be recalibrated for her? She could just speak English.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

She was lying to them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So part of her lying was spending 150 years developing a functioning alien language so far removed from English that the universal translator could only translate into robot speak? Wait, I'm over thinking this. I liked the movie.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I wrote an unpublished essay after I watched Into Darkness and I justified the recent Trek movies as modern action films and I can appreciate them as such. The TV series stories were mostly ethical dramas, thrillers, horror, or comedies which I appreciate too but I can see why expectations are way off. They really didn't have the budget to make good action TV most of the time and there isn't enough of an audience to make a movie about Quark dressed as a woman.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Frog Act posted:

i almost got up and left the theater when the beastie boys came on

Are you loving ser...

Wtf is ...

:frogout:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it was jarring and stupid

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Frog Act posted:

Touche

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Frog Act posted:

Walking out of a movie is one of the most arrogant pissbaby things a grown man can do. You've already paid for the movie, no one gives a single poo poo what you do after that transaction, and your grand exit goes completely unnoticed by everyone other than yourself. Just watch the loving movie. Everyone who's ever gone to the theater has seen a poo poo movie at one time or another and it's never killed them. At the very least, sitting through garbage gives you a useful metric for what works and doesn't work in film.

That said, the Beastie Boys resolution was telegraphed 30 minutes in and if you thought it was jarring, then you weren't paying attention to the film. It's also an obvious metaphor for the Kelvin films honoring their cinematic heritage while simultaneously forging their own path. That's the theme of the entire loving movie. It's literally spelled out in the first ten minutes with McCoy and Kirk toasting the dead elder Kirk.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
If Beastie Boys and Public Enemy are classical artists it makes you wonder if they named any ships or installations after any other artists

USS Bizkit

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 19, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MrSlam posted:

If Beastie Boys and Public Enemy are classical artists it makes you wonder if they named any ships or installations after any other artists

USS Bizkit

The USS Milli Vanilli has an elaborate false history to cover the fact that it's used by Section 31.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
The Prime Directive is the star trek universes age of consent law because the USS Michael Jackson would not leave pre-warp societies alone

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm glad that they pulled of the futurama "ahhh classical music" joke

which makes lil carthief kirk at the beginning of the first one quite a bit more cultured in retrospect

To be fair that joke was stolen from spock's "ah yes, the giants" from ST4.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The Prime Directive is the star trek universes age of consent law because the USS Michael Jackson would not leave pre-warp societies alone

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The bonership USS Hugh Jackman pretends to run on a matter/antimatter reaction but it really runs best on matter/matter interaction.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
USS SONNY BONO hit a tree on its retirement cruise

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Walking out of a movie is one of the most arrogant pissbaby things a grown man can do. You've already paid for the movie, no one gives a single poo poo what you do after that transaction, and your grand exit goes completely unnoticed by everyone other than yourself. Just watch the loving movie. Everyone who's ever gone to the theater has seen a poo poo movie at one time or another and it's never killed them. At the very least, sitting through garbage gives you a useful metric for what works and doesn't work in film.

That said, the Beastie Boys resolution was telegraphed 30 minutes in and if you thought it was jarring, then you weren't paying attention to the film. It's also an obvious metaphor for the Kelvin films honoring their cinematic heritage while simultaneously forging their own path. That's the theme of the entire loving movie. It's literally spelled out in the first ten minutes with McCoy and Kirk toasting the dead elder Kirk.

lol you're pretty angry about someone not even leaving a movie. also i don't give a poo poo if it's telegraphed, i don't expect shoehorned 1990s hip hop to be a key plot point of a star trek movie. i don't think that's an outrageous expectation

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I think a post-ds9 movie about the Romulans discovering sisko and garaks murder plot might be entertaining.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

I think a post-ds9 movie about the Romulans discovering sisko and garaks murder plot might be entertaining.

anything with Garak or Jeffrey Combs would be fantastic

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

You have to buy the DLC/expanded universe material

burn capitalism to the ground

cheerfullydrab posted:

it's true, there are people who literally hate fun.

some of them live among us.

:psylon:

(did they get rid of the razz cylon?)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Walking out of a movie is one of the most arrogant pissbaby things a grown man can do. You've already paid for the movie, no one gives a single poo poo what you do after that transaction, and your grand exit goes completely unnoticed by everyone other than yourself.

I thought the point of walking out was to go whine at the theater manager and ask for a refund :confused:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Walking out of a movie is one of the most arrogant pissbaby things a grown man can do. You've already paid for the movie, no one gives a single poo poo what you do after that transaction, and your grand exit goes completely unnoticed by everyone other than yourself. Just watch the loving movie.

sorry but if I'm gonna have a better time if I just leave then I'll leave because that ticket price is gone either way SUNK COST motherfucka and there's no reason to sit through some poo poo I don't want to sit through just bc of that

that said I don't think I've ever walked out on a movie

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Frog Act posted:

Best part of a good movie. :colbert:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I liked the inclusion of Ooby Dooby and Magic Carpet Ride in First Contact

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
They repeated the Magic Carpet sample as I recall. But it fit.

DS9- the Maquis two parter:
The whole first episode the colony head honcho looked really familiar but I couldn't place him. Police Academy? No. .... Then a minute into the second it hit me- a character from my childhood home's favorite films - the Tri-lamb guy from Revenge of the Nerds! (Mom pushed the movie on 12 year old me not knowing about the nude parts or pot scene).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Disappointed the thread doesn't just forget about the existence of the last page everytime.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i just cant get enough of this gif ever