Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

orenronen posted:

I don't think Chihiro created the Nanami AI (or the Junko ones, for that matter) himself. It's more like his research and the technology he created was used by others later to create the non-Alter Ego AIs. Same with Matsuda, of course - he died long before the world-level incident. Miaya is probably the only one who was directly involved in the project.

But doesn't Nanami refer to Usami as sister and then mentions having a brother and a father at the end of chapter 5 in DR2? And in her free time events she mentions her father worked with computers, I mean she never says the father and brother are Chihiro and Alter-Ego but that's the only thing I can imagine.

I mean yeah it could be just like you said and people just took Chihiro's technology to help in the project but in terms of Nanami the fact that she calls him her father makes me think he really did create her.

And about the Junko AI thing I never got the idea that Chihiro made that, I always used that it was Izuro since he should also be very good at creating that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

IceBorg posted:

And about the Junko AI thing I never got the idea that Chihiro made that, I always used that it was Izuro since he should also be very good at creating that.

I thought it was Monaca because she's the robotics prodigy and both Kurokuma and Shirokuma were in Towa city helping advance her plans.
Now I think about it though Izuro can easily be the boogyman behind the AI and lots of things since he can do pretty much anything.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Junko's AI claims that she was made while the real one was still alive so it could have been anyone really

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

IceBorg posted:

I mean yeah it could be just like you said and people just took Chihiro's technology to help in the project but in terms of Nanami the fact that she calls him her father makes me think he really did create her.

I don't think there's any contradiction there. Chihiro created the technology to take someone's personality parameters and make an AI out of them. AI Nanami is his metaphorical daughter even if he wasn't the one who did the actual data input.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

so wait, Junko isn't only the Ultimate Fashionista and the Ultimate Despair, but also the Ultimate Logician? This is some Super King Crimson Level: Broken bullshit here.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

so wait, Junko isn't only the Ultimate Fashionista and the Ultimate Despair, but also the Ultimate Logician? This is some Super King Crimson Level: Broken bullshit here.

Junko was born with analytic superpowers, which led to her despair fetish. She also used them to get ahead in the Tokyo Gyaru subculture (a subculture whose leaders are famous for being charismatic influencers who got there by being very good at reading the state of things), and that's the "talent" under which Hope's Peak scouted her.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Slokir posted:

I thought it was Monaca because she's the robotics prodigy and both Kurokuma and Shirokuma were in Towa city helping advance her plans.
Now I think about it though Izuro can easily be the boogyman behind the AI and lots of things since he can do pretty much anything.

I don't think Monaca knew because her whole "Let's make a new Junko" wouldn't make sense if she knew Kurokuma was a AI Junko, they even reference that in the ending when AI Junko says the whole Monaca plan was stupid to begin with because the original Junko still existed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Xelkelvos posted:

Izuru very much seemed like a tabula rasa when Junko met him so if someone like Yukizome or even Komaeda met him first, something very different probably would have happened. I'm also fairly certain Junko and Izuzru's super analytic skills would be no match for Komaeda's luck.

Izuru seemed like he was content to just 'bring hope' or whatever the researchers wanted, even though he seemed to find the idea boring.

I wonder why they thought deleting every trace of his personality and leaving only a bored superhuman was necessary. :psyduck:

alcharagia posted:

junko should gently caress off

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I can't believe she gave that man the ol' Spicy Spoon.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder why they thought deleting every trace of his personality and leaving only a bored superhuman was necessary. :psyduck:

Sounded like he woke up screaming a few times before they resorted to that

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

IceBorg posted:

But doesn't Nanami refer to Usami as sister and then mentions having a brother and a father at the end of chapter 5 in DR2? And in her free time events she mentions her father worked with computers, I mean she never says the father and brother are Chihiro and Alter-Ego but that's the only thing I can imagine.

I thought that Alter Ego made AI Chiaki and Usami, Alter Ego can pretty easily imitate someone's personality given enough information so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to make a full-on AI like that. Usami at least was made for a really specific purpose so she couldn't have appeared until post-DR1, no idea where AI Chiaki came from though.

Or the Junko AI, for that matter. That might just be a weird Monokuma thing.

EDIT:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hope's Peak is basically Aperture Science for talented teenagers. They're really, really obsessed with talent and don't consider that fostering that talent and nothing else leads to a bunch of easily-manipulated broken people who are really good at one thing.

Also I think someone responsible is DR0's protagonist who is the Ultimate Neurologist and also a complete rear end in a top hat.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 19, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Izuru seemed like he was content to just 'bring hope' or whatever the researchers wanted, even though he seemed to find the idea boring.

Yep she's still perfect

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Too pure for this hope-filled world

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kind of don't see how you can dislike Junko too much and even like the franchise. She embodies it in a lot of ways. I mean, she literally is Monokuma, who is in no uncertain terms the series mascot.

Intense and overwrought sometimes. Flighty, flaky, and impossible to take serious the rest of the time. Am I talking about the character Enoshima Junko or Danganronpa itself?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Danganronpa is a good series UDG aside and Junko is pretty good too. Danganronpa 2 was a good game. This has been a good show, first few episodes of Future notwithstanding.

There's my hot critique. Also I wish we could just get a 200-episode slice of life anime with the DR2 cast like the first two episodes of Despair were.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kind of don't see how you can dislike Junko too much and even like the franchise. She embodies it in a lot of ways. I mean, she literally is Monokuma, who is in no uncertain terms the series mascot.

i'll fully admit my relationship with this series is complex, confusing, and bizarre in that even though i call myself a fan of this series i find it much easier to complain about it than talk about what i like about it when i'm not recommending it to someone or talking to someone going through the games for the first time

except for nagito who is a precious child, and deserves nothing but praise for being the best character

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
basically taking junko enoshima on a line-by-line basis when she's actually present in the games? yeah she's funny and good. i just hate this giant mythos that's been built up around her and how she's actually a superhuman analyst antichrist who can destroy the world by just being super ultra. i especially hate dangan ronpa 0 and ultra despair girls for largely this reason though i assure you ultra despair girls being a poo poo game doesn't help. this is the primary reason i want hope's peak academy to gently caress off

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

alcharagia posted:

i'll fully admit my relationship with this series is complex, confusing, and bizarre in that even though i call myself a fan of this series i find it much easier to complain about it than talk about what i like about it when i'm not recommending it to someone or talking to someone going through the games for the first time

except for nagito who is a precious child, and deserves nothing but praise for being the best character

you're just a tsundere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of the poo poo you dislike actually started in DR2, even in DR0 her nonsense was on a more personalized scale and was nowhere near the level that DR2 went with saying she literally leads the world and has millions of dudes ready to roll at her beck and call and who also want to gently caress and graft her body parts into themselves.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yes, that's why i said "especially hate," because dr2 has that but it also has good stuff that i like and is good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DR2 also had stuff I like, but I would not call it good. I wouldn't call it terrible either, but it is an incredibly disappointing game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Baal posted:

DR2 also had stuff I like, but I would not call it good. I wouldn't call it terrible either, but it is an incredibly disappointing game.

my bad- "good stuff that i like and is good" is a singular block. the "and is good" is describing the good stuff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know what you're saying, shut up.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
well, ok?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

I read a probably-crappy translation of it, so I can't say for sure either way. I suppose I could also be misremembering.

Well you DID call him Izuku... :haw:

voltcatfish posted:

i'm also a fan of cliched love stories so i'm looking forward to real nanami and izuru reuniting in the final ep

she's dead as heck, jim.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 19, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I actually really love dr2 so I dunno, but all of this has been really good. And especially Junko because I don't see how any one else could single-handedly destroy everything. There's no super secret council of idiots pretending this was all according to their plan. This is just someone who wants to kill everyone and has too much influence living out a fantasy and I'm glad of it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

Watching this is making me realize that I don't think I like Junko as a villain. Despair is such a vague catch-all motive, and her curazy being so unpredictable feels kind of lazy to me. She just does whatever the plot needs her to do. She just feels the fate on random people because they'll be important later.

I liked her when she was the villain of the first game and thats about it, because it foreshadowed her being the villain a bit and waved away the dumb stuff with "does it REALLY matter?"

Junko sucks and i hope the DRv3 villain dunks on her somehow.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Intense and overwrought sometimes. Flighty, flaky, and impossible to take serious the rest of the time. Am I talking about the character Enoshima Junko or Danganronpa itself?

I like the other characters and seeing them interact for the most part, as well as trying to figure out the greater mystery behind their situation as they try to escape it. The villain that facilitates the situation is ultimately not that important.

Kinda like 999, imo.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 19, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The villain that facilitates the situation is actually super important and your trying to divorce them from that does not change that they are the sole reason everything has happened.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The way I felt about DR2 was that the highs were higher and the lows were lower compared to the first game. Chapters 1 and 2 were good, 3 was bad because of the motive and trial, 4 was mostly ok but the motive was really lovely and then 5 and 6 were a wild ride that I blitzed through late one night. I like it a lot more than the first game though because there were so many improvements in terms of gameplay, quality of life features, and interesting new mechanics. I also like the cast of 2 much more than the cast of 1. I actually had strong opinions on characters compared to the first game and legitimately feared every approaching investigation and trial because my favorites had to die; it was just a matter of when or how.

Junko is a great villain in the first game, but I think that was her peak. I've felt like every subsequent showing has cheapened her character either making her more crazy, less realistic, or more all-powerful and it hasn't really helped. Fast-forward to the show right now and as someone here put it, she's basically switched on to Crazy the whole time and suddenly has the ability to manipulate or understand Fate. Like, I'm all in following this thing to the end, but I get the feeling that somehow it's going to STILL be her influence (maybe even directly, where Monaca is indirect) causing whatever's happening in the Future Arc even though she's been dead for two games now and at least a year, maybe more in-universe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly part of why I'd be looking forward to them segueing in to interacting with the DR1 class, if they ever did that, would that we'd have to see her actually acting like a normal person for a whole year. Mukuro too (did the DR1 cast ever figure out they were twins then?).

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

FPzero posted:

The way I felt about DR2 was that the highs were higher and the lows were lower compared to the first game. Chapters 1 and 2 were good, 3 was bad because of the motive and trial, 4 was mostly ok but the motive was really lovely and then 5 and 6 were a wild ride that I blitzed through late one night. I like it a lot more than the first game though because there were so many improvements in terms of gameplay, quality of life features, and interesting new mechanics. I also like the cast of 2 much more than the cast of 1. I actually had strong opinions on characters compared to the first game and legitimately feared every approaching investigation and trial because my favorites had to die; it was just a matter of when or how.
Yeah I agree. DR2 has its faults, but I think the only characters I didn't care about were Komaeda, Koizumi, Mikan and Hanamura. With DR1 the characters not only felt more one-dimensional, but there was never a sense of camaraderie among the whole group like there was in DR2. They were mostly unlikable and the better characters died very early on. If Another Episode is good for anything, it's that it fleshed Touko's character out a lot because they separated her from Togami and actually gained a friend in Komaru.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly part of why I'd be looking forward to them segueing in to interacting with the DR1 class, if they ever did that, would that we'd have to see her actually acting like a normal person for a whole year. Mukuro too (did the DR1 cast ever figure out they were twins then?).

Here's the thing, though - I suspect her general attitude will be the same and all she suppresses is talking about despair and her plans (and killing people, I guess). Junko's main mode is exactly what I expect an SHSL gyaru to act like in this universe given how most other characters talk and act - gyarus in the real world are stereotypically loud and vulgar and sometimes seen as teen delinquents. Her comment about enjo kosai, for example, wouldn't be out of place even if she wasn't using someone's eyeball to break into a secure location at the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Did Tsumiki even have any fans? I don't know how the cast stacks up in terms of popularity (I know Kirigiri's in the top 10 or something) but I imagine she'd be near the bottom rung.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She has a lot of art on pixiv, but idk if that actually translates to character popularity. Even going by that standard the main 3 are the ones with the most art too.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Danganronpa 2s biggest problem is that having people run around on a big island doesnt really lend itself to mystery solving - chapter 4 being in an enclosed space made me realize how much better that type of setup is for the murder cases. having people going around the island and half the locations not even being relevant just doesnt work for me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also how does the DR1 cast feel like they don't have a sense of camaraderie when so many chapters in the game are about bringing the characters closer together and even early chapters start unify certain characters more until they become a unit. I mean gently caress, the remains of the DR1 cast is established by their absolute trust in one another except Hagakure who is just a punching bag.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

haha yes mikan is extremely popular

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I trust in Hagakure.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I liked Mikan and was sad to see her as the murderer in Chapter 3, doubly so when it turned out the only reason she did what she did was because of the stupid Despair Disease thing. I was in the middle of her Free Times and it seemed like all she needed was a friend that didn't want to beat her up or take advantage of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

orenronen posted:

Her comment about enjo kosai, for example, wouldn't be out of place even if she wasn't using someone's eyeball to break into a secure location at the time.

Speaking of which, it was interesting reading in that article you linked how the association between gyaru and enjo kosai was basically a myth and most girls who did enjo kosai (which was probably heavily overstated to begin with) were more the outcast type.

• Locked thread