Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CubanMissile posted:

I'm kinda surprised Olympic cricket isn't a thing.

I tend to think along the lines of more is better for Olympic competitions. I'm glad baseball/softball is returning because I think it's nice for softball girls to be relevant every few years. Skateboarding (even though they're being babies about it) and surfing are things I like to watch and the X Games are getting less and less relevant. Rock climbing makes a lot of sense to me for the Olympics.

It's no skin off my back if there are sports in there I don't like because I don't have to watch them. But I guess things like cost and the games being too bloated are things to consider. I definitely think we could do without race walking and air rifle. I just hate air rifle because every time I see it I think about how much cooler a 3 gun competition would be. Never happen though since real guns are a hot button issue and they're totally illegal most places you'd want to actually have host.

There's a lot of manpower required for every event, even if nobody shows up. A few months ago Rio claimed it needed 70k volunteers to operate smoothly. After day 1 they were down to 50k volunteers, and now they're reportedly down to 35k volunteers. As the holdouts are required to work more frequently, stay longer, and transfer between venues on their own dime (not to mention eat food which is supposedly not being provided adequately), they will drop out too.

They can't possible introduce any new sports without eliminating some of the bloat, because the venues will be ghost-town hellholes with nobody to clean them up or help people get around.

e; three page snipes in a row get me to the loving olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Could they get each sporting federation to pay for their own staff for each event to cut costs? I'm sure organizations like FIFA, FIBA, etc. have enough money to give some people meager salaries to work an event.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's not for lack of money. IOC doesn't want to pay people because each country has their own labor laws that then come into play. In many countries IOC is then considered an employer, and any abuses to workers or by workers, injuries, or illegal hiring practices can be actionable.

It's much easier to exploit people when you call them "volunteers."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The people in charge of cricket don't want it to be in the olympics. It would "weaken the game", by which I of course mean "endanger the stranglehold they have over the world game and their ability to funnel money out of a billion people on the subcontinent".

I think they'd mostly just get offended by having to let someone else embezzle some of the money.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Didn't FIBA want to pull basketball out because they wanted their own world cup to matter more? That strikes me as flawed thinking considering Olympic basketball has done a lot to raise the profile of the game internationally. If they're thinking doing that will make them anything like the football world cup they are deluded.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

CubanMissile posted:

I'm kinda surprised Olympic cricket isn't a thing.

I tend to think along the lines of more is better for Olympic competitions. I'm glad baseball/softball is returning because I think it's nice for softball girls to be relevant every few years. Skateboarding (even though they're being babies about it) and surfing are things I like to watch and the X Games are getting less and less relevant. Rock climbing makes a lot of sense to me for the Olympics.

It's no skin off my back if there are sports in there I don't like because I don't have to watch them. But I guess things like cost and the games being too bloated are things to consider. I definitely think we could do without race walking and air rifle. I just hate air rifle because every time I see it I think about how much cooler a 3 gun competition would be. Never happen though since real guns are a hot button issue and they're totally illegal most places you'd want to actually have host.

I'd love for 3 gun to happen as well, but I'll be content I live somewhere I can at least participate instead.

I can't wait for Germany to stomp Brazil tomorrow and the ensuing riots/dumpster fires/etc.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

PathAsc posted:

I can't wait for Germany to stomp Brazil tomorrow and the ensuing riots/dumpster fires/etc.

And murders

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PathAsc posted:

The referees will be so bought off every German goal will be disallowed and red cards if they complain.
Germany still win on penalties.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would like to see a brazillian team fail to win a trophy in a half empty stadium

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"How can the seats be empty? This is Brazil playing football in Brazil!"
"Well, we dedicated those seats to our political guests who didn't show, those seats to our sponsors who couldn't find clients who would be impressed with attending, those seats to members of the olympic federation who've been trying to sell them, those seats to some school children who live a hundred miles away and couldn't get here..."

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

And those other empty seats are paying ticket holders... who are stuck somewhere in our labyrinthine and kafkaesque concessions queues.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'm watching rhymthic gymnanist at one am; what is happening to me

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

do you think race walking was originally made to be a nice sport for older people and those less physically fit but then a bunch of loving weirdos turned up and started jogging and making GBS threads themselves?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
seems like it was popular in the 19th century and somewhere along the line someone invented the funny walk technique

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The saga of the race-walker, in 2 parts,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJpT1Hyeuw

THE END

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/race-walk-leader-appears-to-be-having-poop-problems-1785499773

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

do you think race walking was originally made to be a nice sport for older people and those less physically fit but then a bunch of loving weirdos turned up and started jogging and making GBS threads themselves?
The rules should be revamped to require competitors wear a gentleman's attire and employ a posh walking stick.

The pants-making GBS threads would be exta entertaining then.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This Is The Most Intense Racewalking Clip You'll See All Day

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

he did got up and finished 8th.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUx3h63Xbpk

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lol that dude basically drops dead and everyone is like 'welp, later loser" and turbowalk rigt past him, then one dude walks up and takes a photo or something.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Kent Farrington is the most on the nose name I can imagine for a guy that jumps horses competitively.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lol that dude basically drops dead and everyone is like 'welp, later loser" and turbowalk rigt past him, then one dude walks up and takes a photo or something.

I bet it was Selfie Guy from when the motorcycles wrecked during the torch relay.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
So here's more depth on marathon pants making GBS threads than anyone probably wanted: http://www.businessinsider.com/olympics-runner-yohann-diniz-poop-problems-why-marathons-are-bad-2016-8

Edit: pretty sure the vodka is for health reasons.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 20, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

So here's more depth on marathon pants making GBS threads than anyone probably wanted: http://www.businessinsider.com/olympics-runner-yohann-diniz-poop-problems-why-marathons-are-bad-2016-8

Edit: pretty sure the vodka is for health reasons.

Safer than the water down there, at least.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Both feet visibly left the ground, yellow card.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Safer than the water down there, at least.

You can see through it, at least.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

tater_salad posted:

Both feet visibly left the ground, yellow card.

I'm on the motorcycle behind to keep up with the walking.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
U.S. swimmer Gunnar Bentz tells his story of Rio gas station incident

“After attending an event with several swimmers from different nations, I left in a taxicab along with U.S. swimmers Jack Conger, Jimmy Feigen and Ryan Lochte around 6 a.m. On the way back to the Olympic Village, we pulled into a convenience store to use the restroom. There was no restroom inside, so we foolishly relieved ourselves on the backside of the building behind some bushes. There was a locked door out back and I did not witness anyone breaking it open. I am unsure why, but while we were in that area, Ryan pulled to the ground a framed metal advertisement that was loosely anchored to the brick wall. I then suggested to everyone that we needed to leave the area and we returned to the taxi.

“Two men, whom I believe to have been security guards, then instructed us to exit the vehicle. No guns were drawn during this exchange, but we did see a gun tucked into one of the guard’s waistband. As Jimmy and Jack were walking away from the vehicle, the first security guard held up a badge to me and drew his handgun. I yelled to them to come back toward us and they complied. Then the second guard drew his weapon and both guards pointed their guns at us and yelled at us to sit on a nearby sidewalk.

“Again, I cannot speak to his actions, but Ryan stood up and began to yell at the guards. After Jack and I both tugged at him in an attempt to get him to sit back down, Ryan and the security guards had a heated verbal exchange, but no physical contact was made.

“A man that I believe to be a customer approached us and offered to help as he spoke both English and Portuguese. Understandably, we were frightened and confused during this time. Through the interpreter, one of the guards said that we needed to pay them in order to leave. I gave them what I had in my wallet, which was a $20 bill, and Jimmy gave them 100 Reals, which is about $50 in total. They lowered the guns and I used hand gestures to ask if it was okay to leave and they said yes. We walked about a block down the street and hailed another taxi to return to the Village.

“Videos of this situation have been emerging the last several days. However, I am confident that some video angles have not been shown that would further substantiate my account. I also believe some scenes have been skipped over. Additionally, I would like to stress that our original taxi was not pulled over; the only occupants of the taxi were the four of us and the driver; and to my knowledge, there was no damage done to the door or the inside of the restroom.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/us-swimmer-gunnar-bentz-tells-his-story-rio-gas-station-incident

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Sounds like a fun guy to hang out with!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

they should've left Lochte there with the security guards

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So basically a total non-story blown up to an international incident.

Hilarious.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Pleads posted:

So basically a total non-story blown up to an international incident.

Hilarious.

except they actually were shaken down by guards with guns (aka armed robbery)

and lol they wizzed in some bushes behind the building and never even went in the restroom. Brazillian authorities literally looked at a typically trashed gas station restroom and blamed them for it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Nill posted:

And those other empty seats are paying ticket holders... who are stuck somewhere in our labyrinthine and kafkaesque concessionssecurity queues.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Even after all the twists and turns, we are back to the beginning. Those guys got robbed by men with guns and badges.

Will all the people crying about white privilege please apologize to Lochte

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
now I'm waiting for the good samaritan translator to pop up and give his version of the story

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

nerdz posted:

now I'm waiting for the good samaritan translator to pop up and give his version of the story

"It was a typical Tuesday night"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Will all the people crying about white privilege please apologize to Lochte

While we're making impossible suggestions, lady Olympians - please get on my dick.

Yes, even you, super-heavyweight weightlifters, trap shooters, and racewalkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

935 posted:

Apparently this happened last olympics too! A race walker fell over, passed out and poo poo himself. Can someone explain to me the appeal of this sport? Like if every single olympics if during the 300m butterfly it was guaranteed that an athlete would pass out and poo poo would you recommend continuing to hold that event? At some point won't the IOC put an end to this joke of a sport?

Judging on the amount of interest in racewalking vs. pretty much any other event, right now I'd imagine that the IOC and NBC are workshopping how they can make more athletes pass out and poo poo themselves live on air.

I'd wager someone on an elite athlete's diet making GBS threads themselves during the marathon swim would have technically improved the water quality of the bay.

• Locked thread