Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I miss Patti, it's a shame she died on the way back to her home planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

I mean...I like Barry and Iris' scenes but lol if you think the Teen Choice Awards aren't pre-rigged as hell.

You know, I think this thread has always given me the wrong impression of fandom. We don't tend to worry too much about shipping. But I've only recently realised that for a lot of fans it seems to be the reason they watch the show (and probably any CW show, to be honest). Like, I remember reading a report about the Arrow Q&A from one of the big conventions earlier this year, and it seemed like half the questions were about whether Oliver and Felicity were getting back together, whether they'd get married when they got back together etc.

I don't really get the appeal of shipping myself. I can usually see when that sort of thing works and I don't really give it a second thought unless I can see it doesn't (e.g. Troi and Worf in the last couple of seasons of TNG) but it's hardly the reason why I watch the show (or any show, really). It doesn't make sense to me when I see, for example, people having these really vicious arguments over whether Harry Potter should have been paired off with Hagrid instead of Ginny Weasley, for instance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sorry, I think you meant to write Barry and Felicity or Barry and Patti
Also accurate.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Barry and Kara are the best couple by far.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Well, obviously.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jack of Hearts posted:

Kara and ice cream are right up there

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

Best pairing in either show.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Barry/Any white chick apparently!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's pretty racist, man. Kara's Kryptonian.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

tsob posted:

Didn't Arrow already have a Suicide Squad, including a Deadshot?

Yep, and it was one of the best answers to "What do we do with defeated villains on this CW DC show?" that they've had. Deadshot was great, too. They'd occasionally have an episode, and it would be fun.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Barry/Any white chick apparently!

Linda was also at least OK.

I think I get where you're coming from. Iris is Barry's canonical love interest, so at a minimum it'd be an unsettling coincidence to cast a black actress to play the part and then deliberately render the character more or less irrelevant by taking that away from her. And I could see Gustin and Patton making it work if the writing for their relationship weren't so abysmal. I'd be perfectly happy with Barry-Iris if it were written at the level of Kara-James. I'm not super invested in the latter couple, but it seems to work well enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It puzzles me that they are sticking to Barry/Iris so loving hard when they threw Ollie/Dinah out the window of a moving train over on Arrow. I wonder when Kara is going to dump Jimmy in favor of a space horse.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

It puzzles me that they are sticking to Barry/Iris so loving hard when they threw Ollie/Dinah out the window of a moving train over on Arrow. I wonder when Kara is going to dump Jimmy in favor of a space horse Superman.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It puzzles me that they are sticking to Barry/Iris so loving hard when they threw Ollie/Dinah out the window of a moving train over on Arrow. I wonder when Kara is going to dump Jimmy in favor of a space horse.

Because they have different EPs. Guggenheim is enamored with Felicity (even let olicity fans pick her code name, which coincidentally is the name of a book he wrote iirc)

And Geoff Johns even shaded him in a tweet that basically said the Arrow writers don't understand the source material. He is also good friends with Candice Patton, she posts the Flash themed gifts he gives her on Instagram a lot.

The CW also loves to cater to shippers and the WestAllen fans are very vocal and organized. Most of them are WoC too, and they're always telling the writers/producers/cast how invested they are in Iris' role and their relationship.

There's been more then one article about how important Barry/Iris is because of how black women have stereotypically been portrayed and her being The Flash's greatest love is a huge deal.

I agree with this as everyone probably knows by now and I'd hate to have their iconic relationship get erased because it be a huge step back. Not only that but it encourage the racists who have been very vocal about her casting. Kinda got the same thing going on with Zendaya/Spiderman right now too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Geoff Johns is basically his boss too, so you know that's some hardcore shipping.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, Ollie and Dinah in the comics have a fairly on-again-off-again relationship, as opposed to Barry and Iris who are just flat-out soulmated married couples for most of their existence; at the time Arrow started off, Ollie and Dinah weren't connected at all. I'm sure that made the showrunners think they had a bit of wiggle room with their relationship...though at some point "wiggle room" turned a bit more into "convulsing stadium."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But really the reason for that is that Black Canary is her own character with her own stories, while Iris isn't. So everything between her and Barry is usually perfect and fine until a villain needs a bargaining chip.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Iris almost had her own stories as a journalist.

But then she got a job as another one of Barry's cheerleaders at STAR labs.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

While we're on the subject, I'd like to take a moment to point out the obvious fact that shippers aren't exactly the most mentally stable of people.

If you want examples, go look at the meltdowns on Tumblr after Naruto, and more recently, Bleach ended. Also, the actual harrassment of actresses from the CW shows because a certain ship fandom disliked them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scyantific posted:

If you want examples, go look at the meltdowns on Tumblr after Naruto, and more recently, Bleach ended. Also, the actual harrassment of actresses from the CW shows because a certain ship fandom disliked them.

Huh. I used to be into Bleach. How did it end?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huh. I used to be into Bleach. How did it end?

Hilariously bad. Series got canned about 2-3 months ago with almost zero warning so the current storyline was brought to a very abrupt end. But the final pairings between characters more than made up for it due to how salty fans are getting right now. There's currently a post-mortem thread in ADTRW if you wanna see how bad things got.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Shippers are mad crazy for sure, and are especially bad when they begin making GBS threads on anything that interferes with their ship. Iris fans are vocal in their love for her, but some of the worst ones are loving hateful toward Caitlin and Patty in particular. Patty was never the best written on the show, but the amount of poo poo that got slung at her and her actress by the crazy Iris fans was startling. Caitlin was in a similar boat in season 1 when they were teasing Barry and Caitlin having feelings for each other. Not so much hate toward Linda, but I imagine that has to do with Linda being such a short-term entity/woman of color herself.

Yet funny enough, Eddie never got that much flack despite him and Iris being in a committed relationship for all of season 1. The message is that it's okay if Iris hooks up with a man who isn't Barry, but if Barry so much looks at another woman then all hell breaks loose.

That said they are nothing compared to the Felicity's insane loving group, which was outright cheering over Laurel's death over social media and trying to justify it as good writing. A friend once told me that the only people who genuinely love Arrow are the people who love Felicity, and there's a reason why "Felicity and Friends" has become a frequent title replacement.

Guess what I'm trying to say here is shipping is both the life and death of all series where the majority of characters are in the 18-25 range.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just don't see why people want to see Iris and Barry together so badly when the show has handled the entire thing poorly from day one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's like the literal least of the show's problems right now.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

This show has problems? I haven't noticed any.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Of all the things I don't care about, "Which of Barry's dumb love interests is going to pan out?" is the thing I don't care about the most.

I would ask "Who cares?" but it's plainly obvious that some people care a great deal for reasons I absolutely cannot fathom. loving time remnants make more sense to me than getting this invested in the poorly written relationships of fictional characters.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Elite posted:

Of all the things I don't care about, "Which of Barry's dumb love interests is going to pan out?" is the thing I don't care about the most.

I would ask "Who cares?" but it's plainly obvious that some people care a great deal for reasons I absolutely cannot fathom. loving time remnants make more sense to me than getting this invested in the poorly written relationships of fictional characters.

There's actually been some good discussion about colorism, stereotypes and the media's representation of black women in the last few pages of the USPol thread. Iris West comes up. There are little girls growing up thinking their skin color makes them ugly. Iris West being a *superhero's* love interest is a huge loving deal to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elite posted:

Speedsters Going Their Own Way

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I want Caitlin to end up on some kind of Suicide Squad. Since the movies are doing their own version of Flash, and Supergirl has its own Superman, they should say gently caress it and do their own version of SS.
The Arrowverse version of SS was pretty awesome, so I'd be glad to see them back.
But other than that, with two versions of the Flash existing between film and TV, I can see DC execs having Gollum-style conversations at night between the side that insists on preserving the dumb DC embargo on different versions of characters, and the side that wants that sweet ad revenue that Flash is getting with its ratings. Maybe they'll end up axing the movie instead? :v:

re: Race talk - I'm not sure which option is more progressive, Iris or Patty. Sure, Iris is black and that's cool, but she's also entirely defined by her relationship with Barry. Patty is a female character who also does things.
I'm fine with framing the discussion purely in PC terms because all other factors are irrelevant. With the current quality of writing the result will be poo poo anyway, might as well be progressive poo poo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Pizdec posted:

The Arrowverse version of SS was pretty awesome, so I'd be glad to see them back.
But other than that, with two versions of the Flash existing between film and TV, I can see DC execs having Gollum-style conversations at night between the side that insists on preserving the dumb DC embargo on different versions of characters, and the side that wants that sweet ad revenue that Flash is getting with its ratings. Maybe they'll end up axing the movie instead? :v:

re: Race talk - I'm not sure which option is more progressive, Iris or Patty. Sure, Iris is black and that's cool, but she's also entirely defined by her relationship with Barry. Patty is a female character who also does things.
I'm fine with framing the discussion purely in PC terms because all other factors are irrelevant. With the current quality of writing the result will be poo poo anyway, might as well be progressive poo poo.

I'm going to quote my USPol posts.

Koalas March posted:

Lightskinned black women are generally considered more attractive, but also sluts. Dark skinned black women are also sluts, (wow!) but some people will say they are dirty or loud or ghetto/rachet. Then you have the media reinforcing this stuff. Girls in music videos are usually always lightskinned. (Props to Beyonce for breaking this stereotype in Lemonade. Everyone go watch Lemonade.) Black women on TV is a whole 'nother thing to unpack, because there's a lot to go into there. I'm going to post this again because it's relevant to how the media reinfornces stereotypes.

quote:

Just having a black female lead isn’t enough though. Characters who are black women often fall into many negative stereotypes. They are often written as fat, sassy, aggressive, angry, self-indulgent, hypersexual, and gold digging single mothers. Rarely are they portrayed as vulnerable, desirable, loving, carefree, silly, elegant, soft or genteel.

The rare characters that become love interests for a white male protagonist are often sidelined for a white woman. It’s inexplicably rare for the black women character to be the one to whom the white protagonist declares his devotion to and stays with in the end. Black women characters are often forced into the “Mammy” caricature: a workhorse forced to care for white characters, carry their burdens, and assist in cleaning up their messes. Characters who fall into the “Mammy” trope often martyr themselves for the sake of white characters.

Any black female fan of a show that isn’t considered “a black show” by the industry, learns quickly that when a character exists that’s intended to represent “our demographic”, the fandom will find any reason they can to hate her. They’ll write long screeds about how her mere presence ruins the show, and they’ll call for her to be killed off. If this character is a lead, the abuse intensifies. White, usually female fans, will send online abuse to the actress and harass her fans, often using racial slurs.

As a black women who are fans of black female characters, we are constantly reminded how much hate there is for black women and how voraciously people in fandoms dig for reasons to justify it. Oftentimes white female characters are lauded for doing the same things that white fan bases hate black female characters for.

But the hate that black women characters receives isn’t only blatant, with death threats and tirades of racial slurs there are often fans of the show who loathe her, but swear up and down they don’t know why.

Koalas March posted:

OddObserver posted:

(Disclosure: white dude)

It's interesting that you listed "vulnerable" as one of the things that are missing, since it feels like it's something that (generally white?) feminists often point out is overdone with (generally white?) female characters.
(And also I would generally view "sassy" as a positive, but I guess if it's an overdone stereotype of a group one belongs to it would get really grating...)
Yeah, the problems with black female characters and white characters are generally reversed. We don't usually get to be love interests (Thanks Shonda Rhimes, The Flash, and Spiderman!) whereas white one are usually nothing more than that. We are prostitutes/hypersexual, caretakers or strong women that don't need a man. Meanwhile you have white women rightfully asking that they portrayed as strong women who don't need men because that's something they don't get to see often. Then again you also have racist people saying that certain black women characters (Abbie Mills from Sleepy Hollow, for example, or Michonne from Walking Dead) should be strong, not need men and be forever alone (because white feminism!) which would conveniently remove their relationship with the (always white) leading man.

Basically Barry ending up with a white chick would be a HUGE step back. They casted a black Iris on purpose. She is supposed to be the love of his life. They were making a statement with the casting and Barry ended up with anyone else would be a gently caress you to black fans. It would reinforce the idea that black women are not desirable. This would have a huge impact on black women who are fans of the show and there are quite a few of them. Like a lot. This honestly impacts me personally because:

Koalas March posted:

Colorism is so drat prevalent still. My little sister is darker than I and the way people treated us differently growing up taught me a lot about it. She used to say that wished she was lightskinned so she could be considered pretty. As I got older one thing I hate the most is hearing "You're pretty for a black girl". It's hosed up on so many levels.

Koalas March posted:

And yeah, she is 21 now and she still has a little of internalized colorism. I've talked to her about it extensively, she just really feels that in our society you can't be attractive unless you look white. Which is obviously reinforced by the media. This is why I'm always pushing for more black leading ladies. Oddly enough, Iris West on The Flash had a big impact on her (and me too, tbh) which is why I'm always in The Flash thread pushing for Iris whenever anyone shits on her or her/Barry. I think people downplay how important of a role media portrayals are w/r/t what our society finds acceptable/good/attractive etc.

So yeah, it may seem like dumb shipping to you guys, but it's actually part of a the larger picture that is misogyny towards black women and a big lack of intersectionality and little black girls who grow up thinking they can't be loved or wanted because their skin is too dark.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Having read that entire discussion yesterday, I feel like you're leaving something out that wasn't addressed when asked (that I recall):

Why was Iris dating Eddie not as big a deal as Barry dating someone else? Especially since we know the outcome is still their marriage.

That said, I never really thought about Iris being cast as a black person as anything other than a casting choice.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I agree with everything Koalas March is saying, and for the record I like Iris when she is on her own or when she and Barry are in a stable relationship (E2 Iris for life). What is dumb is the cliche "will they/won't they" stuff, the constant love triangles and manufactured drama to keep them apart. That's where stuff becomes cheesy and eye-rolly and contrived. I think that's where the accusations of lack of chemistry are coming in, they have to constantly act into each other but not enough that they will finally just get together. One episode Iris finally realizes she loves Barry and wants to pursue him, the next week she goes on a date with her boss who then disappears.

I would love if they would just get them together and have a relationship that remains constant and strong, not that there can't be drama but no on-again/off-again crap. I love Candice Patton and the character in general is good when given the right material to work with.

Thanks for the perspective KM!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's even worse than will they/won't they since they had numerous time travel things showing yes. So it's just filling time in that case.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Having read that entire discussion yesterday, I feel like you're leaving something out that wasn't addressed when asked (that I recall):

Why was Iris dating Eddie not as big a deal as Barry dating someone else? Especially since we know the outcome is still their marriage.

Some black fans liked Eddie but we all knew he was just "In the way". He never got a lot of characterization besides was cop, loves Iris and we never really saw many intimate parts of their relationship. It's a good step in a way, because yes, it showed she was desirable (by 2 guys!) but at the same time we knew Eddie would die or turn evil, and barely got anything interesting out of their relationship other than Barry angst. Although "Did you break up!?" was really funny and cute. I miss season 1 Barry :(

quote:

That said, I never really thought about Iris being cast as a black person as anything other than a casting choice.

Just wondering, are you white? It was kinda a big deal in the black nerd sphere when it happened. There was lots of racism/misogynoir and still is. It's kinda the same thing that happened to Zendaya and Tessa Thompson. The hate for Iris West Is Real And it needs to be squashed because Candice playing Iris is import to a lot of people. Especially kids:

Candice Patton posted:

If people are inspired, I think that’s great. I’ve been inspired by so many actors, musicians, talents that have come before me, and the fact that anyone could see me as inspiring is only my way of giving back,” Patton said. “It means a lot to me. This is why I do conventions, to meet the fans who are inspired. It’s great seeing a young black girl come up to me, so excited that I’m Iris West. I tweeted something months ago, some young girl said, ‘Iris West looks like me. We’re beautiful!’ That’s powerful! The media is very powerful, and whether Geoff Johns and Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti know this or not, but casting me has made a huge difference in a lot of people’s lives, and that’s important. The media is very important. TV shows are very important. Iris West being black is very important. And that matters to me. It’s not something that I take lightly. It’s not something that I’m unaware of. I wear that badge proudly.
I think people love the character of Iris West. I think a lot of fans are also excited that Iris West is now African-American. They want to see her be strong, and intelligent, and a love interest — and so people come out in full force to defend that, and honor that. And I think that’s cool. Iris is an iconic character in the comic book, and she should be protected to some degree. As should all of the iconic characters.

http://www.thenerdmachine.com/candice-patton-at-dragon-con-2015-iris-west-being-black-is-very-important/

I also hate the will/won't they and wish they'd drop it. I think everyone does at this point. Candice basically gave an interview saying they were exploring their relationship this season and I hope that means they just get together and stay that way. I'd like to say Iris hunting metahumans as an ace reporter and Barry catching them. Humanely.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 23, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Koalas March posted:

I also hate the will/won't they and wish they'd drop it. I think everyone does at this point. Candice basically gave an interview saying they were exploring their relationship this season and I hope that means they just get together and stay that way. I'd like to say Iris hunting metahumans as an ace reporter and Barry catching them. Humanely.

I want to clarify a little too. I think white nerdy dudes like me judge the character on our own terms and miss the perspective you are presenting because it is in a huge blindspot for us. So we hate/like the character based on our own personal appeal and don't give credit for what it means to others. So again, thanks for this, it gives me a greater appreciation of Iris :)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never really had any problem with Iris personally aside from 'God this can't possibly last, they don't get along at all' and even then I blamed that more on the writing than her personally. And more so when Barry can actually interact with different women and have [Chemistry] with them! My god, they almost seem like friends or something, it's crazy! Now, if they can do that and continue to do so with Iris then we might just have a single swollen, pus-filled problem out of many solved. Because holy poo poo you've told us that they're getting together how many dumb reasons can you come up with to play this ridiculous tug of war will they- won't they game for? Will Barry accidently put on a sock inside out and realize he needs to break up with her again? Will Iris sneeze twice and then get faked out on the third to discover that things won't work out between them?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I kind of wish they'd kill off Iris and replace her with some other-Earth doppelganger. Because I'm sure Candace Patton is a perfectly adept actress, but yeah...every defining characteristic Iris has been given as a character is super boring.

The political relevance of casting a black actress as a desirable, intelligent romantic lead is definitely important. But I struggle to describe Iris in any distinct ways outside of who she is or what the character means to Barry. She's a journalist, but not a very incisive one. She loves her friends and family, but who doesn't? Mostly, she's predestined to be with Barry because of reasons. Ok.

Though, the common thread of "women Barry has chemistry with" tends to involve "women written as self-deprecating, awkward nerd girls with eccentric speech patterns." Somehow, there's some zen the dialogue reaches when Barry interacts with that type. Maybe the problem is that Iris isn't that, at all.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xealot posted:

I kind of wish they'd kill off Iris and replace her with some other-Earth doppelganger. Because I'm sure Candace Patton is a perfectly adept actress, but yeah...every defining characteristic Iris has been given as a character is super boring.

The political relevance of casting a black actress as a desirable, intelligent romantic lead is definitely important. But I struggle to describe Iris in any distinct ways outside of who she is or what the character means to Barry. She's a journalist, but not a very incisive one. She loves her friends and family, but who doesn't? Mostly, she's predestined to be with Barry because of reasons. Ok.

Though, the common thread of "women Barry has chemistry with" tends to involve "women written as self-deprecating, awkward nerd girls with eccentric speech patterns." Somehow, there's some zen the dialogue reaches when Barry interacts with that type. Maybe the problem is that Iris isn't that, at all.

Iris is strong willed. She went to a dangerous man, alone, to try and keep her brother out of trouble.

Iris is a fighter. She punched one metahuman in the face for kidnapping her, and bashed another over the head to save Caitlin's life.

Iris is thoughtful, she got Barry the microscope he wanted and got it right even though that's not really her thing. Good gift giver.

Iris is brave. She shot Clock King and saved an entire police station.

Iris is loyal. She stayed with Eddie even after Barry's confession and refused to break their engagement despite slowly realizing she lives Barry.

Iris is forgiving. Remember that time Barry kidnapped Eddie and beat him up? She was rightfully pissed but ultimately forgave him. She also forgave her mother who abandoned and fully embraced a brother she had never met.

Iris wants to help people. She went to the Flash to help Barry. She went to that guy to help Wally. She writes articles about abused women. She wanted to be a cop to help the people in Central City.

These are the reasons Barry loves her. Remember when Barry was being bullied as a kid, Iris was the one who lifted him up.

Iris welcomed a kid with a lot of baggage in her home. (This is in a deleted scene iirc) Not a lot of kids would. She's always been there for him, they're best friends. It makes sense.

There's more but I'm about to drive back home...

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 23, 2016

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't even get the point of all this discussion when the show never stops hitting us over the head with how Iris and Barry are destined to be together. It's obviously going to happen, it's just this show sucks at romantic relationships so they have to come up with artificial barriers for the two of them.

Personally, as a black man, I don't want Iris to be the ultimate prize in this white man's power fantasy. Especially since she wasn't interested in Barry romantically for the vast majority of the show. In fact, it seems like she only started seeing him that way when everyone told her they were meant to be, not because she wanted to actually be with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

In fact, it seems like she only started seeing him that way when everyone told her they were meant to be, not because she wanted to actually be with him.

Yeah they kind of acknowledge that she really started feeling confused when she found out 1) they were together in RF's future timeline and 2) they were together on E2, so it's really kind of a weird situation. It looks like at least for the first few episodes of the next season Barry is going to meet an Iris who doesn't really know him and so we'll see how they would meet and start dating as adults. Then of course Barry will fix the Flashpoint timeline and go back to the 95% "real" timeline where Eddie will be alive again and married to Iris, whomp whomp.

• Locked thread