Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

XYZ posted:

Or just let people enjoy old games in whatever manner they like? :shrug:

nobody is saying people aren't allowed to do anything we just have very strong opinions about tedious minutiae :spergin:

e: and honestly this exists in any hobby and sometimes to degrees that make this seem civilized and normal

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Gonna say something about shmups to watch d0s go on a rampage

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

Gonna say something about shmups to watch d0s go on a rampage

you should I have nothing better to do atm

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

d0s posted:

you should I have nothing better to do atm

Bullethell is a lovely style of game, you might as well have the player playing Operation or connect the dots (with very low criteria for failure.)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's kinda weird and sad if that kind of nostalgia is your only reason for playing old games

It's not, but if I'm hooking up an old console to play it, I'd rather go all the way back.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Bullethell is a lovely style of game, you might as well have the player playing Operation or connect the dots (with very low criteria for failure.)

agreed, apart from like early cave and stuff from around that time it's a boring trend and shooters were better before it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
You guys should repro a life.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Jumpingmanjim posted:

You guys should repro a life.

can't reproduce what never existed

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
YOU'RE a repro.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kid Fenris posted:

YOU'RE a repro.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheRedEye posted:

Something I don't hear talked about with bootleg cartridges is how a lot of them were free hacks and translations done by the community, sold by someone else for a profit without permission. It's one thing to bootleg a commercial game that a company already made its profit off of or whatever, but it's another thing entirely to poo poo in your own community pool like this.

I used to be kind of upset that people were bootlegging the unreleased games we spent a lot of money to make sure people could see, but I'm over it now. I'd rather people profit off of my money than profit off of someone else's months/years of labor.

I can see how that might be vexing to the community folks who do that sort of thing, but on the other hand, I guess it's kind of a shaky ground. When a translation patch is for an emulator ROM image of a game that most of the people playing its translation probably don't own an actual copy of...well, sauce for the gander or whatever. I somehow doubt that Nintendo or Square or most other Japanese companies/rights holders would make a fine distinction about a translation patch being non-profit or for-profit, when it's for their game in what is legally an unauthorized distribution format.

The translation might be technically legal (so you could have a nice script and all that which people could read as they played), but if a company pressed the point, it'd be the same thing as a shuttering effect if they said "The translation is fair use, but the patch is for a version of our game that is being distributed in a format we did not and do not authorize", and a judge agreed. I could be wrong, of course. It's trite and entitled to say, I guess, but if translators have any motivation or ideals for their work being anything but their selfless effort expended for the love of the game and gaming, to be used and abused by anyone, then they're courting some serious hurt and disappointment.

d0s posted:

do you see any problem at all with for-profit organizations doing it on a large scale or is all of it hunky-dory to you no matter if it's a hobbyist or a businessman? honestly curious not trolling or trying to argue or whatever

Short summarized answer: I guess it is fine to me, in the end.

Long conditional answer: I'll say that I'm personally not keen on large-scale, for-profit reproduction/bootleg/whatever creation - but ultimately, it's up to the rights holders and community to actually do something about it and make it painful or unpalatable for said for-profit organizations to do. I suppose I can step away from my seeming hedge by saying that my retrogaming mentality is based more in a utilitarian perspective ("This looks fun/interesting/cool to have"), rather than from what I'd consider the more perfectionist collector mentality. So I have flash carts, I buy cheap but less-than-pristine consoles, my hardware is modded for better video output than it would otherwise have if left in its original state, and loose carts (particularly Super Famicom) dominate the physical game collection I have.

So for me, if something works, and the price is right, that's what I'm interested in. Of course I prefer genuine goods, because who doesn't? But I guess I would be slightly less averse to bootlegs, especially if I had few other options, than someone who is more focused on legitimate perfection in how they collect, and for whom a bootleg (mainly of an otherwise regular but desirable game for their region and market) would be most hurtful. But I'm not going to condemn people who make physical bootlegs or hack carts, and I'm not going to particularly sweat a bunch of small factories in Shenzhen trying to sweat out a living with their bootlegs of Mega Drive games.

Doing that strikes me as being elitist and chauvinistic (to be Tumblresque for a bit), because trashing bootleggers and pirates is basically a trickle-down condemnation and judgement of those retrogamers around the world who, due to combinations of customs, laws, and economics, had much of their experience formed by the presence of bootlegs in their arcades and gaming market. Maybe someone in the US would be pissed off by a bootleg SMB3, and understandably so, but that same bootleg spirit (in a multi-game cart as Super Marion 6669) is what formed the core of the retrogaming experience for someone in Russia or elsewhere. And who is to say that's a bad thing in the big picture?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

crimzon clover is a rare modern bullet hell game that's also super good & I encourage anyone who thinks that subgenre is poo poo to get it on steam or whatever because it will surprise and delight you

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously someone needs to make a cart shell and box that have screens on them that load up the matching box art for the active rom

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm gonna skip the last 100 posts to state that the stupidest "gut a thing to make a tackier thing" trend is the Game Boy Macro: http://gameboymacro.com/

d0s posted:

crimzon clover is a rare modern bullet hell game that's also super good & I encourage anyone who thinks that subgenre is poo poo to get it on steam or whatever because it will surprise and delight you

Crimzon Clover is ghetto modern Cave, you should hate it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Doing that strikes me as being elitist and chauvinistic (to be Tumblresque for a bit), because trashing bootleggers and pirates is basically a trickle-down condemnation and judgement of those retrogamers around the world who, due to combinations of customs, laws, and economics, had much of their experience formed by the presence of bootlegs in their arcades and gaming market. Maybe someone in the US would be pissed off by a bootleg SMB3, and understandably so, but that same bootleg spirit (in a multi-game cart as Super Marion 6669) is what formed the core of the retrogaming experience for someone in Russia or elsewhere. And who is to say that's a bad thing in the big picture?

I agree that it's lovely to condemn people for pirating old games, no problem there. I just have a problem with what are basically corporations at this point trashing legit games to make bootlegs on a large scale. for the most part you can pirate nearly everything without resorting to that. I don't see it as the same criticism at all, it's two separate issues to me. if a factory in china wants to make bootleg old games from scratch (which is what most china xxx in 1 etc carts are) I have as little problem with that as I do flash carts.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Crimzon Clover is ghetto modern Cave, you should hate it.

crimzon clover isn't by cave, it was made by a single dude from home and is better than anything cave has put out in at least a decade

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

crimzon clover isn't by cave, it was made by a single dude from home and is better than anything cave has put out in at least a decade

It's a (great) hodgepodge of stuff he took from modern Cave games is my point. I don't get how you can be dismissive of modern Cave games and supportive of CC as if they aren't fundamentally similar games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The translation might be technically legal (so you could have a nice script and all that which people could read as they played), but if a company pressed the point, it'd be the same thing as a shuttering effect if they said "The translation is fair use, but the patch is for a version of our game that is being distributed in a format we did not and do not authorize", and a judge agreed. I could be wrong, of course. It's trite and entitled to say, I guess, but if translators have any motivation or ideals for their work being anything but their selfless effort expended for the love of the game and gaming, to be used and abused by anyone, then they're courting some serious hurt and disappointment.

A translation of a work is a derivative work and thus a violation of copyright if done without authorization. Obviously I don't think it's a particularly big deal, especially when we're talking about things that are commercially unviable to translate officially, but that's where the law is.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's a (great) hodgepodge of stuff he took from modern Cave games is my point. I don't get how you can be dismissive of modern Cave games and supportive of CC as if they aren't fundamentally similar games.

it's a combination of aesthetic sanity (no waifus) and a central lock-on mechanic no cave game has ever had, it's also just a lot more fun to me than late cave

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's not a shmup and it's not retro but d0s check out downwell as it's a pretty sweet cheap game akin to shmups. Your welcome.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

It's not a shmup and it's not retro but d0s check out*record scratch*

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

I agree that it's lovely to condemn people for pirating old games, no problem there. I just have a problem with what are basically corporations at this point trashing legit games to make bootlegs on a large scale. for the most part you can pirate nearly everything without resorting to that. I don't see it as the same criticism at all, it's two separate issues to me. if a factory in china wants to make bootleg old games from scratch (which is what most china xxx in 1 etc carts are) I have as little problem with that as I do flash carts.

Admittedly, I haven't followed the situation with sales of converted bootleg carts that closely (other than someone mentioning some chain doing it), but my visceral reaction depends on what games they're trashing to do that sort of thing. Though, if we want to get down to brass tacks, it's probably no real difference to someone who got burned by a cart they purchased, regardless of if it came from a company making carts en masse or from an individual "hobbyist".

Random Stranger posted:

A translation of a work is a derivative work and thus a violation of copyright if done without authorization. Obviously I don't think it's a particularly big deal, especially when we're talking about things that are commercially unviable to translate officially, but that's where the law is.

Good to know, and I suppose it only highlights my point about translations being on shaky ground. Which doesn't mean that's the right thing for them to be legally, or that people should gleefully exploit the work of fan translators and disrespect their wishes regarding distribution and sales, but :shrug: . Assholes gonna rear end if there's money involved.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

downwell is really actually fun :D but its definitely not a shmup

Caitlin posted:

this guy is on the mark

good thing we got the :siren:nostalgia police:siren:

vv just because I say MAME cabs are dumpster fires doesn't mean I actually think nobody should be allowed to have them, which I repeatedly stated during the "debate" last time, but you wanna play cute, do you. :sax:

im repost this then

Zand fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 20, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zand posted:

games made after the mid 2000s are degeneracy

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Aren't 5-screw Gyromite carts really hard to find now because people keep gutting them for 68-72 pin converters?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh god, he's even playing Outrun on it! :barf:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Random Stranger posted:

As long as they're not Nintendo 64 games. All of those are crap.

Except Tetrisphere.

Tetrisphere has nothing on The New Tetris.

Okay some people are going to say The New Tetris is a bad game and its development was kinda rocky apparently but it includes the single best mode of any tetris game and so many games since haven't had it: square tetris.

I had so much fun in college playing 4-way square tetris, competing against each other to form squares and clear them faster and faster. It completely changes the priorities in how you play the game.

Zand posted:

im repost this then

What.

I imagine this happening over time, the guy slowly buying more and more input devices and just adding them without getting a new board or moving the existing controls, because what the hell.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

TheRedEye posted:

Just a heads up that Everdrive GBA seems to not work with like, the majority of micro SD cards that exist. Hopefully a firmware update can fix it (I'm 0/2 so far), and hopefully I can actually update the firmware considering that it requires, you know, reading off of an SD card.

I ran into this with a 16GB Sandisk, and had luck with a 32gb Transcend card (class 10) formatted with a 32k cluster size. I have an extra because it didn't work in my Everdrive GB - happy to hand it off to you somewhere in the city if you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015J44R0U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_P--TxbFYXBTMS

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zand posted:

im repost this then

Nice Tron stwhat the gently caress

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zand posted:

im repost this then

Dehuminize yourself and face to bloodshed.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay some people are going to say The New Tetris is a bad game and its development was kinda rocky apparently but it includes the single best mode of any tetris game and so many games since haven't had it: square tetris.

I had so much fun in college playing 4-way square tetris, competing against each other to form squares and clear them faster and faster. It completely changes the priorities in how you play the game.

This guy knows what's up. My friends and I used to play 4 player mode in High School all the time. It had a long string of preview pieces, a bank you could rotate piece into to save it for later, and the ability to make those big gold & silver blocks. It felt like the perfect evolution of Tetris, it changes things up just enough but kept the core game mechanics the same.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Re: repros I know a guy who has a pretty sophisticated CD/DVD burning and labeling rig that is left over from when he used to bootleg VCDs for fansub groups and we've always talked about doing a few repros of games that are, for all intents and purposes, never going to see the light of day again for any other reason. But we were actually talking about doing full repackaging with new disc art and stuff so not really so much repros as bootleg collectors editions. And yes, this is only 50% because I want to push more people to play Street Fighter X, Vchron and SSVS.

Seriously though, I pine for the days when Street Fighter X was 10 bucks online because no one gave a gently caress about it, it's got some of the coolest art and packaging of any game ever.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...what is SFX?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

it's a combination of aesthetic sanity (no waifus) and a central lock-on mechanic no cave game has ever had, it's also just a lot more fun to me than late cave

I've put a few hours into Mushi Steam and I find it's exhilarating and satisfying to play, the very essence of what makes quasi-modern shmups fun. Ultra modes (minus Novice) can gently caress right off, though.

e: An example is weaving around, macro-dodging the return bullets from the large green flying bugs in stage 4, blowing them up one after another. That's just great.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 20, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Allen Wren posted:

...what is SFX?

It's just SSF2T. "X" is the Japanese name for Turbo.

The Dreamcast version isn't really novel outside of being a relatively accurate port with online play. (HD Remix was baed on the codebase from the Dreamcast port.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

Make sure you get the alternate soundtrack DLC, though! The default soundtrack sucks.

Allen Wren posted:

...what is SFX?
A Dreamcast port of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo released only via mail-order, with some additional features over the previous console releases and support for online play using dial-up modems via a "Matching Service" that's been closed down for over a decade.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Zaphod42 posted:

:hfive:

New Tetris has provided far and away the most fun I've had in tetris multiplayer. Everyone remembers N64 multiplayer as Goldeneye/Kart/Smash but New Tetris and Dr Mario 64 gave them a run for their money in our group.

I really wish that squaring mechanic would make it into any of the newer games as a mode or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Tomorrow I'm driving out toward SF and the Bay Area. Any good places to find retro games?

• Locked thread