Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

When I ran that game, I didn't give them any bonus XP, but gave them access to full lightsabers, though they were only padawans.
That gave us a pretty good balance, especially when I was throwing non combat encounters at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Actual prequel level Jedi would be super experienced. Think a few speciality trees filled out. There however is a thing known as Knight Level Play, which is giving 150 additional xp as well as a basic lightsaber and gives your characters a good headway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheTofuShop posted:

I get you man, but like I said, the players want to play Jedi Knights on the run. Those are all great ideas for what kinds of people can aid them on their way, and in fact I suggested when we were brainstorming the setting that they didn't all have to be Jedi, but that's what they all decided.

I'm not trying to be hostile or anything, I just maybe wasn't clear enough. We are all big Star Wars nerds and they are choosing lightsaber forms and such. Most of my experience GMing with this has either been Rebel/Imperial commandos or EotE drifters, the force users I've had were force sensitives that honed their connection during the campaign. We are breaking into F&D and the Jedi supplements with this campaign.

So, back to the original question, They want to run a combat heavy campaign with Jedi Knights, how much extra experience should I give them after creation?

I also recommend the "Knight-level Play" option and a willingness to pull the plug on the campaign when it gets boring, because a combat-heavy Jedi campaign is probably going to get ridiculous faster than it did in your previous games, if you give XP out at your previous rate.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Just picked up forged in battle at gencon. Questions?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carteret posted:

Just picked up forged in battle at gencon. Questions?

How's the smell

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
What's Vanguard like? Also, any neat non-weapon toys in the gear section?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

How's the smell

Peak goon. Delightful.

MadDogMike posted:

What's Vanguard like? Also, any neat non-weapon toys in the gear section?

Silly. Lots of bodyguard, movement buffs, and a once per session: make a hard athletics, on success other friendly PCs take turns immediately.

Non weapons? Some rebel armor, some comms stuff, straight up space morphine.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
How fleshed out are the "campaigns"? Are they similar to the campaign tracks that have shown up in other books?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Carteret posted:

space morphine

Tell me more

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

One word: Nullicane. About to play thrones, more details later

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
How are the weapon and armor attachments looking?

Edit: Also, any new species? And if so, what are they like?

Savidudeosoo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 4, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Anyone know of any resources for homebrewing species? I'm trying to narrow down a value in starting XP for some species features.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, we've got a new Age of Rebellion adventure module coming soon. As of the time of this post the news post for it is a broken link, but that may change soon

EDIT: Page is live

jivjov fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 15, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I love the idea of a recruitment mission

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jivjov posted:

Well, we've got a new Age of Rebellion adventure module coming soon. As of the time of this post the news post for it is a broken link, but that may change soon

That looks pretty awesome. I hope this comes out soon so I can drop the three planets into my Elrood Sector campaign I'm running with IRL friends. I planned to do a series of adventures exactly like what this book has.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Sweet, the floating fortress is back!

E: I'm looking to have the party fight against a Starfighter as a boss encounter during this week's Edge of Empire session, we haven't had a ton of experience fighting vehicles on foot as a party, so I'd appreciate any advice on this.

This would basically be the Hind fight from a Metal Gear game.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 15, 2016

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Vanguard Warden posted:

Anyone know of any resources for homebrewing species? I'm trying to narrow down a value in starting XP for some species features.

You'd inevitably have to just wing it when trying to figure out how much XP a species special ability should be worth.

Rest of making a species is pretty straightforward. Allocate 12 total points across the available characteristics. Start with 100 XP and subtract some for special abilities.

I think a decent rule of thumb might be -5 for a starting skill rank (so that it's actually cheaper than buying a skill rank outright during character creation), -5 for a first active power or talent, -10 for a second active power or talent.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 15, 2016

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Sweet, the floating fortress is back!

E: I'm looking to have the party fight against a Starfighter as a boss encounter during this week's Edge of Empire session, we haven't had a ton of experience fighting vehicles on foot as a party, so I'd appreciate any advice on this.

What kind of environment is your party in?

With a starfighter the main distinction to emphasize is probably its mobility. Perhaps you don't want an arena battle, even if there's some nice set-pieces in it.

I'd set up a long battle area with a lot of verticality. Set up maybe 3-4 distinct sections with good but destructible cover. Have the party moving through different spaces trying to find a decent firing angle as the starfighter continually strafes them. Make turning the tables a gradual thing.

Player goals would be to first restrict that mobility, then take down the shields and damage the hull as normal.

Mass Effect 2 (a game that otherwise was not very admirable in terms of level design) had a couple of nice set-pieces that featured gunships playing cat-and-mouse with the player-character party as they moved through various dense city-scapes. I think that's a good model given FFG Star Wars's lack of grid battles.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

What kind of environment is your party in?

With a starfighter the main distinction to emphasize is probably its mobility. Perhaps you don't want an arena battle, even if there's some nice set-pieces in it.

I'd set up a long battle area with a lot of verticality. Set up maybe 3-4 distinct sections with good but destructible cover. Have the party moving through different spaces trying to find a decent firing angle as the starfighter continually strafes them. Make turning the tables a gradual thing.

Player goals would be to first restrict that mobility, then take down the shields and damage the hull as normal.

Mass Effect 2 (a game that otherwise was not very admirable in terms of level design) had a couple of nice set-pieces that featured gunships playing cat-and-mouse with the player-character party as they moved through various dense city-scapes. I think that's a good model given FFG Star Wars's lack of grid battles.

Thanks for the reply! The setting is in a Old Republic era underground Jedi outpost. The party is pursuing a group of pirates that has a captive they need to rescue. They pursue the bad guys to the landing pad elevator which is where the boss fight would happen. The pirate's second in command flies down in an ARC-170 and the party has to take it down before they can get the captive rescued.

Toyed with the idea of it being a boss fight happening while the elevator is slowly heading to the surface while the fighter harasses them/tries to evac up the pirate leader+captive. I like your idea of whittling down the shields, weapons, disabling the ship during the battle.

Ah, that ME2 battle is really good, I gotta go back and play that again sometime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asWZ5s9RWVA

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 15, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

You'd inevitably have to just wing it when trying to figure out how much XP a species special ability should be worth.

Rest of making a species is pretty straightforward. Allocate 12 total points across the available characteristics. Start with 100 XP and subtract some for special abilities.

I think a decent rule of thumb might be -5 for a starting skill rank (so that it's actually cheaper than buying a skill rank outright during character creation), -5 for a first active power or talent, -10 for a second active power or talent.

If the special ability gives a blue or removes a black dice its 5xp (you get up to 2 blue or remove 2 black if its on a single skill). If it upgrades a check its usually worth 10xp.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Thanks for the reply! The setting is in a Old Republic era underground Jedi outpost. The party is pursuing a group of pirates that has a captive they need to rescue. They pursue the bad guys to the landing pad elevator which is where the boss fight would happen. The pirate's second in command flies down in an ARC-170 and the party has to take it down before they can get the captive rescued.

Toyed with the idea of it being a boss fight happening while the elevator is slowly heading to the surface while the fighter harasses them/tries to evac up the pirate leader+captive. I like your idea of whittling down the shields, weapons, disabling the ship during the battle.

Ah, that ME2 battle is really good, I gotta go back and play that again sometime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asWZ5s9RWVA

An ARC-170 is pretty good as a boss thing for vehicle combat as you're way better off breaking the ship down into a series of components the players are taking out. Its got shields that can be re-routed to different sections so your players can be doing stuff to whittle those down or draw them to the front/rear of the ship so the party can hit those components. Unless your players have lightsabers obviously. Have it be all about the party coordinating their initiative slots to make sure when the gunner takes his turn everyone is hiding and when the main pilot is shooting those in front are taking cover.

Pilot/Gunner/Astromech/Engines/Rear Gun/Main Gun are all god components to be knocking off one by one.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 16, 2016

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kingcom posted:

An ARC-170 is pretty good as a boss thing for vehicle combat as you're way better off breaking the ship down into a series of components the players are taking out. Its got shields that can be re-routed to different sections so your players can be doing stuff to whittle those down or draw them to the front/rear of the ship so the party can hit those components. Unless your players have lightsabers obviously. Have it be all about the party coordinating their initiative slots to make sure when the gunner takes his turn everyone is hiding and when the main pilot is shooting those in front are taking cover.

Pilot/Gunner/Astromech/Engines/Rear Gun/Main Gun are all god components to be knocking off one by one.

Yeah I think the type of spacecraft you're fighting is definitely something to figure out first.

Gunship or multi-seat strike-craft with turrets, or a single-seat fighter that flits around quickly but can only fire forward? These can produce wildly-different kinds of fight.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If it's a gunship fight, let them move around a lot between destroyable cover while they whittle it down. If it's a strafing fight, have an obvious countdown to the next strafing run so they can be in cover for it, while in between they fight their way on the ground to some kind of AA emplacement.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

wiegieman posted:

If it's a gunship fight, let them move around a lot between destroyable cover while they whittle it down. If it's a strafing fight, have an obvious countdown to the next strafing run so they can be in cover for it, while in between they fight their way on the ground to some kind of AA emplacement.

Ah, great ideas folks. Probably going to have a gunship style fight but might be interesting to have one or two strafing rounds where the party can get in cover, prep missiles, make repairs, try to heal up before it's back.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting my TFA Beginner Box and my copy of Forged in Battle this afternoon. Post your info requests if you've got any

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
I would like to know the species introduced and any of the weapon/armor attachements from Forged in Battle.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Elom, elomin, kyuzo, Shistavenen

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Savidudeosoo posted:

I would like to know the species introduced and any of the weapon/armor attachements from Forged in Battle.

alg beat me to the species

Weapon attachments: Beam Splitter, Built-in Blaster Sight, Galven Pattern Resequencing

No new armor attachments

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Ooooh, that's all some good poo poo right there.

Don't know why we didn't get new armor attachments, though. Soldier seems like a good book for some new additions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well there's a decent amount of new armor...just no attachments. I guess standard-issue kit is the order of the day

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Yeah, I suppose that's fair.

And hopefully this is a sign that they're saving it for the Bounty Hunter book which just HAS to come out next. Like seriously, there will probably be riots if it doesn't.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Savidudeosoo posted:

Yeah, I suppose that's fair.

And hopefully this is a sign that they're saving it for the Bounty Hunter book which just HAS to come out next. Like seriously, there will probably be riots if it doesn't.

There's a thread over on the FFG forums dedicated to analyzing trends and patterns in releases. According to that poster; after we get the already announced F&D Sentinel splat and the AoR adventure book, we're looking at most likely a non-career EotE book. If the old pattern holds it'll be a third sector sourcebook.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

jivjov posted:

There's a thread over on the FFG forums dedicated to analyzing trends and patterns in releases. According to that poster; after we get the already announced F&D Sentinel splat and the AoR adventure book, we're looking at most likely a non-career EotE book. If the old pattern holds it'll be a third sector sourcebook.

Awww, drat it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Savidudeosoo posted:

Awww, drat it.

Hey, on the bright side the Bounty Hunter book is almost certainly the next EotE career book! :v:

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

jivjov posted:

Hey, on the bright side the Bounty Hunter book is almost certainly the next EotE career book! :v:

Oh yeah, definitely! I can't think of any other career that they would do instead.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Force-Sensitive Exile gets a career book before Bounty Hunter, calling it now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They had to hold onto the Bounty Hunter book, everyone will buy it and it will be solid gear. I just want like 50 pages of exotic, specifically usable munitions. Freeze grenades, fly-by-wire emp missiles, supercharged blaster pistols, the works.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

I'm getting my TFA Beginner Box and my copy of Forged in Battle this afternoon. Post your info requests if you've got any

Any notable EU vehicles in the book?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Force-Sensitive Exile gets a career book before Bounty Hunter, calling it now.

Some designer's sitting around going "Look, it takes a long time to think of a signature ability that can top the Hired Gun's..."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Any notable EU vehicles in the book?

The smaller version of the tank from the Xbox Clone Wars game is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
So I'm playing a Mandalorian in an upcoming Edge campaign, and I was wondering if anyone in this thread had any tips for roleplaying one?

And not the basics like the Resol'nare and all the other things I've read on Wookiepedia. I'm looking more for some personal anecdotes or insights, something I can't just google. Anything like that would do!