Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Country/Provider: United States, East Coast

Current contract status: No contract, Sprint, Unlimited. Potentially want to switch to Verizon or Fi

Budget (phone/plan): Unsure about phone, want to stick with Android OS and lower my current monthly

My phone (older HTC One) is starting to slow down, and I don't use anywhere near what I'm being charged for, about 2-4 GB / mo, and my girlfriend and I want to combine plans to her Verizon plan. I'm getting off Sprint either way because I don't want another 2 year contract.

I have very limited needs with a phone truth be told, so I suppose the biggest feature I want outside of staying on Android OS is to not have to upgrade it any time soon and to not overpay for data I don't use. I realize that likely the best way to negate that is buying a brand new phone, but I'm willing to buy a generation or so back. I'm also considering going with Fi, as I like the idea of not being charged for data I don't use. I stream some music in the car, use maps and the awful app. I use a tablet at home for surfing.

I always like a deal, so don't mind going a generation or so behind, but definitely don't want to cheap out and then have the phone frustrate me because it slows down in a year or so, etc. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Subways Jared posted:

I would like to buy a unlocked galaxy 7 note. I would also like to use t mobile as my carrier so that I can be on a monthly plan. I want my galaxy 7 note to be unlocked, not whatever locked version t mobile would sell me.

That being said, where can I purchase a stock, unlocked, note 7 from? I hope this makes sense and is the right thread. I'm new to the whole smartphone game.

If it's anything like the S7 launch, expect the carriers to have a brief window of exclusivity before the unlocked version launches. Although, the S7 was the first time unlocked Galaxies were sold in the US so they might launch it sooner this time around.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Everything I'm now reading says they're being released Friday. I guess my best bet for an unlocked version is to show up at best buy on Saturday?

Unless what desk lamp says ends up being the case...

My primary concern is getting an unlocked version not through a carrier. So with buying at a retailer like best buy will that not be an issue? Because on all their pre-order selections online theyre all connected with a carrier. When you typically buy a phone from best buy is it unlocked and not needed to be associated with a carrier?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 17, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Planet X posted:

Current contract status: No contract, Sprint, Unlimited. Potentially want to switch to Verizon or Fi

Budget (phone/plan): Unsure about phone, want to stick with Android OS and lower my current monthly

My phone (older HTC One) is starting to slow down, and I don't use anywhere near what I'm being charged for, about 2-4 GB / mo, and my girlfriend and I want to combine plans to her Verizon plan. I'm getting off Sprint either way because I don't want another 2 year contract.

I have very limited needs with a phone truth be told, so I suppose the biggest feature I want outside of staying on Android OS is to not have to upgrade it any time soon and to not overpay for data I don't use. I realize that likely the best way to negate that is buying a brand new phone, but I'm willing to buy a generation or so back. I'm also considering going with Fi, as I like the idea of not being charged for data I don't use. I stream some music in the car, use maps and the awful app. I use a tablet at home for surfing.

I always like a deal, so don't mind going a generation or so behind, but definitely don't want to cheap out and then have the phone frustrate me because it slows down in a year or so, etc. Thanks in advance.
So, if you're considering Fi, you have to get a Nexus, and we're at a point where you should probably hold out for this year's Nexuses if your phone is still functioning. Even if this year's phones don't interest you, the 2015 Nexuses will certainly drop in price (and have been doing so as of late).

If you're switching to Verizon, well, you should also probably wait for new Nexuses unless a Galaxy S7 or Note 7 interests you.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

I somehow cracked the screen on my LG G2 without even dropping it, rendering it completely unusable on top of the many issues it had developed. I am switching to T-Mobile. I'm looking at getting a new 16gb Moto G4 with ads from Amazon for $150 (and promptly removing the ads). Are there any used former flagship android phones worth looking at in the $100-200 price range?

There are Galaxy S5s for about $200 on NewEgg. A good, solid phone, though it's about 2 generations old at this point. There's a fairly comprehensive set of refurb stores on NewEgg and Amazon.

I know it's more expensive, but you could get a new S7 from T Mobile for $25 a month or so. If you have a hard wall at $200, that may be another way to get into this generation. Last generations will be 5-10 less per month, too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Arsten posted:

Actually, all of the pre-orders I've seen are carrier locked, so far - and just checking Samsung.com, they ask for a carrier also. I think he'll have to wait until release to find the unlocked ones.

Well, FYI the Verizon one is unlocked (Verizon has to sell all phones unlocked), so you can technically buy that one. I don't think they would sell it without service though, and it would have standard carrier bloat ware.

Arsten posted:

There are Galaxy S5s for about $200 on NewEgg. A good, solid phone, though it's about 2 generations old at this point. There's a fairly comprehensive set of refurb stores on NewEgg and Amazon.

I know it's more expensive, but you could get a new S7 from T Mobile for $25 a month or so. If you have a hard wall at $200, that may be another way to get into this generation. Last generations will be 5-10 less per month, too.

If anyone is getting a Samsung, I would get either the S5 or S7. Samsung really hosed up with the Galaxy S6, some would avoid that specific phone.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 17, 2016

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Current contract status: No contract, with Verizon. 4gb data plan.

Budget (phone/plan): Budget <700 USA. 4gb data seems to be enough.

Have had an LG G3 for a couple years and love it, been the best phone I've had, hasn't become laggy etc, but now I'm getting a common screen fade issue and it's a matter of time before it's completely non functional.

I'm with Verizon currently. It seems they don't actually do upgrades anymore which sucks, but offer monthly payment plans. All I see on my eligible upgrade devices that I'm familiar with are the G5 and V10.

The main things I want in my phone are decent camera, micro SD slot, removable battery (so I can have 2 or 3 extras).

I'll never buy another Motorola phone so that's out. Another LG would be OK, I'm open to other brands as well.

Any consensus on the best current device out there for a former G3 user?

Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nosleep posted:

Current contract status: No contract, with Verizon. 4gb data plan.

Budget (phone/plan): Budget <700 USA. 4gb data seems to be enough.

Have had an LG G3 for a couple years and love it, been the best phone I've had, hasn't become laggy etc, but now I'm getting a common screen fade issue and it's a matter of time before it's completely non functional.

I'm with Verizon currently. It seems they don't actually do upgrades anymore which sucks, but offer monthly payment plans. All I see on my eligible upgrade devices that I'm familiar with are the G5 and V10.

The main things I want in my phone are decent camera, micro SD slot, removable battery (so I can have 2 or 3 extras).

I'll never buy another Motorola phone so that's out. Another LG would be OK, I'm open to other brands as well.

Any consensus on the best current device out there for a former G3 user?

Thanks!

Verizon has multiple 4GB plans. If you post your rates here or in the Verizon thread, I'll tell you what the best monthly option is.

FYI the LG G5 is one of the only phones with a removable battery, but it got bad reviews:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/lg-g5-review-an-interesting-idea-shoddily-executed/

Remove able batteries are going away, basically, and LG kind of sucks at supporting their phones as well. You can get the other features you want though. Look at reviews of the Galaxy S7 and HTC 10.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I have an lg g2 that I've had for a little over 2 years, but now its battery sticks around for about 3-4 hours of active use. I'm looking to get a new phone sometime in the near future. I'm on at&t, and my budget is $400 or less.

I'm looking for a medium sized phone with 32-64gb of storage and decent power for playing games.

Online reviews say a lot of good things about the samsung s6 and the oneplus 3, and I'm leaning a little to the s6 since I know they're likely to be more reliable with software updates, customer service, and has what I assume to be a better camera.

However I haven't heard much from this thread about the s6. I'd probably get the nexus 5x if it was a little cheaper, but I can get a 64gb s6 edge from best buy, which seems like a solid option unless I'm overlooking any problems with the phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Psycho Society posted:

I have an lg g2 that I've had for a little over 2 years, but now its battery sticks around for about 3-4 hours of active use. I'm looking to get a new phone sometime in the near future. I'm on at&t, and my budget is $400 or less.

I'm looking for a medium sized phone with 32-64gb of storage and decent power for playing games.

Online reviews say a lot of good things about the samsung s6 and the oneplus 3, and I'm leaning a little to the s6 since I know they're likely to be more reliable with software updates, customer service, and has what I assume to be a better camera.

However I haven't heard much from this thread about the s6. I'd probably get the nexus 5x if it was a little cheaper, but I can get a 64gb s6 edge from best buy, which seems like a solid option unless I'm overlooking any problems with the phone.

You'll note just three posts up Duckman saying how you should avoid the S6.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Why?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

The S7 is significantly better in every single way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Also in what world is Nexus 5x expensive? Isn't it like $230?

eta: I wasn't even looking for it, it just was on Android Police...

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 20, 2016

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah that is a good deal cheaper than I'd assumed, especially for the 32gb version. My hesitation about it stemmed from the assumption that it wasn't a significant upgrade, but it looks okay. The camera looked a little better than the g2, so that's a plus.

The S7 is a little out of my price range as of right now, so I guess what I can take from this is that there's no great value 5"ish $400 phone.

I probably will also end up taking the frequently advice to wait for the nexus 7 to drop before jumping on the cut price 5x. Thanks guys.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poor battery life, slower, I've seen more hardware issues. I would get a cheap S5 over an S6. Although really if you're getting s Samsung phone specifically a S7 would be worth the premium in comparison.

Why not the Nexus phones? They're about to launch new ones, so either get the new ones or a cheap Nexus 5x. Not sure how the 5x is on baking, but I would assume it's decent.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So I'm getting a new phone because the one I have is making GBS threads the bed.

I have very very limited needs but I must have a reliable phone because I'm a sub teacher.

Should I buy a good old phone like a Nexus 5 or a lovely new phone like a samsung J3 for the same price?

I am in Canada if this is important.

My budget is around 250 and under. A phone that still works in 2-3 years (read can call/text and run some basic apps like runtastic and other basic stuff) is all I need. Keep in mind I had my current phone for 4 years I think and I would still be happy with it if I didn't fear I was starting to miss calls and getting/sending very delayed texts.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 21, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What is your budget? If you're strictly below $200, a new Moto G4 is probably your best bet. If you're an Amazon Prime user, you can get an ad-supported one for $150-180.

If you can stretch your budget a hair, a new Nexus 5X is $230.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Endless Mike posted:

What is your budget? If you're strictly below $200, a new Moto G4 is probably your best bet. If you're an Amazon Prime user, you can get an ad-supported one for $150-180.

If you can stretch your budget a hair, a new Nexus 5X is $230.

Sorry I was definitely missing some info in my previous post. I added some stuff.

I am in Canada if this is important.
I'm currently with koodo and would like to stay with them since they are the cheapest (15$ a month + 25$ every few years when I'm done using all my time)

My budget is around 250 and under. A phone that still works in 2-3 years (read can call/text and run some basic apps like runtastic and other basic stuff) is all I need. Keep in mind I had my current phone for 4 years I think and I would still be happy with it if I didn't fear I was starting to miss calls and getting/sending very delayed texts.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Check your nearest bestbuy and see if the $50 Koodo Moto E is still available.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 21, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Airborne Viking posted:

Check your nearest bestbuy and see if the $50 Koodo Moto E is still available.

They are out :(

I can find the moto e 2nd generation unlocked at staples for 150$ which seems like a lot, but I'd still rather pay a bit too much for a phone and save 100$. Would this be a dumb buy at this price? Can't seem to find anything under 200$.

I currently have a HTC one V by the way and if it wasn't dying it would still be powerful enough for my needs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

I can find the moto e 2nd generation unlocked at staples for 150$ which seems like a lot, but I'd still rather pay a bit too much for a phone and save 100$. Would this be a dumb buy at this price? Can't seem to find anything under 200$.

I currently have a HTC one V by the way and if it wasn't dying it would still be powerful enough for my needs.

$150 for a Moto E seems high but given the CAD>USD conversion I suppose it's what they go for. That said, a quick look on amazon.ca shows 2nd generation 8GB Moto G going for about $150 so you'd be better of going that way.

8GB isn't really enough for a phone and the 8G Moto G in particular sucks because it has 1GB RAM compared to the 2GB the 16GB version has but the prices I found for the 16GB version were over twice as expensive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KingColliwog posted:

If you have a local Walmart, check their phone department. Not all their phones are listed on the website. I got a moto E 2nd at walmart for $100, and according to the website they don't carry that phone at all. Mine is locked to Chatr and they had at the same price for locked to a couple different companies too.

I wasn't able to find an unlocked moto E 2nd for less than $150 CDN when I was looking. For example: http://www.staples.ca/en/Motorola-00690NACRTL-Moto-E-2nd-Generation-Smartphone-8GB-Unlocked-Black/product_1671694_2-CA_1_20001

How are you getting koodo for $15 a month? When I was looking at plans a few months ago their cheapest plan was $25 a month, same as chatr. And chatr gives unlimited province wide calling instead of koodo's 100 minutes for $25, so chatr was the better deal for me.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

LastInLine posted:

$150 for a Moto E seems high but given the CAD>USD conversion I suppose it's what they go for. That said, a quick look on amazon.ca shows 2nd generation 8GB Moto G going for about $150 so you'd be better of going that way.

8GB isn't really enough for a phone and the 8G Moto G in particular sucks because it has 1GB RAM compared to the 2GB the 16GB version has but the prices I found for the 16GB version were over twice as expensive.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you have a local Walmart, check their phone department. Not all their phones are listed on the website. I got a moto E 2nd at walmart for $100, and according to the website they don't carry that phone at all. Mine is locked to Chatr and they had at the same price for locked to a couple different companies too.

I wasn't able to find an unlocked moto E 2nd for less than $150 CDN when I was looking. For example: http://www.staples.ca/en/Motorola-00690NACRTL-Moto-E-2nd-Generation-Smartphone-8GB-Unlocked-Black/product_1671694_2-CA_1_20001

How are you getting koodo for $15 a month? When I was looking at plans a few months ago their cheapest plan was $25 a month, same as chatr. And chatr gives unlimited province wide calling instead of koodo's 100 minutes for $25, so chatr was the better deal for me.

Cool, I'll hit walmart even if I hate that place and try to price match at staples in the worst case. I think 8gb will be enough for me unless the newer OS take a poo poo ton of place. I use like 4 apps total, I'm really not a phone guy and most of the time I forget to bring it with me when I'm not on call.

Are you happy with the 2nd gen moto E? The reviews seem good enough. I don't really care about that "poor" screen and relatively bad camera (that is probably 10 times as good as what's on my cell phone anyway)

For the 15$ koodo I use the prepaid plans. It's 15$ a month for unlimited text/voicemail/call display/other stuff like that and for 25$ you get 500 minutes anytime. Since I barely ever actually talk on the phone (like a couple minutes a day tops when they call to give me some work). That 25$ gets me over a year with the usage I do (lot of texting but that's in the 15$ a month). I don't use data so I only get a "booster" for emergencies

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KingColliwog posted:

Cool, I'll hit walmart even if I hate that place and try to price match at staples in the worst case. I think 8gb will be enough for me unless the newer OS take a poo poo ton of place. I use like 4 apps total, I'm really not a phone guy and most of the time I forget to bring it with me when I'm not on call.

Are you happy with the 2nd gen moto E? The reviews seem good enough. I don't really care about that "poor" screen and relatively bad camera (that is probably 10 times as good as what's on my cell phone anyway)

Yeah, it's fine. My previous cell phone was a flip phone, so I'm no expert on smartphone features, but it works as expected. A fairly small screen combined with a pretty good 2390 mAh battery means I've never run out of juice before bed time, which I understand is a problem with a lot of phones. It's not great for something like reading the forums with middle-aged eyes, but I have a desktop for that. You'll probably end up getting an SD card to beef up the storage, I started hitting the wall pretty fast when I tried downloading a few dumb phone games. But you don't need to get the SD card right away, so you can wait for a sale or whatever.

Oh, and it can't play pokemon go. :qq: So if you want to catch pokemons this is not the phone for you.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, it's fine. My previous cell phone was a flip phone, so I'm no expert on smartphone features, but it works as expected. A fairly small screen combined with a pretty good 2390 mAh battery means I've never run out of juice before bed time, which I understand is a problem with a lot of phones. It's not great for something like reading the forums with middle-aged eyes, but I have a desktop for that. You'll probably end up getting an SD card to beef up the storage, I started hitting the wall pretty fast when I tried downloading a few dumb phone games. But you don't need to get the SD card right away, so you can wait for a sale or whatever.

Oh, and it can't play pokemon go. :qq: So if you want to catch pokemons this is not the phone for you.

Great. Already have an SD card in my current phone to store music so I'll just switch it.

While I probably would have tried pokemon go, I don't really mind that I won't be able to catch pokemons. I don't really have enough time for that anyway

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My beloved S4 is beginning to just not work anymore (trouble charging with Samsung chargers, alarm didn't go off the past couple of days) so it's time for me to finally cash in this two-year upgrade. I've really liked the phone otherwise, any reason not to just get the S7 to replace it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

My beloved S4 is beginning to just not work anymore (trouble charging with Samsung chargers, alarm didn't go off the past couple of days) so it's time for me to finally cash in this two-year upgrade. I've really liked the phone otherwise, any reason not to just get the S7 to replace it?

Price would be the only reason, the Nexus phones are cheaper since *most plans have you buying the phone outright now. But if you're happy with it, the S7 is a solid phone.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
For everyone looking for a decent phone around $120 I recommend the Xiaomi Mi4c (gsmarena review). It's pretty much a slightly cut down Nexus 5X feature-wise for way less, but still has the same grunt under the hood and the camera doesn't disappoint. I bought it on a lark as I've read some good reviews about Xiaomi and didn't want a low-end Samsung or Moto due to my budget . So far I've been really happy with it for the past 4 months and hopefully will get another 3 years out of like I did with my S3.

Only a few downsides:

1. It comes with MIUI OS (Based on Android 5.1) stock, so you'll have to go thru the process of flashing Cyanogenmod 13.1 to get a decent OS on it, but its super simple and takes me about 10 minutes to do following the online instructions.
2. Heavy use from morning till night (e.g. 8am - 8pm my current schedule) will leave you with the battery at 30-40% by the time you get home. I don't feel that's any worse than other phones but I just want to make people aware you'll be recharging it every day or 2 depending on your usage.
3. Non-removable battery, no SD card, no NFC. Only 16GB memory. No scratch resistant front glass but they do give you a free screen protector in the box. I personally don't miss any of these, however I know it'll be a dealbreaker for some

I've bought 3 of them so far from Goldway on Aliexpress as they were the trader recommended by reddit. I've had no problems at all and shipping by standard post usually taken 8-10 days to arrive at my doorstep.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If your first step is to flash a new OS, it's not a good recommendation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Endless Mike posted:

Eh, if you're looking for a budget phone you know you're going to have to accept some quirks. It's just a matter of deciding what you can accept and what's a deal-breaker for you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Eh, if you're looking for a budget phone you know you're going to have to accept some quirks. It's just a matter of deciding what you can accept and what's a deal-breaker for you.

There's "budget phones" and then there's "this phone is cheap and pretty unusable." If someone can't swing an extra $80 (you can get a decent phone for $200) then they probably need to check in with BFC first. Smartphones have become pretty essential for most people, so getting something workable is s decent idea.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
I'm more surprised flashing a new os is isn't the first thing you do on any phone. The factory android on the S3 - S5 was bloaty as hell compared to what you can flash on it. Don't know if this has changed for the S6 or S7.

Like shopping for a new laptop, I look at the specs of the hardware and not the factory OS or bundled software.

And while I can afford a much more expensive and mainstream branded phone, I've never been able to justify spending more than the minimum on something that's going to be outdated in 2 years. Or broken when you drop it on concrete outside Del Taco drunk at midnight, which is why I'm on my second Mi4c.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I buy iPhones, so industry-leading hardware and software is part of the package.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Duckman2008 posted:

There's "budget phones" and then there's "this phone is cheap and pretty unusable." If someone can't swing an extra $80 (you can get a decent phone for $200) then they probably need to check in with BFC first. Smartphones have become pretty essential for most people, so getting something workable is s decent idea.

Isn't a cheap budget phone quite similar to a top of the line phone from 2010 though? With the likely corollary that today's top of the line phones will be considered unworkable garbage in 10 years? So you're actually using a terrible garbage phone no matter what phone you buy. :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jomo posted:

I'm more surprised flashing a new os is isn't the first thing you do on any phone. The factory android on the S3 - S5 was bloaty as hell compared to what you can flash on it. Don't know if this has changed for the S6 or S7.

Like shopping for a new laptop, I look at the specs of the hardware and not the factory OS or bundled software.

And while I can afford a much more expensive and mainstream branded phone, I've never been able to justify spending more than the minimum on something that's going to be outdated in 2 years. Or broken when you drop it on concrete outside Del Taco drunk at midnight, which is why I'm on my second Mi4c.

After years of flashing ROMs and other bullshit, my opinion will be the same: if you have to change the software completely on something you are purchasing to make it workable, then it's an inferior product for you. Phones are different than laptops.

A smartphone is top 3 in terms of important tools that anyone can/should have. If you want to spend bare minimum on something of that level of importance, more power to you.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Isn't a cheap budget phone quite similar to a top of the line phone from 2010 though? With the likely corollary that today's top of the line phones will be considered unworkable garbage in 10 years? So you're actually using a terrible garbage phone no matter what phone you buy. :v:

A top of the line phone from 2010 is unworkable, so no, it isn't the same.

Mileage will always vary, because some phones age better than others. But overall, people who make smart phone purchases get a better long term value than people who make poo poo choices. I have a ton of customers still using an iPhone 4/4S. Certain android phones like some Moto phones, even Samsung phones like the S4, do decently and i still see regularly. It's the poo poo one off cheapo phones that just suck after a year or two.

There's a difference between a smart budget phone, currently something like a Nexus 5X, and a stupid one, like whatever is being made by one of the Chinese companies. And I'll go back to my argument above: why would you cheap out by a minimal one time amount on a device that you use every day for multiple things? My time isn't that valuable, but it's valuable enough that I don't have time to flash a loving ROM on my phone.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 25, 2016

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Why would you cheap out by a minimal one time amount on a device that you use every day for multiple things? My time isn't that valuable, but it's valuable enough that I don't have time to flash a loving ROM on my phone.

Which is why you'd buy a 5X and I shop around for something cheaper that works for me. I buy nearly everything second-hand and drive an 80's hatchback I bought for a few hundred, but enjoy eating out everyday for lunch and go on holiday overseas 2-3 times a year. People have different economic priorities, even if they can afford the better phone. I'm just trying to offer an alternative.

And there isn't actually anything wrong with the stock ROM, MIUI 7 has good reviews and is well liked. I just prefer cyanogenmod.

Also not everyone lives in the USA, land of ridiculously cheap electronics. Xiaomi is the 3rd biggest seller behind Apple and Samsung, their Note 2 & 3 have been dominating the mid-range market in Asia with excellent reviews. Some of us will have different prices available locally than what you're use to. At $149 usd, I'd of gone straight for an Amazon ad-sponsored Moto G4 if they'd ship it to New Zealand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please reread what I said:

Endless Mike posted:

At no point did I say that it's not good for you. I said it's not a good recommendation. If you're happy with janitoring your phones, that's your business, but that doesn't mean it's what you should suggest to others since most people won't be happy with that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So from the last few pages, the Moto G4 is still the inexpensive phone to buy? I have amazon prime so I can get the $150 one (and then hack out the ads).

Budget: cheap bastard. <$200, or even less as long as the phone is adequate

I still use a flip phone, so that should tell you how much I don't care about smartphones. The only reason I'm upgrading is that the rest of the family on our multiline plan all have smartphones and I'm not saving anything by sticking with my dumbphone that's probably gonna break soon anyways.

I won't be doing much with mobile games beyond maybe some really simple ones, likewise on apps. So the fact that it chugs with pokemon is not something I care about. This is gonna be a phone / email / podcasts device.

However, looking at measurements, the G4 is kinda big, 150mm x 80mm. As comparison I'm looking at my friend's Nexus 4 (130mm x 70mm), and I'm not enthused about something bigger than that. My phone is gonna be in my pocket all day, not constantly in my hand. Is there a new generation Moto E coming that I should wait for?

Made with Air
Jan 30, 2007
My boyfriend and I both bought xiaomi phones and use the stock rom and it's an awesome phone. I keep meaning to flash a ROM on it but honestly the MIUI 7 or whatever is completely fine and useable. I dunno what's up with the chinese phone hate, they're quite popular in places that aren't North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Klyith posted:

So from the last few pages, the Moto G4 is still the inexpensive phone to buy? I have amazon prime so I can get the $150 one (and then hack out the ads).

Budget: cheap bastard. <$200, or even less as long as the phone is adequate

I still use a flip phone, so that should tell you how much I don't care about smartphones. The only reason I'm upgrading is that the rest of the family on our multiline plan all have smartphones and I'm not saving anything by sticking with my dumbphone that's probably gonna break soon anyways.

I won't be doing much with mobile games beyond maybe some really simple ones, likewise on apps. So the fact that it chugs with pokemon is not something I care about. This is gonna be a phone / email / podcasts device.

However, looking at measurements, the G4 is kinda big, 150mm x 80mm. As comparison I'm looking at my friend's Nexus 4 (130mm x 70mm), and I'm not enthused about something bigger than that. My phone is gonna be in my pocket all day, not constantly in my hand. Is there a new generation Moto E coming that I should wait for?

If you want a small phone you can get the iPhone SE. Everything else is either big or total poo poo.