Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

lets hang out posted:

haha yes mikan is extremely popular

Case in point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FPzero posted:

I liked Mikan and was sad to see her as the murderer in Chapter 3, doubly so when it turned out the only reason she did what she did was because of the stupid Despair Disease thing. I was in the middle of her Free Times and it seemed like all she needed was a friend that didn't want to beat her up or take advantage of her.

Nope, finish her events and she's revealed to still be incredibly manipulative, becoming a nurse so she could have power over sick and injured people who would bully her otherwise. It's implied that she even ends up in those poses just to gather attention.

COBRARocky posted:

Danganronpa 2s biggest problem is that having people run around on a big island doesnt really lend itself to mystery solving - chapter 4 being in an enclosed space made me realize how much better that type of setup is for the murder cases. having people going around the island and half the locations not even being relevant just doesnt work for me.

I actually really disliked chapter 4 - the prolonged time in an enclosed space with very similar backgrounds just made the whole thing drag on. And the case was extra confusing and difficult to boot.

Not to mention the whole convoluted mystery was pretty much 'Gundam doesn't want to admit being a killer because of pride but was confident he'd get caught anyway to save everyone else'.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

FPzero posted:

I liked Mikan and was sad to see her as the murderer in Chapter 3, doubly so when it turned out the only reason she did what she did was because of the stupid Despair Disease thing. I was in the middle of her Free Times and it seemed like all she needed was a friend that didn't want to beat her up or take advantage of her.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nope, finish her events and she's revealed to still be incredibly manipulative, becoming a nurse so she could have power over sick and injured people who would bully her otherwise. It's implied that she even ends up in those poses just to gather attention.
I think it's a little of both, and we even saw a glimpse of this when the imposter accosted her to treat Mitarai. Due to severe neglect and implications of abuse, she's attention starved and will do whatever she can to get any. The people around her also seem to be ignorant of what is obviously a horrible mindset, like how nobody ever tells Saionji to stop bullying Mikan for no reason. So when the imposter is genuinely kind to her, she's outright shocked because she rarely gets that kindness unless she's acting as a nurse. Being a nurse means she can be in a position of power, but also that people will have to treat her kindly because she won't help otherwise.

She's basically the perfect target for someone like Junko, who acted like she really cared about Mikan in order to make her do what she wants. If Mikan did have genuine friends who would stick up for her, and help her develop self-esteem, then she could have turned out very different. I imagine we'll see how that develops as well, since Mikan is the only person aside from Mitarai who knows about the imposter.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Not to get all psychoanalysis on a fictional character, but a lot of Mikan's actions are just a textbook case of sadomasochism.

While "like" is a bit too strong a word, I definitely find characters like her and Akane (and Kirigiri to an extent) whose backstory gives them a vastly different view on things more interesting than more "normal" characters like Souda.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Did Tsumiki even have any fans?

From what I understand, she's the most popular DR2 girl in Japan.

Granted, my source is a random anon from 4chan, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm sad I can't share this meme with people who aren't familiar with SA.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baal posted:

Also how does the DR1 cast feel like they don't have a sense of camaraderie when so many chapters in the game are about bringing the characters closer together and even early chapters start unify certain characters more until they become a unit. I mean gently caress, the remains of the DR1 cast is established by their absolute trust in one another except Hagakure who is just a punching bag.

Hagakure is forever haunted by the Burger That Could Have Been,

I like the characters of both games personally, though I'm more partial to DR1's.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Anatharon posted:

I like the other characters and seeing them interact for the most part, as well as trying to figure out the greater mystery behind their situation as they try to escape it. The villain that facilitates the situation is ultimately not that important.

Kinda like 999, imo.

I don't think you played 999, or any of the other Zero Escape games. In all three games, the villain and their motivations are massively important to figuring out why the characters are there and being forced to do what they are doing, to the point that it tends to turn all your guesses upside down when they are revealed.

Bad analogy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlazeEmblem posted:

I don't think you played 999, or any of the other Zero Escape games. In all three games, the villain and their motivations are massively important to figuring out why the characters are there and being forced to do what they are doing, to the point that it tends to turn all your guesses upside down when they are revealed.

Bad analogy.

Eh, while I agree with respect to the first two games, it's kinda true for Zero Time Dilemma.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Anatharon posted:

Well you DID call him Izuku... :haw:

I've been reading boku no hero academia, and I keep making this mistake. Even though the only thing the two characters have in common is vaguely similar sounding names.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think the logic behind Junko is she targets people she thinks will listen to her, which ends up being the entire upper class as far as we know and the 5 warriors of hope. Everything else is because she picks good targets, like Monaca gives her the facilities to produce a bunch of Monokumas, and Kuzuryu and Sonia give her resources and man power, everyone else just insures she has leaders and a few pretty useful talents for actually spreading her message.

The deification is an in universe thing, Junko isn't actually all that capable on her own. What she is good at is warping people's personalities, which is also weirdly enough something Naegi does to a lesser extent. So I imagine if you ever played as Junko it would be school mode in reverse, you learn about peoples problems and give them awful advice instead of good advice, whilst subtly convincing them to your way of thinking.

It really helps that she's always had at least one loyal soldier to carry out any actual violence she needs, as Mukuro having a huge thing about protecting her little sister when she couldn't as a child means she's already super easy for Junko to control. Which is her real power, she learns about people and influences them into negative actions instead of positive ones.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
SHSL Analyst is still an incredibly powerful talent. It pretty much means that given enough time, she can achieve or beat almost any talent. She can analyze crime scenes as good as Kirigiri, identify people's tells as well as Celes, and be as charismatic as Sonia or Maizono. She could even, through enough watching, figure out how to do stuff like make confections as good as Ruruka if she really wanted to.

Being chaotic and unpredictable is the only real way to throw that off, which is why Naegi is her counter - hope is pretty much being adamant in the face of logic, after all. The other flaw is that she needs time to analyze someone, so someone getting the jump on her might not give her enough time to react. Of course, she's had her whole life to hone her instincts (and having the SHSL Soldier as a sister probably helped).

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Monaca died on the way back to her home planet

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Monaca has the right idea

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So in the end, Komaeda did something right. He provided a bad example which needs to be avoided.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can't find the new episode and I see everyone talking about it. Is this despair.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Subs are delayed

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Truly this is the despair Junko wanted to give the world.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The next episode will only appear when one poster in this thread has banned another.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

:same:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Akio, what are you doing in Danganronpa?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

subs are delayed to...when!?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Nagito ranted so much about hope and despair he made Monaca sick of both so she decided to just run away to live in space, amazing.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Its really funny how Towa City is still a bunch of videogame levels even in an anime.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

Nagito ranted so much about hope and despair he made Monaca sick of both so she decided to just run away to live in space, amazing.

This is perhaps the best possible way Monaca's character arc could have gone.

"Could it be that instilling turbo-cynicism in a growing child WOULDN'T make them become the next Antichrist but instead a weird shut-in? No that's silly clearly my plan is flawless"

good job, Nagito

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yinlock posted:

This is perhaps the best possible way Monaca's character arc could have gone.

"Could it be that instilling turbo-cynicism in a growing child WOULDN'T make them become the next Antichrist but instead a weird shut-in? No that's silly clearly my plan is flawless"

good job, Nagito

It's his SHSL Luck in action :pseudo:

I also see this episode as a sendoff to UDG in a "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out" or a "you were expecting some epic send off to Monaca? Too bad!" sort of way

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The Chibi Maruko-chan and Utena references killed me, I grew up watching the former and she even matched the voice.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Neeksy posted:

The Chibi Maruko-chan and Utena references killed me, I grew up watching the former and she even matched the voice.

Maruko-chan's voice actress Tarako is the new voice of Monokuma, which is probably why that reference is there (I think this was Aya Uchida doing a nice impression, though)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I liked the episode though it did feel kinda filler-y for whatever reason.

I didn't expect the Monoka plot thread to be solved so quickly but... there is a limited amount of running time I suppose.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

maybe the reason the sub is delayed is because this episode was absolutely terrible

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
This was the weakest episode so far but just the fact that it's now canon that being with Komaeda for a long time makes someone to literally go "gently caress this hope and despair bullshit I will go to space" is the best thing that has happened in the series.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IceBorg posted:

This was the weakest episode so far but just the fact that it's now canon that being with Komaeda for a long time makes someone to literally go "gently caress this hope and despair bullshit I will go to space" is the best thing that has happened in the series.

Wait is that what happened to Tsumiki? :v:

Also five episodes left with 10 survivors... we're gonna see a few multiple deaths soon I imagine.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thinking on it now, if the attacker changes theory is true then I'm pretty sure it just confirmed Aoi killed Gozu.

Here's my guess based on what Monoka had to say this episode, assuming she's 100% telling the truth.

"Someone for sure from the first killing game is going to die."

Which limits us to Togami, Hagakure, Naeigi, Kirigiri and Aoi. If she was only really with Aoi and Naegi during all of this so it's safe to bet she thinks it might be one of them (though she does have cameras).

"Hope always wins in the end"

I'm choosing to believe that this means she thinks Naegi is going to figure out who the attacker is in the ending and "win" the game, which means if she saw Aoi attack Gozu it leads into her other quote that "Naegi will be responsible for one of the DR1 survivors deaths."

"But that didn't work, did it?"

My guess is that Aoi woke up and was forced into a situation where she had to kill someone. Either it some kind of possession or mind control I have no idea but she stabs Gozu and kills him. Monoka is awake because she's a robot and she see's all of it go down and Aoi gets knocked out after this. Monoka then takes the ketchup and spreads it on Aoi and sticks her with the fake knife just to mimic what she just saw. She wanted to cause both of them to panic because Naegi thinks she's dead, and Aoi will wake up thinking "oh no someone knows what I did!"

Aoi wakes up with Naegi and they both end up writing it off as a weird occurrence before focusing on Gozu and forgetting about it making it a failure.

That's my guess anyway. I might also tag that I think when the attacker kills someone, they have no memory of it either though hey I dunno.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I'm very concerned about Naegi (who is still the best character; I don't care what anyone says). He's now been told that he's going to cause the death of one of the survivors, and that, combined with the shot of him shooting himself in the opening sequence, makes me think he might try to sacrifice himself so he can't kill anyone else.

Still, he's optimistic enough to go 'well, I'm sure it'll be fine somehow' right up until accidentally killing Hagakure (as a highly implausible example; Hagakure will live until the end of time), rather than taking drastic pre-emptive action, so I'm relying on that to get him out alive (if traumatised). After all we overcame as him in the first game, I'd hate to see Naegi killed now.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
My question is how Monaka knows Naegi is gonna cause the death of someone?

Was she talking in a "I predict his actions will cause the death of one of his friends" or in a "I know things that make me absolute sure one of your friends will die because of you"? Since she was in control of a robot body she probably didn't fall asleep every time it was time to do that so she probably saw things no one saw so probably the latter option.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

IceBorg posted:

My question is how Monaka knows Naegi is gonna cause the death of someone?

Was she talking in a "I predict his actions will cause the death of one of his friends" or in a "I know things that make me absolute sure one of your friends will die because of you"? Since she was in control of a robot body she probably didn't fall asleep every time it was time to do that so she probably saw things no one saw so probably the latter option.

Which is why I think Aoi is the killer of Gozu. They were in a locked room as well with only Monoka, Gozu, Aoi and Naegi.

It would also give plot relevance when it gets revealed as Munkata would want to kill her on the spot (not that he already doesn't want to) while Naegi has to try and defend her, give them a reason to talk about their ideals on hope with reforming (SDR2 cast etc) and whatnot given it's someone directly connected to Naegi.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Or Naegi is the killer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's the dude with the hat for sure, no one wears a hat like that without being a total dick.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

Or Naegi is the killer.

i can't believe naegi is possessed by the ghost of robot junko

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thinking on it now, if the attacker changes theory is true then I'm pretty sure it just confirmed Aoi killed Gozu.

Here's my guess based on what Monoka had to say this episode, assuming she's 100% telling the truth.

"Someone for sure from the first killing game is going to die."

Which limits us to Togami, Hagakure, Naeigi, Kirigiri and Aoi. If she was only really with Aoi and Naegi during all of this so it's safe to bet she thinks it might be one of them (though she does have cameras).

Fukawa was also a survivor. It'd be pretty weird for her to die now that the Monaca plot is done, but weirder things have happened.

Honestly if I had to guess on someone from the six dying (and not some kinda loophole like 'oh hey Monobear survived DR1 technically'), it'd be Kirigiri or Togami. Hagakure would be the most satisfying, but he's like a cockroach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm thinking that maybe the death from class 78 is going to be rooted in the NG codes rather than direct action on the part of the attacker. The way Monaca knows Naegi will be the one responsible makes it sound like it's going to happen against his will no matter what, and that might include even if they stop the attacker. And the fact that we don't know Kirigiri's code yet...

Then again it's being heavily framed so that she's the one at the most risk, so maybe that's all a fakeout

• Locked thread