Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

pffft.She should be happy he doesnt put his moto parts in the dishwasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't know, it sounds like there might have been other fluids involved :barf:

yeah he's definitely putting those moto parts into his butt too

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hot sauce posted:

yeah he's definitely putting those moto parts into his butt too

Make sure your piston has a flared base to prevent loss.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Make sure your piston has a flared base to prevent loss.

Leave it attached to a crank for entry safety and sensual reciprocating motion.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDoerxecKF8

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Oh look, something's falling off that boat in front of me, no need to slow down, I can dodge it.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Oh look, something's falling off that boat in front of me, no need to slow down, I can dodge it.

This was my reaction. He was following awful close to something so janky looking, and longer to get on the brakes than it seems he should have.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If he'd committed to the swerve and gone fully into the next lane he'd have been fine. Plenty of room for it too, and enough time for a suicide check even.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The first time the video was posted it came out that the guy had only been riding for a week or two. He still made a ton of errors, mainly being behind a vehicle with a load, but he is still fresh.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This is like one of those optical illusions that flip between being a beautiful woman and an old hag. I look at it once and it looks really cool with the pinstriping accentuating the lines, then I look again and it's a horrible jumbled mess.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Chichevache posted:

The first time the video was posted it came out that the guy had only been riding for a week or two. He still made a ton of errors, mainly being behind a vehicle with a load, but he is still fresh.

And you want us to give the guy some slack for that? He shouldn't be on the highway at all, not for a long while. *insert monologue about how it is criminal that people are allowed to ride a motorcycle without and proper training at all*

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Highways are safer than the city streets. Why wait?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My first couple of times on the freeway I was "JESUS CHRIST THE WIND ITS SO FAST gently caress MAN"....a few months later, "oops Im doing 100 yawn"

This must be how z3n feels riding anything with less than 200 rwhp

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

The crash with the floatie happened up in Minnesota (Wisconsin driver though, typical). This means that my mother and mother-in-law both sent an e-mail with the video asking me not to drive on freeways.

Sigh.

The guy had also just bought his jacket and helmet within the last week or so. He had only been riding a few weeks if I remember. Also it happened on a majorly busy weekend with lots of people traveling to and from their cabins along that road. Lots of bad choices were made that put him in that situation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PaintVagrant posted:

My first couple of times on the freeway I was "JESUS CHRIST THE WIND ITS SO FAST gently caress MAN"....a few months later, "oops Im doing 100 yawn"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is like one of those optical illusions that flip between being a beautiful woman and an old hag. I look at it once and it looks really cool with the pinstriping accentuating the lines, then I look again and it's a horrible jumbled mess.

I really don't know what happened to the clean-lines-and-smooth-surfaces school of vehicle design. Every bike now looks like you covered an engine with glue and rolled it through a bunch of shredded plastic. And modern cars look like someone sat on them.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I like it myself except all the white lines. The paint looks too busy. The orange and black alone would be good. Kawasaki have the burnt candy orange Z1000 though and the bikes look pretty similar as it is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I really don't know what happened to the clean-lines-and-smooth-surfaces school of vehicle design. Every bike now looks like you covered an engine with glue and rolled it through a bunch of shredded plastic. And modern cars look like someone sat on them.

Well with cars it's because of mandated rollover and pedestrian protection, they all end up with those massive pillars and fat curvy bumpers.

Bikes have less excuse, I suspect it's because fairings have fallen out of fashion so designers are all trying to make a statement with the ever-decreasing canvas they're given.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well with cars it's because of mandated rollover and pedestrian protection, they all end up with those massive pillars and fat curvy bumpers.

Bikes have less excuse, I suspect it's because fairings have fallen out of fashion so designers are all trying to make a statement with the ever-decreasing canvas they're given.

With cars, it's not even the massive bloat that I'm talking about. Look at the front end of the new generation Impreza:

That's just a loving mess. Angled surfaces everywhere, random holes and cutouts and fins and louvers, overlapping bent plastic swooping in and out without rhyme or reason. If you squint at it, it looks like the car's been crashed.

Let's compare to a similar mid-range car from the 80s, the Accord coupe

That's cleeeeeeeeean. Even with the black plastic trim, the lines are just....precise. Looking at that front end after looking at the Impreza is like a breath of fresh air.

As an industrial designer, I know that part of the reason for the complexity is because the surfaces have to be so much larger. Cars are slab-sided now (compare the height of the window baseline in the Accord and the Impreza, and remember that the Accord has 14" wheels and the Impreza is probably on 18s), with enormous front ends and high door sills, and if you don't do something to break up the surfaces you'll end up with the Aztek-itis that afflicted GM in the 2000s. That's the reason that this

looks like garbage, while the trucks it's based on

still look good. The proportions in the older design, and the composition of the surfaces, are just better. But there are better ways of breaking up surfaces than just putting creases everywhere! Use panel gaps, carry a body line from some other part of the car, or even -- god forbid -- use a trim piece. Done well, it looks great. But this era of swooshy random curves on everything is going to look just as dated as the stupid vinyl covers on sedans from the 70s when we look back on it.

You can do a real similar analysis for motorcycle design, but in that case there isn't even the excuse of pedestrian impact standards or side intrusion beams or whatever. The designers are just piling angular crap on everywhere for no apparent reason. Why does it keep happening??

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 19, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Let's compare to a similar mid-range car from the 80s, the Accord coupe

I know this isn't AI, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the more recent models of Honda Civic and CRZ, as in my [untrained] opinion they're loving excellent designs that manage to look concept without being too garishly futuristic (if that makes sense).

Sagebrush posted:

You can do a real similar analysis for motorcycle design, but in that case there isn't even the excuse of pedestrian impact standards or side intrusion beams or whatever. The designers are just piling angular crap on everywhere for no apparent reason. Why does it keep happening??

Hypothesis: motorcycle designers are artists and as such would rather make their mark by treading new ground than attempt to perfect an old aesthetic and miss the mark (or be told to throw it out because it looks old and nobody will buy it).

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 19, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

I know this isn't AI, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the more recent models of Honda Civic and CRZ, as in my [untrained] opinion they're loving excellent designs that manage to look concept without being too garishly futuristic (if that makes sense).

Hypothesis: motorcycle designers are artists and as such would rather make their mark by treading new ground than attempt to perfect an old aesthetic and miss the mark (or be told to throw it out because it looks old and nobody will buy it).

Owned a crz for two years. I sold it because I got tired of the fanboy Honda freaks asking me how it was because it was 'the new crx'. It was a 1.5L 122hp hybrid that didn't handle that well even with coilovers and nice tires. No camber adjustment up front or in back, lovely ergonomics and overall lackluster. It had a six speed which was cool, but that's really all it has going for it. And to drive the point home further, my '16 WRX does almost 10mpg better on the highway than the crz ever did.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I meant aesthetic opinions :v:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Greeble is the new chrome.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Everything has to look like its a transformer if you want it to be cool.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

JHVH-1 posted:

Everything has to look like its a transformer if you want it to be cool.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 20, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The part of your brain that deals with form and first impressions is trying to fist-fight the part of your brain that looks at details and questions what something does and why it's shaped like it is etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

<A Good Post>

The designers are just piling angular crap on everywhere for no apparent reason. Why does it keep happening??

I think some of it is a new generation of designers who have only used CAD/CAM and so have never done the model-making stage of design. Without that practical stage, and without the kinesthetic appreciation for how parts fit together (or for that matter never actually standing next to something at full scale until it's in production) they fixate entirely on details and never on the whole.

I've mentioned before the thing that very nearly stopped me buying the Monster - I think (stupid undersized tail unit aside) it mostly avoids the pitfalls of modern bike design - it all flows nicely, and while some of the engine details are a bit fussy and people complain about the sticking-out pillion pegs hitting your heel you can excuse them as form over function.

However there's a bit of the frame - the upper mounting point of the rear engine mount:

that is cut at an angle for absolutely no reason so it comes out to a point about a cm proud of the tank, whose literal only purpose is to stick into the side of your leg. There's no reason at all for it to be shaped like that. Every bike I've ridden recently has had that sort of pointless design flaw. I simply cannot understand why any designer would put that in other than to say "Hey I'm a designer, and this one tiny part of the bike hasn't had my attention!"

I mentioned tail units and that's more or less a universal problem now. Everything has a tiny bee-sting tail because that's fashion. Now you can make an argument that fashion is fashion but the requirement for a number plate and rear lights is just as much an absolute requirement for a road-legal motorbike as a headlight, and they're all more than happy to get design-y with them while keeping them legal. There's no reason at all why they can't extend the tail out to preclude the need for a massive ovipositor sticking out the back for the plate while keeping it slender and pointy. In fact that would leave you with a better-looking bike because you then get to conclude the lines of the bike properly. But no, all that matters is making it look good on the concept drawings, not giving the rider a nice-looking legal bike (and a dry back in the rain)

In conclusion

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Amen brother.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mentioned tail units and that's more or less a universal problem now. Everything has a tiny bee-sting tail because that's fashion. Now you can make an argument that fashion is fashion but the requirement for a number plate and rear lights is just as much an absolute requirement for a road-legal motorbike as a headlight, and they're all more than happy to get design-y with them while keeping them legal. There's no reason at all why they can't extend the tail out to preclude the need for a massive ovipositor sticking out the back for the plate while keeping it slender and pointy. In fact that would leave you with a better-looking bike because you then get to conclude the lines of the bike properly. But no, all that matters is making it look good on the concept drawings, not giving the rider a nice-looking legal bike (and a dry back in the rain)

They did this for 'Merica and I love how they handle plates now.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

titanium posted:

Oh holy poo poo, this rules. I wonder if they make kits to retrofit the ovipositor-era bikes?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

This looks rad, like an oversized hot wheels for grownups. It does look a bit too large though, like they made the design and then scaled it up at 115%.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

titanium posted:

I want a license plate kit like this for my bike, get on that poo poo KTM aftermarket

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I see pillion foot pegs but no seat

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I see pillion foot pegs but no seat

Removable rear cowl. There's a seat under there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

titanium posted:

That's the 1200 - it has the same arrangement around the world, same as on the Diavel. I think it's more or less a necessity because of the longer swingarm and fatter rear tyre.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'd pay to ride this swing.
http://i.imgur.com/maLWPh2.gifv

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

I'd pay to ride this swing.

What in all the hells.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts