Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oh my god shut the gently caress up about names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently I don't have to worry about any kids of mine having dumb sounding names, by comparison at least.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe the best thing the Trump campaign could think of was "What do you have to lose?"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gfsincere posted:

And white people love to call black names ghetto and "made up".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
And the answer is ease of ability to vote.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/GBliss/status/766703695463604224

Giuliani is right...Trump is really showing his leadership and purveying the tragedy that is what's happening in LA here.

I like how he doesn't even make an effort at the "rolled up sleeves to make it looks like I'm here to do work" conceit that politicians always try when they're forced to do stuff like this. He's got his jacket and his stupid hat and his flag pin and he's gonna pass you this industrial pallet of playdoh whether you want it or not.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't believe the best thing the Trump campaign could think of was "What do you have to lose?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbuJXQCIvo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

is that seriously what they're going for now, even beyond the fact that that's incredibly lame even their most boring slogan imaginable is somehow self-defeating.

"Trump/Pence 2016: How bad could it be? wait gently caress don't think about that"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

VH4Ever posted:

So who in this thread has actually been to a Trump rally? I'm pretty sure I'm going under my podcast self to the rally in Austin next Tuesday and I want some tips to not get punched in the face. I don't plan on poo poo stirring, just asking what makes attendees want to vote for him most, like what's the one thing they like best about his platform, etc.

I went to one, but that was way back in October during the primary in NH, and it was nothing like what we're reading/watching now.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What do you have to lose will almost assuredly be paired with many, many stories of the subcontractors and employees trump has hosed over across the years. Almost tailor made for that campaign.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/766796362625212416
(Advisor = "former Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA)")
I finally found the issue with the "Days without Trump loving up" button. It's supposed to say "Hours".

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 20, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Still with name chat? Fine.

My 3rd grade class had four kids named David, 4th grade was three Julies, and every year had so many Kathrines that even the nicknames were starting to double and triple up. In high school, I shared my exact name, first middle and last, with a classmate and the administration hosed poo poo up constantly over it. Unusual can have its benefits. Kylee-Bell and Magnatron will never have the wrong transcripts sent to a college they're applying to. But I guess some people might laugh at them so better name everyone Bobby and Sue forever.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As a resident of Arizona, I hope you all appreciate our long term project to concentrate as many racist seniors into Sun City as possible.

We're nearing phase two, where we lower a concrete sarcophagus over the entire retirement community.

I do appreciate a retirement community being named after a bantustan reference.

there wolf posted:

My 3rd grade class had four kids named David, 4th grade was three Julies, and every year had so many Kathrines that even the nicknames were starting to double and triple up. In high school, I shared my exact name, first middle and last, with a classmate and the administration hosed poo poo up constantly over it. Unusual can have its benefits. Kylee-Bell and Magnatron will never have the wrong transcripts sent to a college they're applying to. But I guess some people might laugh at them so better name everyone Bobby and Sue forever.

That's why you give your kids old timey names like Eustace and Wilberforce.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 20, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
One of the sneaky best things about being a recruiter is you get to see a ton of cool names. I've learned how to pronounce Mongolian names. :toot:

Best one I've seen so far was a normal first name but the last was Deigns. Imagine going though your life as _______ Deigns. Would kick rear end.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I took a kid's ID at work the other day, and motherfucker's first name was Maverick. Way back at a previous job, I met a baby named Justice. My own name is about as common an english name can possibly be, so I'm always tickled to see really cool unique names like those.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My kids name is Arthur Clark cause I and he rules

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So what's with the rumors that when Trump loses in Nov, he's going to go start his own network/media thing? Is he really stupd enough to try to make his own TV channel?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gently caress all of you namechat motherfuckers

there wolf posted:

No why the gently caress would you do this, on one gives a gently caress about any of this name crap

"Hmm all of these people are smearing poo poo all over themselves. I don't really like it, but if these people are doing it then I guess I'll join in and try to become King Shitsmear of Dipshit Island!"

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress all of you namechat motherfuckers

No why the gently caress would you do this, on one gives a gently caress about any of this name crap

"Hmm all of these people are smearing poo poo all over themselves. I don't really like it, but if these people are doing it then I guess I'll join in and try to become King Shitsmear of Dipshit Island!"

Nice meltdown, but unironically.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PhazonLink posted:

So what's with the rumors that when Trump loses in Nov, he's going to go start his own network/media thing? Is he really stupd enough to try to make his own TV channel?

Because Trump is an unoriginal loser and the only move he has in his life is take a thing that other people have done and throw his name on a version of it. It's the reason the most optimistic evaluation of his wealth is half of what he inherited from his father in the first place. And the worst is "Effectively rich people poor".

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

some kind of media network, thing. his heart was always more in show business than anything else, he wanted to be a movie producer before he wanted to work in real estate

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Technogeek posted:

One guy I know named his son Loki.

Fortunately, said kid is far too young to become a brony.

I just want you to know that I really appreciated the sleipnir reference here.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ravenfood posted:

I just want you to know that I really appreciated the sleipnir reference here.

The opportunity to make it was basically the only reason I participated in the namechat, so I'm glad to see it didn't go to waste.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

It's hard to believe he actually thinks his behavior might lead to winning the election, so everyone's casting around for other explanations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Augus posted:

I finally found the issue with the "Days without Trump loving up" button. It's supposed to say "Hours".

It's not a button. It's a switch and it's stuck in the on position

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As a resident of Arizona, I hope you all appreciate our long term project to concentrate as many racist seniors into Sun City as possible.

We're nearing phase two, where we lower a concrete sarcophagus over the entire retirement community.

At least we have the Hispanic and Native communities, and even some of the college town kids, keeping us from falling into being West Florida. Plus, by concentrating old racists from the west, we allow Colorado and California to flourish. The midwestern ones can just go home and ruin their own states further.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

haveblue posted:

It's hard to believe he actually thinks his behavior might lead to winning the election, so everyone's casting around for other explanations.

I still don't know why he thought New York or California were ever in play for him

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I still don't know why he thought New York or California were ever in play for him

he was probably just saying stuff. art of the deal baby

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

Tweet Trump, Tweet!

Please!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Now I want Trump's next tweet to be about namechat somehow.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dicks assassin posted:

If African-american people have become refugees, and Clinton will give jobs to refugees, that means she will give jobs to african-americans. Sounds pretty good to me.

That's an impressive level of incompetence to accidentally make a syllogism against yourself.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheBizzness posted:

Did I miss where someone posted about Trump saying black people "live in poverty, so what do they have to lose?" By voting for him?

Because I didn't see it and god drat is this guy something.

It actually makes sense if you understand that this is basically his sales pitch to poor white Americans.

The problem is that Black people actually know what they have to lose.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Deified Data posted:

I like how he doesn't even make an effort at the "rolled up sleeves to make it looks like I'm here to do work" conceit that politicians always try when they're forced to do stuff like this. He's got his jacket and his stupid hat and his flag pin and he's gonna pass you this industrial pallet of playdoh whether you want it or not.
He brought toys. Toys are nice and whatever, but couldn't they at least have pretended to be useful?

At this point I'm more offended by the laziness of the attempt than the lack of compassion. We expect Trump to be disingenuous and stupid, but how often do we see both at the same time?

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

there wolf posted:

If my options are Jennifer or Bellaswan, I"m going with Jennifer.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

He really wants LA and NYC big shots to respect and adore him. Wasting time and resources on two of the bluest states in the union is a disastrous mistake for him strategically but if this is all about massaging his ego NY and CA are must-win states.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

KittenofDoom posted:

At this point I'm more offended by the laziness of the attempt than the lack of compassion. We expect Trump to be disingenuous and stupid, but how often do we see both at the same time?

Very frequently.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Yinlock posted:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!
Since we're doing name chat, I always love to share this one: my kid's mother and I were going over baby names. I suggested "Gideon."

She loved it because that's what Jigsaw was going to name his son :unsmigghh:

Anyhow, that's how my son got his name.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If I ever have kids, my game plan is to pick names from Castlevania. Half of them are european enough to not look like I named them after video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Freakazoid_ posted:

If I ever have kids, my game plan is to pick names from Castlevania. Half of them are european enough to not look like I named them after video games.

I wonder if the kid would realize ALUCARD is DRACULA backwards before he hears about SotN.

• Locked thread