Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cliff Racer posted:

Those special elections are actually pretty useful for the winner (who typically also wins the regular 2 year term as well) as it allows them to get in seniority over all of the people who begin their terms with the new congress.

In this case though the primary for the seat's next term is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Those special elections are actually pretty useful for the winner (who typically also wins the regular 2 year term as well) as it allows them to get in seniority over all of the people who begin their terms with the new congress.

they're also useful if you're shelley "dracula oval office" sekula-gibbs because then you get to be a real life congresswoman for two months :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Finally the goon party gains a foothold

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
great news! tulsi gabbard won her primary! another victory for the le-

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/649615636088365058

oh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
NC House Majority Leader resigns. A Duke Energy employee before he was elected, the story suggests that he has pushed their agenda in committees and bills.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

NC House Majority Leader resigns. A Duke Energy employee before he was elected, the story suggests that he has pushed their agenda in committees and bills.

he's just gonna go be a lobbyist for duke energy

a bunch of the guys like him who were there for the 2010 takeover are retiring this year or have quit already. nearly 20 republicans alone have resigned or announced their retirement this year already

that seat is unopposed so whoever they pick will automatically replace him. 58 out of 120 state house seats are unopposed this year. hooray for democracy

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Despite her awful foreign policy views Gabbard actually is pretty solidly on the left.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cliff Racer posted:

Despite her awful foreign policy views Gabbard actually is pretty solidly on the left.

gabbard was a notorious social conservative a decade ago (the kind that calls their opponents "homosexual extremists"), when she was part of the hawaii state legislature, then she went to iraq and came back saying she's a leftist now. she's probably about as left as her district forces her to be, but sooner or later it's going to catch up with her.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
she's pretty hot, she can call me an homosexual extremist anytime

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Cliff Racer posted:

I guess. I find it hard to get past the pretty hateful comments on gay people. Feels like she's just riding this Sanders thing a la Canova.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xandu posted:

I guess. I find it hard to get past the pretty hateful comments on gay people. Feels like she's just riding this Sanders thing a la Canova.

That's sort of the impression I get from her as well.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
She's also a big fan of Indian PM Narendra Modi, the guy who, as Chief Minister of Gujarat, led race riots where hundreds of muslims were killed.

Didn't Gabbard have some really terrible policies about homeless people too?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ego-bot posted:

She's also a big fan of Indian PM Narendra Modi, the guy who, as Chief Minister of Gujarat, led race riots where hundreds of muslims were killed.

Didn't Gabbard have some really terrible policies about homeless people too?

i thought her connections with the BJP go deeper than that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
She is very sympathetic to the Hindu / Indian nationalist movement. She was fairly anti-gay and very anti-Muslim because of that.

She has softened her views on gays a lot and Muslims a little bit in the last few years though.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

sharkbomb posted:

Now that's some good poo poo!

PA: RCP has McGinty (D) at +2.6 over Toomey (R) with lots of recent polling. Clinton is +9 over Trump in PA so I think McGinty will outperform those numbers if you ran the election today because of depressed R turnout. This Hot Take is based solely on gut instict and wishful thinking

Was the NC senate race ever considered a close race previously? I haven't been hearing much about it.

That is the first poll so far that's had Burr losing. Richard Burr has mostly avoided the negative cred that HB2 has cost other Republicans in NC, by publicly denouncing it. On every other issue, he's just as much of a scumbag of course. And Ross is one of the people on the ballot I am most excited about voting for.

Burr did go to the RNC though, and he endorsed Trump. So if Trump collapses, that could very well bring Burr down with the ship.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
burr's got a massive cash on hand advantage though

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/status/765956980779413504

bayh running is really loving up republican chances to keep the senate

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
From the Trump/GOP thread:

zoux posted:

*Paul Ryan picks up the phone*

"Listen here, guy who tells me what Donald Trump just said I-"

"Sorry sir, I'm the other guy."

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/765929214059089920
Like someone was asking over there, I wonder if Trump's performance above Romney/McCain in rural areas and weakness relative to them among Rs in urban/suburban areas will mean a D majority has a higher threshold this year than in the past? Or maybe we'd just see a different composition of swing districts flipping this year versus traditional thinking? I guess like otf was saying last page, this stuff changes quickly :shrug:

https://twitter.com/PoliticoKevin/status/765970013429850113
Hope this continued tepid support can open up some ad opportunities for Strickland

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

thethreeman posted:

From the Trump/GOP thread:

Like someone was asking over there, I wonder if Trump's performance above Romney/McCain in rural areas and weakness relative to them among Rs in urban/suburban areas will mean a D majority has a higher threshold this year than in the past? Or maybe we'd just see a different composition of swing districts flipping this year versus traditional thinking? I guess like otf was saying last page, this stuff changes quickly :shrug:

https://twitter.com/PoliticoKevin/status/765970013429850113
Hope this continued tepid support can open up some ad opportunities for Strickland

The way gerrymandering works is by basically compacting one party's voters into as few districts as possible while spreading yours into as many as possible while still maintaining majorities. This is usually done by creating few highly urbanized districts which go like 75-25 D surrounded by many suburban ones which go like 55-45 R and then fill in the gaps with big rural ones which go 75-25 R. The rural ones aren't huge in number and aren't really at risk of flipping, and the margins in the urban ones are just going to be bigger, but the suburban ones are where the "flip" happens. Trump alienating the squishy-R suburban demographic by being shitballs nutso runs the risk of flipping the house and flipping it hard, because of those small-margin suburb districts the GOP put together in 2010 thinking it was a great idea. The margins in those suburban ones is such that a D+9 result in generic congressional polling is where that tipping point is hit in enough of those suburban districts to give the Dems a house majority. I'd prefer seeing it D+15 like the national Hillary numbers but people are weird about congress since most folks don't even know who represents them.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

The way gerrymandering works is by basically compacting one party's voters into as few districts as possible while spreading yours into as many as possible while still maintaining majorities. This is usually done by creating few highly urbanized districts which go like 75-25 D surrounded by many suburban ones which go like 55-45 R and then fill in the gaps with big rural ones which go 75-25 R. The rural ones aren't huge in number and aren't really at risk of flipping, and the margins in the urban ones are just going to be bigger, but the suburban ones are where the "flip" happens. Trump alienating the squishy-R suburban demographic by being shitballs nutso runs the risk of flipping the house and flipping it hard, because of those small-margin suburb districts the GOP put together in 2010 thinking it was a great idea. The margins in those suburban ones is such that a D+9 result in generic congressional polling is where that tipping point is hit in enough of those suburban districts to give the Dems a house majority. I'd prefer seeing it D+15 like the national Hillary numbers but people are weird about congress since most folks don't even know who represents them.

Thanks. I'm biased by the district I grew up in - a liberal town/burb dwarfed by a district extended out in one direction with rural counties. Places where people like Romney had little connection to the rural voters, and zero support in the blue dot, but where I expect Trump to run away with it. Gerrymandering happens in a lot of ways I guess, need to read more about it

thethreeman has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Aug 17, 2016

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Just wondering, Rubio is running unopposed for his senate seat and Murphy and Grayson are still competing with each other. It looks like Murphy will win. Can we expect a bounce to his poll numbers after clinching the nomination?

I'm hopeful just because, with the exception of Trump losing, I want nothing more than to see Rubio humiliated twice in one year and a his political career ground to a halt.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ego-bot posted:

Just wondering, Rubio is running unopposed for his senate seat and Murphy and Grayson are still competing with each other. It looks like Murphy will win. Can we expect a bounce to his poll numbers after clinching the nomination?

I'm hopeful just because, with the exception of Trump losing, I want nothing more than to see Rubio humiliated twice in one year and a his political career ground to a halt.

I don't think any of the recent polls have specifically broken down how many Grayson voters are committed to voting / not voting for Murphy in the general. Statistically, there are likely some people, but not a huge amount. Once Murphy becomes the official nominee, I'd expect him to increase his polling a little bit.

He's not getting the 7 points he needs in the most recent poll from consolidating Democratic support though. He needs turnout to be very high for him, very few or no split ticket voters, lower turnout for Republicans, or current Rubio supporters to leave Rubio.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/08/texans-down-on-cruz.html
god I can't wait to see how different these #s are after a trump loss

quote:

PPP's new Texas poll finds that Ted Cruz has become unpopular in the state, and he could be in trouble for winning the Republican nomination in 2018. Overall only 39% of voters in the state approve of the job Cruz is doing, to 48% who disapprove. It was already clear from national polling that Donald Trump had come out ahead in his feud at the GOP convention with Cruz, but we find that even in Texas 52% of Republicans now say that they prefer Trump as their nominee this year to only 38% who would go with Cruz.

The skirmish with Trump seems to be contributing to an overall weakening of Cruz's position with Republicans in the state. Only 50% of GOP voters say they'd like Cruz to be their Senate candidate again in 2 years, to 43% who say they would prefer someone else. He hovers right around that 50% mark in hypothetical match ups against both Michael McCaul (51/19) and Dan Patrick (49/27). Against Rick Perry though, who shares Cruz's universal name recognition, Cruz faces a 9 point deficit at 46/37.

Ahead of Castro 48/36, though

Another article out today saying McCaul hasn't ruled out running against cruz

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

thethreeman posted:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/08/texans-down-on-cruz.html
god I can't wait to see how different these #s are after a trump loss

Ahead of Castro 48/36, though

Another article out today saying McCaul hasn't ruled out running against cruz
If things look dodgy in 2018, he'll do what Michelle Bachman did and drop out to campaign full-time for the Republican presidential nomination in 2020, rather than face the chance of defeat. With luck, he'll do just as well as she did.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
2018 is a long time off and Trump will be out of the picture in under three months. I think Cruz keeps his seat, although he's obviously hated by his senate colleagues and ineffective at getting Texas-beneficial legislation through.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ego-bot posted:

Actually Rubio still has some rich rear end in a top hat running against him. I heard an attack ad against Rubio from him on the TV the other day. Dude's got about a snowball's chance in hell of making it, but he's there.

Murphy's bigger problem is everyone knows who Rubio is and relatively no one knows who Murphy is. He's started airing actual ads and stuff so this may change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rubio's challenger is a Tea Party rich guy who hates him personally or something.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh lord, I just looked at the "new" DKE and its worthless. I think its safe to say that the old Swing State Project is dead now. Go on, count the articles that aren't about Trump.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/meredithk27/status/766765463611187200
Looks like they're blaming it on (1) the conventions resulting in bad media coverage for republicans, and (2) donors focusing on protecting the senate

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

what's the smart money saying about the total house composition at this point

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zas posted:

Dems win seats but not enough. I think the smart money though doesn't take the trumpening seriously enough and his upcoming campaign against the rnc when they pull his funding.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Dems win seats but not enough. I think the smart money though doesn't take the trumpening seriously enough and his upcoming campaign against the rnc when they pull his funding.

And voter apathy when Trump supporters see his campaign as a lost cause in early November.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

We're also about to find out the true value of a well-run GOTV campaign. Obama outperformed his polls in 2012, at least slightly, and that's been attributed to his better GOTV campaign. We're a couple months from seeing what that same machine does against Trump's Twitter account and whatever the RNC is hastily throwing together. Romney, for all his faults as a candidate, made his best effort at putting together a GOTV campaign.

That's the real wild card in this election, as no one really knows how much of a difference it makes, because every candidate up to this point has done their best to keep matched up with what their opponent is doing. Given how a lot of House races are decided by relatively small numbers of votes, even in places that reliably vote Republican at the top of the ticket, I think the chances of Democrats flipping the House is understated.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What's first on the agenda for Dems if they get the senate and house? Watch them piss away two years and not do anything because they're afraid of actually doing anything.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

What's first on the agenda for Dems if they get the senate and house? Watch them piss away two years and not do anything because they're afraid of actually doing anything.

Approve HRC's Supreme Court nominee.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nth Doctor posted:

Approve HRC's Supreme Court nominee.

Garland will be confirmed in the lame duck.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I would think a new VRA but we'll see.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I take it we're assuming the Democrats remove the filibuster for legislation in this scenario.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zas posted:

Current "smart money" is "Dems pick up between 10-20 seats," with Dems needing 30 to take House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

Garland will be confirmed in the lame duck.

Yeah I don't get why people don't realize this. If Clinton wins and the Dems get the Senate then Garland's getting confirmed immediately so that the GOP can avoid having Clinton pick someone who might be decades younger and more liberal. Their best case scenario is that she re-nominates Garland and I don't think that'd happen.

evilweasel posted:

I would think a new VRA but we'll see.

This followed by fixing gaps in the ACA and building it out further where needed. New VRA would hopefully include things such as preclearance for all which was needed from the get-go.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I take it we're assuming the Democrats remove the filibuster for legislation in this scenario.

They absolutely will. The only reason they didn't remove it entirely before is because the Dem leadership were idiots who trusted the GOP. The second Ted Cruz or some other chucklefuck filibusters a Clinton nominee, especially for SCOTUS, the filibuster will finally be killed off entirely.

• Locked thread