Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Spatula City posted:

would love to see Water/Steel Alola Kingler.

That's a type combo that's come up a lot, and was my idea for a Mega form. Seems like a lot of people think it would work -- especially since it's a pretty unique combo.
On the other hand, if they keep the same Hidden Abilities, Water/Rock for STAB, Sheer Force-boosted Rock Slide :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Alola Kingler isn't even a water type. Besides the local Rock crabs, Hawaii also has an invasive species of crab they've been having trouble with- the terrestrial Coconut Crab, which leaves the shores during adolescence and loses the ability to breathe in water. Sounds like a good excuse for a Rock/Water Alola Krabby to evolve into a Rock/Grass Kingler.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I don't care if its Kingler or a new thing, we need a coconut crab pokemon. It would be a travesty to make Pokemon Hawaii and not include that thing.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

We have Crustle, who's kind of a coconut crab (Coconut crabs are essentially gigantic hermit crabs who are so large that they don't need to hide in snail shells). But I'd be on board with a Rock/Grass Kingler. Especially since that combination's only been used on Cradily.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why are Ice-types usually so slow?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They're Ice-types, everything they do has to be an uphill battle.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ice is hard and vast, so the Pokemon that represent it should be defensive and slow.

That works with its type weaknesses, right? No? Well... ice is hard and vast.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ice-types a effective against Dragon-types, a type where everything in it learns Flamethrower and Earthquake and is significantly faster.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ice isn't weak to ground. But they mostly learn Rock Slide or Stone Edge too.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They move at a glacial pace. :colbert:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Funky Valentine posted:

Ice-types a effective against Dragon-types, a type where everything in it learns Flamethrower and Earthquake and is significantly faster.

They're also weak to fighting, where Mach Punch, and Close Combat are common in the metagame, and every figthing type has at least a base 100 speed.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015

Spatula City posted:

would love to see Water/Steel Alola Kingler.

There need to be more water/steel types, let's hope for a T-1000, or a Metal Slime camoe.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

:siren: We got an Alolan Crab! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1hsh267tUM&t=13s

It looks kind of like a coconut crab, too! And man, that name. Such a good pokemon. Gen VII looking so good.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Solumin posted:

It looks kind of like a coconut crab, too! And man, that name. Such a good pokemon. Gen VII looking so good.

THAT IS A RED PANDA POKEMON :neckbeard:

I'm dying I need to buy a 3ds right loving now so I can get ready for this

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Solumin posted:

Does anyone else think that crab looks like Glass Joe?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BlazeEmblem posted:

Does anyone else think that crab looks like Glass Joe?

I think you mean Larry.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't want to be that guy, but a number of the new designs aren't doing it for me. :(

Thus far, I'm only partial to Pikipek, Vikavolt, Cutiefly, Sandalit, Mimikyu, the Lurantis line, the Palossand line, Wishiwashi, and Solgaleo.

Though, now that I look at it, that's more than I was expecting.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think the only new designs I'm not particularly a fan of are the Lurantis line, because it's just "pink Leavanny", and Bounsweet, because it's just "Cherubi, again"

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
New regions and their Pokemon always produce divisive results. Don't worry about disliking some of these Pokemon because it's likely there will be a few more tucked away of varying quality. I'm liking all of the ones revealed so far, but we still don't know enough for me to be planning teams yet. I do know that I probably won't be going for Litten now the final form is revealed. Fire/Fighting is just boring at this point, it's a little disappointing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Roro posted:

New regions and their Pokemon always produce divisive results. Don't worry about disliking some of these Pokemon because it's likely there will be a few more tucked away of varying quality. I'm liking all of the ones revealed so far, but we still don't know enough for me to be planning teams yet. I do know that I probably won't be going for Litten now the final form is revealed. Fire/Fighting is just boring at this point, it's a little disappointing.

I think a water/ground pokemon that looks like a firefighter would be a pretty good gag at fire/fighting supremacy.
At least fire/fighting hasn't hit the point of oldschool grass/poison

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Roro posted:

I do know that I probably won't be going for Litten now the final form is revealed. Fire/Fighting is just boring at this point, it's a little disappointing.

Er, revealed where? I wouldn't trust rumours, and the final forms aren't on the official SuMo site, so...eh?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Aerdan posted:

Er, revealed where? I wouldn't trust rumours, and the final forms aren't on the official SuMo site, so...eh?

Sadly, the leak for Litten's Final Evolution had Mallow in it, so it's most likely true.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Silegna posted:

Sadly, the leak for Litten's Final Evolution had Mallow in it, so it's most likely true.

But that leak didn't have the types of the final forms, did it? Everyone's assuming Fire/Fighting for Nyandre the Giant, but I could see Fire/Dark, too.

Roro posted:

I like a lot of the designs, but really we don't know anything about how usable they are -- we don't know stats or move pools. So I'm not planning my S&M team yet, but I'm appreciating the new designs.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Solumin posted:

But that leak didn't have the types of the final forms, did it? Everyone's assuming Fire/Fighting for Nyandre the Giant, but I could see Fire/Dark, too.

I like a lot of the designs, but really we don't know anything about how usable they are -- we don't know stats or move pools. So I'm not planning my S&M team yet, but I'm appreciating the new designs.

Planning your team around viability rather than coolness? What kind of monster are you?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

FoolyCharged posted:

Planning your team around viability rather than coolness? What kind of monster are you?

Thank goodness nearly all the viable monsters all happen to be cool as well.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, it's not like I'm going by competitive viability here! I just don't find it fun to use pokemon who can't hit hard and take a hit. Or if they don't have any moves that complement their typing or stats.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Solumin posted:

It's more that I'm sick of the fire starter going from quad-bipedal.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Nothing wrong with wanting to use Pokemon that are both Cool and Effective. Sometimes people can only take so many Hitmonchans and Lunatones before they get tired of dealing with their friend's Favorite Pokemon Ever Tyranatar single-handedly sweeping their team generation after generation.

My first team almost every generation has a core built around Raticate tho, because some of us are gluttons for punishment want to make their favorites work. It's practically tradition at this point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On Pokemon Showdown, my Guts Raticate w/ Flame Orb managed to knock out three Pokemon in a row. :3:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On Pokemon Showdown, my Guts Raticate w/ Flame Orb managed to knock out three Pokemon in a row. :3:

Yeah, The usual way I wind up using him is as a Status Absorber with either an Orb or Scarf- against most teams it usually isn't too hard to find someone willing to do the work of bringing empowering suffering for you. Use him with something that tends to draw out will-o-wisp or Toxic users.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Silegna posted:

It's more that I'm sick of the fire starter going from quad-bipedal.

Fair enough. I suppose it's probably a tradition now and they'll use that in every Fire starter design. Same way all the grass starters are reptiles... though I guess Chespin and Rowlett both break that tradition.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

TOP PERCENTAGE. :black101:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I am SO IN for the red panda stuffed animal. :3:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Stufful is precious and I will take 20.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Solumin posted:

Fair enough. I suppose it's probably a tradition now and they'll use that in every Fire starter design. Same way all the grass starters are reptiles... though I guess Chespin and Rowlett both break that tradition.

Birds are dinosaurs are reptiles. :colbert: (I'll give you Chespin though.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 35: Badgering a Master

Blackthorn City

Man, I hope my product gets all the Dragons' approval. Okay, with that reference out of the way, let's go in.

Dragon's Den

Huh, that was a short cave.

Gah!

We're not done with dragon trainers just yet.

We're getting pretty up there in levels. Definitely not on track with how we were in Yellow, but still fine for the curve we're on.

: You're not allowed to just go in!

Neat.

: A shrine honoring the dragon POKéMON said to have lived in DRAGON'S DEN.

Man, does no one believe I got in here legit?

: When I do, I'm going to become an admirable dragon trainer and gain our MASTER's approval.

(Pia): Who are you?

Now that's just rude.

(Pia): Meanie.

: MASTER will be angry with you.

That's all the trainers in the area, so let's grab some items and head down.

We'll have to get rid of this Whirlpool to move on, but I'm not teaching that garbage move to any of my team, so during these times I'll be bringing along the Red Gyarados. It's a very useful HM Slave, able to learn all three of the Water HMs, but no area in the game actually requires all three.

Yeah, yeah, I'll go inside in a minute.

In Gold and Silver, just picking up the Dragon Fang was enough for Clair to give you a badge. Now it's just something you can find. Now normally, the Dragon Fang would boost Dragon moves by 10%. However, due to a glitch, the Dragon Scale does this instead as well as evolving Seadra through trade. Therefore, the Dragon Fang does nothing.

Alright, in we go.

: CLAIR sent you here, didn't she? That girl is a handful... I am sorry, but I must test you. Not to worry, you are to answer only a few questions. Ready?

We've got three choices and, depending on the question, there's either one or two right answers. You can probably guess what it is, but try not to get any wrong. The Master will pretend to not hear you if you do, so you don't have to restart the whole quiz, so it simply changes the prize at the end.

I mean, I have been using Action Replay codes here and there, but let's not mention those.

Well I have been fighting everyone in order to combat the terrible level curve. I dunno if I succeeded.

While I may have thrown profanities around when things go wrong, I've been very happy with how my team has performed in this LP.

That is just the selfish perception of peohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it.

: You care deeply for POKéMON. Very commendable. That conviction is what is important! MARINA, don't lose that belief. It will see you through at the POKéMON LEAGUE.

Clair's Theme

: I guess there's no point in asking. You did fail?

: You're lying! Even I haven't been approved!

: This child is impreccable, in skill and spirit! Admit defeat and confer the RISINGBADGE! Or must I inform LANCE of this?

: Here, this is the RISINGBADGE... Hurry up! Take it!

Dragon's Den

"waterfalls."

: Also, all POKéMON will recognize you as a trainer and obey your every command without question.

: Reflect upon what it is that you lack and this child has.

Well that's one way to get a badge.

Yeah, brb.

: He looks so much like our MASTER did in his youth. It's in their blood.

"approval."

: In fact, not since Master LANCE.

Now that looks much better. We're ready for the Pokemon League.

: Here, take this as my apology.

: No, it doesn't have anything to do with my breath. If you don't want it, you don't have to take it. What's the matter? Aren't you going to to the POKéMON LEAGUE? Do you know how to get there?

: Then SURF east to POKéMON LEAGUE. The route there is very tough. Don't you dare lose at the POKéMON LEAGUE! If you do, I'll feel even worse about having lost to you! Give it everything you've got.

Aww, I think she likes us. Right, back to the Master.

: Your arrival is most fortunate. I have something for you. Take this DRATINI as proof that I have recognized your worth.

"clan."

: You have shown you can be entrusted with one.

This Dratini is special in that it has Extremespeed (Shinsoku: Swiftness), a Normal move with 80BP, 5PP and 100% accuracy with +1 priority, basically making it an upgraded Quick Attack. It will have this move if you answered all the Master's questions correctly, otherwise it'll have Leer instead.

Saves me catching one!

We still need to catch one though.

You can probably guess why.

Blackthorn City

: I have something here for you. Could you swing by my LAB? See you later!

I'm actually quite glad I got the right gender on the first try.

Now we can do that trade!

HP: 60 | ATK: 110 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 60 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 460
#200: Dodrio

"DRAGONAIR!"

: How is that DODRIO I traded you doing? Your DRAGONAIR's so cute!

Aw yeah, I've got a second Dodrio. And a second Smoke Ball. This is the best trade for me.

I think the Rhydon trade is a bit better, since you should have a flyer by now, but this trade is fine enough.

Route 45

That's everything in Blackthorn, so we need to head back to New Bark Town and prepare for the Pokemon League. This route has two distinct paths we can take: left or right.

Dark Cave

Just as soon as we finish up Dark Cave.

We're finally on the second side of the cave, with all those higher level encounters. Since we've already caught them, there's just a few items left to grab.

Oh wow, we finally get Ice Be-

...drat. Wait, why do they give you a second one???

Heh, don't think that's happened before. Anyway, nearly done.

: I had my BLACKGLASSES on, so I didn't notice you at all. What am I doing here? Hey, don't you worry about it. I'll give you a pair of BLACKGLASSES, so forget you saw me, OK?

: BLACKGLASSES ups the power of dark-type moves.

Route 45

Alright, 30 updates on, we finally cleared the Dark Cave. Now, we'll stick to the left side of the route on our first run through, which mainly contains tall grass and items. Lots of new Pokemon to catch!

HP: 90 | ATK: 120 | DEF: 120 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 60 | SPD: 50 | TOTAL: 500
#196: Donphan

Useless Body Slam paralysis strikes again.

Correct on both accounts.

: So, I just plow ahead with power! Sheesh, the way you attacked! That was something! We should meet again! How about giving me your number?

"like battling!"

Sure, I'll keep your number for like 5 whole minutes cause I've only got two slots left.

: It is foolish to use strong moves indiscriminately.

You're quite blunt, madam.

"ful moves."

: I want to win, but I also don't want to harm POKéMON.

HP: 65 | ATK: 75 | DEF: 105 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 85 | TOTAL: 430
#189: Gligar

Okay, that's everything on the left side. We're more or less at the end of the route.

: Because they're there. Why do I train POKéMON? Because they're there!

Same.

Just loudly shouting that doesn't make it true.

You're making me tougher though. Fun fact: this guy's team is all level 30s and two of his Pokemon, Fearow and Primeape, are Pokemon you face during the level 30 challenge. Tauros, however, is not.

: I never, ever lose there, but...

This lake marks the end of our journey. We're right next to Route 46, which we've already fully explored.

Couple more items and one last Pokemon to catch in the grass.

HP: 60 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 140 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 465
#198: Skarmory

Alright, that's everything we can do for now.

Now it's a simple matter of flying back to Blackthorn and heading to the right side of the route. Immediately, we've got another split, so we'll go left.

"raised properly!"

I, heh, rocked your world.

Have fun. The Pokemon levels there are terrible.

Since the split we just went down more or less immediately links up again, we can fly back to Blackthorn and face the other trainer on the right side.

"ing POKéMON?"

HP: 83 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 75 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 91 | TOTAL: 469
#012: Pidgeot

The gently caress's with this bullshit?

HP: 63 | ATK: 83 | DEF: 57 | SP.ATK: 95 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 105 | TOTAL: 490
#155: Electabuzz

"with care."

: The bond you build will save you in tough situations.

Right on.

Uh, training yourself, or your Pokemon?

: I must take to the hills and train in solitude. Our battle was remarkable! I wish for something to remember you by! Perhaps your phone number will do? My training makes it impossible to chat much, but...

"the mightiest!"

I think you're All Right, so you might have what it takes to become the All Mightiest.

Right right right.

: When it comes to sheer spunkiness, I'm the man!

HP: 80 | ATK: 110 | DEF: 130 | SP.ATK: 55 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 485
#036: Golem

: I keep drinking my POKéMON's! I can't help it!

We'll leave that guy to his addiction, because we're done with... basically every route in Johto! And here we are on the first route we travelled. Ah, memories.

It's good to be back home. Didn't the Professor need to see us?

Pokemon Lab

: Take this as a token of my appreciation.

:eyepop:

: It's the ultimate BALL! It'll catch any POKéMON without fail. It's given only to recognized POKéMON researchers. I think you can make much better use of it than I can, MARINA!

New Bark Town

Well I'll be sure to use that on a Pokemon that's worth it. And hey, since I care about my MOM in this LP, let's go visit her.

"hard, I see."

: Or is this about your money?

Crap, parents always know that's why you bother contacting them. They're good like that. Let's see how much we've got.

...holy moley that's a nice chunk. I won't be taking any out, we still need to save up, but we won't be having any money problems for the rest of the game.

However, since we're back home, we might as well put out the dolls our MOM bought for us. There's a lot of ways to decorate your room and we'll get more items later on.

For now, this looks good.

And next time, we'll head up the long road to the Pokemon League. Buuuuuut, we haven't checked in on SoulSilver for a while and I think it's also time for Battle Tower Level 30. Bye everybody!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gligar posted:

Well this is an interesting creature. With decent Attack, Speed and excellent Attack, this flying scorpion seems pretty useful.

I don't think Gligar's attack is interesting enough to mention twice. It isn't even one of its highest stats!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

If you want Earthquake, then you'd better have Stadium 2.

I didn't know Stadium 2 had reward Pokemon so I looked it up and you left out the most important part. You don't just need to beat your Rival in that game, you have to beat him in Round 2.
The Rival fight in that game is also basically equivalent to Stadium 1's Mewtwo fight, as it only happens when you've beaten everything else. So you do that twice and you finally get your Earthquake Gligar

For reference's sake when you beat Round 1 you get a Farfetch'd with Baton Pass

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I used to love getting a Skarmory just to breed it with a Spearow with drill peck. A Skarmory with drill peck was the best bird. :3: Ah, memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Shiny Gligar looks closer to the artwork than the regular sprite and that is really messing me up.

• Locked thread