Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wait are the Dangerous Games over? Braben said something to that effect but it's hard to find actual info :frontear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Yeah we won

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Kewl how's the power play going did you recruit enough pubbie vassals

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gromit posted:

I'm convinced to visit Felicity. Like I said, I'm new to the whole Engineers thing so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just wasting it on her. I might even have enough to max out one and get a healthy start on another if more than one of these guys accepts this data.
Thanks!

e: or maybe drop it on Elvira as she provides the same upgrades but also unlocks Qwent?

I ended up ranking Elvira to 5 and Felicity to about 5% of the way from 4 to 5 with just the exploration data, so that went pretty well. 20m space bucks worth.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Getting back in the game to pimp my Vulture. Sold off my python, can't bear trading anymore and for multirole / mission running I switched to a fully fitted clipper (more cost effective, agile, faster and sexier).

Now only one doubt besets me for the vulture - large gimbaled beam + large fixed frag, or large gimbaled beam + large gimbaled multicannon?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Why not two multi-cannons?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs7bYwtnp9s

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
D-did they just announce a superjump mechanic?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:magical: Who are you guys and what have you done to Frontier Developments?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Tippis posted:

:magical: Who are you guys and what have you done to Frontier Developments?

Seriously. This has me more pumped for 2.2 than anything so far.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
All the YT comments are complaining about it being instantaneous. Probably the same assholes that tried to argue pirating was griefing when the game first came out.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Xeremides posted:

All the YT comments are complaining about it being instantaneous. Probably the same assholes that tried to argue pirating was griefing when the game first came out.

Egads, flush those floaters.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xeremides posted:

Yeah, I mean, sure, I could have lived with having to buy some kind of carrier and cart the ships between stations, but I'm sure as hell not going to complain if you can skip more E:D-style tedium. Does anyone actually like the old Sidewinder shuffle?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

If actual people were flying around these ships you know that they'd be making them look hideously gaudy so I'm cool with it.

I will be tasetful in my abuse of ship kits

lift surfacesssssss

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Do these people not understand that sometimes in a video game you have to make concessions because it's a godamn video game. I certainly can't loving stand having to go fetch my FAS with half the jump range and 1/4 of the fuel as my Asp if I want to go do bounties or an engineer upgrade.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Holy shitballs, that is amazing! O_O

Instant transfer (and with these prices) is a little cheesy..but I'll take it!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Do these people not understand that sometimes in a video game you have to make concessions because it's a godamn video game. I certainly can't loving stand having to go fetch my FAS with half the jump range and 1/4 of the fuel as my Asp if I want to go do bounties or an engineer upgrade.

Now that you mention it, what are the odds that it's a response to the Engineers stuff?

They obviously fixed the blueprints and upped the pick-up rates because they noticed people weren't upgrading nearly as much as they had hoped. Maybe they've noticed that only certain ships are getting upgrades, and that some upgrades are getting no use, simply because it's such a faff to move around all those ships while carrying all the prerequisite commodities?

Dante80 posted:

Holy shitballs, that is amazing! O_O

I'm sure they'll fiddle with the prices before release, but it looks like it's essentially a multiple of ship cost, distance, and some simple scale factor so we can expect a “raise the scaling” thread in 3… 2…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 20, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

A lot of videos are pouring in from todays livestream. Lets do a recap. Important stuff first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitmkDZm4D4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exB4pRUQG8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LHSaGmcNUQ

(has the brown sea seen the instant teleport button for fighter/mothership?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs7bYwtnp9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy_LDugvTts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKDgIOsRV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuPOIfy1cyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-H_sVbXbg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RQZsBjMWBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrqijp3U2cY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt2yDlh0xEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-FLxmMZ7c0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-45sSMHmRc

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 20, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dante80 posted:

I love the 570,000 credit fee to move a Beluga. Witch space isn't cheap! :mitt:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I love the 570,000 credit fee to move a Beluga. Witch space isn't cheap! :mitt:

Well, you are a space whale after all..

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
^^ :golfclap:

...what did they change? Something cosmetic in the transitions?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yes..you can see the star you are jumping to while in hyperspace, and it has the correct hue.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dante80 posted:

Yes..you can see the star you are jumping to while in hyperspace, and it has the correct hue.

Hmm. The final appearance could be smoother — it still looks like it just appears rather than grow properly out of the distant star, but it's still a neat addition.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Tippis posted:

Hmm. The final appearance could be smoother — it still looks like it just appears rather than grow properly out of the distant star, but it's still a neat addition.

Yeah, they acknowledged that in the live stream, but you can see they're working to make it more seamless. The fade-in entering Witch-Space, for example.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dante80 posted:

(has the brown sea seen the instant teleport button for fighter/mothership?
50 pages since this morning, prevaling opinion seems to be that this is a slap in the face:

quote:

I'm starting to think that we have a Beatles situation at FD with game design.

John, Paul, and George are taking time off and Ringo, a great drummer, is writing all the songs.

quote:

I am concerned that instantaneous transport of ships weighing hundreds of metric tons to a station breaks the science-based roots of the game. While transporting itself is a great idea, having the ships be available at once seems a little silly and potentially something that will increase the gap between dedicated and casual players even more.
I even saw someone calling for the return of the DDF, to save Frontier from themselves. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sooooo neat videos and features and all, but is the mile wide lake getting deeper than an inch yet?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Ciaphas posted:

Sooooo neat videos and features and all, but is the mile wide lake getting deeper than an inch yet?

Uh....do...do you want to transport passengers as cargo instead of just things? If not, then no. If yes, still no.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man. I'd be playing this game in VR for basically forever if it didn't just wear out its welcome after about 45 minutes. :(

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Brown Sea Idiot posted:

dedicated and casual players

Because dedicated players like tedium, because somehow tedium = content.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ciaphas posted:

Nope. Game sucks and everyone here hates it.

hope this helps :hfive:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy poo poo, ship transfer.

Holy poo poo.

BTW I solved my Vulture multicannon vs frag cannon dilemma when I rolled a "short range blaster" mod for my beam that gave it +damage, +dps, -power draw and range of about 2km, and then learned that there's a "double shot" mod for the frag cannon - it's gonna be knife fight all the time, every time. Beam the shields away while closing in, then blamblamblamblam you're dead :getin:

(the multicannon is cool but more apt to jousting from mid-range imo, I put a couple of large ones on my clipper paired to 2 med beams and they gently caress poo poo up real nice from afar, much better than 2 large pulse + 2 med multi that I used to have, but that's just not how I roll in the Vulture)

Edit: "We need a timer that takes at least as long as a player would to fly any distance. 20kLY should take at least a week, cost the earth and there should be a chance of ship loss."

I love how people are still completely retarded about "immersion" in this game. Of course we can't take a mechanic that adds convenience, it should take at least as much time as actually doing it yourself, plus cost a lot and maybe delete your ship in the process. Also Braben should come to your house and personally punch you in the face for daring to spoil the pureness of the '84 ideal

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 20, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Nope. Game sucks and everyone here hates it.

hope this helps :hfive:

Believe me, I want to like it! :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So what was the outcome of that event a little bit ago where player groups were competing to become a new powerplay faction or whatever?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Fuuuuuuuuuuck instantaneous ship transfer for like a dozen different reasons. I want QoL improvements, not lowest common denominator pubbie pandering.

Welcome to a game universe of everyone taking a FSD-pimped Asp-E or Anaconda EVERYWHERE, then just swapping to a specialty ship to perform specific tasks. gently caress realism, or planning ahead, or having to actually balance your fleet; just slap a Class D FSD in everything but your interstellar roadtrip bus and awaaaaaay we go :argh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think that transporting a ship to you should be prohibitively expensive for everyday use but there should be a cheap option to transport yourself to the ship instead (leaving your current one where it is).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Trustworthy posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck instantaneous ship transfer for like a dozen different reasons. I want QoL improvements, not lowest common denominator pubbie pandering.

Welcome to a game universe of everyone taking a FSD-pimped Asp-E or Anaconda EVERYWHERE, then just swapping to a specialty ship to perform specific tasks. gently caress realism, or planning ahead, or having to actually balance your fleet; just slap a Class D FSD in everything but your interstellar roadtrip bus and awaaaaaay we go :argh:

if it is based on ship value + distance, you will be able to do this but it will cost you millions. Not everybody has millions to throw away. Those who do can actually already do the trip in an Asp or Hauler, and rebuy their ship near where they want.

The only silly thing I see people doing is going to far-off stations and teleport their murderboats there, but eh. if transporting a medium-sized ship 150 ly away costs 600k credits, I imagine bringing an FdL to Maia or Jacques would cost hundreds of millions.

For us normal people that don't want to spend their 2 hours of gaming jumping to a different ship, coming back, and not being able to actually play the game... this is the best thing ever.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

And this is bad? Am I not understanding something here? Source your quotes?

Also have you looked at the prices for a transfer? Most people don't have that kind of money, see also what TorakFade said.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I look forward to ship transfers to drastically ease logistics of setting up (and moving!) bases of operation so I can spread out into specialty craft without having to play the sidewinder taxi game every time.

I would also be content with going to the designated ship instead of having the ship come to me. But either way I'm grateful someone at Frontier is thinking like Elite is a videogame.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Trustworthy posted:

I honestly thought this was a brown sea copy paste until the :argh: at the end.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
What an awful opinion to have about a video game.

• Locked thread