Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know this seems like a minor thing but, well, it does play into a problem with the character I think.

Beatrix. When you first meet and fight her, this is her theme. Mega went for the "Mystery Sword" title, which is indeed the first title I ever heard for the song.

However, YouTube has it called "Sword of Doubt" and FF Wiki calls it "The Wavering Blade." If anyone knows Japanese, this is apparently the original name: 迷いの剣, Mayoi no Tsurugi

Now, I have seen many FFIX songs with many different translated titles. Indeed, it can be irritating. But something like "Loss of Me" being Rose of May (Beatrix's other theme, the piano one) is less of a problem because they both work.

However, with the first song, the title seems to clearly be suggesting Beatrix is uneasy about what she's doing; that she is hesitating in her duty to her queen. We see only a hint of this later on and it only really arises when Garnet is to be executed.

The fact is, Beatrix led two invasions that resulted in genocide and showed absolutely no remorse for any of it, in spite of what the song would have us believe. She's forgiven a bit too quickly, in my view. I often see her likened to this General Leo guy but even though I never made it far into VI, it always looked to me like Leo was kept in the dark as to just how depraved his Emperor was. Beatrix knew full well the mind of her own power-mad monarch.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I know this seems like a minor thing but, well, it does play into a problem with the character I think.

Beatrix. When you first meet and fight her, this is her theme. Mega went for the "Mystery Sword" title, which is indeed the first title I ever heard for the song.

However, YouTube has it called "Sword of Doubt" and FF Wiki calls it "The Wavering Blade." If anyone knows Japanese, this is apparently the original name: 迷いの剣, Mayoi no Tsurugi

Now, I have seen many FFIX songs with many different translated titles. Indeed, it can be irritating. But something like "Loss of Me" being Rose of May (Beatrix's other theme, the piano one) is less of a problem because they both work.

However, with the first song, the title seems to clearly be suggesting Beatrix is uneasy about what she's doing; that she is hesitating in her duty to her queen. We see only a hint of this later on and it only really arises when Garnet is to be executed.

The fact is, Beatrix led two invasions that resulted in genocide and showed absolutely no remorse for any of it, in spite of what the song would have us believe. She's forgiven a bit too quickly, in my view. I often see her likened to this General Leo guy but even though I never made it far into VI, it always looked to me like Leo was kept in the dark as to just how depraved his Emperor was. Beatrix knew full well the mind of her own power-mad monarch.

she really didn't, though. or at least we have no real reason to believe she was privy to all the plans. the black mages have done most of the killing, and as far as Beatrix knew they were only invading and occupying (see: post Cleyra). she was as surprised as everyone else with what Brahne did.

Beatrix's only known actions are dealing with the party and commanding the human forces. plus, she shows remorse in Alexandria after the party gets there for Dagger

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm probably gonna make custom music images sometime down the road if Tindeck croaks, and if so I'll go with the "official" song titles then since the ones I'm currently using are just causing more confusion than anything. Even though I think "Steiner Stealth" is the best music track name I've ever heard.

Actually managed to keep a recording this time so I'll try to get an update up in a few hours.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

she really didn't, though. or at least we have no real reason to believe she was privy to all the plans. the black mages have done most of the killing, and as far as Beatrix knew they were only invading and occupying (see: post Cleyra). she was as surprised as everyone else with what Brahne did.

Beatrix's only known actions are dealing with the party and commanding the human forces. plus, she shows remorse in Alexandria after the party gets there for Dagger

quote:

My troops alone would've been more than enough to take Cleyra.

I didn't train all these years so I could take a backseat to anyone...

Is this it, Your Majesty?

...No. I need one more! I must get the last jewel!

The only thing wounded here is her ego. Conscience? What's that?

She wanted to be the one to kill and subjugate all those innocent people herself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

WATER SOUNDS

She won't be a princess for much longer, Doctor Tot.
Ha ha ha... Indeed. I shall have to call you 'Queen Garnet' after the coronation.

General Beatrix, Master Steiner, will you help her?

Doctor Tot...
Princess... I know how hard this must be. But I will be by your side. Please take the throne with full confidence.

Alexandria's seen better days. The queen has died after essentially being brainwashed into attacking and conquering the neighboring nations, and the princess is having to take the throne after watching the traumatic death of her mother.

But it's also about to enter a new era with a wise and kind-hearted ruler. Queen Garnet will surely make amends for the war that ravaged Lindblum and Burmecia and elevate Alexandria into a greater and more prosperous nation. Between this and the Mist being gone, things are finally looking up for everyone.

-----

...everyone except Zidane, that is. This music's gonna play for the rest of the update, as a head's up.

What happened?
Maybe that Dagger chick dumped him.

Bingo...
This ain't like you at all, Zidane!

So it seems Zidane's fallen harder for Dagger than he let on. Of course, she's soon to be a Queen and thus can't be with someone like him, at least from Zidane's point of view. He's in quite a funk.

I heard you started a mini-theater.
That's right, darlin'! My plays are a hit!
Cool! Let's go watch!
Yeah!
Awright, cowboys!

That's awright, darlin'. Come on over whenever you want.

Huh!?

Hello...
I haven't seen you since you left Alexandria Castle! How are ya?
Well, a lot of things happened, but I'm doing fine. How about you? What have you been doing since we left the castle?
Me? Let's see... Oh yeah, it's been crazy since you guys escaped!

...what's her face, that girl general of Alexandria...

Marcus and I had to carry 'em out on our backs!

We gotta get goin' before Ruby gets mad at us again.
Oh yeah, she hates it when we're late...

Anyway, once again we're in control of Vivi alone in the streets of Alexandria.

Zidane's still not much for talking right now.

I tihnk his friends went to the mini-theater. The mini-theater was started by the last owner of this bar and a girl named Ruby.

I've forgotten what a pain it is finding artwork for everyone.

Please tell me if someone is hiring. I play a mean trumpet!

I wanna join them. I'm gonna work hard and gain the respect of the people.

So there's a lot of talking. Like, uh, it's probably gonna be three or four updates until we actually get back to gameplay. The start of Disc 3 is pretty much one big breather after the climax of Disc 2 and is pretty much the game's last chance to get really goofy, so it runs with it like no tomorrow. That said, there's a lot of great stuff to look forward to in these dialogue-heavy updates.

Anyway, there's quite a few ATE's available now. Let's check out the first one.

What a gigantic house! I gotta see the inside!

First is Eiko exploring Alexandria Castle. Having come from Madain Sari her whole life, she's certainly got a lot to take in.

Hey!

You hungry?

You VERY hungry?

You UNBEARABLY hungry?

WELP!

Personally, I think General Beatrix would make a better queen.

Hey, what does 'absolute' mean?

So, we've got another new minigame to play.

We can race Hippaul.

It's simple. Do what the screenshot says.

At first, Hippaul's easy to beat as long as you're even half-way into a rhythm.

But as you race Hippaul, he gains levels because of course he does. If you beat him, he goes up by one level, but if you beat him by a large margin, he'll jump up to the nearest multiple of 5.

For every multiple of ten Hippaul levels to, you get a card. Once he hits L80, you get the Athlete Queen key item.

I get him to L18 because screw wasting time on this game. Let's bother more NPCs.

Maybe?

Yeah, this relationship's gonna work out well.

No leaving town as Vivi, not that we really need to.

Time for another ATE!

Imagine them talking like this the entire time. Anyway, this is Benero and Zenero meeting with their brother, Genero.

Where have you been!?
We were worried!
Sorry, I've been training!

Yeah, training!
Training for what?
Tell us!

And sadly we don't watch the rest of this conversation pan out.

Yeah good luck with that.

The item shop is open, but nothing new.

Yeah...
But think about it... He's never been in a serious relationship before. He probably doesn't even know what to do with himself right now...

I'm sure he thought about that a lot. That's why he's in turmoil.
He looked so depressed...
Yeah... But this is something he needs to deal with head-on.

Last ATE for the update.

This is Artemicion, the moogle responsible for delivering Mognet letters. Basically, the guy whose job we've had to end up doing.

Hey, Stiltzkin! Long time no see!
Hey, Artemicion. Why does your coat look so shiny?

O-Of course I have!
Are you sure that you delivered all my mail to my friends?
Of course I did! You sent out 4.

Yeah, it's not really surprising now why we have to pick up the slack for this joker.

Sure why not.

I'm sure Princess Garnet will do a fine job!

That's why I put together a wreath made of roses for her gravestone.

So when Doctor Tot said the townspeople made a wreath for her, it was actually just one person. Alright, then.

The weapon and synthesis shops are open with new stuff, but we'll get to that later.

Can't get to the castle for now.

Though there's some stuff available to loot.

But I chose this inn because I heard it was 100 Gil for 3 nights.
Dear, let's just pay 300 Gil and stay at this inn.
Well, um, it's coronation week, so the rate is 120 Gil per night...
Wh-Wh-What!? What kind of a business are you running here!?

Yeah I'd be embarrassed too.

You think so, too?

If you remember, this guy is the Mayor of Dali. Apparently he's rich enough from making weaponized soldiers to afford a trip to Alexandria but arrogant enough to get into a fight with an admittedly-terrible innkeeper over 200 Gil. I found almost 4000 like a second ago, it's really not a big deal you twit.

Yeah good luck with that.

Regent Cid of Lindblum invented an airship that can fly without the Mist! Can you believe that? I wonder if they'll let me on that airship when I go to Lindblum...

Oh, I wish the chef that cooked for Princess Garnet's birthday party would come back!

Oh, right, we forgot Quina back at the Outer Continent!

Whatever.

No.

I see. Thank you.

We've got a brief opportunity to buy from Stiltzkin. An Elixir and a Pinion for 777 gil is pretty drat great.

I've been thinking about how the Mist disappeared, but I gotta do more traveling to find the answer.

Or Vivi could just tell you.

You're asking me why I don't deliver mail properly? I-I can't tell you...

We have a letter for Kupo but it can wait until we turn in our current Kupo Nut.

There's a Ramuh and Shiva card hidden in the bell. Seriously, Hippaul, find a better hiding place.

Anyway, to progress we need to go to this mini-theater and watch a play.

Can you do me a favor?
What is it?
I want you to see Ruby's play with us.

Well, it'll be nice to watch a play without inadvertently getting roped up into a massive adventure where you have to confront your own mortality amid constant dangers, so sure.

Cool! Go down the staircase behind us. That's where Ruby's theater is.
Bro...

At any rate, we're a distraction to prevent Ruby from noticing Blank being late. But who cares, free play.

Don't ya know I HATE it when yer late!?

Huh?

Strange, kinda...

Is he a friend of yers, Cinna?

I'm not old enough to be your uncle!

Hahaha... Yer a funny one. I like you! Wanna see my play, little fella?
U-Um, yeah.
Oh, what a sweetie! I like you even more! We'll get rollin' in a minute. Sit wherever you want.

Sounds like a good place to end things.

Next time, we'll catch up with the rest of the party and see how they're fitting into things. Things may get goofy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
We Are The Thieves! is a fantastic track for town exploring. I wish it played in every town, and also dungeons, and battles too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Artemicion, a sobering tale of why mailmen should avoid drugs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rarity posted:

Artemicion, a sobering tale of why mailmen should avoid drugs.

Colloidal silver, in particular.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The chefs busting Eiko's chops is always hilarious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ride ze shoopuf?

Pureauthor posted:

The chefs busting Eiko's chops is always hilarious.

I love how they all just mutually decided to bully a six-year-old on the spot. :allears:

Speaking of Alexandria, I have to wonder what the deal with the side-boss in Alexandria Castle is, anyway. But I guess I'll talk more about that when we get around to seeing the fight with it.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 20, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We Are The Thieves! is a fantastic track for town exploring. I wish it played in every town, and also dungeons, and battles too.

Except Treno, because Dark City Treno is great.

Dagguerro is also great.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

NikkolasKing posted:

The only thing wounded here is her ego. Conscience? What's that?

She wanted to be the one to kill and subjugate all those innocent people herself.

Alternate explanation: she thinks that the black mages and eidolans are overkill. Sure it's an ego thing, but it's also about honor. Her troops could take and hold Cleyra and Burmecia without needing to massacre everyone, but the magic can't do anything but kill. Beatrix doesn't understand why they aren't using her troops to take what they want without bloodshed. I will definitely acknowledge that Beatrix's characterization is pretty minimal, but it's clear from how she leaves your party alive every time that she doesn't like killing people she doesn't have to. The comment about gratitude is just reflecting on the changes she sees in Brahne as she comes to realize more and more that she and everyone else are just being used as tools by a monarch who is barely recognizable as the woman she first worked for.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Karia posted:

Alternate explanation: she thinks that the black mages and eidolans are overkill. Sure it's an ego thing, but it's also about honor. Her troops could take and hold Cleyra and Burmecia without needing to massacre everyone, but the magic can't do anything but kill. Beatrix doesn't understand why they aren't using her troops to take what they want without bloodshed. I will definitely acknowledge that Beatrix's characterization is pretty minimal, but it's clear from how she leaves your party alive every time that she doesn't like killing people she doesn't have to. The comment about gratitude is just reflecting on the changes she sees in Brahne as she comes to realize more and more that she and everyone else are just being used as tools by a monarch who is barely recognizable as the woman she first worked for.

this is the way I always read that scene. she immediately asks for forgiveness from the people of Burmecia when she gets back to the castle and turns on Brahne immediately when she confirms that she has gone completely off the deep end and is trying to off the princess.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I really like Disc 3 overall, especially the beginning of it. A potential downside though is that the game opens up a fair bit and so I always end up doing a discs playtime's worth of Chocograph's, grinding and other faffery inbetween the moment you get to do some exploring and the next story segment.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mega64 posted:

Oh, right, we forgot Quina back at the Outer Continent!

I played this game a couple of times and I had forgotten this and now I'm trying to remember how she joins back (please don't spoil).

I don't know why but Quina jumping on and off the plot so nonchalantly is very amusing to me.

In fact I think there is a big wasted "Oh poo poo we forgot Quina" scenario at the end of this disc that I will mention when it comes.

Quina best FFIX character :allears:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Speaking of Quina, I was wondering, does the special ATE you get for having less than 100 gil when you get hir back later count towards the Get All ATEs achievement?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I like the thread's new title though I don't know where it came from.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that myself, and laughed my rear end off. It's great.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
How many of them were after he was told to stop saying it??

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I like the thread's new title though I don't know where it came from.

I wanted a new thread title and was also curious how many times Steiner said Princess. I stopped count after 89 in Disc 1. I think the script had around ~350 instances total, so...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Love the icon too. I really enjoyed Steiner's spin-off with Zelda and Link, it was pretty weird seeing him with yellow eyes though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

I wanted a new thread title and was also curious how many times Steiner said Princess. I stopped count after 89 in Disc 1. I think the script had around ~350 instances total, so...

drat. I wonder if that beats the Senpai count from Persona 4.

Either way I definitely approve of this thread title change.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Has anyone been counting how many times Vivi trips/gets knocked on his rear end?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or how many times Zidane scratches his butt.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Both counts fall far, far short of the thread titles.

Like, Zidane's buttscratch and Vivi getting knocked down just broke 30 at this point in the game.

... I have not actually been counting though.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Are you sure that you delivered all my mail to my friends?
Of course I did! You sent out 4.

Yeah, it's not really surprising now why we have to pick up the slack for this joker.

Hey, he tries his best. The dialogue here changes slightly depending on how many Stiltzkin letters you've read. In this case, you missed 2 of them.

FIrst, in Pinnacle Rocks if you back right after the Ramuh sidequest:

GameFAQs posted:

When you want to exit Pinnacle Rocks, you will be given the option to leave
Pinnacle Rocks, or to stay. Stay in Pinnacle Rocks and go back to Monty.
He will say he’s just received a letter from Stiltzkin.

Monty: Kupo! This letter is tattered... It's from... Stiltzkin, kupo. I'm
scared. Read it along with me?
|
| This...
|
| might be...
|
| the end of me...
|
----------------------------------------------------------
Monty: What's wrong!? Kupo! What happened to Stiltzkin!?

And the second letter, after Zidane's storytime in Black Mage Village:

GameFAQs posted:

Later, in the Black Mage Village you find Mogryo. He’s just received a
letter from Stiltzkin.

Mogryo: It's a letter from Stiltzkin! Let's read it together! Kupo!
|
| I’m becoming familiar with the geography of
| the Outer Continent. My destination
| is Conde Petie.
|
| They exchange a special greeting
| with each other before entering
| the village… what was it?
|
| I think it was “Rally-ho!”
---------------------------------------------------------
Mogryo: It's actually 'Rally-kupo!' Kupo! Stiltzkin is so funny!

The reward for finding all of them? Stilitzkin responds with "That's right" instead. :shobon:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hahaha, I loving love that Artemicion gets credit for Zidane's work.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, it should be the opposite. If Zidane sends out all of them he Artemicion should go "What letters?" If Zidane got none of them, he should say "6"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

bradzilla posted:

Hahaha, I loving love that Artemicion gets credit for Zidane's work.

No, no. Whenever a moogle gets a letter from Stiltzkin, Zidane has never had his hands on it. It's always "I just got a letter from Stiltzkin, kupo! Let's read it together!" All Zidane does is show up when the letter does.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Zidane doesn't deliver Stiltzkin's letters. the moogles already have them when you talk to them about Mognet. Zidane is only delivering letters from the other moogles to each other

e: f,b

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

But if Zidane doesn't deliver them, then it shouldn't matter whether he reads them or not...?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Fister Roboto posted:

But if Zidane doesn't deliver them, then it shouldn't matter whether he reads them or not...?

And reading or not reading a Timber Maniacs magazine shouldn't affect the past, but it does. It's the inverse of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle - if you don't observe something, then it didn't happen.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nidoking posted:

And reading or not reading a Timber Maniacs magazine shouldn't affect the past, but it does. It's the inverse of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle - if you don't observe something, then it didn't happen.

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Imagine four Moogles on the edge of a cliff. Say a letter from the Moogle nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Moogles and takes the place of the first Moogle. The formerly first Moogle becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Mognet works the same way.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Incidentally, does anyone know how the scene plays out if you haven't seen a single letter?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last time, we checked in on Vivi as he explored Alexandria again. Today, we'll check in on our other party members, starting with Dagger.

Um...

In case you were curious, Zidane's obsession clearly isn't one-sided. Dagger's at a crossroads right now and not sure what to do and is under a crazy amount of pressure. Of course her mind's going to keep going back to the one man she cares about above no other right now.

And guess how that's gonna work out?

You live in a different world now!

Princess, it is time for you to get changed.

Yes, sir!

You may think it insulting that Dagger needs help changing clothes, but once you see the get-up they stick her in...

We then receive an Opal, Topaz, and Amethyst.

Well, that is all in the past...

These teach Dagger Shiva, Ifrit, and Atomos respectively. So she's gone from one summon in Disc 2 to five in Disc 3 (including Leviathan from the end of last disc). And we'll actually grab one more before we get control of her again.

Spoilers the game isn't done after Disc 2 of 4.

Master Steiner, do you intend to stay here and watch?

Steiner, aloof as always.

I'd like to see Zidane... Please?
Now may not be a good time.

Your Highness...
I know... It's okay.

It's looking like those crazy kids aren't gonna get together today.

-----

First, I'll write him a love letter. I'm gonna make it the most romantic letter ever written!

This is Eiko's Theme with Song of Memories/World Map Theme over it. So yeah, give it a listen.

But she must perservere. The people of Alexandria are watching.

Ha ha ha... What gives you that impression?
You really want me to explain?
Oh, yes. I'm very curious.
Where should I start...?

Ha ha... You don't hold back, do you?
Hey, are you a writer?
Well, yes. I did make my living as a writer for a while.
Will you help me write a letter?
A letter? Gladly, if you think I can be of assistance.
Okay, then. Follow me.

That horn...

I'd never been as surprised as I was that day.

The woman was dead, but the girl was still breathing... Imagine my surprise as I looked into the girl's face! Because the girl...

With one exception...

A human with a horn... Where had she come from?

The girl cried out in pain...

But that girl who spoke to me... Could she be related to Princess Garnet...?

Here's some more answers. Now we know why Dagger doesn't have a horn and why she ended up becoming a princess.

Oh, excuse me.

Also we know that Tot gets distracted very, very easily.

-----

Seriously, how is this drat thing functional in any possible way. I know that functionality is the least concern here because nobility are loving idiots, but god drat seriously.

By the way... There is something I must tell you, Beatrix.
Yes, Princess?

Princess Garnet... Doctor Tot has already informed us. However...

Thank you...

Beatrix is loyal to Alexandria first and foremost. Even if the queen isn't the true queen by lineage, Beatrix will support her as long as she rules Alexandria right. I'm sure Steiner feels the same way.

-----

Zidane will fall in love with me the instant he reads this letter! Thanks, Mister!
Ha ha... It was my pleasure, my lady.
Oh, I forgot to tell you. My name is Eiko!

I hope to see you again! Buh-bye!

Madain Sari is the village of summoners... But I thought it was only a legend.

Doctor Tot has quite a bit to puzzle over for now.

But Eiko has bigger priorities right now.

Where did he go, anyway?

C-C-Can't breathe...!!!
Sorry! I didn't see ya jump out. But yer too high up. I can't getcha down!

Hey, if you can't get me down...deliver that letter to Zidane! Alright!?

Just hang out?

WATER SOUNDS

Huh?

Who just called my name?

Should we capture him?
No, he saved my life. You may go. I will handle this.

Ain't such a knucklehead anymore, huh?
Silence!

Steiner...hasn't really changed any.

But I bet you ain't got no ears for listenin' to a lowlife like me.
Are you talking about Zidane? Yes, he did protect the princess and her kingdom... But that doesn't change the fact that you are all thieves! I cannot let your kind roam about the castle!
No appreciation whatsoever, eh?

Hey, you know where Zidane might be?
He hasn't visited the castle since we returned.

One thing easy to overlook here, but Steiner's showing signs of actual respect for Zidane now. Who would've expected Steiner to come even that far by Disc 3? Of course, he's still wary of Tantalus in general...

I've had enough of yer self-righteousness!

And, well, that's the scene. That's all there is to that one.

Sigh...

Why...?

Let's see...

Did Steiner...

...OH BOY.

That loving love letter has only just begun its run of carnage and devastation.

-----

Are you all cozy on your throne already!?

Her smile! Her voice!

Zidane is very heartbroken and/or very drunk. I'll go with "and" myself.

She's right!
Why are you still moping? This isn't like you at all!
Yeah!
Stop it! You don't understand how I feel!

What happened? You look pathetic.

We can steal treasure together, just like old times!
Treasure, eh? There ain't much treasure lyin' around in this world, boy. Besides...

That's our rule number one, remember!? No, you don't. You got no right to join us. You understand what I'm sayin'?

Boss...

Gotta like the Tantalus crew's pivot to "Go win her over, you knucklehead." Of course, Zidane's still too mopey to actually pull this off, but people in love do very stupid poo poo.

And now here's Vivi.

Hey, Zidane, can we go see Dagger?
Gwahahaha! Why can't you be more honest, like this little guy?

Please?

Let's cheer her on before she becomes a queen!
Yeah!

So now we've got Zidane and Vivi in our party.

Gwahahaha! I lost it!

So much for that letter.

There's a couple new bits of dialogue here and there, but let's go to the dock first.

-----

Oh hey, there's Freya. Been wondering where she was.

...Are you really that tough?

I don't go looking for trouble, but I'll fight back if trouble finds me. Why don't you apologize, and maybe I'll forgive you.

So, uh, Freya and Amarant are getting along nicely, I guess.

Zidane! I'd love to stop and talk, but I'm busy right now.
Is she...a friend of yours?

Sorry, Amarant. She's just a little worked up about something.

S-Sure... Princess Garnet asked us to give special treatment to you, Master Vivi, and Miss Freya.
(Dagger...)

Do you know why I'm really mad?

Where have you been!? Dagger is about to become queen, and you're off wandering about!

Well? Answer me!
Um... Well, I tried to find more info, but...
Look, if Kuja was responsible for taking Dagger's eidolons...and killing Brahne, who was working with him...

You see, Freya is the brains of the group, or rather the common sense. Remember, Kuja ain't dead, and it certainly didn't seem like his ambitions were fulfilled with the death of Brahne. He's still a huge threat. That, and we still have two more discs ahead of us, so...maybe do some less moping and more preparing for poo poo going down, maybe?

FADE TO WATER SOUNDS

But what can I do? I couldn't even talk to her, remember? I don't even know if I can protect her... Besides, she's gonna be queen. She'll have all the guards she'll need.

Zidane's too focused on the negative. He feels since the two aren't destined to be together due to their lots in life, he isn't worthy of protecting her anymore, even though he's done just that plenty of times. Zidane's at a low point and doesn't even seem to think just how Dagger might feel about him.

But Zidane...

So... Let's go see her!

But even Vivi, who bears the weight of the world on his shoulders every single day he's alive, knows better. He probably doesn't really grasp the romantic aspect of Zidane and Dagger's relationship, but even a little kid golem can see how much the two mean to each other.

But we'll leave as soon as we're done.

You're not gettin' away from me. You still owe me a rematch.
Suit yourself.

Jesus Christ, Amarant, no one even gives a poo poo about your crap anymore. That was old two loving updates ago.

Anyway, listening to Zidane mope leads to the boat arriving, which we needed to progress the plot so we can get even more dialogue. But since Freya and Amarant have joined up, we now have a full party and are in better shape to get some shopping done.

If you know the shell game, there's a mini-game that's pretty much that. You start with 50 gil and can go double-or-nothing from there.

I'm usually pretty good at those kind of games, but I don't really want to spend a lot of time on this one, and again, I've got over 200k Gil so money is very clearly not an issue for me.

The Ice Lance is a nice, overdue upgrade for Freya, even though it doesn't teach anything new (only the MP-restoring White Draw, which an accessory already teaches). There's also Twist Headbands (Add Status, the lackluster Gamble Defense that randomly chooses a defense between 0 and 2x the default defense value for each attack) and Plate Mail (Locomotion, Undead Killer) that are new.

The synthesis shop also has a couple new items. There's the Anklet (Counter, Healer, Locomotion), but more importantly is the Angel Bless, another weapon upgrade for Zidane. This in particular teaches his final and easily his best ability, Thievery. The damage is (Number of Successful Steals * Zidane's Speed)/2. This is the reason why I always have Zidane steal constantly from enemies. Let's just say the first time I busted this out (and you'll see the damage in a couple updates), I was not disappointed.

For my own reference, Zidane's speed is currently 25.

Finally, Freya is lacking in levels, so I give her Level Up so she can catch up.

Better than that useless fishman.

Nice to meet you.

Is there anything we can do?

Oh no, Ruby's mad! It's gonna be a long wait!

You should stay away from Ruby for a while.

Maybe she's just tired of being treated like an after-thought in the Tantalus crew. She got ditched in Alexandria, and even when she reunites with her brothers Blank and Marcus don't seem to care enough to show up on time for a show she's passionate about. I'd be frustrated, too.

Anyway, let's loot some stuff.

Some stuff next to each bell...

The left tower is open, kinda. Only the base floor is open.

Another Stellazzio. Yeah, beating each other up for no reason will win over a woman's heart.

We can use this statue to visit the harbor.

Note: There is no reason to visit the harbor.

This update's long enough now. Next time: Yes, you guessed it, even more dialogue! As I said, the start of Disc 3 is chatty.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 22, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Steiner's arc is probably my favorite in the entire game. After his little internal monologue back in Treno and the escape from Alexandria, it's all in the background and very subtle, but it's definitely there, especially in his new role as Zidane's BFF. And he still manages to keep up being a lovable doofus and has quite possibly my favorite exchange in the game later on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wait, you said you have six Summons for Garnet right now? There's Ramuh, Leviathan, Shiva, Ifrit, and Atomos. Who's the sixth?

For the life of me, I can't recall which other Summon you're going to get before you regain control of her, unless you can get Odin's now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I must've been counting Odin (the actual sixth we can get in an update or two) in that six, my bad. It should be only five right now. Thanks for catching that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wait, you said you have six Summons for Garnet right now? There's Ramuh, Leviathan, Shiva, Ifrit, and Atomos. Who's the sixth?

For the life of me, I can't recall which other Summon you're going to get before you regain control of her, unless you can get Odin's now.

I'm pretty sure Treno's Auction House has a Dark Matter on the imminent visit

Also, I really like the whole affair with the Love letter. It's silly but it adds personality to the characters and it comes at the right time after a long series of gut punches that disc 2 was.

• Locked thread