Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

angryhampster posted:

My son is one year old today. I'm a very happy and proud dad. Love that little guy. :)
Proud dads are best dads. It just gets better and better.

meatpimp posted:

I'm waiting for my light bulb's firmware to update.
That's a September thread title.

Today was a good day at the office. Those on the FB group will see after I get some stuff posted up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

1500quidporsche posted:

So at least a third of my piston is sitting in the exhaust.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Voted for best one-sentence dystopian science fiction short story.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Roadkill Q&A on MTOD:

Finn "We should do more cars we're interested in"
Frei "What are you interested in?"
Finn "Mustang fastbacks"
Frei "What year?"
Finn "Whatever year doesn't run people over"
Frei "...what?"
Finn "Mustang guys are dangerous"

A+

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Tennessee. The law finally changed and went into effect this July. We are getting closer to being civilized folk.

Yeah but doesn't TN still allow open containers in vehicles?

Blue laws are ridiculous. Here no alcohol sales on Sunday....except in restaurants, get as drunk as you please in public in your church clothes.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are any of you guys planning on going to the IMSA race at VIR? I'm buying a Sunday ticket, and bugging my co-workers to go so I don't have to make the 3 hour drive myself. But a goonmeet would be fun too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pour some oil down the bore and see how much compression you get back.

Compression wasn't as much of an issue as piston mobility was.

Ended up just buying a used engine with 5 hours on it for $750. Got a spare starter and clutch out of it so its not the end of the world.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

angryrobots posted:

Yeah but doesn't TN still allow open containers in vehicles?

Blue laws are ridiculous. Here no alcohol sales on Sunday....except in restaurants, get as drunk as you please in public in your church clothes.

I think as long as the driver isn't drinking g it's fine... but I also think they changed it. Silly Baptists and their blue book laws.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Suggest a good cocktail. I have a lot of gin and tequila on hand.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 20, 2016

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

the spyder posted:

Suggest a good cocktail.

Boulevardier is good if you like a whiskey

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

Suggest a good cocktail. I have a lot of gin and tequila on hand.

Bombay Sapphire UK have what appears to be really good recipes on their website / social media. I've been meaning to try all of them however have not had the chance yet. Feel like being a guinea pig?

Edit: Here we go http://distillery.bombaysapphire.com/cocktails

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Voted for best one-sentence dystopian science fiction short story.

https://twitter.com/garwboy/status/495841851736608768

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

meatpimp posted:

I'm waiting for my light bulb's firmware to update.

It's a strange world.
I've done that a few times. Its a weird statement but I like my hue lights.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk posted:

I think I just got a free K1500 Suburban, but I have to drive it home 1250 miles. It was my dad's car that my sister used in Denver for a while and is pretty beat up, 1997/167000 miles. I wonder if it's worth two days of driving and registration/insurance. My sister tells me that it's due for tires and brakes soon and that the AC has a leak. I would like an occasional hauler but I'm not sure the car is worth more than a set of tires.

I don't suppose any CO goons want to drive this to Portland for me? We could figure out payment for time and expenses. I just started a new job and am pretty busy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I just watched a 17 year old chick singing for a band bitch some 40 year old dude for calling her jailbait. Dis is an entertaining concert.

And now shes quoting fury road...

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 20, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

I just watched a 17 year old chick singing for a band bitch some 40 year old dude for calling her jailbait. Dis is an entertaining concert.

And now shes quoting fury road...

You're going to jail.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ask me about my recent impulse purchase

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You're going to jail.

Given the headliner is otep, I'd place bets on in the hospital if I was stupid enough to try. :v:

Edit: If for some reason jailbait appealed to me. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elmnt80 posted:

Given the headliner is otep, I'd place bets on in the hospital if I was stupid enough to try. :v:

Edit: If for some reason jailbait appealed to me. :v:

The last time I saw Otep she played two songs, started a third, couldn't stop herself from going on an anti America rant instead of singing, and then she got bottled.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I just upgraded to an aftermarket CPU cooler and my god does it make a difference. Idling at least 10C cooler and hardly breaking above that during the ~10 minutes of gaming I tried. The stock cooler was doing ~3400RPM at idle and would shriek up to nearly 6000 after a few minutes of gaming.

Part of it might have had to do with the felt like layer of compressed dust between the stock heatsink and fan, though. :v:

I have new system fever but I think I'm going to dip my toe into OCing my current chip to see if I can get a bit more performance out of it first.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I bought an M3D mini 3D printer for $50.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

The last time I saw Otep she played two songs, started a third, couldn't stop herself from going on an anti America rant instead of singing, and then she got bottled.

She finger hosed a donald trump mask and said our governer was a gigantic piece of poo poo. Both got her loud screams of approval tonight. :v:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

I rather like it, but then again it's basically all I've ever wanted to do in a video game, so there's that. I'm curious to see how the game evolves over its lifetime with patches and content additions. This is one of those games like Minecraft that will be nearly entirely different a year from now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CommieGIR posted:

I bought an M3D mini 3D printer for $50.

I want one.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
So, Chris Harris' YouTube channel is now just advertisements for Top Gear website. What a boor.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Well the quote sent to my insurance regarding getting my car fixed is £2500 and pretty sure my car is only worth £1500 tops but it will be reviewed on monday as to whether it will be fixed or declared a total loss.
Got a brand new Toyota Aygo as a courtesy car which is essentially the same vehicle but updated.

#stancenation

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BoostCreep posted:

I rather like it, but then again it's basically all I've ever wanted to do in a video game, so there's that. I'm curious to see how the game evolves over its lifetime with patches and content additions. This is one of those games like Minecraft that will be nearly entirely different a year from now.

I think I could get into it, if I could actually play it. I got trapped on a planet, getting into the ship to leave crashes the game and no fix suggested anywhere works for me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

Well the quote sent to my insurance regarding getting my car fixed is £2500 and pretty sure my car is only worth £1500 tops but it will be reviewed on monday as to whether it will be fixed or declared a total loss.
Got a brand new Toyota Aygo as a courtesy car which is essentially the same vehicle but updated.

#stancenation

RIP little car

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Enourmo posted:

When it becomes a $5 purchase I'll probably join you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just been car shopping, both of the good cars we saw were at the same garage, same color, same price. Everything else we saw was dodgy or ruined somehow.

So I want the facelift multipla, wife wants the Citroen C8 7 seater.

Reasons to prefer the C8:
bigger
more seats
electric rear doors
simple lower mileage petrol engine
star trek dashboard

Reasons not to get the C8:
bigger will be harder to park
Extra row of seats literally will never be used, so I'll have to sell or scrap them if I don't want them filling the garage up.
Electric doors means more poo poo to break
Worse economy from the petrol

So basically I'm happy buying the new multipla and hoarding parts from the old one :v:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

freelop posted:

#stancenation

Definitely gonna be a write off. My 07 Aygo was worth £2k 3 years ago....

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

When it becomes a $5 purchase I'll probably join you.

Good call. It's a pretty good $20 early access game but it's a pretty awful $60 finished game. Hopefully they decide to finish it for free and not paid dlc.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Galler posted:

Good call. It's a pretty good $20 early access game but it's a pretty awful $60 finished game. Hopefully they decide to finish it for free and not paid dlc.

Come on.

It's an OK sandbox but there aren't any new sales coming in with the game in it's current state, and they'll be out of money soon. The actual game portion is going to be paid DLC, and they're going to go after whales with $50 ships.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't have any sympathies for people who hopped on the NMS wagon. Like it was announced for the PS4, computers aren't that insanely good, and Spore was released a few short years ago.

The only games that have genuinely surprised me with their depth in recently have been GTA5, MGS5, and various rogue-or-DF-likes.

E: lol what? Are they doing the star citizen path to funding? :laffo:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'll be honest NMS looks like I'd love it in its current state but I've a laptop and that's it. No plans to upgrade.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

I think I could get into it, if I could actually play it. I got trapped on a planet, getting into the ship to leave crashes the game and no fix suggested anywhere works for me.

With that little amount of time into it couldn't you just delete and start over?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

With that little amount of time into it couldn't you just delete and start over?

It's also horribly unoptimized, I get framerate stutter/texture artifacts/glitches galore even on medium settings. This is on my 960 that runs Fallout 4 pretty much flawlessly on high settings.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Enourmo posted:

It's also horribly unoptimized, I get framerate stutter/texture artifacts/glitches galore even on medium settings. This is on my 960 that runs Fallout 4 pretty much flawlessly on high settings.

I've heard it's terribly optimized which is probably never going to get fixed so it randomly runs like poo poo depending on your hardware. Shame because it sounds fun, although not 60 dollars fun.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Don't know if this blokes video's have made into the AI watchlist yet but what I've seen so far is good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKHVXc-S5o8

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
This isn't quite a recommend me a car request, more tell me what is worth pursuing request. With the surprise kiddo here and not going anywhere soon it's time to re-evaluate our current stable being an access cab truck, 2 door car, and 20 year old towncar. I'm going to dump the towncar and integra and look for something new(er) and very safe. Budget of around $23k as I'm selling a motorcycle too and don't want much of a payment if any. Will be buying around tax season when the government money is flowing. Cars thought about in order they came to me:

2016 turbo civic sedan with honda sense
2016 Accord Sport with honda sense
2016 Impreza wagon sport premium with subaru eyesight
2016 Legacy premium with Eyesight
2012 A4 Wagon
2012-14 Mercedes c300 4matic
2012-14 Acura TLX/TLX Wagon
2012-15 Acura ILX
?

Biggest questions are to the long term costs of the used vehicles. All would have to be automatic with the new cars being CVT's. Also considering used options of the listed new cars. Would a CPO A4 wagon be worth potential maintenance headaches? I can't believe how cheap the C300 4matics are. Located in the Seattle area for price reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The Certified Pre Owned C300 (or 328 from BMW) are cheap because BMW and Mercedes are locked into a pissing contest of "who sells the most luxury cars per day/week/month/quarter/year". This means both companies have a constant stream of 2-3 year old cars that need selling off, and those models usually have really competitive financing from their house financial firms.

• Locked thread