Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
You'd think that by now, teams would have learnt not to piss off the All Blacks in the lead-up to a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Tyma posted:

You'd think that by now, teams would have learnt not to piss off the All Blacks in the lead-up to a game.

NZ don't need extra motivation when they're playing Australia, besides they're not even needing to do anything special, the wallabies are just awful tonight, I'm at the game right now, we're all shocked by how bad they are.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Have the Wallabies just forgotten how to operate a lineout?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

loving lol this is an absolute pantsing.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Ditch Dagg and put McKenzie at fullback and give him goalkick duties. Problem solved.

Why? Dagg is playing well, and McKenzie is iffy, at best, on defence.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
That's at least 3 stone cold drops by Kiridrani.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Who was the Ab's bench player who didn't get a run? Every time the camera was on him he looked like someone poo poo in his cereal

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
"right off Adrian Strauss's face...that's a tough hooker"

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

A Small Toilet posted:

A Small Toilet posted:

http://gfycat.com/DisastrousImmaterialGalapagostortoise

Springboks.gif

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's beautiful.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
so previously I would go to the ESPNscrum website for good info. Seems like they have gone full retard. Like proper dumb. Why would you ruin a one stop shop for rugby news? Anywho, does anyone have a good alternative?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Warren Whitely and Faf de Klerk are both really good

butros
Aug 2, 2007

A Small Toilet posted:

Warren Whitely and Faf de Klerk are both really good

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

slothrop posted:

Who was the Ab's bench player who didn't get a run? Every time the camera was on him he looked like someone poo poo in his cereal

Probably Codie Taylor, who started the game, but had to be pulled off due to failing a concussion test early in the first half.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Vagabundo posted:

Probably Codie Taylor, who started the game, but had to be pulled off due to failing a concussion test early in the first half.

Early like first or second minute.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

For all we know, it could potentially end his season. Charlie Ngatai got a concussion shortly before his call-up to the All Blacks earlier this year, but hasn't been able to play since and James Broadhurst, who was a stand-out from the Hurricanes last year, didn't even get to log a single minute during the current season due to a concussion. Of course he'd look a bit glum.

So anyway, that' now 5 consecutive losses for the Wallabies, 4 of which are within this calendar year. They have had 4 consecutive losses in 2009 (All Blacks, Springboks, All Blacks, Springboks) and in 2013 (Lions, All Blacks, All Blacks, Springboks), but it's their worst run of results since 2005 where they lost 7 in a row (Springboks, Springboks, All Blacks, Springboks, All Blacks, France, England), which cost then-Wallabies coach Eddie Jones his job. Prior to that, you have to go all the way back to the 68/69 seasons for a run of results this bad (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and 4 consecutive losses to South Africa).

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 20, 2016

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

So what happens now, they disband Australian Rugby and they all go to league?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Smorgasbord posted:

So what happens now, they disband Australian Rugby and they all go to league?

The way we played against England, you'd have thought we already have... Unfortunately, I don't even know what game we were playing against NZ...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

So anyway, that' now 5 consecutive losses for the Wallabies, 4 of which are within this calendar year. They have had 4 consecutive losses in 2009 (All Blacks, Springboks, All Blacks, Springboks) and in 2013 (Lions, All Blacks, All Blacks, Springboks), but it's their worst run of results since 2005 where they lost 7 in a row (Springboks, Springboks, All Blacks, Springboks, All Blacks, France, England), which cost then-Wallabies coach Eddie Jones his job. Prior to that, you have to go all the way back to the 68/69 seasons for a run of results this bad (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and 4 consecutive losses to South Africa).

Ha, I claim a moral victory! The ABs fell for Australia's cunning plan of giving them space on the right wing!

Unfortunately the plan didn't say what to do after they went into the space.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

4 consecutive losses to South Africa.

just reading this makes me feel sick and i'm not Australian

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
So it looks like Gatland is going to be the Lions coach.

I wonder what the odds are on the Lions losing every game by at lest 30 points? Feels like a very tempting bet.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I was going to say "but they won the 2013 series against Australia" and then I remembered what happened this past weekend...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So it turns out Matt Giteau has a broken ankle.

quote:

Turning 34 next month, Giteau is shattered in the knowledge that he has almost certainly played his last match for Australia. Giteau made a big financial sacrifice to put his country before French club side Toulon, where the midfield playmaker is among the highest-paid players in world rugby.

I used to make fun of him for being a lovely kicker, but I feel really bad for the guy. He made the decision to put country ahead of paycheck and got a really rough deal out of it. Not to mention that he lost two RWC finals, more than a decade apart.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The Pro 12 are tagetting New York, Boston and Philaelphia as potential locations for the USA-based teams.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/full-story-behind-amazing-guinness-11789612

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Apollodorus posted:

So it turns out Matt Giteau has a broken ankle.

I used to make fun of him for being a lovely kicker, but I feel really bad for the guy. He made the decision to put country ahead of paycheck and got a really rough deal out of it. Not to mention that he lost two RWC finals, more than a decade apart.

I used to think he has garbage but I've definitely grown to respect him. He was also the last remnant of a once great Australian team.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Tyma posted:

The Pro 12 are tagetting New York, Boston and Philaelphia as potential locations for the USA-based teams.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/full-story-behind-amazing-guinness-11789612

I would welcome a NYC based club and any opportunity to watch a live match without waking up at 03:30 :haw:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Philly!!!! Yet another reason for me to go visit the city I used to live in. And they already have a great stadium...which is actually in Chester, an economically depressed and majority African-American city that has essentially zero rugby fan base beyond Widener University who a) are a poo poo school rankings-wise and b) their rugby team always beat my college's team and I wish we'd gotten a win over them just once dammit.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Anyone who wants to feel better about the state of their country's rugby organization should just take a look at this:

https://blog.ridnell.com/2016/08/22/a-letter-to-usa-rugby-congress-re-rim-pro-eagles-etc/

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Apollodorus posted:

Anyone who wants to feel better about the state of their country's rugby organization should just take a look at this:

https://blog.ridnell.com/2016/08/22/a-letter-to-usa-rugby-congress-re-rim-pro-eagles-etc/

I see the US looked at ways to build a rugby in their country and decided to pick the Scottish Rugby Union as their model.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

All Blacks
1. Joe Moody
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read (C)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Julian Savea
12. Anton Lienert-Brown
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Israel Dagg
15. Ben Smith

16. James Parsons
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Liam Squire
20. Ardie Savea
21. TJ Perenara
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Seta Tamanivalu

Wallabies
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (C)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Kane Douglas
5. Adam Coleman
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. David Pocock
9. Will Genia
:siren:10. Quade Cooper:siren:
11. Dane Haylett-Petty
12. Bernard Foley
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Allan Ala'alatoa
19. Dean Mumm
20. Will Skelton
21. Tevita Kuridrani
22. Reece Hodge
23. Nick Phipps

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm sure he'll get a warm reception. All blacks by 50.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37176409

Does anyone actually know what the circumstances of Finn's injury was? it sounds nightmarish, but I didn't see the replay nor has there been any real information on what exactly happened?

It sounds like his head got squished.

EDIT: Of course the Scottish curse strikes again in that we almost annihilated another player.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

It's funny how Quade tickles Kiwi bums that way... To me he's just an unreliable player who doesn't handle pressure well, which is why he always fails against the ABs. Unfortunately of the five SR teams, one plays a Saffer at 10, two have 10s that are barely above club level and one has a 10 that has just been diagnosed with cancer. Leaves Foley and Quade, and given our deep injuries at 12 and Foley's very bad form this year, we have no choice. ABs by 50.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

I'm sure he'll get a warm reception. All blacks by 50.

Uhh... Except Quade Cooper is the best, so All Blacks lose by 50!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

It's funny how Quade tickles Kiwi bums that way... To me he's just an unreliable player who doesn't handle pressure well, which is why he always fails against the ABs. Unfortunately of the five SR teams, one plays a Saffer at 10, two have 10s that are barely above club level and one has a 10 that has just been diagnosed with cancer. Leaves Foley and Quade, and given our deep injuries at 12 and Foley's very bad form this year, we have no choice. ABs by 50.

Because he's a joke.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Because he's a joke.

Seriously? So the knee to Sir's head has nothing to do with it? QC is the worst player Australia has ever fielded, and that's why you all hate him so much?

Whatever, he's the best we have to put into the position, which reflects badly on the state of our Rugby for sure, but not much choice, unless Gits or Beale make a miraculous comeback.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Seriously? So the knee to Sir's head has nothing to do with it? QC is the worst player Australia has ever fielded, and that's why you all hate him so much?

Whatever, he's the best we have to put into the position, which reflects badly on the state of our Rugby for sure, but not much choice, unless Gits or Beale make a miraculous comeback.

Honestly, it's a mixture of amusement at a guy who's made a career of being a gently caress-up in 9 games out of 10 getting selected on the back of that 1 game and the coaches that get dazzled by that bullshit, and the fact that despite all his bravado, he clearly gets rattled by a crowd.

I'm sorry you clearly feel like you have to defend that he gets chance after chance after chance, but surely, there's someone better that can be picked in the short term.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 25, 2016

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

he clearly gets rattled by a crowd.

And the NZ rugby fans know this and will keep exploiting it until he gets over it. Which isn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

WMain00 posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37176409

Does anyone actually know what the circumstances of Finn's injury was? it sounds nightmarish, but I didn't see the replay nor has there been any real information on what exactly happened?

It sounds like his head got squished.

EDIT: Of course the Scottish curse strikes again in that we almost annihilated another player.

He and Fagerson attempted to tackle the same player at the same time from opposite sides and they smashed heads.

Bonus picture Russell posted from hospital afterwards https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCYAaehU6V/