Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Timby posted:

I don't have the time to post a bit-by-bit breakdown of some of the stuff that's come out during discovery in the Axanar lawsuit, but the long story short is that the director of Prelude to Axanar has said, under oath, that Alec Peters developed Axanar as a spec project, that he believed that crowdfunding the fan-film would make CBS and Paramount bring him to the table, and his idea was that they'd buy it from him and he'd be one of the chiefs of Trek's creative future (and Tony Todd says that he was led to believe that Axanar was an officially licensed project). After they told him to pound sand, he started throwing his tantrums, doing profit-making ventures, all that poo poo.

What a piece of crap.

Well, if he was led on I'd say that goes a long way to explain some of the wilder poo poo that went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

I don't have the time to post a bit-by-bit breakdown of some of the stuff that's come out during discovery in the Axanar lawsuit, but the long story short is that the director of Prelude to Axanar has said, under oath, that Alec Peters developed Axanar as a spec project, that he believed that crowdfunding the fan-film would make CBS and Paramount bring him to the table, and his idea was that they'd buy it from him and he'd be one of the chiefs of Trek's creative future (and Tony Todd says that he was led to believe that Axanar was an officially licensed project). After they told him to pound sand, he started throwing his tantrums, doing profit-making ventures, all that poo poo.

What a piece of crap.

This story is the gift that keeps on giving. I really hope Discovery references the battle of Axanar, just to rub salt in the wound.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

Was the TOS warp scale squared or cubed? Like was warp 2 4 times the speed of light, or 8?

I do think this has the advantage of making things get hilariously, atrociously fast as you go higher, but also might raise some practical problems here and there. It might also require the occasional glance at practical limitations (like 'is the ship actually able to go fast enough to do what we want it to do').

I think even the warp cube thing is an unnecessary retcon, it's never mentioned on screen and it would still lead to ludicrous travel times at anything less than like warp 8. Even at that speed on the cube scale it would take like 3 days to get to Alpha Centauri from Earth. Warp 5 would just be a complete slog to get anywhere, weeks between even relatively close star systems.

It's just a number denoting plot urgency; it was never consistent from the start and trying to make systematic sense of it is impossible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This story is the gift that keeps on giving. I really hope Discovery references the battle of Axanar, just to rub salt in the wound.
I hope it's more like
Axanar was the Federation's biggest failure. They put a man in charge of something he had no business meddling in. We don't speak about it anymore.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

What a piece of crap.

pffffffft wow, how does someone get to be so deluded?

fake edit: Oh man, his bio on Memory Alpha has this gem too:

quote:

... Peters' repute has grown to such a degree that he was sought out to facilitate the auctioning-off of the production assets of the revamped 2003 Battlestar Galactica franchise. To this end he founded in 2008 his own auction company Propworx, Inc. that held multiple auctions, selling off production materials from several science fiction franchises, including four that involved the Star Trek franchise. Propworx went bankrupt in 2012, owing consignors and creditors hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Wait, wasn't everything that came out of Axanar pretty much overwhelmingly terrible?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I hope it's more like
Axanar was the Federation's biggest failure. They put a man in charge of something he had no business meddling in. We don't speak about it anymore.

We don't speak of Commander Boreale.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sash! posted:

I know WARP 9 ENGAGE!!!!!! is a Trek convention, but they'd have been better served by just using nautical conventions or reactor output percentages.

I don't know how fast Soviet Submarine goes, but in Hunt for Red October when the one dude says "go to 105% on the reactor" you know they're in a drat hurry.

This is the best solution. Plot a course to the Neutral Zone, maximum warp! It always has a better ring than random numbers.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

Wait, wasn't everything that came out of Axanar pretty much overwhelmingly terrible?

Prelude to Axanar was good... but yeah everything else is pretty lovely. I just watched the ENT episode where Reed and Major MACO have a "They Live" esq fight in the corridors, unfortunately, nobody was forced to wear glasses to see the non-corporeal alien of the week.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Re: warp chat, I didn't even know that that the scale was supposed to be logarithmic or whatever until I started reading this thread. I'd always just assumed that Warp 8 was twice the speed of Warp 4. They never say outright that warp 9.5 is many times faster than Warp 9 and not knowing that really didn't change anything about what was going on on the screen. I get that this stuff is all in the technical manual or whatever, but so much of what we see doesn't reflect that kind of massive difference between numbers. I mean, just think of all the time they spend puttering around at Warp 2 or Warp 4 or whatever. To me that always conveyed "we're not in a big hurry" as opposed to "we're willing to spend weeks doing something that would only take us a few hours at top speed." It would be like if a modern naval ship decided to just turn the engines off and start rowing for a while. Yeah, it saves energy, but come on. Also the whole Warp 5 limit becomes even more absurd.

Plus every time there's a sequence where they're speeding up/slowing down, they tend to go through the Warp factors at a more-or-less even interval.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What gets me about the universal translator is that it makes people appear to be speaking whatever language you are. This seems like it would be way too easy to be a spy. That Romulan guy can kidnap Troi and she doesn't even have to learn Romulan, she can just speak normally and everyone else hears Romulan. I can understand how they could trick the brain into hearing the right language, but surely the person's mouth won't line up since that person is actually speaking their native language. I don't understand how the captain of the warbird didn't immediately notice that this Tal Shiar officer's mouth wasn't lining up right. Or even that there isn't some mode that notifies you that the supposed Romulan you're speaking to is being translated. Like some sort of notification sound the first time you speak to someone to let you know they are speaking a different language.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What's weird in Beyond is that it implies everyone is actually talking English all the time, even the aliens. When the universal translator is busted out, there's actually a noticeable delay.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The_Doctor posted:

What's weird in Beyond is that it implies everyone is actually talking English all the time, even the aliens. When the universal translator is busted out, there's actually a noticeable delay.

It doesn't just imply it, it states it outright twice. Scotty is surprised that Jaylah speaks English (and she explains it as having learned it from the computers in the Franklin) and Uhura asks Krall why he knows their language (to which he says the he knows "their kind").

The universal translator works the way I always understood it was supposed to work, but on TV they couldn't really do it effectively since it would get obnoxious if there were more than one character using it. Plus by TNG I think they're supposed to be earpieces rather than speakers.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

cenotaph posted:

This is the best solution. Plot a course to the Neutral Zone, maximum warp! It always has a better ring than random numbers.

They do that with impulse, remember - "ahead, one-quarter impulse" from ST6 when Kirk tells Valeris to turn on the big engine while still in spacedock.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

The universal translator works the way I always understood it was supposed to work, but on TV they couldn't really do it effectively since it would get obnoxious if there were more than one character using it. Plus by TNG I think they're supposed to be earpieces rather than speakers.

By TNG it uses magic sonic fields to filter the sound so you don't hear the original, I think. They're built into commbadges.

Quark and Rom and Nog have ear implants, though, we saw that at one point.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Presumably they have a Federation standard language. Andorian, I imagine, because everyone other than the Vulcans would find it hilarious to make blueskin the lingua franca.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The ton of universal translator plotholes are the most glaring aspect of Trek not being "hard" sci-fi.

Even Archer goes undercover on an alien world, with UT tech that is shown to be in its infancy. All the undercover secret quadruple-agent plots wouldn't work as easily otherwise.

Of course, with their arbitrary tech, Kira and Troi could have simply had Cardassian and Romulan language written straight into their brains and it wouldn't have come close to being the least believable thing about those plots.

I loved how the UT worked in Beyond, but I was simultaneously annoyed at how different it was from every other Trek ever.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

DS9's fighters were really more like PT boats than space planes. It doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Yeah, "fighters" in Star Trek really only make sense as smaller ships that are used when you don't need a big one. Or, in the case of the Dominion war, they were probably pushed into service outside their usual capacities (probably patrol ships or scouts) because they needed to get as spaceboats as possible into the fight.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

In Star Trek VI they couldn't use the UT to speak to the Klingons when they were going to rescue Kirk because they said it would sound "too obvious". I guess the technology really improved in ~70 years to the point where Troi could pass as a Romulan so flawlessly.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Sure, but in S4 of Enterprise there's a plot where the Enterprise is putting off a Klingon signature to chase down Not-Data and Archer bluffs a Klingon ship via the UT that he's transporting the Chancellor, so it's not even consistent in-universe.

Which is like the core of Trek. They introduce something, give it a few token uses and then completely ignore it or contradict it at a later point.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

EvilTaytoMan posted:

In Star Trek VI they couldn't use the UT to speak to the Klingons when they were going to rescue Kirk because they said it would sound "too obvious". I guess the technology really improved in ~70 years to the point where Troi could pass as a Romulan so flawlessly.

In the novelization it's explained that the UT feed is broken and that's why we get that "hilarious" scene.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
How does the Universal Translator work?

"Very well, thank you"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The Universal Translator is like the transporter, it's there to facilitate the story and get it moving quicker.

Zurui posted:

In the novelization it's explained that the UT feed is broken and that's why we get that "hilarious" scene.

If I remember right the novelization suggested that Valeris sabotaged the UT.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Universal Translator is like the transporter, it's there to facilitate the story and get it moving quicker.

The problem with this (and with big inconsistencies in sci-fi in general) is when you break your own rules often enough that even casual viewers start to notice. The UT fades into the background enough that I doubt most people notice, but "why can't they just use the transporter?" is something I've heard literally every single time I've watched Star Trek with a non-Trek fan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Apollodorus posted:

They do that with impulse, remember - "ahead, one-quarter impulse" from ST6 when Kirk tells Valeris to turn on the big engine while still in spacedock.

Cattrall's reading of that line always bugs me. She puts an unusual emphasis on "only," when she says, "thrusters only while in Spacedock," and it makes it sound like Spacedock is the only place thrusters can be used.

mllaneza posted:

Well, if he was led on I'd say that goes a long way to explain some of the wilder poo poo that went on.

Don't forget, Axanar continued to promote Todd as being part of the cast for almost a year after he quit.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I remember right the novelization suggested that Valeris sabotaged the UT.

Valeris' betrayal is a complete blindside in the novelization. She's a POV character for part of it and at no point does it even hint at the idea that she's doing anything but being a good Starfleet officer. Then her betrayal comes around and it makes zero sense with her character. Valeris struggles with being a Vulcan because she was raised on another planet by a dad who gave up logic because the Klingons killed his wife. She was only was exposed to Vulcan ideals as an adult. Like, the motivations are there but she talks about how she's dealt with all that and decided to be Vulcan and then she decides to become part of this conspiracy for...reasons? The conspiracy to assassinate Gorkon is flimsier in the books because, once again, we get to see more of it and the Klingon side is just...what?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zurui posted:

Valeris' betrayal is a complete blindside in the novelization. She's a POV character for part of it and at no point does it even hint at the idea that she's doing anything but being a good Starfleet officer. Then her betrayal comes around and it makes zero sense with her character. Valeris struggles with being a Vulcan because she was raised on another planet by a dad who gave up logic because the Klingons killed his wife. She was only was exposed to Vulcan ideals as an adult. Like, the motivations are there but she talks about how she's dealt with all that and decided to be Vulcan and then she decides to become part of this conspiracy for...reasons? The conspiracy to assassinate Gorkon is flimsier in the books because, once again, we get to see more of it and the Klingon side is just...what?

Better dead than Fed

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zurui posted:

Valeris' betrayal is a complete blindside in the novelization. She's a POV character for part of it and at no point does it even hint at the idea that she's doing anything but being a good Starfleet officer. Then her betrayal comes around and it makes zero sense with her character. Valeris struggles with being a Vulcan because she was raised on another planet by a dad who gave up logic because the Klingons killed his wife. She was only was exposed to Vulcan ideals as an adult. Like, the motivations are there but she talks about how she's dealt with all that and decided to be Vulcan and then she decides to become part of this conspiracy for...reasons?

The story goes that the writers originally wanted to bring back Saavik, and have her be the one to betray the crew. Now THAT would have been shocking. But the powers that be wouldn't let them do it, so they invented Saavik 2.0 and called her Valeris.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

The story goes that the writers originally wanted to bring back Saavik, and have her be the one to betray the crew. Now THAT would have been shocking. But the powers that be wouldn't let them do it, so they invented Saavik 2.0 and called her Valeris.

Meyer wasn't a fan of Robin Curtis' portrayal and wanted Kirstie Alley back as Saavik. However, at that point, she had become a huge movie and television star, and the already cash-strapped production couldn't afford her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was it her or was it her agent that wanted more money?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My understanding is her agent wanted more money and she just wanted to be in more Star Trek.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

One more word about warp- in the second season TOS episode By Any Other Name, the Kelvans are able to modify the Enterprise so it can get to the Andromeda Galaxy in only 300 years, mercifully they only make mention once where Chekov cranks up the ship so that it goes to Warp 11.

They do so, but that's just while they're still in our galaxy; I'd imagine they cranked it up to something higher once they got past the negative energy barrier.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

Was it her or was it her agent that wanted more money?

The story is that her agent botched the negotiations on The Search for Spock (I think he never bothered to counter-offer the original proposal and never communicated it to Alley, only saying that they weren't offering enough). By the time The Undiscovered Country rolled around, she had already been nominated for multiple Emmys and had headlined several incredibly successful movies, so her price tag had skyrocketed.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 21, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Timby posted:

Cattrall's reading of that line always bugs me. She puts an unusual emphasis on "only," when she says, "thrusters only while in Spacedock," and it makes it sound like Spacedock is the only place thrusters can be used.

With you 100% on that. Meyer should have caught it when they filmed and it is really weird. The bad line read was playing in my head when I posted!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Timby posted:

Don't forget, Axanar continued to promote Todd as being part of the cast for almost a year after he quit.

That's not good, no. However it is exactly that that makes me believe Todd when he says anything that makes Peters look…. better.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Enterprise re-watch completed. I never actually saw "These are the Voyages" during its first run.

I'm sure there's nothing I can say about the episode that hasn't already been brought up, but god drat is that episode disgusting. I'd rather rewatch Threshold back to back than watch this one again. I get what they were trying to do, bringing two beloved characters back (plus Troi) and tying everything together as a series, but gently caress making so much of the focus of Enterprise's finale on other characters.

And gently caress killing Trip just to pull some last minute bullshit about giving weight to a finale. It's contrived as all hell and Trip was one of my favorites.

I'm glad to see most of the cast, Frakes included, have commented on how big of a misstep it was to do the finale like that. I'm a decade late on my rage, but gently caress that was an insult to the actors doing the show and the fans that enjoyed Enterprise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe all of the bad stuff in that episode was specifically from Berman/Braga or both. I know the TNG framing was for sure. It's just thrown in so poorly, since up until this point we've had little connection to the previous series shown in ENT beyond a few references like the Borg debris from 'First Contact' and (if you want to count it since it's in a different universe) the USS Defiant showing up in 'In a Mirror, Darkly'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mortanis posted:

Enterprise re-watch completed. I never actually saw "These are the Voyages" during its first run.

I'm sure there's nothing I can say about the episode that hasn't already been brought up, but god drat is that episode disgusting. I'd rather rewatch Threshold back to back than watch this one again. I get what they were trying to do, bringing two beloved characters back (plus Troi) and tying everything together as a series, but gently caress making so much of the focus of Enterprise's finale on other characters.

And gently caress killing Trip just to pull some last minute bullshit about giving weight to a finale. It's contrived as all hell and Trip was one of my favorites.

I'm glad to see most of the cast, Frakes included, have commented on how big of a misstep it was to do the finale like that. I'm a decade late on my rage, but gently caress that was an insult to the actors doing the show and the fans that enjoyed Enterprise.

Jolene Blalock was super pissed during the filming and was very vocal about how insulting the entire premises of the finale was from day one.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think part of the intention too though was to show how the two series were connected, to show ENT was "legit Trek" and part of the history of the world of TNG. It was a very poor time to show it. Had that been a midseason gimmick, it would have probably been a fan favorite on par with Trials and Tribbleations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I dunno about 'fan favorite', but yeah, it certainly would have been better received earlier in the season.

It's just incredibly pathetic no matter how you read it. For me it evoked the image of Berman and Braga sitting alone at a big conference table, moping about how the show had failed, and quietly wishing they could just go back to TNG when everything was simple and fun. Even if you take it at face-value and believe that it was an earnest "love letter to the fans", it's really sad that their best effort at doing something for fans of the show was so misguided and such a slap in the face.